TV is bad for weak people...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jm4847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 jm4847
Member since 2006 • 3535 Posts
People have always talked about how TV is a bad influence and all that, but I'm starting to think that today is worse than ever. Two shows come to my mind right now (there are plenty more): 24: We all know what this show is about. It started with Jack Bauer, a family man willing to do whatever it takes to protect his family and his country (his family was first for him). Now we have Jack Bauer, a killing and torturing machine with no other goal than to stop the terrorists. So far he's committed at least 5 cold blooded murders (Victor Drazen, Marshall Goren, Nina Myers, the guy that carried out the Palmer assassination and Christopher Henderson) and from what we've heard, has tortured several people to death. Message: Everything is justified when it comes to protecting our country, even torture, murder and vigilanteeism. House: The main character, Dr. Gregory House, is addicted to pain killers and admits it. He doesn't do anything about it and neither do the people around him (sometimes they try to make him realize he has a problem, but then they give up). Message: It's okay to be an addict since it has no real consecuences. Reality TV sais that it's okay to be rude and mean (American Idol, America's Next whatever, etc.). Many crime dramas advocate for police brutallity and the suppression of civil rights. I can realize this is entertainment, but I wonder what effect it will have in people with a weak and easilly influenced mind.
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#2 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts

It's just tv. Same could be said for movies, video games, even sports...to a degree.

videogamer456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 videogamer456
Member since 2005 • 13282 Posts
Desperate Housewives caused my mom to leave my dad for the gardener.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts
Those shows are popular around here.......I don't watch either but I'm sure the fans will be in soon.
jm4847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jm4847

It's just tv. Same could be said for movies, video games, even sports...to a degree.

metallica_fan42
Yeah but Tv nowadays it's starting to look like they actually advocate for all that. One thing is to show the main character as a criminal and another is to try make him look like a heroe.
Desperate Housewives caused my mom to leave my dad for the gardener.videogamer456
:lol:
Grigrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Grigrog
Member since 2005 • 7291 Posts
I doubt this will convince people to become cold blodded murderers and in fact probably quite the opposite, showing them death might deter them. If you mean people can't deal with it then they can wathc something else.
Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#7 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
[QUOTE="metallica_fan42"]

jm4847
Yeah but Tv nowadays it's starting to look like they actually advocate for all that. One thing is to show the main character as a criminal and another is to try make him look like a heroe.
Desperate Housewives caused my mom to leave my dad for the gardener.videogamer456

Not all shows. I've never seen an episode of either of those so I can't really comment.
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Apenoot
Member since 2005 • 2087 Posts

I believe that TV, Games and music (rap lyrics, anyone?!) DO have some form of impact on ppl... ...when they're young! By the time kids grow into their teens, they also become wiser and have already learned basic norms and values which means they are better able to see what's right and wrong.

Also, I think stuff like women-degrading raps have a bigger influence than some over-the-top videogame shooter because dealing with women is a real-life, often occuring scenario. Virtually everyone can see that extreme violence and gore on TV and in games is 'over the top' and not realistic, but if your own idols start telling you to treat women like trash, chances are bigger that you will start to heed it.

Keeping little children away from shooters, violent TV shows and hateful music is the best way to raise them into proper behaving adults, the violent games etc. can come when they grow a bit older (Mario = fine :D ).

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

People have always talked about how TV is a bad influence and all that, but I'm starting to think that today is worse than ever. Two shows come to my mind right now (there are plenty more): 24: We all know what this show is about. It started with Jack Bauer, a family man willing to do whatever it takes to protect his family and his country (his family was first for him). Now we have Jack Bauer, a killing and torturing machine with no other goal than to stop the terrorists. So far he's committed at least 5 cold blooded murders (Victor Drazen, Marshall Goren, Nina Myers, the guy that carried out the Palmer assassination and Christopher Henderson) and from what we've heard, has tortured several people to death. Message: Everything is justified when it comes to protecting our country, even torture, murder and vigilanteeism. House: The main character, Dr. Gregory House, is addicted to pain killers and admits it. He doesn't do anything about it and neither do the people around him (sometimes they try to make him realize he has a problem, but then they give up). Message: It's okay to be an addict since it has no real consecuences. Reality TV sais that it's okay to be rude and mean (American Idol, America's Next whatever, etc.). Many crime dramas advocate for police brutallity and the suppression of civil rights. I can realize this is entertainment, but I wonder what effect it will have in people with a weak and easilly influenced mind.jm4847

They are gray characters that live in a gray world. Doesn't matter if your target has a gun, knife or if his back is turned. Dead is dead and if the mission parameters include eliminating specific targets or any threats... well.

This is all because gangster is popular. TV shows are more noir than ever. It used to be good people caught up in a gray world. Now it's just dirtbags, cause everybody wants to be gangsta. Such as the shield. They are all scumbags. There are no redeeming quality within Mackey nor anyone in his crew.

It's all just television, but I can't deny there is always the possibility of idiots turning their idolized fantasys into reallity.

Owned_Noob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Owned_Noob
Member since 2006 • 2136 Posts
i dont watch any of those shows
Avatar image for Greenwhitegreen
Greenwhitegreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Greenwhitegreen
Member since 2006 • 6315 Posts
SymphonicWaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SymphonicWaves
Member since 2006 • 832 Posts

metallica_fan42
Pretty much.
steppinrazor88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 steppinrazor88
Member since 2006 • 14441 Posts
it's just tv dude!!! but i don't watch those shows....fruits basket is good television and has never hurt anybody!!!!!! oh and arrested development is awesome dude!!!!
andyxm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 andyxm
Member since 2006 • 6194 Posts
I hate where television is going these days, down with reality tv, bring back the fonz.
bbkd3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bbkd3b
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

I believe that TV, Games and music (rap lyrics, anyone?!) DO have some form of impact on ppl... ...when they're young! By the time kids grow into their teens, they also become wiser and have already learned basic norms and values which means they are better able to see what's right and wrong.

Also, I think stuff like women-degrading raps have a bigger influence than some over-the-top videogame shooter because dealing with women is a real-life, often occuring scenario. Virtually everyone can see that extreme violence and gore on TV and in games is 'over the top' and not realistic, but if your own idols start telling you to treat women like trash, chances are bigger that you will start to heed it.

Keeping little children away from shooters, violent TV shows and hateful music is the best way to raise them into proper behaving adults, the violent games etc. can come when they grow a bit older (Mario = fine :D ).

Apenoot
I was watching Pulp Fiction at five, and I like to believe that I developed just fine. I'm pretty much the other way around. I think we need kids to learn about violence and terrible lyrics (though a good deal of rap, I agree, is pathetic. occasional rappers do good, though) so that when they actually become exposed to some of those things in real life, they are less impactful and perhaps less traumatic.
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MagnumPI
  You say it's just TV, but you're only considering how television effects you.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
You say it's just TV, but you're only considering how television effects you. MagnumPI
I...don't even know where to begin, lol.
Avatar image for iloveyoufudgems
iloveyoufudgems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 iloveyoufudgems
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vash_the_Stampede

for some reason this guy seems to be the best candidate for being cool while at the same time wont be a bad thing...

buckfush311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 buckfush311
Member since 2006 • 537 Posts
TV is bad for everyone....can we say "brainwashing?"
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Apenoot

I was watching Pulp Fiction at five, and I like to believe that I developed just fine. I'm pretty much the other way around. I think we need kids to learn about violence and terrible lyrics (though a good deal of rap, I agree, is pathetic. occasional rappers do good, though) so that when they actually become exposed to some of those things in real life, they are less impactful and perhaps less traumatic.bbkd3b

If you watch a violent movie or play a game occasionally as a kid, it's okay. As long as there's enough other things around you to compensate for it (loving parents, for instance). However some ppl aren't blessed with those circumstances and I think the media can definetly influence those ppl.

I also don't see why traumatic events shouldn't have an impact on ppl. It's the other way around nowadays, violence is kind of an accepted (though not generally loved) phenomenon and nobody will lose any sleep over horrific images from wars etc. That's not how it should be.

DaveGamer_05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaveGamer_05
Member since 2005 • 18823 Posts
The world isn't perfect. Get over it.
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MagnumPI

[QUOTE="MagnumPI"] You say it's just TV, but you're only considering how television effects you. Articuno76
I...don't even know where to begin, lol.

That doesn't suprise me.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
The media - inclusive of television - is bad for weak people because it turns them into zombies and gives them their own opinions. Tragic really.
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Apenoot

The media inclusive of television - is bad for weak people because it turns them into zombies and gives them their own opinions. Tragic really.luke1889

Having your own opinion has nothing to do with TV. If you have no examples on TV or in magazines, you will think about how to carry yourself without much outside interferance (save from friends etc) which imo leads to a more honest 'own opinion'.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MagnumPI

The media - inclusive of television - is bad for weak people because it turns them into zombies and gives them their own opinions. Tragic really. luke1889

I wouldn't say gives them their OWN opinions.. Maybe A opinion, but not their own.  Sometimes I feel like going on a killing spree, but being sent to prison or running from the police for the rest of my life isn't an exciting prospect. So the law has persuaded me not to.

Flaming_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Flaming_Ape
Member since 2007 • 3246 Posts
I can't believe that you're one of those people who believes that entertainment affects people's minds. :|
bbkd3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bbkd3b
Member since 2007 • 313 Posts

[QUOTE="luke1889"]The media - inclusive of television - is bad for weak people because it turns them into zombies and gives them their own opinions. Tragic really. MagnumPI

I wouldn't say gives them their OWN opinions.. Maybe A opinion, but not their own.  Sometimes I feel like going on a killing spree, but being sent to prison or running from the police for the rest of my life isn't an exciting prospect. So the law has persuaded me not to.

I agree that TV doesn't give one their OWN opinions because TV presents other people giving THEIR opinions and thus, those people hear those opinions and decide whether or not that is their opinion. TV, moreso gives people OTHER people's opinions. That's why people actually know who Bill O' Reily is.
Apenoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Apenoot

I can't believe that you're one of those people who believes that entertainment affects people's minds. :|Flaming_Ape

Entertainment doesn't affect someone's mind, the constant barrage of violence, hatred, disrespect and loathing that's on TV, in videogames and in mags is what pollutes ppl's minds. And then, I still believe it affects mostly kids.

jm4847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jm4847
I can't believe that you're one of those people who believes that entertainment affects people's minds. :|Flaming_Ape
Depends on each person. Eventually people start thinking "Hey, torture isn't that bad" or "It's ok to kill killers", "it's okay to be an addict".
Zap-O-Matic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zap-O-Matic
Member since 2006 • 5331 Posts
I think these are the worst influences that i've seen so far... Grand Theft Auto I mean, this game is 10x worse then any other ''shooting'' type game, because for one, you're killing innocent people and cops, and two, it's TO REALISTIC (i mean this in the way that it has normal people, real guns, ect.) you see, Metal Gear Solid is acceptable because it's a war game (cold war) and most other games that i've seen don't match up to that.
freeze893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 freeze893
Member since 2004 • 1382 Posts
Vanilla Ice made my mother say "****"
Zap-O-Matic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zap-O-Matic
Member since 2006 • 5331 Posts
and rap music.(most)...actually it's more ''hip-hop'' over rap. and i love house m.d !! never seen 24 though :shock:
jm4847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jm4847
[QUOTE="Zap-O-Matic"]I think these are the worst influences that i've seen so far... Grand Theft Auto I mean, this game is 10x worse then any other ''shooting'' type game, because for one, you're killing innocent people and cops, and two, it's TO REALISTIC (i mean this in the way that it has normal people, real guns, ect.) you see, Metal Gear Solid is acceptable because it's a war game (cold war) and most other games that i've seen don't match up to that.

Someone made a thread about a Jigsaw game the other day. I'm starting to think there should be a limit...
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
tv is not the only influence
PeterTimpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PeterTimpa
Member since 2005 • 2509 Posts
I know this is my opinion. But I think 24 is one of the best shows out there along with Lost and The Sopranos for action Drama

jm4847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jm4847
I know this is my opinion. But I think 24 is one of the best shows out there along with Lost and The Sopranos for action Drama

PeterTimpa
I'm not saying it isn't (except for Lost I've never seen it).
zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zsc4
Member since 2005 • 5233 Posts
Who cares... Not me.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points