mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58879 Posts

Taika Waititi, director- and actor-extraordinaire, has claimed he wants to establish new characters and stories in Star Wars projects he is involved on, while limiting reliance on established legacies.

Speaking in an interview, Waititi said the following:

...in an interview [Waititi said] that he “would like to take something new and create some new characters and just expand the world, otherwise it feels like it's a very small story".

I tend to agree.

What say you, my good people? Skywalker or bust? Or are you open to other things?

----------------

My thoughts:

Now, don't get me wrong; the Skywalker saga has been glorious; watching a young Anakin grow from a young boy into a capable and virtuous young man, have children, fall to the dark side, and then watch those children pick up the good fight...it has all been wonderful.

But at the same time, in recent years the best Star Wars material has not been the Skywalker stuff, but it's been the offshoots. Rebels is arguably the best Star Wars material created since the original trilogy, and has nothing to do with Skywalker (outside of a few episodes guest-starring Vader).

Likewise, the best feature film in recent years has been Rogue One, which not only didn't feature a Skywalker (again, guest-starring Vader for a minute in the end and Leia excepted) but did not feature anyone with force powers!

It's almost gotten to the point where I feel resentful if a Skywalker shows up or is mentioned. I was loving the Mandalorian (still do!) but I have to admit, hearing Ahsoka mention Skywalker and then seeing his dumb CGI face show up in the end was a bit of a letdown (despite being really epic!). It's like "CANT WE HAVE SOME SKYWALKER-FREE MATERIAL!?"

I love Star Wars, warts and all, but given how the non-Skywalker material has been the best stuff in the past few years, I am excited to see what future non-Skywalker material will bring.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

I think it's inevitable. The Skywalker story is done, literally as they are all dead. Further milking it will only damage its legacy, much like the sequels did. There's still a few stories to tell to (maybe unnecessarily) fill some blanks around the prequel to OT time period like the Obi-Wan Kenobi or Ahsoka show but those are side-projects limited to television at this point.

So I'm fine if they tread new ground free from the shackles of fanservice that ultimately killed the sequel trilogy. A few easter eggs and nods to the Skywalker era are welcome though. It was a great surprise seeing Luke for a few minutes in the Mandalorian. Of course they had to milk that in the Boba Fett show but that's Disney for you.

One thing I'd like them to preserve in some form in future films is the Jedi/Force presence. Let's be real it's a vital part of Star Wars and what sets its setting apart from generic sci-fi.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24153 Posts

This is the way forward. Focus on the future, not cling to the past.

The Galaxy is vast, and no doubt has a lot of exceptoinal individuals, would be good to focus on them too. All sorts of different cultures too, that could be explored if we looked at people from all sorts of different backgrounds.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59776 Posts

Was a problem from the start.

When Lucas made The Prequels his specific goal was to make them different from the OT.

When Disney took over their specific goal was to do anything but The Prequels and play it as safe as possible (with at the helm JJ) essentially trying to remake the OT.

They've mined it into oblivion and have jumped back to mining The Prequels because the Sequels were so bad it helped push many people to reevaluate them. And with Obi-Wan can see them already doing that into oblivion.

Most of Disneys live-action stuff has been poo. And even with it being poo they've announced another billion or so shows. Aside from the Ahsoka show or generally anything where Filoni is actively involved kinda don't give a shit.

Animation content has been dope though as has been some of the books. Namely Timothy Zahn.

Disney gets alot of shit for throwing the EU in the trash can. And while stuff like their changes to the Darth Plagueis book are terrible, fine with them hitting a reset button of most of the stuff. Lucas never considered it canon to begin with.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Good. Stop making everyone related to everyone else. The Last Jedi had issues but one of the things it did right was start to break away from all that, only for Rise of Skywalker to walk those positive changes back and play it super safe to expectations.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58879 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I think it's inevitable. The Skywalker story is done, literally as they are all dead...

You would think so, but then stupid ol' Rey at the end is like "Derp derp I'm Rey...Rey SKYWALKER!" so...who knows? Hopefully they're done with the arc.

@johnd13 said:

So I'm fine if they tread new ground free from the shackles of fanservice that ultimately killed the sequel trilogy. A few easter eggs and nods to the Skywalker era are welcome though. It was a great surprise seeing Luke for a few minutes in the Mandalorian. Of course they had to milk that in the Boba Fett show but that's Disney for you.

One thing I'd like them to preserve in some form in future films is the Jedi/Force presence. Let's be real it's a vital part of Star Wars and what sets its setting apart from generic sci-fi.

Yeah, the nods and easter eggs are fine.

@Maroxad said:

This is the way forward. Focus on the future, not cling to the past.

The Galaxy is vast, and no doubt has a lot of exceptoinal individuals, would be good to focus on them too. All sorts of different cultures too, that could be explored if we looked at people from all sorts of different backgrounds.

Yup, lots of material and a lot of creative people out there, don't need to stick with the same thing.

@uninspiredcup said:

Most of Disneys live-action stuff has been poo. And even with it being poo they've announced another billion or so shows. Aside from the Ahsoka show or generally anything where Filoni is actively involved kinda don't give a shit.

Animation content has been dope though as has been some of the books. Namely Timothy Zahn.

Disney gets alot of shit for throwing the EU in the trash can. And while stuff like their changes to the Darth Plagueis book are terrible, fine with them hitting a reset button of most of the stuff. Lucas never considered it canon to begin with.

Filoni is god. Filoni and Favreau? Megagod.

Yeah I was always torn on them tossing out the extra stuff (now called "Legends" material, I guess). There was a lot of great stories and I even really enjoy the Skywalker stuff; how Luke established the new order, married Mara, how Han and Leia had twins of their own and one become Darth Caedus.

I still want to see Star Wars go grimdark a little bit, maybe have a couple spinoffs. They already destroyed entire planets so it's not like it is off limits, it'd be great if they took the series to a really serious place. Something that would scare the kids haha.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59776 Posts
@mrbojangles25 said:

Filoni is god. Filoni and Favreau? Megagod.

Yeah I was always torn on them tossing out the extra stuff (now called "Legends" material, I guess). There was a lot of great stories and I even really enjoy the Skywalker stuff; how Luke established the new order, married Mara, how Han and Leia had twins of their own and one become Darth Caedus.

I still want to see Star Wars go grimdark a little bit, maybe have a couple spinoffs. They already destroyed entire planets so it's not like it is off limits, it'd be great if they took the series to a really serious place. Something that would scare the kids haha.

Hmm... kinda disagree.

I mean, even though it's a family franchise, made with children in mind, it has imagery like Luke in the cave where he beheads the helmet seeing his own face, Palpatines monster face, Anakin getting cooked like a BBQ, Maul etc... etc...

Depending on the age stuff like that can definitely be scary for a kid.

But ultimately what Lucas injects, and has always said is a vital part of the franchise is optimism, hope etc... Even ROTS has this, it's final shot isn't Vader but his soon-to-be cooked Uncle and Aunt looking out at the Twin Suns.

Oddly enough, now that I think about it, Clone Wars final is probably the darkest ending. As it doesn't have really any positive note. Just mass grave, everyone loses, the end.

That's part of the thing I personally don't currently like much about Disney live shows is how desaturated they are with extreme vignette. Like some asshole has rubbed charcoal all over the screen. Too much desert as well and boring looking aliens.

Guess that's partly why also prefer the animations (aside from just being better), they actually have like, colour. Vibrancy etc... It's not really limited by the constraints of live-action they can go wacky with the designs and planets.

-----------

Speaking of which, looking forward to Jedi Tales. These are short-stories Filoni was writing on the plane and someone suggested he turn them into short-animations. Be an A/B story with Count Doku and Ahsoka and appears to deviate somewhat from the Clone Wars, he doesn't look like an Easter Island head any-more.

Loading Video...

To me this was one of the biggest flaws of the Prequels. And while they fleshed it out, the Clone Wars series didn't really go into much detail either about Dooku.

Both he and Grievous as suppose to act as precursors to Vader, what Anakin will become. But they aren't explained in AOTC or ROTS much, if at all. . Only though the expanded content.

Grievous in particularly is absolutely shit in Clone Wars and ROTS. If read the expanded stuff, might as well be a wholly different character. In particular, this comic book is great, and gets to the heart of the character, and really what he should have been on-screen.

Loading Video...

From the looks of it as well it's adapting the Ahsoka novel which takes place after Clone Wars. She kills an Inquistor and gets new blades bla bla.. But more interested in the Dooku portion since it's something that doesn't really get explored on-screen.

So yea, waffling shit again, seems to happen every time anyone mentions Starwars haha

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38718 Posts

i don't think it's a bad idea at all... they pretty much ground the skywalker storyline into the dust.

it is supposed to be a galaxy afterall. maybe we can see a planet other than tatooine. stop trying to harvest those member berries

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

I think the best thing they can do is move away from the Skywalker saga generation. The episodic shows should bring that era to an end and then I'd like to see something set in the future. A new story, a new saga. Something that isn't beholden to what has come before or what will become.