This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Audio/visual maestros of OT I need your help: My trusted Samsung LCD TV is on its last legs. It has served me well for the six years that I've had it but it's time to move on to bigger and better things. So, seeing as I still have half of my half of my tax return left($800) I'm looking to spend that on a new TV for my needs. Basically I'm looking for picture quality over anything else. I want my blacks to look black(not grey) and I want to go up to 1080p. Going above 50 inches will be pushing it a bit but if the price is right then I won't mind. This TV is going to be my video-gaming TV and I'll be seated about five or six feet away from it while gaming.

I also don't really want any Smart TV functionality. I already watch Netflix and whatever else I want to on my PS4.

So who can give me some suggestions before I go TV shopping?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I know it's a bit more than your remaining amount, but for the money, it's hard to beat the 60" Sharp Aquos at Costco for $1,000.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@Pirate700 said:

I know it's a bit more than your remaining amount, but for the money, it's hard to beat the 60" Sharp Aquos at Costco for $1,000.

It's also huge. Lol. My only real problem is that on the LED TV I have in the living room the blacks don't look too good. It seems to be a problem with all LED TVs. I heard I should go plasma if I want a better picture but I don't know too much about plasmas.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

@airshocker said:

@Pirate700 said:

It's also huge. Lol.

haha Well yeah a 60" is gonna take a bit more space than a 50", but if you can fit it, it's such a sweet set. I think you can get a 50" Samsung for around your $800 there though too, if I'm not mistaken.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Tigerdirect is your friend. I know it is $50 more than your budget but they have a 50 inch 4K TV on sale right now. I would post a direct link but I'm on my iPad right now.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Black being black? That sounds like a Panasonic Plasma. I had a Samsung 42'' LED or LCD (don't remember) at home for like a week and took it back to Best Buy because I couldn't deal with the Soap-opera effect. No way I was watching my movies like that. So I bent and went with the Panasonic, 1080p, 50'' Plasma which I tried to avoid (since I thought it would be too big) since my first choice was a Panasonic 42'' but Panasonic had just decided at that very moment to stop making 42'' Plasmas. Now you might need that whole tax return...

TL:DR Get a Panasonic 50'' (or higher) 1080P Plasma.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

Tigerdirect is your friend. I know it is $50 more than your budget but they have a 50 inch 4K TV on sale right now. I would post a direct link but I'm on my iPad right now.

4K is sort of a gimmick right now since there's very, very, VERY, little 4K content unless Airshocker has a godlike PC and wants to play in that resolution.

Here you go Air: http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-50LN5400-50-Inch-LED-LCD/dp/B00BB9OPQY/ref=sr_1_26?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1396227955&sr=1-26

LEDs are fine, the black level depends on the TV. If you want to get a Plasma you're going to have to search around for Panasonic ones that haven't been sold, since Panasonic discontinued them and their plasmas are by far and away the best of that type. I'd still recommend an LED model with the more hertz the better.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6816 Posts

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty hyped for Samsung's curved screen TVs.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23009 Posts

@airshocker said:

@Pirate700 said:

It's also huge. Lol. My only real problem is that on the LED TV I have in the living room the blacks don't look too good. It seems to be a problem with all LED TVs. I heard I should go plasma if I want a better picture but I don't know too much about plasmas.

For the blackest blacks, you need to get a plasma.

They're a good technology. They offer far better pictures than LCDs. The drawbacks are primarily that their masks are rigid glass, making them more fragile during movement, and they're simply hard to find these days. LCDs can be made for less, so plasmas have been crowded out to a large extent.

They used to have a problem with ghosting after a long still image, but they rectified that long ago, so don't let that scare you off.

LED doesn't mean much with current technology. Unless the set is a super high end set, it just refers to the type of backlight. Eventually. the active matrix type displays may take over and offer the black levels you're looking for, but we're not there on a mass scale yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:

@Pirate700 said:

They're a good technology. They offer far better pictures than LCDs. The drawbacks are primarily that their masks are rigid glass, making them more fragile during movement, and they're simply hard to find these days. LCDs can be made for less, so plasmas have been crowded out to a large extent.

They used to have a problem with ghosting after a long still image, but they rectified that long ago, so don't let that scare you off.

LED doesn't mean much with current technology. Unless the set is a super high end set, it just refers to the type of backlight. Eventually. the active matrix type displays may take over and offer the black levels you're looking for, but we're not there on a mass scale yet.

How about the Samsung plasmas? There's a 51", 1080p one for around $700.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Best of luck

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23009 Posts

@airshocker said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:

@Pirate700 said:

I couldn't tell you much about individual models at the moment. I'll leave that to the others here if they're so inclined.

GoogleAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 GoogleAndroid
Member since 2013 • 162 Posts

Get a plasma. Panasonic, Samsung, and LG are the only brands left. They all make great plasmas and you really can't go wrong with any of them. However, LG plasmas do tend to have lighter black levels(still better than an LCD), but they also tend to be cheaper.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

I think the best advice one could give is to wait until black Friday and cyber Monday for something like a TV.

If you can't wait, here available for pre-order is a new Samsung 28'' 4K monitor for $700

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IEZGWI2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@killzowned24 said:

I think the best advice one could give is to wait until black Friday and cyber Monday for something like a TV.

If you can't wait, here available for pre-order is a new Samsung 28'' 4K monitor for $700

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IEZGWI2

Nah, the TV I use for gaming on my PS3 and PS4 is going NOW. Sometimes I have to keep turning it off and on in order for it to register the HDMI inputs.

And I'm not looking for a monitor. I'm looking for a TV that I can watch movies and play games on. 28" is way too small.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

55 inches is right for something not too big, not too small

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

the VIZIO M series tvs are pretty nice and have great picture quality for the price

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

dynex has really great cheap lcd tvs. but if you want super black then you probably want plasma.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

@airshocker said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:

@Pirate700 said:

Go for it. I made the jump last year from your standard LCD tvs to a 50" plasma. I have no intentions of ever going back. Just uh, be careful of playing games with HUDs on them with no breaks. I've had some ghosting here and there from marathoning Demon's Souls and LoZ: Twilight Princess'. Both HUDS disappeared over time fortunately.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts

@airshocker said:

@mattbbpl said:

@airshocker said:

@Pirate700 said:

I think all the plasma brands left are somewhat decent. For blacks you absolutely need a plasma though, and unfortunantly they are going out of style. Panasonic, which is considered the best left, is about to stop production on their VIERA line of plasma for consumers. From personnal experience, they are worth it.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@ad1x2 said:

buying a TV online?

thats crazy