mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

President Donald Trump tweeted Tuesday that he would dispatch federal authorities to Chicago if they didn't address violence in the city, which he described as "horrible 'carnage.'"

"If Chicago doesn't fix the horrible "carnage" going on, 228 shootings in 2017 with 42 killings (up 24% from 2016), I will send in the Feds!" the president tweeted Tuesday.

So he is going to turn Chicago into a police state? What is this psycho up to? Is this what you voted for? Are you hoping it comes to your city next? What do you think he actually means by this?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-chicago-carnage-234145

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Good.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Tell that him to bring it. Fackin coward.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

That's an average of 9.5 shootings per day since the beginning of the year.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@n64dd said:

Good.

Exactly. The local government of Chicago has not seen progress. In fact, its became worse. Someone has to step in. I know its anecdotal, but my friends entire family moved to my city from Chicago due to how bad it has become. Ton of stories out there about this.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 N64DD

@intotheminx said:
@n64dd said:

Good.

Exactly. The local government of Chicago has not seen progress. In fact, its became worse. Someone has to step in. I know its anecdotal, but my friends entire family moved to my city from Chicago due to how bad it has become. Ton of stories out there about this.

Time to end the violence.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mark1974

There is no doubt that the killing is out of hand. There doesn't really need to be a debate there. I would like to remind people that aren't familiar with Chicago that the entire city is not like this though. It's mostly occurring on one side of town. As a life long Chicagoan I always feel it necessary to explain that. Chicago is a booming and vibrant city with a lot of rich people living there too. Don't think it is all a south side ghetto because you couldn't be more wrong.

Anyway, how do you feel about the federal government taking over a city? It doesn't seem very Republican to me. Not only are states rights not being respected but we are talking about a city here. I'm not even sure what Trump means with that tweet. It seems very irresponsible to just shout things with no explanation whatsoever. Seeing this done by the president of the United States is a little odd to say the least.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Right, treat Chicago liked an occupied city, citizens will definitely respond with open arms.

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Franklinstein
Member since 2004 • 7017 Posts

Either party is totally against any overreach of the government, unless they're the ones doing it. It's wrong every time.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mark1974

The president's late-night tweet Tuesday also comes a day after Emanuel bashed Trump and his administration for their ongoing feud with the media over the size of the audience at his inaugural address.

Can this be the reason? Is he really that nuts to invade a city on a pretext of stopping violence because Rahm Emanuel bashed him for focussing on the inaugural crowd size? He might actually be crazy enough I think.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mark1974

Also, I looked up the murder capitals of the US per capita and Chicago didn't even rank. People need to keep in mind how big a city Chicago is.

Rank City

30 Washington, DC

29 Milwaukee, WI

28 East Chicago, IN

27 Desert Hot Springs, CA

26 Goldsboro, NC

25 Salinas, CA

24 Myrtle Beach, SC

23 Hartford, CT

22 Banning, CA

21 Bessemer, AL

20 Baton Rouge, LA

19 Youngstown, OH

18 Riviera Beach, FL

17 Jackson, MS

16 Cleveland, OH

15 Portsmouth, VA

14 Monroe, LA

13 Newark, NJ

12 Birmingham, AL

11 Wilmington, DE

10 Camden, NJ

9 New Orleans, LA

8 Detroit, MI

7 Flint, MI

6 Petersburg, VA

5 Baltimore, MD

4 St. Louis, MO

3 Gary, IN

2 Chester, PA

1 East St. Louis, IL

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts
@n64dd said:
@intotheminx said:
@n64dd said:

Good.

We should ban guns.

Or we can send in federal troops and occupy the city, treating the area like a warzone. Therefore leading to the violations of basic rights of all Americans and the creeping worst forms of large government in the U.S.

These kinds of beliefs are dangerous to the Republic and will only lead to catastrophe.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 N64DD

@drunk_pi said:
@n64dd said:
@intotheminx said:
@n64dd said:

Good.

We should ban guns.

Or we can send in federal troops and occupy the city, treating the area like a warzone. Therefore leading to the violations of basic rights of all Americans and the creeping worst forms of large government in the U.S.

These kinds of beliefs are dangerous to the Republic and will only lead to catastrophe.

That's some cute commie logic. Cool story bro.

I'm for stopping children getting shot by gangs and drug cartels.

Looks like one of us will get our way, and it's not you.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@mark1974:

I live there and I haven't heard shit. Just smoke out of his ass.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58900 Posts

Right, because Americans respond so well to occupation...

*Seriously, though, what this is going to end up as is martial law being declared and the national guard being sent in. Shit is going to get crazy.

Then all the rural Trump supporters in Illinois are going to creep on in to Chicago--remember what happened when the recruiter was shot and the "militia men" decided to "defend" them?-- and declare open season on minorities, and suddenly ~9 shootings a day is going to be 90 shootings a day.

Good luck with that, Trump.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Drunk_PI

@n64dd said:
@drunk_pi said:
@n64dd said:
@intotheminx said:
@n64dd said:

Good.

We should ban guns.

That's some cute commie logic. Cool story bro.

I'm for stopping children getting shot by gangs and drug cartels.

Looks like one of us will get our way, and it's not you.

Defending liberty and fundamental rights is communism... Jesus Christ what the **** did I just read?

As someone previously mentioned, the violence in Chicago is serious but nothing that warrants federal troops. You're being suckered into propaganda dude.

Seriously, you sound like a fascist.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#18 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19840 Posts

@xdude85 said:

Right, treat Chicago liked an occupied city, citizens will definitely respond with open arms.

And eventually, civil war breaks out.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19840 Posts

Seems like Trump was reacting to a segment by Bill O'Reilly on Fox News:

Trump's Chicago tweet is another response to cable news

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nepu7supastar7

I think people are taking Trump's Tweet a bit too literally. You'd think people would be used to his constant bitching by now.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Drunk_PI

A good insight on how to decrease the violence in Chicago without the use of federal troops: LINK

@killered3 said:

I think people are taking Trump's Tweet a bit too literally. You'd think people would be used to his constant bitching by now.

Trump is the president of the United States and just tweeted that he wants to send federal troops to a city in the United States. The presidency has enormous powers that is being wielded by an orange crybaby.

We've seen how power is wielded by terrible men so I think we should take his tweets "literally" for the time being.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 N64DD

@drunk_pi said:

A good insight on how to decrease the violence in Chicago without the use of federal troops: LINK

@killered3 said:

Trump is the president of the United States and just tweeted that he wants to send federal troops to a city in the United States. The presidency has enormous powers that is being wielded by an orange crybaby.

We've seen how power is wielded by terrible men so I think we should take his tweets "literally" for the time being.

I'm glad you support drug cartels and drug violence with your "lets all hug and hope it goes away" attitude.

Trump is cleaning house.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Drunk_PI
@n64dd said:
@drunk_pi said:

@killered3 said:

I'm glad you support drug cartels and drug violence with your "lets all hug and hope it goes away" attitude.

Trump is cleaning house.

Where in my comment did I suggest that I support drug cartels and drug violence? Where in my comment did I suggest that "hugging and hoping it goes away" is the solution?

Sending federal troops is costly and will backfire. It makes no sense and there is no plan. It's rhetoric that feels good on the ear but reality is a bitter pill to swallow.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

@mark1974: Your murder statistic is very misleading. Chicago had 4,368 shootings last year according to the Chicago Tribune. The reason why we don't have 4,000+ murders, is simply because the shooters were poor marksmen. NYC, the largest American city on the other hand. Had 990 shootings in 2016, according to Newsday.

http://crime.chicagotribune.com/chicago/shootings/

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/nyc-shootings-homicides-down-in-2016-records-show-1.12830158

The violence in Chicago is well out of control. Chicago is not the biggest city in America, and in just 24 days into the year. 224 people have been shot. And those are reported incidents. That number can be higher. The Chicago government, has failed to protect its citizens in an adequate matter for a 1st world country. People in the local and state government, are getting nice tax payer funded salaries/benefits. And they need to be held accountable. The mass violence in Chicago has gone on far too long to be overlooked. It is likely about time for the feds to step in. Maybe martial law isn't the best or proper solution. But a number of Chicago and Illinois politicians, and government employees. Have gotten away with neglecting their jobs for far too long.

@killered3 said:

And this too should be noted. Whether you like it or not that Trump is a reactionary person and says things out of the moment. That's who he is. And it needs to be noted when he makes rash statements.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 N64DD

@drunk_pi said:
@n64dd said:
@drunk_pi said:

@killered3 said:

Trump is cleaning house.

Where in my comment did I suggest that I support drug cartels and drug violence? Where in my comment did I suggest that "hugging and hoping it goes away" is the solution?

Sending federal troops is costly and will backfire. It makes no sense and there is no plan. It's rhetoric that feels good on the ear but reality is a bitter pill to swallow.

Why exactly do you support gangs and drug cartels?

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jak42

So I actually decided to read the article the OP posted. There's nothing about martial law or troops in Trumps actual tweets.

All Trump wrote was "the Feds". I fail to see how that clearly means armed forces. And the article acknowledged that too. If anything, it implies other government agencies.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R3FURBISHED

@jak42 said:

So I actually decided to read the article the OP posted. There's nothing about martial law or troops in Trumps actual tweets.

All Trump wrote was "the Feds". I fail to see how that clearly means armed forces. If anything, it implies other government agencies.

It is vague and open ended(classic Trump), as "the Feds" could mean armed federal agents just as easily as it could mean FEMA. But what do people think of when someone says "the Feds"? FBI and CIA, men in black suits who operate with impunity.

This is coming from a man who, just today, put a freeze on government hiring, yet is now proposing sending federal agents into a major US city? Smaller government does not mean the federal government can begin interfering with states

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

@xdude85 said:

and those who raise their arms against authority shall be dealt with, therefore eliminating the threats of the land, which is the goal.

The goal is to rid the land from the harmful threats, if violent people are the threat, then they must go.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R3FURBISHED

@kend0_kap0ni: What are you suggesting? Who are these harmful threats and where must they "go"?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Chiraq needs help.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jak42

@R3FURBISHED: The hiring freeze exempts public safety personnel, military, and national security.

I would imagine the Feds would fit in two of those categories.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mark1974
@jak42 said:

All Trump wrote was "the Feds". I fail to see how that clearly means armed forces. And the article acknowledged that too. If anything, it implies other government agencies.

So now bother to read my post where I say

What do you think he actually means by this?

Or the other post I made where I said

I'm not even sure what Trump means with that tweet.

Or the title that has a question mark after it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#34 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

He's not going to do shit. He pops his mouth off like a valley girl and you guys get baited every time......

Chocobo_PS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Chocobo_PS2
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts

Trump make great wall for America. Just like chinese wipe those tibey member resistant like road blockers. Weeds must be purged.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@n64dd:

Right now he's feasting on the executive actions he can get away with. Unfortunately for Trump, that will only take him so far.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56833 Posts

Keep on disturbing the Hornet's nest, it's gonna backfired on Trump in a couple of months. Whoever is the Governor of Chicago needs to do it himself, not Trump.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nepu7supastar7

@davillain-:

We're already doing something about it by beefing up patrols in bad neighborhoods. The death rates are even declining in Cook County alone which is where Chicago is located. It's not even the worst city in the country! It gets A LOT worse than us down the list.

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

You have to be a special kind of stupid to believe that "feds" refer to soldiers in the military. Even non-Americans know that it is used to describe FBI agents or agents from similar agencies.

I don't understand why these leftists keep on mocking the term "alternative facts" while at the same time peddling blatant lies and exaggerations. Can't they see that they're undermining their own arguments?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mark1974

@jointed: no one is claiming anything. Just trying to figure out what Trump means since he wasn't responsible enough to explain it himself. Not to mention it was tit for tat tweet in a feud with the mayor of chicago. And taking that into consideration it was certainly a threat. Not an offer for some friendly help from Washington.

TotalRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TotalRobot
Member since 2017 • 187 Posts

Chicago needs something to be done. It's becoming a war zone. For a city like NYC or LA, that rate of shootings might be reasonable. For a city like Chicago? No.

@drunk_pi

Believe it or not, but my area found a way to lessen gun violence... by loosening gun restrictions and making it legal for people to respond to attacks with force and, if necessary, outright killing someone. Strangely enough, this is working. Gun violence and murders have gone down. Of course, now they're trying to figure out how to get the number of auto accidents down, as those have massively increased for completely unrelated reasons.

My point is that banning guns isn't necessarily the answer. For one thing, the American culture of murdering each other even in schools predates the founding of the United States. In fact, it took the Civil War to give an incentive for people to consider something other than armed rebellion as a form of large-scale protest. School massacres have been happening regularly since the early 1800s. The worst school massacres didn't involve involve guns as their primary intended weapon.

This isn't a problem that is easily fixed by doing just one thing. We need to dig into the underlying social and economic issues that have made the continent United States an ongoing, multi-century bloodbath. Addressing firearms is just a method of ignoring the problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

@mark1974 said:

@jointed: no one is claiming anything. Just trying to figure out what Trump means since he wasn't responsible enough to explain it himself. Not to mention it was tit for tat tweet in a feud with the mayor of chicago. And taking that into consideration it was certainly a threat. Not an offer for some friendly help from Washington.

Sure, there's uncertainty about what he means. This uncertainty is tied to the words in his tweet however, and their common meaning. This is why you're not babbling about Chicago being invaded by postal workers even though they're employed by the federal government.

Thus, mentioning martial law and occupation when Trump is talking about "the feds" is simply a weasel move. But you know this of course.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

A city in Georgia where there is a law that requires homeowners to own a gun has had only 1 murder since the law was implemented. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nepu7supastar7

@WhiteKnight77:

I'm betting that city doesn't have nearly as many gangs living in it as Chicago does.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mark1974

@jointed: Man, a civil discussion is nearly impossible for you isn't it? I feel sorry for you because you are clearly a miserable human being.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3897 Posts

The current mayor seams to be incapable of handling the situation or unwilling. The situation can not be allowed to continue. in 1968 after the shooting of Martin Luther King the National Guard was sent into many cities to restore order and help local authorities. That is what will happen in Chicago if the local authorities can't bring the situation under control.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mark1974

@totalrobot: You say that many murders would be ok for nyc and la but not chicago. Chicago is the third biggest city in the nation. And if we look at per capita they don't even rate in the top 30. I would also like to point out that murders peaked in Chicago in 1974 at 920. Not to say that things aren't terrible but it seems like we can never keep things in context when it comes to Chicago and murders.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

@mark1974 said:

@jointed: Man, a civil discussion is nearly impossible for you isn't it? I feel sorry for you because you are clearly a miserable human being.

There's no chance of having a civil discussion when it's initiated by rumors of police states, military occupations and accusations of people being "psychos".

This is another interesting feature I've noticed with people on the left. They fling accusations and labels around, and then they act surprised when they get a proportionate reaction.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mark1974

@jointed: it's not just me or this thread. Have you ever in your 17000 post said anything remotely pleasant to anyone?

TotalRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TotalRobot
Member since 2017 • 187 Posts

@mark1974

It's also dwarfed by the other two. Chicago has a population of 2.7 million, as compared to the population of the city of LA (which has a population of 4 million, or larger if you consider that nearly everything that talks about LA is talking about the LA metropolitan area, which has a population of 13 million people) or NYC (population of 8 million).

If you want to compare straight larger areas, Chicago can boast 10 million people, but is massively overshadowed by the 18 million for LA and 20 million for NYC. But then, the crime for Chicago becomes a lot more reasonable.