U.S. House of Representatives votes 245 - 189 to repeal Obama healthcare law!!!

• 191 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Communistik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Communistik
Member since 2010 • 774 Posts

Yes, it still has to pass the Senate, and yes, Obama won't sign a repeal, and yes, there won't be enough to votes to override his veto, but this is FANTASTIC news! It looks like our country is headed back the way it should be, rather than into the ground like it has been for the last 2 years. Great news; I hope the backlash against Barack Obama's willfully ignorant and destructive agenda continues to grow.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0111/47831.html

CMFreezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 CMFreezy
Member since 2011 • 656 Posts
I am glad that they passed it in the House, I hope the Senate will pass it too and Obama will be smart and sign it.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

It looks like our country is headed back the way it should be, rather than into the ground like it has been for the last 2 years.

Communistik

Because the 8 years before that were just so dandy.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
As you've said, realistically it doesn't matter. And there's always a portion of the population that believes the country is heading into the ground. Realistically, there's no way we can be where we are today while maintaining a steady flow downstream since our independence.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

[QUOTE="Communistik"]

It looks like our country is headed back the way it should be, rather than into the ground like it has been for the last 2 years.

metroidfood

Was just about to say the same thing, but worded differently of course...:P
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Waste of time. I'm against the repeal and Republicans know that trying to pass a repeal through Congress won't work. If they want to really get rid of it they need to get the SC to rule it as unconstitutional.
UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
I am glad that they passed it in the House, I hope the Senate will pass it too and Obama will be smart and sign it. CMFreezy
Obama will be smart by exhausting time and resources to pass a major overhaul, and then throwing it all away? O.o From my point of view, that seems to be the opposite of a smart move.
TheColbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheColbert
Member since 2008 • 3846 Posts
Well at least they held up on their promise of trying. Not going to get past Obama but its a worthy effort. Now hopefully Republicans can work on getting the spending under control.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Awesome, the House wasted everyone's time voting on a bill that everyone knows will never become law.

I'm glad that the Republicans are focusing on the economy like they always implored the Democrats to do.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

Now its time to strip it of all its funding and force there to be charges. I am glad to see they are keeping their word so far.

yabbicoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 yabbicoke
Member since 2007 • 4069 Posts

rather than into the ground like it has been for the last 2 years.Communistik

I had no idea the health care bill has even been around that long... feels like just last year, for some reason.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Yes, finally back to the healthcare system that was obviously flawless. [/sarcasm]
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts
Oh well, I posted a while back that I thought they'd try this, knowing it was a doomed enterprise to keep their election promises. Which they did, and now they can get to other things. Meh. Nothing special.
Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts
They knew all along that it had no chance in passing through Congress. It won't even come up for debate on the Senate floor. Even if it did, Obama already said he would veto it. It's a nice win for them either way, and they know what was going to happen from the beginning.
Communistik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Communistik
Member since 2010 • 774 Posts

Awesome, the House wasted everyone's time voting on a bill that everyone knows will never become law.

I'm glad that the Republicans are focusing on the economy like they always implored the Democrats to do.

GabuEx

Yes. The American healthcare system and the American economy are completely unrelated.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Former_Slacker
Member since 2009 • 2618 Posts

Well at least they held up on their promise of trying. Not going to get past Obama but its a worthy effort. Now hopefully Republicans can work on getting the spending under control.TheColbert

Spending under control? This is the republican party you're talking about. They haven't been fiscially responsible since the mid1900's.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

[QUOTE="Communistik"]

metroidfood

Well it could be worse. A step in the better direction is an improvement.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Communistik

Yes. The American healthcare system and the American economy are completely unrelated.

Well they sure sounded like they were when the Republicans were telling the Democrats to stop bothering with health care reform and to focus on the economy instead. :o

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="TheColbert"]Well at least they held up on their promise of trying. Not going to get past Obama but its a worthy effort. Now hopefully Republicans can work on getting the spending under control.Former_Slacker

Spending under control? This is the republican party you're talking about. They haven't been fiscially responsible since the mid1900's.

Wait so Reagon was fiscally responsible?
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

Yes, it still has to pass the Senate, and yes, Obama won't sign a repeal, and yes, there won't be enough to votes to override his veto, but this is FANTASTIC news! It looks like our country is headed back the way it should be, rather than into the ground like it has been for the last 2 years. Great news; I hope the backlash against Barack Obama's willfully ignorant and destructive agenda continues to grow.

Communistik

Just how exactly is Obama's agenda "destructive"? Do you have any evidence to back up that statement or your statement about being "willfully ignorant"?

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
While I think the bill should be repealed, it is just not going to happen. They are just wasting time and money on it. Their only real shot is getting the Supreme Court to rule it unconstitutional.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
Let's bring it on to the Senate! Where it can die and people can shut up.
aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

It's mostly symbolic, but they promised to vote to repeal it during the campaign, and it's nice to see politicians keep their word once in a while.

Trooperdx3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Trooperdx3117
Member since 2005 • 974 Posts

Communistik
Yeah running the country into the ground, how dare he try to give America a fairer healthcare system for everyone, what is this Canada or something!
Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

[QUOTE="TheColbert"]Well at least they held up on their promise of trying. Not going to get past Obama but its a worthy effort. Now hopefully Republicans can work on getting the spending under control.HoolaHoopMan

The guy who lowered taxes and then massively increased defense spending? Are you kidding? I'm talking about Eisenhower, also Nixon and Ford. The republican party should listen to Nelson Rockefeller.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkGamer007

Let's bring it on to the Senate! Where it can die and people can shut up. Maniacc1

They can't shut up quite yet, there is the whole ordeal with the lawsuit filed against the Health Care Reform saying it is unconstitutional.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Insurance itself is a ripoff. I don't see how the new bill would have made everyone's lives better. Yes, I'm aware that there are some incentives to insurance but the whole system is flawed to a point where there's price increases for certain products that shouldn't be that expensive in the first place. Also, there's a lack of competition in the healthcare market so how this bill would have improved healthcare is anybody's guess. Then again, that's my opinion. Tell me if I'm wrong.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
"Headed back the way it should be"? They just completely stalled and didn't do anything. That's not really progress in either direction.
Mousetaches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Mousetaches
Member since 2009 • 1293 Posts

I hope none of the people who are happy about the repeal have a pre-existing condition, or don't develop one. Because then it would just be ironic when they were denied.

Then again, odds are a lot of them do and are just too stupid to realize what they want to happen.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Former_Slacker"]

Former_Slacker

The guy who lowered taxes and then massively increased defense spending? Are you kidding? I'm talking about Eisenhower, also Nixon and Ford. The republican party should listen to Nelson Rockefeller.

:lol:

My bad I read it as 1990's, not 1900's. Somehow I thought you were saying they were fiscally responsible in the 1990's. That's why I responded.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

[QUOTE="Maniacc1"]Let's bring it on to the Senate! Where it can die and people can shut up. DarkGamer007

They can't shut up quite yet, there is the whole ordeal with the lawsuit filed against the Health Care Reform saying it is unconstitutional.

The only part of the ACA that will get possibly struck down is the mandate on purchasing insurance. The rest will stay. Either way, they won't ever shut up about it because it's a monetary disaster, and their big push right now is being fiscally responsible and reducing the deficit.
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

I see Republicans' haste to repeal HCR. Have they expressed any of their solutions to fixing the healthcare problem?

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GabuEx

The only part of the ACA that will get possibly struck down is the mandate on purchasing insurance. The rest will stay.LukeAF24

Considering that that mandate is what makes everything else possible, we had better pray that that does not happen.

Either way, they won't ever shut up about it because it's a monetary disaster, and their big push right now is being fiscally responsible and reducing the deficit.LukeAF24

Considering that the CBO has estimated that repeal would increase the deficit, um, yeah.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GabuEx

I see Republicans' haste to repeal HCR. Have they expressed any of their solutions to fixing the healthcare problem?

LikeHaterade

Solutions!? Those are things that Democrats propose, man. :x

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

LikeHaterade

They've been doing that since before Obamacare was passed. Things like health savings accounts, letting people buy insurance across state lines, medical malpractice reform. Bills containing common sense, market-based reforms are out there, but never got anywhere while the Democrats controlled the House.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

It will never pass the senate. And if they want to repeal it, fine. But first, they need to have something better to replace it.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Good for them, it's still law and that's not going to change anytime soon.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts

LOL. Did you see what its called? Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act. LOL. The GOP is so good at branding and marketing. The Democrats should have called the original one Coverage Expanding Small Business Tax Cut Deficit Reduction Health Care Law Act.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
[QUOTE="Communistik"]

Trooperdx3117
Yeah running the country into the ground, how dare he try to give America a fairer healthcare system for everyone, what is this Canada or something!

You think Canada's healthcare system is better than the United States'? lmao. How is forcing people to buy healthcare "fair"? How is making the government exempt from this new healthcare bill "fair"? If the new system is so great, why are all of the politicians exempt from it? Now I do not side with any political parties since they are both dumb as hell, but personally, I would love to the the healthcare bill get repealed, although it won't happen in a vote, but rather in the Supreme Court.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="LukeAF24"]The only part of the ACA that will get possibly struck down is the mandate on purchasing insurance. The rest will stay.GabuEx

Considering that that mandate is what makes everything else possible, we had better pray that that does not happen.

Either way, they won't ever shut up about it because it's a monetary disaster, and their big push right now is being fiscally responsible and reducing the deficit.LukeAF24

Considering that the CBO has estimated that repeal would increase the deficit, um, yeah.

To be quite honest I do understand that the deficit is a vastly rising concern but under any current politics we cannot fix it. Basically in order to fix it we would have to raise taxes, cut spending on Medicare, Medicaid, Defense, and Social Security. Few politicians would run on that platform as it would be political suicide as many people like those programs and even more don't like tax increases.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

GabuEx

Solutions!? Those are things that Democrats propose, man. :x

Ironically the PPACA is pretty much a republican bill. It's key component to expanding coverage was proposed by the republicans in the '90s against Clinton's plan and implented by Romney here.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GabuEx

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

aransom

They've been doing that since before Obamacare was passed. Things like health savings accounts, letting people buy insurance across state lines, medical malpractice reform. Bills containing common sense, market-based reforms are out there, but never got anywhere while the Democrats controlled the House.

Interestingly enough, the health care reform proposal that passed and was signed into law was basically the Republicans' proposal back in 1993... so, I guess the Republicans back in 1993 were socialists?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

GabuEx

Other people, including former CBO directors, say differently. But I'm sure you already have your mind made up.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

If it isn't repealed, you can just wait for the Surpreme Court to finally rule it unconstitutional.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GabuEx

To be quite honest I do understand that the deficit is a vastly rising concern but under any current politics we cannot fix it. Basically in order to fix it we would have to raise taxes, cut spending on Medicare, Medicaid, Defense, and Social Security. Few politicians would run on that platform as it would be political suicide as many people like those programs and even more don't like tax increases.

DarkGamer007

Pretty much; the whole reason why Republicans promote voodoo economics where you can cut taxes, not decrease spending, and still balance the budget, is because that's exactly what people want to hear.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="Trooperdx3117"][QUOTE="Communistik"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

You think Canada's healthcare system is better than the United States'? lmao. How is forcing people to buy healthcare "fair"? How is making the government exempt from this new healthcare bill "fair"? If the new system is so great, why are all of the politicians exempt from it? Now I do not side with any political parties since they are both dumb as hell, but personally, I would love to the the healthcare bill get repealed, although it won't happen in a vote, but rather in the Supreme Court.

Look at page 7, we pay over double the average of all OECD countries for healthcare yet have much less coverage and similar results. Canadian healthcare is very much better than american healthcare for the average person. I am against the individual mandate myself but it is the only way to make the bill work, I would prefer a system similar to Germany or Japan to what is in the PPACA if you want to keep care totally private. How is the government exempt from it? I remeber reading a provison that states that officals must buy insurance on the exchanges once they are established in 2014 but I'm not sure about that.

Also ask your grandparents whether they would rather buy their own healthcare than receive medicare.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="Trooperdx3117"][QUOTE="Communistik"]

SF_KiLLaMaN

If our current/previous (depending on how you look at it) Health Care System is so great why do those working in Congress have their own specialized health care?

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="aransom"]

[QUOTE="LikeHaterade"]

GabuEx

Interestingly enough, the health care reform proposal that passed and was signed into law was basically the Republicans' proposal back in 1993... so, I guess the Republicans back in 1993 were socialists?

Of course! Just like that evil communist Reagan and his amnesty for illegal immigrants, not to mention his evil earn income tax credit. Or that socialistic tree hugger Nixon and his EPA and food stamps. Or that evil wealth re-distributor Eisenhower and his unamerican highways and greater than 90% top marginal tax rate.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Former_Slacker

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Considering that the CBO has estimated that repeal would increase the deficit, um, yeah.

LukeAF24

Other people, including former CBO directors, say differently. But I'm sure you already have your mind made up.

Also the CBO has said no such thing. The law is projected to save us money over time.

Former_Slacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Former_Slacker

What I want to see is that provision where states can opt out of the federal plan and create their own plans, if they can cover as many people and retain similar or lesser costs, go into effect. Should start somewhere around 2017 if I remember correctly.