Trailers and Film Recommendations

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
DEVILinIRON

5142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5142 Posts

Directed by Michael Mann. Director of Last of the Mohicans, Heat, and Collateral among others. Starring a young James Caan and Jim Belushi. Great film that maintains tension throughout. The soundtrack is hypnotic.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

44633

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44633 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: Thief is good? That's good to know, it's on Amazon Prime and I almost watched it the other day.

I recommend The Midnight Meat Train. Good balance of mystery and horror, that's done in a believable fashion. The ending is just really out there in a good way.

Loading Video...

And it's funny listening to Bradley Cooper, he changed his voice so much.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

35597

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35597 Posts

Danny Devito's Penguin was an incel before people started panicking about Joker incel attacks 25 years later.

Loading Video...

Not really a Batman movie, more a weird depressing anti-Christmas movie with beautiful visuals and a beautiful soundtrack to match.

Also like the basic idea behind the movie.

Batman is created by his parents being killed, acting as a motivation to do good where he creates the image of a monster to distal fear into criminals.

Oswald Cobblepot on the other-hand, is rejected by his parents for being perceived as a monster, consequently attempting to kill him as a child, whom he kills eventually growing up to resent society, putting on a front of humanity, when there is basically none left. Much like Walter White in Breaking Bad, his delusions of being a good person eventually drop entirely as the full extent of his plan is revealed.

And then you have Selina Kyle with Catwoman created through being killed, like Oswald resentful of society, but more intent in her own self-destruction.

It's a very miserable movie with damaged characters that doesn't really have a happy ending.

Perfect Christmas viewing.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

35597

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35597 Posts

Opium And The Kung Fu Master (which should be sitting on Netflix right now) is a late Shaw Brothers martial arts movie about the dangers of heroin of and kung fu.

It's basically Rocky 3, where instead of Micky dying he smokes a shit load of heroin, and instead of going to Phily he has to be punch Chinese pottery while going cold turkey, surprisingly well executed. One of the best Shaw Brothers martial arts movies.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
DEVILinIRON

5142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#5 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5142 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Wow, one of the best SB's movies? That's saying a lot. I'll try and check that out.

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
DEVILinIRON

5142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5142 Posts
Loading Video...

If you haven't already seen Seven Samurai, you owe it to yourself to do so. It's at the top of many a film lovers lists.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

35597

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35597 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: Great movie. Ain't seen it in years, might be worth a watch.

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
DEVILinIRON

5142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5142 Posts

@mrbojangles25: It's not on Netflix anymore, so I can't watch it. 😒

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

3246

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3246 Posts

One of my favorites always keeps you guessing Exam 2009 psychological thriller.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for ezekiel43
Ezekiel43

1910

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 1910 Posts

I've found a ton of great recommendations by following TSPDT. It has exposed me to so many that I feel obligated to mention it, even if I disagree with a lot of the picks/places.

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php

@DEVILinIRON said:

@mrbojangles25: It's not on Netflix anymore, so I can't watch it. 😒

But Netflix doesn't have MOST movies.

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
DEVILinIRON

5142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#11 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5142 Posts

@ezekiel43: Lol. True. That is what I have access to atm. Kinda strapped for cash until the 1st.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

35597

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35597 Posts

Just got done watching Heroes Of The East on Amazon Prime, usually never bother with Prime as half the shit you have to pay for, but it also seems to have all the SHAW BROTHER movies and they all are free under prime, which is nice.

The first half of this movie is an odd couple comedy with a Chinese man arrange marriage to a Japanese wife, with the culture differences resulting in lots in lots of a fighting, where a Chinese movie (funnily enough) declares Chinese martial arts superior.

The second half involves her leaving him, and him accidentally inciting a bunch of Japanese martial artists to come over and challenge him, and for that point on the entire movie is a gauntlet.

Has Gordon Liu which is almost pretty much guaranteed to be good shit.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
DEVILinIRON

5142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5142 Posts

@warmblur: I remember this trailer from when Exam originally came out. Kind of reminds me of Cube. Where there are a handful of strangers locked in a room and have to figure out how to escape or pass the test. Looks good.

@uninspiredcup: I've seen a handful of SB's films. My favorite so far are Invincible Pole Fighter and Shaolin Master Killer.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

35597

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35597 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: Oh yea, The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (as it's called here) is great. It's a trilogy, all though each movie isn't directly connected and the tone varies widely.

Avatar image for DEVILinIRON
DEVILinIRON

5142

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5142 Posts

Loading Video... So this is a Hammer film. If you know what a Hammer film is then you know what to expect. It's 70's schlock, but good 70's schlock. Watch if you are ok with low budget horror.

Avatar image for Byshop
Byshop

19617

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#16 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19617 Posts

@warmblur: I liked Exam. I'm a big fan of the whole "people in a room who have to think their way out of the situation" setup for films, especially sci-fi. Even though by the end the plot twists had stretched well beyond plausible or sensical, it was still an enjoyable film overall.

A few other "honorable mentions" for films of that type are Circle (2015), The Killing Room (2009), and the "Cube" series of films.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

3246

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3246 Posts

@Byshop said:

@warmblur: I liked Exam. I'm a big fan of the whole "people in a room who have to think their way out of the situation" setup for films, especially sci-fi. Even though by the end the plot twists had stretched well beyond plausible or sensical, it was still an enjoyable film overall.

A few other "honorable mentions" for films of that type are Circle (2015), The Killing Room (2009), and the "Cube" series of films.

Yeah, I love those kind of movies they are call trapped genre according to IMDB here are some of my favorites.

  • Frozen 2010, 3 people stuck on a ski lift
  • Elevator 2011 nine strangers stuck on a elevator
  • P2 Woman trapped in a parking lot with a killer on Christmas eve
  • Triangle 2009 stuck in a time loop

Avatar image for Byshop
Byshop

19617

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#18 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19617 Posts

@warmblur said:
@Byshop said:

@warmblur: I liked Exam. I'm a big fan of the whole "people in a room who have to think their way out of the situation" setup for films, especially sci-fi. Even though by the end the plot twists had stretched well beyond plausible or sensical, it was still an enjoyable film overall.

A few other "honorable mentions" for films of that type are Circle (2015), The Killing Room (2009), and the "Cube" series of films.

Yeah, I love those kind of movies they are call trapped genre according to IMDB here are some of my favorites.

  • Frozen 2010, 3 people stuck on a ski lift
  • Elevator 2011 nine strangers stuck on a elevator
  • P2 Woman trapped in a parking lot with a killer on Christmas eve
  • Triangle 2009 stuck in a time loop

The first two I don't know. P2 I've heard of but never got around to it. The film "Down" which is part of the Into the Dark horror anthology series is a pretty good "trapped in an elevator" film.

I thought about Triangle when this thread came up as a general recommendation as a really cool movie. I hadn't thought of it as a "trapped" movie exactly but it's a pretty cool film.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

3246

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3246 Posts

@Byshop said:
@warmblur said:
@Byshop said:

@warmblur: I liked Exam. I'm a big fan of the whole "people in a room who have to think their way out of the situation" setup for films, especially sci-fi. Even though by the end the plot twists had stretched well beyond plausible or sensical, it was still an enjoyable film overall.

A few other "honorable mentions" for films of that type are Circle (2015), The Killing Room (2009), and the "Cube" series of films.

Yeah, I love those kind of movies they are call trapped genre according to IMDB here are some of my favorites.

  • Frozen 2010, 3 people stuck on a ski lift
  • Elevator 2011 nine strangers stuck on a elevator
  • P2 Woman trapped in a parking lot with a killer on Christmas eve
  • Triangle 2009 stuck in a time loop

The first two I don't know. P2 I've heard of but never got around to it. The film "Down" which is part of the Into the Dark horror anthology series is a pretty good "trapped in an elevator" film.

I thought about Triangle when this thread came up as a general recommendation as a really cool movie. I hadn't thought of it as a "trapped" movie exactly but it's a pretty cool film.

Yes, I've seen that one it was good the dark horror anthology series has some really great episodes.

Avatar image for johnd13
johnd13

9808

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 9808 Posts

I've been a huge fan of South Korean movies, especially thrillers, for a while now. I would strongly recommend anyone to check out Memories of Murder, the Vengeance trilogy, Silenced, Train to Busan, The Chaser, Mother, The Man from Nowhere, I Saw The Devil and The Yellow Sea.

Avatar image for Byshop
Byshop

19617

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#21 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 19617 Posts

@warmblur: I'm about halfway through In The Tall Grass on Netflix. Seems a bit Triangle-ey in terms of people trapped in a weird situation that doesn't make sense.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

35597

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35597 Posts

@DEVILinIRON said:

Loading Video... So this is a Hammer film. If you know what a Hammer film is then you know what to expect. It's 70's schlock, but good 70's schlock. Watch if you are ok with low budget horror.

Hammer films are awesome, use to get shown in the UK constantly but are barely on now, which sucks.

Can't beat abit of Peter Cushing as Frankenstein, perfect casting. Even though he's suppose to be 20-30 and looks 55, just adds to the charm.

-

Toys (1992) is a very interesting movie. It was a total flop critically and commercially. It predicated stuff like Drone Warfare and the military using games to promote recruitment.

Entire movie has a very surreal childhood innocence vs MTV generation cynicism theme and every character (who's good) appears to be mentally stunted.

Stunning visuals and really nice soundtrack as well, some odd stuff like Frankie Goes To Hollywood rescored into a Hans Zimmer battle soundtrack.

Loading Video...