Viruses...Re-installing the system???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SerbWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 SerbWarrior
Member since 2009 • 459 Posts

Viruses...cant live with them,you can live without them.

I hate them,as im sure everyone else does.

I had a ton of viruses on my PC,didnt use my anti-virus to often,so...i had to re-install my system.

So,this leads me to my question.

Did anyone else had to re-install their systems, and how often do you use your anti-virus program?

Oh,and which do you think is the best one?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I've reinstalled my OS on my laptop a couple of times, but not due to virus troubles. My anti-virus program is constantly running...
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
No and constantly running in background with system sweeps once a week and lastly i use zone alarm extreme security
Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts
It's been a really long time since I've ever had to deal with a virus on my PC. I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security since version 2006 and it's the best AV I have ever used. Low resource usage, high detection rate, hassle free once it's installed, unlike Norton or McAfee.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

I have OneCare and ironically updating it gave me a virus :?

KcurtorMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KcurtorMas
Member since 2009 • 1484 Posts

Well, I have a question. I had to re-install my OS a few months back, and I suppose it did away with my Anti-Virus program (McCafee). Is this horribly bad? Will mylaptop get screwed over in some horribly inconvenient way?? Its been fine for a while now, and I dont download anything, besides some mods for PC games sometimes...

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Marfoo

Well, I have a question. I had to re-install my OS a few months back, and I suppose it did away with my Anti-Virus program (McCafee). Is this horribly bad? Will mylaptop get screwed over in some horribly inconvenient way?? Its been fine for a while now, and I dont download anything, besides some mods for PC games sometimes...

KcurtorMas
Download AVG free, it's a good free AV. Just run a scan overnight every once in a while. Also the program Malwarebytes is a good program for getting rid of stuff too, also free.
KcurtorMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KcurtorMas

[QUOTE="KcurtorMas"]

Marfoo

Download AVG free, it's a good free AV. Just run a scan overnight every once in a while. Also the program Malwarebytes is a good program for getting rid of stuff too, also free.

Hey, cool. Thanks man.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

I had to restore my old PC once because of a virus. I had Norton installed for it but ever since that incident I don't trust the company anymore.

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
Nope, I take care of what's going on with my PC and I use common sense. The best antivirus is NOD32
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
I've had to re-install Windows a few times due to viruses. -.- Just reinstalled it yesterday actually...got a naaaaasty virus that I couldn't get rid of after 20+ hours of work. Didn't lose much though.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 _en1gma_

[QUOTE="Marfoo"][QUOTE="KcurtorMas"]

KcurtorMas

Hey, cool. Thanks man.

AVG is not very good, I recommend Avast for a free antivirus

Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Free_Marxet
Member since 2009 • 1549 Posts
1) Anti Viruses rarely work, and when they detect a virus they cant usually remove them effectively, the best way is to manually uninstlal the virus or have software specifically designed for specific viruses 2) If you use firefox, turn off javascript and java until necessary 3) Reinstalling your system is almost always not needed, computer tech guys will always recommend it because its the quick and lazy way to do things 4) I use linux, so I dont get viruses :)
Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Free_Marxet
Member since 2009 • 1549 Posts
[QUOTE="KcurtorMas"]

Marfoo

Definitely do not download AVG. AVG is one of the biggest reasons why I switched to Linux. I scanned known viruses that were common with an updated list only to have it say it was safe. AVG is false security, always has been.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _en1gma_
[QUOTE="Free_Marxet"]1) Anti Viruses rarely work, and when they detect a virus they cant usually remove them effectively, the best way is to manually uninstlal the virus or have software specifically designed for specific viruses 2) If you use firefox, turn off javascript and java until necessary 3) Reinstalling your system is almost always not needed, computer tech guys will always recommend it because its the quick and lazy way to do things 4) I use linux, so I dont get viruses :)

I use Windows and I haven't had a virus in...never pretty much...
KcurtorMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KcurtorMas

[QUOTE="KcurtorMas"]

[QUOTE="Marfoo"] Download AVG free, it's a good free AV. Just run a scan overnight every once in a while. Also the program Malwarebytes is a good program for getting rid of stuff too, also free._en1gma_

Hey, cool. Thanks man.

Even better. I dont think AVG was free anyway. I trust this is. Thanks!!

_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _en1gma_

[QUOTE="_en1gma_"]

[QUOTE="KcurtorMas"]

Hey, cool. Thanks man.

KcurtorMas

you're welcome
name294

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 name294
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts
right now im using kaspersky, and it seems pretty reliable compared to crap like McAfee and trend micro which i've used. Avast anti virus is a good free one though
zappolynk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zappolynk
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

i dont think this thread belongs on OT ,

and i reinstaled 1 because of a viruse

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Marfoo
[QUOTE="KcurtorMas"]

[QUOTE="_en1gma_"]

[QUOTE="KcurtorMas"]

Hey, cool. Thanks man.

There was a free version of AVG, just some people prefer the other free programs. Avast, AntiVir or BitDefender are all free take your pick.
CalibreS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CalibreS
Member since 2009 • 615 Posts
Kaspersky is probably the best now.
NaiveChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NaiveChild
Member since 2008 • 416 Posts

I have Avira running now, though I haven't had an infection since about 2002. Just gotta be careful.

^_^

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
Only once, I normally wouldn't but it was one sucka of a virus and I didn't have anything important on my computer anyway so I couldn't be bothered trying to deal with it.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

My anti-malware software is Prevx 3.0, made in England.

It runs in the background constantly, but it uses very little in the way of RAM.

I scan once per day, more if I install anything.

Prevx 3.0 advantages:

1. Does not use signatures, so all mutations are covered.

2. Blocks millions of bad files, whereas programs like Norton, AVG and McAfee only block a few hundred thousand.

3. Scans 40,000 files in only 2 minutes using the default scan.

4. Authenticates your good programs every time you update the software (Windows, browser, utilities, games, etc.).

5. Allows you the option to mark a detection as a false positive, if you know the file is good.

6. Costs only $25.00 a year.

7. Their Tech Support answers all tickets.

8. Tech Support answers are password-protected so only you can read their answers.

9. Online protection means that if one Prevx user is hit with a brand-new virus, then every other Prevx user worldwide is automatically protected.

crazygamer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 crazygamer1
Member since 2003 • 845 Posts

Once I reinstalled my OS, was using Trend Micro at the time, got a nasty virus. Now I have Comcast internet so I get Mcafee for free, so that's what I use now, run it about once a week, plus yahoo's anti-spy and window's defender, haven't had any issues for well over a year. :D

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

i dun have any anti-virus from any kind, and every thing is fine, anti-viruses prgrammes are Placebos, they dun work most of the time.
anyway you can start by restoring your system to an earlier time, if that doesn't work, then formating and re-installing the whole OS, i usually re-install the OS every 2 months or so.

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Marfoo

i dun have any anti-virus from any kind, and every thing is fine, anti-viruses prgrammes are Placebos, they dun work most of the time.
anyway you can start by restoring your system to an earlier time, if that doesn't work, then formating and re-installing the whole OS, i usually re-install the OS every 2 months or so.

2mrw

That is terrible advice

Even though you can avoid viruses by playing it safe you are still very vulnerable. I have been to innocent websites where Kaspersky tells me it blocked some kind trojan, and it all it takes is one to download its friends. You can't fix stupid when it comes to getting viruses, but antivirus is your first level of damage control, and Kaspersky is an excellent damage control.