Warning, Religious topic: Trying to find a faith

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SolidSnake2142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidSnake2142
Member since 2008 • 131 Posts

Hello all, I am wondering if any of you guys can help me out. I have been thinking about my spirituality a lot for a while now and I have decided to adhere to a faith. I have had no religious instruction so I know very little about religion and the various faiths outside of public knowledge. I have found myself leaning towards Christianity so I am going to read the bible, but I don't know which sects to look into after that. I wouldn't fit into a "fire and brimstone" church or really any extremist churches. But other than that I don't really know what to expect from a church.

So, to simplify, can anyone tell me the differences between say, Catholics, Protestants, Reformed, Baptists, Methodists, Evangelicals, Mormon, and Orthodox? Any info on other religions would be great too. I'm probably going to go with Christianity because of my friends/girlfriend/more comfortable with it but I'd be happy to learn something about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism etc...

auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
Try searching "what religion should i pick?" and hit "I'm feeling lucky." Worked for me :|
Dman0017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dman0017
Member since 2007 • 4640 Posts
if you don't see one out there that you like, start your own religion
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Find a jehovas witness and ask him to give you free bible lessons, when you know enough about god you can chose a religion. Thats what i m doing, the first and most important thing is to learn the bible
Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts
It's no such thing as finding a religion lol.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Deism is the only belief that involves the certainty in a deity that I could ever even consider believing in. Well that or Norse Paganism.:P
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
To tell you the differences between the different sects of Christianity would take a long time. Transubstantiation, and Predestination are the two biggest differences. The catholics also pray to the saints, and Mother Mary. They also believe in penance, and confession through priests, which isn't 100% necessary, but they get blessings if they do so.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Why fix yourself to religon? Just believe what you believe, there's no reason to absorb someone else's beliefs or attach a title to your beliefs.
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

First read this book

Then, this one.

These two books, along with the rest of the series by that author has completely helped me reshape my ideas about God and this world, and everything in them makes more sense then to me then what most organized religions have told me my whole life. I'd don't align to any specific faith (though the closest would be Christianity, since I still help at the church), but I try to understand the various interpretations and understandings that different societies have about God to get a better understanding for myself. Hope this helps! :D

pis3rch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pis3rch
Member since 2006 • 1695 Posts
the only true faith is Aztec shamanism. Magic mushrooms, burnt offerings, human sacrifice, orgies with temple priestesses.....what more could you want?
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

How does one "decide" to adhere to a faith? If you have no religion that makes sense to you, then it would make equally little sense to adhere to one of them.

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts
They also believe in penance, and confession through priests, which isn't 100% necessary, but they get blessings if they do so.imaps3fanboy
Like when I do something good and I get a cookie? :D
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
So i guess the truth doesn't mean much to you guys does it?
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darth-Caedus
torgies with temple priestesses.....pis3rch
I'm sold. Where do I sign up?:P
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GHlegend77

Hello all, I am wondering if any of you guys can help me out. I have been thinking about my spirituality a lot for a while now and I have decided to adhere to a faith. I have had no religious instruction so I know very little about religion and the various faiths outside of public knowledge. I have found myself leaning towards Christianity so I am going to read the bible, but I don't know which sects to look into after that. I wouldn't fit into a "fire and brimstone" church or really any extremist churches. But other than that I don't really know what to expect from a church.

So, to simplify, can anyone tell me the differences between say, Catholics, Protestants, Reformed, Baptists, Methodists, Evangelicals, Mormon, and Orthodox? Any info on other religions would be great too. I'm probably going to go with Christianity because of my friends/girlfriend/more comfortable with it but I'd be happy to learn something about Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Paganism etc...

SolidSnake2142

If you can't decide on a sector of Christianity, go with this. This is what I am.

SolidSnake2142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidSnake2142
Member since 2008 • 131 Posts

How does one "decide" to adhere to a faith? If you have no religion that makes sense to you, then it would make equally little sense to adhere to one of them.

GabuEx
I guess I worded that poorly. I'm trying to find a religion that makes sense to me but I don't really know where to begin, other than spending a couple hours on wikipedia looking up stuff.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
So i guess the truth doesn't mean much to you guys does it? dkdk999
What does that mean?
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darth-Caedus
So i guess the truth doesn't mean much to you guys does it? dkdk999
Humans do not, and like will not ever, know the truth behind our existence. It is rather egotistical for someone to claim that they do.
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GHlegend77
[QUOTE="SolidSnake2142"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

I guess I worded that poorly. I'm trying to find a religion that makes sense to me but I don't really know where to begin, other than spending a couple hours on wikipedia looking up stuff.

See my post. Or just follow this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-denominational_Christianity
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

SolidSnake2142

How bout find a new hobby instead?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

SolidSnake2142

Well, the main difference between all the different branches in Christianity are that they disagree on a bunch of stuff that has basically nothing to do with anything important Jesus ever said or did. :P I think it actively hurts one's ability to have a relationship with Jesus, really, if one concerns oneself greatly with all the doctrines and schisms that have plagued Christianity with division over the centuries. Jesus said that the two greatest commandments were to love God and love one's neighbor, and that almost all of the Old Testament could be summarized simply by the Golden Rule. I think an awful lot of people miss that point.

MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]So i guess the truth doesn't mean much to you guys does it? Darth-Caedus
Humans do not, and like will not ever, know the truth behind our existence. It is rather egotistical for someone to claim that they do.

Not to mention arrogant and very dangerous. Look at what people have justified doing to each other because they believed they were in possession of the "one truth". Thinking you have the whole Truth and that your Truth is the only right one, closes off any avenue for growth and evolution through new ideas. This is one of my biggest issues with Christianity. They are a prime example of what happens when a group believes they are in possession of the one Truth.

The truth is, there is no Truth. There is no single one absolute unchanging Truth, because Truth is everything. Truth is ultimately unknowable by our small minds and is something that can ever be pointed towards with signposts and pointers, but never grasped or fully known itself.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Don't even touch Baptism and Catholicism with a long stick. Baptists are crazy (no offense to the Baptists out there, but I live in the Bible Belt, so I have a very poor opinion on Baptists), and Catholics are far too conservative (I used to be one myself). If you are pretty liberal, I would suggest you look at Presbyterian USA (not the other sects), Epsicapalian, or Luthern. I'm a Presbyterian myself.

If you really want to branch out, I would reccomend also looking into Buddhism and Islam. There is much wisdom in Buddhism, and Islam makes a lot of sense if you look at it in the way that only the stupid Muslims are terrorists.

x8VXU6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 x8VXU6
Member since 2008 • 3411 Posts

Christianity FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

SolidSnake2142

You know you dont have to choose a faith right?

Maybe no religion suits your spiritual beliefs. Why limit yourself?

Do you just want to be a part of a religious community or do you feel a need to conform your beliefs to something widely accepted?

BonsaiMet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BonsaiMet
Member since 2010 • 542 Posts
As someone already said, why shoehorn yourself into one particular group? Just believe. what you want to believe and leave it at that. Religion has caused more problems than it's cured anyway.