UK Election Thread: Labour or Tories?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Poll UK Election Thread: Labour or Tories? (19 votes)

Labour 58%
Tories (Conservatives) 42%

U.K. General Election Predictions

Why The SNP Is Poised To Win In Scotland

A Brief Political History Of The United Kingdom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So who do you think will end up as Prime Minister? David Cameron or Ed Miliband?

Which party do you think will win (lead a coalition)? And who you want (if you care at all) to win?

Wanna hear specially from our friends in the UK.

• Are you planning to vote?
  • If you wish, please share for who you plan to vote for.

• 
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

U.K. General Election Predictions

Why The SNP Is Poised To Win In Scotland

A Brief Political History Of The United Kingdom

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So who do you think will end up as Prime Minister? David Cameron or Ed Miliband?

Which party do you think will win (lead a coalition)? And who you want (if you care at all) to win?

Wanna hear specially from our friends in the UK.

• Are you planning to vote?
  • If you wish, please share for who you plan to vote for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And because GS sucks I have to re-post the opening ^^^^ post. Don't worry, Gamespot will shut down in about a year or so.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

Depends on which one is least likely to **** me over. That said I'd be happy when that twat Cameron is no longer PM.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

Tories are pretty much the devil.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Worse than the UKIPs?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Master_Live

It doesn't affect either way but I would totally prefer for Cameron to re-validate just to see the Guardian people's head explode. They are already in panic mode. **** them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uninspiredcup

@mattbbpl said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Worse than the UKIPs?

UKIP will probably never have significant power, they are sort of a novelty.

Tories **** over the lower classes with a Nazi like attitude, it's pretty insidious.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

If I were in the UK, I would vote for Russell Brand, as those politicians look very bad and completely backwards

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

They're all terrible. I voted labour but I feel I shouldn't have voted at all. But at least labour would certainly be better than conservative (who are guaranteed to win in my area anyway)

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Master_Live

Election 2015: Exit poll puts Tories close to majority

Exit poll looking good.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I don't like either of them, so I voted SNP :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 uninspiredcup
Another 5 years
Another 5 years

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

It doesn't matter, any more than it matters whether the Democrats or the Republicans take the White House.

Western democracy is just a charade.

All you get to choose is the flavor of politician who hands down the diktats of the oligarchs. It's always the latter who hold all the real power.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

Politics brings out the crazy in me. The only thing I could ever vote for with complete confidence and know I did the right thing would be a law that would ban me from voting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@Stesilaus said:

It doesn't matter, any more than it matters whether the Democrats or the Republicans take the White House.

All you get to choose is the flavor of politician who hands down the diktats of the oligarchs. It's always the latter who hold all the real power.

Honestly that's a load of rubbish.

From the off you're looking at a difference of billions in cuts to from the Conservatives with estimates putting the number of people using food banks as rising to 2 million and huge strain on the disabled. Labour were committed to building new houses, the Conservatives have one of the lowest building records in the last 100 years and are set to bring in more schemes that will only hammer supply and increase demand so most will be lucky if they can get on the property ladder. The Conservatives are offering a referendum on Europe, again a pretty massive thing for entire outlook of the country and my personal job prospects. Those are just three issues that are important to me that are significantly different depending on who is in power. If Labour were to get in there was a shot at getting £9k of debt wiped free for me as well. So yeh, who gets in can decide whether i'll be able to afford to buy a house instead of rent, how much debt i'll be in and potentially whether the career i want will be in the country and if i'll have to go abroad.

Never mind that the SNP's rise in Scotland puts huge question marks over the union which has stood for 300 years. We'll have a constitutional nightmare if the Scots vote to stay in Europe and the rest of the UK votes to leave if things haven't already deteriorated by that point. That's entirely down to the nationalism of the Scottish people and the way they vote, not oligarchs. This could also decide the future of the UK's nuclear arms programme and make up of the military.

There's been a huge rise in the smaller parties and finally enough discontent with first past the post that we might finally see electoral reform which will mean better representation for every vote. Again this has been a major rally against Westminster which many felt were the oligarchs that wielded a disproportionate amount of power to the rest of the country.

I might have agreed sometime ago but this has been the biggest shake up in decades.

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#15 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

I find it impossible to choose so I used some random gut instinct logic. I mean their manifestos are all lies, so anyone who pours over them to vote with is mentally damaged if you ask me.

The only three PMs I remember are Tony Blair who was a straight asshole, Gordon Brown who was a bumbling idiot and David Cameron who is a posh prick. Of the big two to give them their dues Conservatives arrived in government last time around the same time the economy had gone totally tits up. And to be fair we are still here. We are still doing pretty well overall considering. We are doing better than some places in Europe anyway.

Whatever they were doing it seems to be allowing us to tick along pretty well, so I voted Conservative. Ed Milliband sure doesn't fill me with much confidence when I look at him anyway.

Then of the other parties, UKIP are borderline racists (some are not even borderline looking at their twitter comments), Greens talk a good fight when talking about the environment but they suck at everything else (environment is important but not the only thing of importance) and then the rest who's name I can't even remember.

Conservatives were my preferred choice from a long list of kind of crappy choices.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

I voted labour because i am sick of watching rich bankers mistakes being covered with Money taken away from the disabled and Low paid workers whilst they carry on getting away with Tax evasion and not paying the Tax they are supposed to, the tories are insidious, Vile people who care nothing for the most Vulnerable in Society.

The richest people in this country Doubled there wealth whilst hard working people had to use Food banks just to feed there children.

My daughter is disabled and thanks to the Tories she lost all of her support in school, she was doing really well and now her grade have slipped down into the Abyss and now i have to worry about he she will be treated as an adult.

i once proudly served my country in the Armed forces, A true patriot, now i am sick of the people in my country who seem to have endorsed the demonization and vilification of the most Vulnerable people in our Society.

We where supposed to be a people who helped these people up not trampled them into the dirt.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

Which one is shipping less bullshit?

Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts

What an incredible night that was!

I'm still shocked the current governing Conservative party increased not only its number of votes but more importantly its number of seats and will end up with a majority! Good news all around.

Looks like we'll finally be out the EU as well, I don't think I can be any happier!

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-58270bc086e0d
deactivated-58270bc086e0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#20 deactivated-58270bc086e0d
Member since 2006 • 2317 Posts

@dylandr:The amount of none bullshit is so small it is unmeasurable.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 14

#21 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41489 Posts

Okay, I try to keep my mouth shut on Politics unless it's universal BS, but when I was in England for four years (back in my native US now), my family and I were worried about UKIP's massive gain in power and my dad was heavily disappointed in his own birth country. Due to their freaking prejudice against non-English.

It especially didn't help that UKIP and Nigel Farage called themselves the "People's Army." Yeah, coming from the man who called the European Union "the new Communism" makes his thing come off as ironic on his end.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup

Ed Milliband, Nigal Farage and Nic Clegg have all resigned.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I am a bit disappointed, tories being in power is not good for anyone but the rich people.

The SNP surge pretty much screwed labour and the liberal democrats.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

@hoosier7 said:
@Stesilaus said:

Honestly that's a load of rubbish.

From the off you're looking at a difference of billions in cuts to from the Conservatives with estimates putting the number of people using food banks as rising to 2 million and huge strain on the disabled. Labour were committed to building new houses, the Conservatives have one of the lowest building records in the last 100 years and are set to bring in more schemes that will only hammer supply and increase demand so most will be lucky if they can get on the property ladder. The Conservatives are offering a referendum on Europe, again a pretty massive thing for entire outlook of the country and my personal job prospects. Those are just three issues that are important to me that are significantly different depending on who is in power. If Labour were to get in there was a shot at getting £9k of debt wiped free for me as well. So yeh, who gets in can decide whether i'll be able to afford to buy a house instead of rent, how much debt i'll be in and potentially whether the career i want will be in the country and if i'll have to go abroad.

Never mind that the SNP's rise in Scotland puts huge question marks over the union which has stood for 300 years. We'll have a constitutional nightmare if the Scots vote to stay in Europe and the rest of the UK votes to leave if things haven't already deteriorated by that point. That's entirely down to the nationalism of the Scottish people and the way they vote, not oligarchs. This could also decide the future of the UK's nuclear arms programme and make up of the military.

There's been a huge rise in the smaller parties and finally enough discontent with first past the post that we might finally see electoral reform which will mean better representation for every vote. Again this has been a major rally against Westminster which many felt were the oligarchs that wielded a disproportionate amount of power to the rest of the country.

I might have agreed sometime ago but this has been the biggest shake up in decades.

Thank you for your detailed description of the impact that the election outcome is likely to have, @hoosier7 . I found it to be a genuinely interesting read. I will admit to being overly cynical in my posting, and I hope things turn out well for you, even though the election result doesn't seem to be the one you were hoping for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

@Stesilaus: Thanks! I should be ok given i'm fairly well positioned it's just those that are in worse positions i'm concerned about mainly.

Honestly i would have agreed with you a short while ago but the landscape has really changed in British politics. I'll be a whole lot more cynical next time round if we haven't made a change some sort of alternative voting system and if Murdoch's influence doesn't loosen though!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By uninspiredcup

@PcGamingRig said:

I am a bit disappointed, tories being in power is not good for anyone but the rich people.

The SNP surge pretty much screwed labour and the liberal democrats.

Yea, Scotlands turnout for voting was much higher than other countries, coupled with a long deeply ingrained disliking of the Tory party, which is sort of ironic since they gave us the vote, not labour.

I think when we had the vote for independence recently, it clicked with people on mass, rather than a certain sect that by voting, it is possible to change things. We'v seen very young candidates as well, a 20 year old - the youngest ever, recently won a region for the SNP.

The libs have hung themselfs by teaming up with the tories - while they had power in the short term, long term they are completely fucked.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts

Their EU membership renegotiation stance should be interesting (assuming they follow through with it). The EU is already under significant strains for the next 3 to 5 years due to competing member interests. It's plausible that we might see a different member list come 2018 or so.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Okay, I try to keep my mouth shut on Politics unless it's universal BS, but when I was in England for four years (back in my native US now), my family and I were worried about UKIP's massive gain in power and my dad was heavily disappointed in his own birth country. Due to their freaking prejudice against non-English.

It especially didn't help that UKIP and Nigel Farage called themselves the "People's Army." Yeah, coming from the man who called the European Union "the new Communism" makes his thing come off as ironic on his end.

They haven't gained much power (they only have one seat) but they have gained a lot of popularity. Paranoia is becoming more common, it's why people vote conservative and UKIP.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By uninspiredcup

That was a great qeastion time - everyone was surprisingly objective.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@PcGamingRig: that not quite the case any More, not like it used to be.

I'm not rich I have an average paying job and my tax was reduced in the last few years.

I would argue my quality of life has improved slightly the last 5 years and I live in the north.

EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts

Very shocked that the conservatives got a majority government, as everyone was so sure this was going to be a close vote.
Things I'm not happy about:
-Cameron getting a majority, I don't mind the conservative party so much, but cameron himself is an awful leader who has made a lot of stupid moves in the last 5 years (such as his handling of the scottish independence referendum and pushing for his stupid English votes for English laws idea). Him and his allies in the party have been pushing for things that threaten our civil liberties, a stark contrast to his fairly liberal appearance before he became PM.

-The complete collapse of the lib dems - they were bound to suffer and deservedly so given how many people are pissed off with them, but some good MPs lost their seats when I don't think they deserved to.

-The SNP sweeping the board in Scotland. Though their widespread appeal stems mainly from the fact that they've governed capably and filled the centre left void labour have vacated, the fact that they got nearly every seat in Scotland when only 50% of voters voted for them is probably the biggest cock-up of our voting system in this election. That the 50% of Scottish voters who did not vote for the SNP can only choose from three MPs to represent their views is not healthy.

On the plus side:

-Trident is sure to be renewed, putting the issue to bed for the forseeable future. Though I'm in favour of keeping it, I'm open minded to arguments for getting rid of it. However, nobody has made any well thought out arguments for scrapping it. All of the arguments I've heard have been very short-sighted and failed to fully consider the consequences of removing it.

-There will be an EU referendum and I don't think it's likely people will vote to leave the EU, also hopefully putting the issue to bed for the forseeable future.

-The leaders of Labour, Lib Dems and UKIP have all resigned paving the way for new competent people to take their place, hopefully those untainted by scandal. I'm hoping for Dan Jarvis or Andy Burnham to lead Labour and maybe Douglas Carswell to step up for UKIP. Tim Farron might be a good choice for LD leader.

-A lot of people are unhappy with the unfairness of the voting system. UKIP and the Green party massively suffered under it, and the SNP massively benefitted - all three of these parties support voting reform and one now has a sizeable bloc in parliament. Hopefully this will lead to a greater push for reform.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

@EJ902:

@EJ902 said:

-Trident is sure to be renewed, putting the issue to bed for the forseeable future. Though I'm in favour of keeping it, I'm open minded to arguments for getting rid of it. However, nobody has made any well thought out arguments for scrapping it. All of the arguments I've heard have been very short-sighted and failed to fully consider the consequences of removing it.

Good questions you stuck on the table. On this particularly subject - I don't work in the navy or am I a major in any government military facility, but apparently the trident system itself is flawed, as much as it is a deterrent there is a policy to it where it's not to be used as an act of vengeance. Such as if the whole of the UK was nuked and this submarine was docked in Cuba there is no point in it launching crap at China when the Uk is already out the question, and since this is only thing it is capable of doing, in reality it's a polite way of saying it's actually an offensive war machine designed as a preemptive threat, which is way of saying it's a deterrent, but at the end of the day we are dumping money into the ability to destroy other countries when plenty of other bigger better resourced places already go the end of the world nailed down to a few codes and buttons, so why don't we let America, China and Russia measure dick sizes while we focus on improving our standard of living?

I will be brave to say we don't need it and I'm an open minded person who is happy to hear other peoples opinions, but I can't help but feel the majority of the reason we keep it going is because a bunch of people get rich out of it's existence.

Also this is a game forum and we know full well at the end of the world it will be a bunch of teenage girls and boys from a remote farm village who raise in levels to defeat the tyrants and whatever god or demon possessed them to do such heinous acts.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#34  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19378 Posts

Gutted the Tories won... Would much rather prefer another Coalition than a Tory government.

CommandoAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 CommandoAgent
Member since 2005 • 1703 Posts

@EJ902 said:

Very shocked that the conservatives got a majority government, as everyone was so sure this was going to be a close vote.

Things I'm not happy about:

-Cameron getting a majority, I don't mind the conservative party so much, but cameron himself is an awful leader who has made a lot of stupid moves in the last 5 years (such as his handling of the scottish independence referendum and pushing for his stupid English votes for English laws idea). Him and his allies in the party have been pushing for things that threaten our civil liberties, a stark contrast to his fairly liberal appearance before he became PM.

-The complete collapse of the lib dems - they were bound to suffer and deservedly so given how many people are pissed off with them, but some good MPs lost their seats when I don't think they deserved to.

-The SNP sweeping the board in Scotland. Though their widespread appeal stems mainly from the fact that they've governed capably and filled the centre left void labour have vacated, the fact that they got nearly every seat in Scotland when only 50% of voters voted for them is probably the biggest cock-up of our voting system in this election. That the 50% of Scottish voters who did not vote for the SNP can only choose from three MPs to represent their views is not healthy.

On the plus side:

-There will be an EU referendum and I don't think it's likely people will vote to leave the EU, also hopefully putting the issue to bed for the forseeable future.

-The leaders of Labour, Lib Dems and UKIP have all resigned paving the way for new competent people to take their place, hopefully those untainted by scandal. I'm hoping for Dan Jarvis or Andy Burnham to lead Labour and maybe Douglas Carswell to step up for UKIP. Tim Farron might be a good choice for LD leader.

-A lot of people are unhappy with the unfairness of the voting system. UKIP and the Green party massively suffered under it, and the SNP massively benefitted - all three of these parties support voting reform and one now has a sizeable bloc in parliament. Hopefully this will lead to a greater push for reform.

"-There will be an EU referendum and I don't think it's likely people will vote to leave the EU, also hopefully putting the issue to bed for the forseeable future."

People do want to leave the EU i fail to see what grand changes EU has done. With the exceptions of bringing misery. And more jobless.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

Im glad conservative (my vote) won.

Anyone who believed labours plans to cut the deficit by making sensible cuts...whilst also raising the minimum wage needs their heads tested. Sure it sounded great but realistic??? no!

I think Cameron done a great job taking over from the total clusterfuck of the previous labour government. It surprises me that this fallacy about labour being for the people still exists.