U.S. Plummets in Global Press Freedom Rankings.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

U.S. Plummets in Global Press Freedom Rankings

According to a new report from Reporters Without Borders, there was a profound erosion of press freedom in the United States in 2013.

After a year of attacks on whistleblowers and digital journalists and revelations about mass surveillance, the United States plunged 13 spots in the group's global press freedom rankings to number 46.

Reporters Without Borders writes that the U.S. faced "one of the most significant declines" in the world last year. Even the United Kingdom, whose sustained campaign to criminalize the Guardian's reporters and intimidate journalists has made headlines around the world, dropped only three spots, to number 33. The U.S. fell as many spots as Paraguay, where "the pressure on journalists to censor themselves keeps on mounting."

Citing the Justice Department's aggressive prosecution of whistleblowers, including its secret seizure of Associated Press phone records, the authors write that "freedom of information is too often sacrificed to an overly broad and abusive interpretation of national security needs, marking a disturbing retreat from democratic practices. Investigative journalism often suffers as a result."

The threats facing newsgathering in the U.S. are felt by both longstanding journalists like New York Times national security reporter James Risen, who may serve jail time for refusing to reveal a source, and non-traditional digital journalists like Barrett Brown.

Brown is a freelance journalist who has reported extensively on private intelligence firms and government contractors. He now faces more than 100 years in jail for linking to stolen documents as part of his reporting, even though he had no involvement in the actual theft.

The United States' new press freedom ranking comes on the heels of a new and dangerous campaignagainst Glenn Greenwald and other journalists who have reported on the documents leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden.

In recent weeks, high-ranking members of the intelligence community and members of Congress have called NSA journalists "accomplices" to Snowden's leaks, and accused them of trafficking in stolen goods. And as Trevor Timm of the Freedom of the Press Foundation points out, these comments are only the most recent in a long line of attacks.

In 2012, after a series of high-profile journalist arrests at Occupy protests, the United States dropped 27 places in Reporters Without Borders' World Press Freedom Index, landing in 47th place. The following year saw some progress as the U.S. climbed back up to 33rd place, but the last year has erased those gains.

The Reporters Without Borders study makes it clear that the struggles for freedom of expression and freedom of the press are global in scope, and deeply connected across borders. "Countries that pride themselves on being democracies and respecting the rule of law have not set an example," the authors write.

Our press freedom ranking is important not just as a measure of the democratic health of our press, but also because hostility toward the press at home can legitimize threats to journalists abroad. We have to work in our communities and in Washington to fight for policies that protect all acts of journalism.

---------------------------------------

Secretly seizing the AP phone records, nice.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

My country ranks second... not bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

gj Obama

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Thank you GWB.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
@jimkabrhel said:

Thank you GWB.

I really hope you are being sarcastic.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:
@jimkabrhel said:

Thank you GWB.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak about this with absolute confidence, but didn't GWB take several measures and enacted different laws after 9/11 that supposedly greatly infringed on several constitutional amendments and did undermine certain liberties and freedoms? I imagine that continued even after he left office. I recall something like the patriot act for instance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:
@jimkabrhel said:

Thank you GWB.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to speak about this with absolute confidence, but didn't GWB take several measures and enacted different laws after 9/11 that supposedly greatly infringed on several constitutional amendments and did undermine certain liberties and freedoms? I imagine that continued even after he left office. I recall something like the patriot act for instance.

You are correct. Though Obama can be blamed for part of the snooping the NSA is doing, GWB should be given his due for the Patriot Act.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

America should be ashamed.

But I feel that we will still be getting the look at North Korea and be happy comments

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deeliman

It's pretty sad if you have to compare your country to north korea

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@dave123321 said:

America should be ashamed.

But I feel that we will still be getting the look at North Korea and be happy comments

I never understood the benchmark Americans use to measure their country against. They only seem to be interested in comparing themselves to China, North Korea, Cuba, Mexico, and some other dirt poor Latin American states. Consequently they do feel perfectly content most of the time.

I'm not talking about you of course, I can tell you're being sarcastic.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

If Obama and the democrats held such contempt against the Patriot Act they should had repealed it when they had the House and 60 on the Senate. Put up or shut the **** up.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

USA is almost a one party state.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

we must do whatever we can to enable journalists to continue to make shyt up mix it with their personal prejudices, editorialize it to appeal to a certain demographic then call it news.

freedom!

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14  Edited By Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Good thing I don't read the news.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The blame needs to be shared with both the politicians and the average dumb American who seems more interested in reality, entertainment and sports than rights and freedoms. Our politicians know the amount of stupidity contained in the average American brain is vast and they know how easy it is to get get people focused on matters which don't matter.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@Master_Live said:

If Obama and the democrats held such contempt against the Patriot Act they should had repealed it when they had the House and 60 on the Senate. Put up or shut the **** up.

That's the problem, they don't have contempt for it. Nor do Republicans.

There are camps in both that dislike it (or at least claim to), but neither party has enough universal disdain for it to abolish it.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

The probable conviction of Glenn Greenwald alone illustrates the amount of "freedom" one has within the US press.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts
@Master_Live said:

The Democrats are Republicans are two sides of the same coin. The two-party system is the issue.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

The blame needs to be shared with both the politicians and the average dumb American who seems more interested in reality, entertainment and sports than rights and freedoms. Our politicians know the amount of stupidity contained in the average American brain is vast and they know how easy it is to get get people focused on matters which don't matter.

why shouldn't Americans be interested in reality?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Reality shows as in following the lives of complete strangers.

Believe me, if the average American was interested in reality, I doubt we'd be in such the mess we are in right now.

Ratchet_Fan8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Ratchet_Fan8
Member since 2008 • 5574 Posts

haha owned

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@Master_Live said:

This. In fact the very same Democrats who screamed from the rooftops about the Patriot Act under GWB praise the same type of policies under Obama. To be fair, it has also been a flip flop for Republicans. They all talk a good game, if Obama was serious about anything we would be out of Gitmo and AFG as well.

Even so....I do not recall the scandals under the Bush administration that involved spying on the press and specific political groups. Obama owns this shit.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#23 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@one_plum said:
@Master_Live said:

The Democrats are Republicans are two sides of the same coin. The two-party system is the issue.

This we can agree on.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

We're nr. 7, although our press is still horribly biased and sensationalistic.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deeliman

@vfibsux Do you really believe the spying only began when obama cam into office?