Vegetarians and eggs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

So here is something I was thinking about the other day, do vegetarians go out of their way to avoid eggs? Now obviously they won't be ordering an omelette any time soon, but what about all the things made with eggs in the recipes? Things like cookies, cakes, and many other things all use eggs, do vegetarians (in general) try to avoid these things or is it not something that is really thought about before eating?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

If they do, then they're going to have a hard time finding pastries and desserts that would live up to their standards of benevolence.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

Eggs aren't an animal - isn't it vegans that don't eat that stuff?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@Engrish_Major said:

I keep mixing vegetarians and vegans together. To my understanding, the former don't eat meat and that is that, while the later don't eat anything relating to animals, whether it be eggs, milk, butter...etc. Does that sound about right?

Also is my use of "to my understanding" there ok?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Mmmmmmmm, eggs.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Engrish_Major said:

I keep mixing vegetarians and vegans together. To my understanding, the former don't eat meat and that is that, while the later don't eat anything relating to animals, whether it be eggs, milk, butter...etc. Does that sound about right?

Also is my use of "to my understanding" there ok?

Yeah, that sounds about right.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

that's more of an issue for vegans

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Serraph105

@Engrish_Major:

Ahh! Yes I forgot that most commercialized eggs are not fertilized. I suppose that would take the worry out of the decision.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

Vegeterians aren't a cohesive ideological group.

The vegetarians I know don't eat meat more because of some cerebral revulsion to do with eating flesh, than as a result of an ideological opposition to harming (or in this case- exploiting) animals. Also, I have never met (knowingly) a self-declared vegeterian who didn't eat eggs (as opposed to vegans).

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Eggs coming from the industry aren't fertilised, even biological eggs are usually not fertilised.
There are people out there though who honestly think that a chicken can't lay eggs without a rooster...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Grocery store eggs are less developed than human embryos in the first few weeks of development. I don't view it as eating an animal, more akin to eating a placenta. That being said, I'm open to vegan arguments that forcing animals to produce eggs/milk for us is wrong. If I saw some evidence that those animals were in noticeable agony while doing so I might reconsider (and I know they are in some environments, which is why I support farms that try to make animals as comfortable as possible), but I really don't see how using animal products is bad in itself if they're able to live decent lives.

As to the question, there are a lot of recipes for eggless pastries and such.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Serraph105

@theone86:

I absolutely advocate for the use of fake eggs when it comes to recipies where you can't taste the egg. This frees up eggs for recipies where the egg is the main thing.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#14 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

So here is something I was thinking about the other day, do vegetarians go out of their way to avoid eggs? Now obviously they won't be ordering an omelette any time soon, but what about all the things made with eggs in the recipes? Things like cookies, cakes, and many other things all use eggs, do vegetarians (in general) try to avoid these things or is it not something that is really thought about before eating?

Vegetarians don't eat meat and that's about it, you're talking about vegans.

And they don't eat any pastry that has eggs as far as I know.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#15 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
@TheFlush said:

Eggs coming from the industry aren't fertilised, even biological eggs are usually not fertilised.

There are people out there though who honestly think that a chicken can't lay eggs without a rooster...

Its not that they are against fertilized eggs, they are against the procedures taken to get the chicken to lay them. It's the same deal with cows, they don't like the way they are milked.

@Serraph105 said:

Vegetarians don't eat meat and that's about it, you're talking about vegans.

And they don't eat any pastry that has eggs as far as I know.

jrmorgan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jrmorgan23
Member since 2009 • 54 Posts

There are actually vegetarians who do eat eggs. Vegetarianism is a little more flexible than veganism. As someone previously said, vegans won't eat anything that comes from the exploitation of animals, including eggs, milk, honey and even wearing leather. Some vegetarians will eat eggs but i've heard the term eggetarian to describe them. Some vegetarians also consume milk, butter and honey. I do feel that anyone who eats eggs should eat organic, pastured, cage-free eggs. Chickens are meant to eat all sorts of things including insects and lizards and small snakes, not just some soy-corn concoction that is advertised as "vegetarian fed" chickens. One will see and taste a difference in true eggs as opposed to the great majority of eggs sold in traditional grocery stores.

There are a huge assortment of vegan pastries and other baked goods that are now available. be careful though because some of the ingredients used are soybean, canola and sunflower oils, maltodextrin and guar gum, which are pretty awful for your health.

There is a company that may soon release an egg alternative that is made from pea-protein and other ingredients. Hampton Creek Foods claims to have an egg-substitute made from all organic and GMO free ingredients, i think it's called "Beyond Eggs". Instead of marketing to the average consumer they are trying to get the baked goods companies to adopt their egg alternative. Since we can't taste the egg in cookies and muffins, and since 30% of the eggs sold in this country go to pre-baked goods, they are hoping to curb the reliance on eggs by creating an alternative. I for one don't eat too many baked goods or processed foods that contain eggs, but I would be interested to see if this takes off.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@Engrish_Major said:

Can't tell that to pro-choicers.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

You can make cakes and cookies without eggs, they're not as "rich" but they're definitely still tasty.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#19 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I don't get why you wouldn't eat eggs, hens make them even if they don't get screwed so they usually can't turn into chickens.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@cain006 said:

hens make them even if they don't get screwed

I had to explain that to a group my friends once upon a time. One of the girls asked "why would a chicken lay eggs if they can't hatch?" I told her flatly "for the same reason you girls drop an unfertilized egg every month."

We've often referred to eggs as 'chicken periods' since.

But I do love them, especially with some loaded hash browns.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Vegans avoid eggs. Vegetarians often enjoy any animal product that doesn't involve killing the animal and is sourced from "free range" or "organic" farms.