US soldier who leaked info to Wikileaks being tortured?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

No, he's not being tortured. But you cant fit 'being treated really, really badly for all these reasons' in a topic title.

So the young soldier who gave information to Wikileaks has been kept in solitary confinement for 254 days in a maximum security prison. He is not allowed to workout in his cell, is given just one hour a day to leave and walk around (by himself) and is forced to endure very harsh lights at night time when he wants to sleep.

The one person allowed to visit him says he is exhausted, has pallid eyes and a very weak physical state. He's only 24 years old.

Whether you agree with what he did or not, i gotta say - what the hell? There's no need for that. And i cant believe they're pressing to give him a 52 year sentence. :?

Thoughts?

EDIT: Excuse my terrible internet manners - LINK 1 / LINK 2 (at the bottom of the page)

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Link?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Imo the bright lights at night crosses into torture territory. What do they expect to get out of torturing him anyway? Don't they have the info they needed/wanted? Just seems a bit sadistic to keep someone in such a state for no real reason other than having them suffer.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
Don't care. He's scum.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
Any source on this?
xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 xLFTMx
Member since 2010 • 987 Posts

While I disagree with it completely, they have to punish him severly. Its deterrence. Make the punishment harsh enough, and no one will attempt the crime.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
52 years is light, he's a traitor
DreamnDayUnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DreamnDayUnite
Member since 2011 • 428 Posts
Don't care. He's scum.Dark__Link
I hope you are joking. "The one person allowed to visit him says he is exhausted, has pallid eyes and a very weak physical state. He's only 24 years old. And i cant believe they're pressing to give him a 52 year sentence. " He's just a kid. I can't believe they can take this guys life away from him like that
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ninja-Hippo

Link?

GabuEx

My bad! Heard it on the radio. Think this is the same story:

LINK

At the bottom of this page, too

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Link?

Ninja-Hippo

My bad! Heard it on the radio. Think this is the same story:

LINK

At the bottom of this page, too

Thanks; can you edit that to the bottom of the first post just so we have it there for anyone else curious?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ninja-Hippo
I'm amazed at the number of borderline fascist comments about this. :? I'm kinda on the fence over the whole wikileaks situation, but some people seem to consider this kid worse than murderers and rapists. Whatever happened to limited government? Civil liberty? Transparency? Why are we rooting for machine over the individual all of a sudden?
Microwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Microwin
Member since 2009 • 236 Posts

wonder when Holywood will make a movie about Wikileaks

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]Don't care. He's scum.DreamnDayUnite
I hope you are joking. "The one person allowed to visit him says he is exhausted, has pallid eyes and a very weak physical state. He's only 24 years old. And i cant believe they're pressing to give him a 52 year sentence. " He's just a kid. I can't believe they can take this guys life away from him like that

He's 24. He's not a kid.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
Eh, a 24-year-old with high-level security clearance knows right from wrong. I wouldn't expect any better if I did what he did. He's lucky he might get the chance to see the light of day again...
xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xLFTMx

I'm amazed at the number of borderline fascist comments about this. :? I'm kinda on the fence over the whole wikileaks situation, but some people seem to consider this kid worse than murderers and rapists. Whatever happened to limited government? Civil liberty? Transparency? Why are we rooting for machine over the individual all of a sudden?Ninja-Hippo

Because its so much easier than thinking for one self.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I tried reallllllllllly hard to stay out of this thread because I knew that a lot of comments would piss me off, and gosh, I should have gone with my initial instinct! :x I think that the way that he has been treated so far has been inappropriate. That's all I'm going to say and I'm going to do my darndest to never enter this thread again!
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts
[QUOTE="t3hrubikscube"]I tried reallllllllllly hard to stay out of this thread because I knew that a lot of comments would piss me off, and gosh, I should have gone with my initial instinct! :x I think that the way that he has been treated so far has been inappropriate. That's all I'm going to say and I'm going to do my darndest to never enter this thread again!

Threads are boring if everyone agrees with each other lol. But I agree that he's being treated inappropriately.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Trying pretty hard to turn him into a martyr it seems.
AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AngelNeo00
Member since 2009 • 392 Posts

He is lucky he isnt being tired for the death penalty if this was a person from another country he would of been executed. But anyways he deserves the punishment he get. Seriously betraying your country is a just a terrible thing to do. Especially since he had Top level security clearance

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts

No, he's not being tortured. But you cant fit 'being treated really, really badly for all these reasons' in a topic title.

So the young soldier who gave information to Wikileaks has been kept in solitary confinement for 254 days in a maximum security prison. He is not allowed to workout in his cell, is given just one hour a day to leave and walk around (by himself) and is forced to endure very harsh lights at night time when he wants to sleep.

The one person allowed to visit him says he is exhausted, has pallid eyes and a very weak physical state. He's only 24 years old.

Whether you agree with what he did or not, i gotta say - what the hell? There's no need for that. And i cant believe they're pressing to give him a 52 year sentence. :?

Thoughts?

EDIT: Excuse my terrible internet manners - LINK 1 / LINK 2 (at the bottom of the page)

Ninja-Hippo
He committed treason. Of course he has to face this kind of punishment....
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ninja-Hippo
When you think about it, did they even release anything THAT damaging? So now we know the details of a lot of civilian casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan. We know that the military has attempted to cover a lot of them up. Most reasonable people knew that sort of thing goes on anyway. America hasn't been irreparably harmed. And i'd like someone to show me a single thing they leaked which you think the government should have been keeping secret from the people it's supposed to represent in the first place. You deserve to know what your country is doing in your name. But even if you think they're in the wrong, they haven't done anything THAT bad and the government should just take the knock and ignore them. Shut down their website if you have to, but trying to give them all life sentences is silly and they'll only end up making martyrs out of them and putting them in the news for another few years.
DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

I'm amazed at the number of borderline fascist comments about this. :? I'm kinda on the fence over the whole wikileaks situation, but some people seem to consider this kid worse than murderers and rapists. Whatever happened to limited government? Civil liberty? Transparency? Why are we rooting for machine over the individual all of a sudden? Ninja-Hippo

He became privy to classified information which he was trusted to keep discreet.

He actively divulged information to parties that were not authorized nor intended to know about said information.

The military does not play around. He knew what he was doing was criminal, he did it anyway. I have no pity for him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Poor guy. Thats worse then torture right there.

DreamnDayUnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DreamnDayUnite
Member since 2011 • 428 Posts
He hasn't been charged with anything. They have been holding him on nothing
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]I'm amazed at the number of borderline fascist comments about this. :? I'm kinda on the fence over the whole wikileaks situation, but some people seem to consider this kid worse than murderers and rapists. Whatever happened to limited government? Civil liberty? Transparency? Why are we rooting for machine over the individual all of a sudden? DucksBrains

He became privy to classified information which he was trusted to keep discreet.

He actively divulged information to parties that were not authorized nor intended to know about said information.

The military does not play around. He knew what he was doing was criminal, he did it anyway. I have no pity for him.

And he's a much braver man than you or I. :)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GabuEx

He is lucky he isnt being tired for the death penalty

AngelNeo00

Given that he's apparently getting almost a year of solitary confinement, I would not exactly be sure I would consider him lucky for that. Extended solitary confinement is basically psychological torture.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

U.S. People/Politicians : Wahaaahahhaahhaha! We want transparency in our gov't!!!1!!

*Wikileaks releases info about U.S., giving the U.S. public.......transparency

U.S. People/Politicians : Wikileaks is terroists!!!!!1!!!111!111!!!!!

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ace6301
I always find it rather questionable that conservatives, who usually want a smaller government with less intervention and tend to speak poorly of the government and it's dealings, are so concerned that someone ratted out some of the governments more questionable dealings. I always figured they would consider treason to be something that effects the people of their country (after all that's who conservatives look out for most right?) rather then their government thats always taking their hard earned money.
DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts

[QUOTE="DucksBrains"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]I'm amazed at the number of borderline fascist comments about this. :? I'm kinda on the fence over the whole wikileaks situation, but some people seem to consider this kid worse than murderers and rapists. Whatever happened to limited government? Civil liberty? Transparency? Why are we rooting for machine over the individual all of a sudden? Ninja-Hippo

Braver or impetuous?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Seems a bit harsh from a government who released equally boring information to the Russians not long ago. Of course, most people here said that wasn't important.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DroidPhysX

I always find it rather questionable that conservatives, who usually want a smaller government with less intervention and tend to speak poorly of the government and it's dealings, are so concerned that someone ratted out some of the governments more questionable dealings. I always figured they would consider treason to be something that effects the people of their country (after all that's who conservatives look out for most right?) rather then their government thats always taking their hard earned money.Ace6301
Cuzz its gonna endanger lives!111!!!!

Even though no deaths have been attributed to Wikileaks:|

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

He's a traitor. He should die.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 fidosim
I always find it rather questionable that conservatives, who usually want a smaller government with less intervention and tend to speak poorly of the government and it's dealings, are so concerned that someone ratted out some of the governments more questionable dealings. I always figured they would consider treason to be something that effects the people of their country (after all that's who conservatives look out for most right?) rather then their government thats always taking their hard earned money.Ace6301
I don't think you'll find many conservatives who don't have enormous respect for the law. This guy disrespected the law in the worst possible way.
AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AngelNeo00

[QUOTE="AngelNeo00"]

He is lucky he isnt being tired for the death penalty

GabuEx

Given that he's apparently getting almost a year of solitary confinement, I would not exactly be sure I would consider him lucky for that. Extended solitary confinement is basically psychological torture.

He basically being treated like any ordinary spy or agent. And remember this is the military and we are dealing with they handle things like this very harshly. This guy will be held as an example to anyone else that tries to betray their country.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

He had high-level security clearance and probably knew the seriousness of releasing secret documents to the public.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DroidPhysX

dunl12496

Notsureifserious.jpg

If you are, i can see you voting republican

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="DucksBrains"]

DucksBrains

Braver or impetuous?

Brave. He's doing what he thinks is right, and i think objectively what he did WAS right in spite of the consequences.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I always find it rather questionable that conservatives, who usually want a smaller government with less intervention and tend to speak poorly of the government and it's dealings, are so concerned that someone ratted out some of the governments more questionable dealings. I always figured they would consider treason to be something that effects the people of their country (after all that's who conservatives look out for most right?) rather then their government thats always taking their hard earned money.fidosim
I don't think you'll find many conservatives who don't have enormous respect for the law. This guy disrespected the law in the worst possible way.

Seriously? Well i shouldnt say im surprised given your sig, which i will comment that Lincoln was a liberal president. How did this guy disrespect the law in every single way again?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GabuEx

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I always find it rather questionable that conservatives, who usually want a smaller government with less intervention and tend to speak poorly of the government and it's dealings, are so concerned that someone ratted out some of the governments more questionable dealings. I always figured they would consider treason to be something that effects the people of their country (after all that's who conservatives look out for most right?) rather then their government thats always taking their hard earned money.fidosim

I don't see conservatives having much respect for the health care reform law. :P

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ninja-Hippo

"We need a commander in chief, not an attorney at law." The Patriot Act. Stem cell research legislation vs Christianity. /trollface :P
xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xLFTMx

dunl12496

So was Reagan.

And half the country praises him like Jesus.

AngelNeo00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AngelNeo00

[QUOTE="DucksBrains"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]I'm amazed at the number of borderline fascist comments about this. :? I'm kinda on the fence over the whole wikileaks situation, but some people seem to consider this kid worse than murderers and rapists. Whatever happened to limited government? Civil liberty? Transparency? Why are we rooting for machine over the individual all of a sudden? Ninja-Hippo

You should also say he a brave criminal ;)

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="Ace6301"]I always find it rather questionable that conservatives, who usually want a smaller government with less intervention and tend to speak poorly of the government and it's dealings, are so concerned that someone ratted out some of the governments more questionable dealings. I always figured they would consider treason to be something that effects the people of their country (after all that's who conservatives look out for most right?) rather then their government thats always taking their hard earned money.GabuEx

I don't see conservatives having much respect for the health care reform law. :P

Calling it: 6-3 in favor w/ Roberts+Kennedy siding w/Liberal bloc

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ace6301

Just pointing out that you would think they would be less supportive of the government and more of the people of the country. People seem to want transparency and this man went out of his way to give it to him. In some peoples eyes this man would be a hero of truth but instead he's a traitor because he ratted out the government for their shadier comments and dealings. I just wish people would be more consistent in their views.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fidosim

[QUOTE="fidosim"][QUOTE="Ace6301"]I always find it rather questionable that conservatives, who usually want a smaller government with less intervention and tend to speak poorly of the government and it's dealings, are so concerned that someone ratted out some of the governments more questionable dealings. I always figured they would consider treason to be something that effects the people of their country (after all that's who conservatives look out for most right?) rather then their government thats always taking their hard earned money.GabuEx

That's not to say they don't agree with certain laws. :P But really, we're the ones who are afraid of change right? We like traditions...precedents...laws.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
How do the things you described not constitute torture?
StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

I can't say I feel any remorse for the guy, hope he serves his full 52 years in solitary confinement.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DroidPhysX

I can't say I feel any remorse for the guy, hope he serves his full 52 years in solitary confinement.

StealthMonkey4

Like the guy who exposed the Vietnam documents?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="DucksBrains"]

AngelNeo00

You should also say he a brave criminal ;)

A criminal is just a man who has broken an arbitrary law imposed by others for reasons they see fit. Being a criminal is not always a bad thing just as the law is not inherently good.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fidosim

Seriously? Well i shouldnt say im surprised given your sig, which i will comment that Lincoln was a liberal president. How did this guy disrespect the law in every single way again?

DroidPhysX

Our military gave him a high-privilege, and he used that privilede to sell us down the river. He swore an oath to defend us against enemies foreign and domestic, and became himself a domestic enemy.