Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic?

#1 Posted by tohot240 (49 posts) -

Which would you buy if you could buy a new car?

#2 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

Honda Civic. Last few cars in my family (myself, parents, sister) have been Honda's and we all have no regrets.

They last forever if you keep the oil topped up and take it in for maintenance when needed.

Plus they've got decent interiors, peppy (if not powerful) engines, and decent style for the kind of car they are.

Toyota ain't bad, I just prefer Honda.

#4 Posted by watercrack445 (1823 posts) -

Toyota

#5 Posted by Ovirew (9119 posts) -

No contest, the Toyota Corolla.

#6 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

@Ovirew said:

No contest, the Toyota Corolla.

That was hilarious hahahahaha

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#7 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1696 posts) -

I'd say Toyota Corolla!

#8 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167107 posts) -

Neither one actually.

#9 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25450 posts) -

Civic. Great first car. I still have it.

#10 Posted by SOedipus (11575 posts) -

@crimsonbrute: same. Going on 13 years.

#11 Posted by shellcase86 (4521 posts) -

I'd be happy with either one. My Toyota outlasted my last Honda, but that's anecdoctal. Both are a great value and have generally great lifespans.

#12 Posted by Horgen (121112 posts) -

Toyota Corolla.

#13 Posted by foxhound_fox (98033 posts) -

Toyota, 9 times out of 10.

They are one of the few car brands still built to last 300-400k miles. Honda builds better motors, but Toyota builds a better complete package. And there have been some issues lately for Honda with new transmissions, especially the CVT and their GDI (gasoline direct injection) motor system causing oil dilution (high pressure in the cylinders forces fuel by the piston gaskets into the oil system).

But unlike GM or Fiat-Chrysler, Honda is actually owning up to the problem and fixing it for customers.

If you get down to it, your choice should reflect your tastes. They are both very good cars and extremely reliable. Go with the one that you prefer the "feel" of. Driving feel, ergonomic feel, etc. Both will likely outlast your need for them (most people don't drive cars beyond 100-150k miles).

After getting a 2005 Toyota Camry 1MZ-FE V6 a few months ago and knowing how bulletproof it is and how long it's going to last for me (it's got about 85k miles, and will go 400k no problem besides oil changes, brakes and tires) I probably won't shop much out of the Toyota brand moving forwards.

Go watch some Scotty Kilmer videos on Youtube, he's taught me a lot about cars.

#14 Posted by TJDMHEM (2147 posts) -

a Toyota corolla.

#15 Posted by lhughey (4649 posts) -

they are both great cars and very reliable. The civic is the better driver of the two traditionally. I admittedly haven't driven them lately, but Honda has traditionally made the civic drive a little more sporty.

#16 Posted by Byshop (19602 posts) -

You have Takumi's vote.

#17 Posted by with_teeth26 (9618 posts) -

My first car was a 97' Civic. it was awesome, i bought it for 2 grand, did minimal maintenence, drove it for a couple of years then sold it for 2 grand.

If I were to get a new car, I wouldn't get either since I need something with offroad capabilities.

but i'd still choose the civic if I had to (i've stuck with Honda and they have done me well but I know lots of people who have had good experiences with Toyota)

#18 Posted by ycdeo (2708 posts) -

Audi ttrs

#19 Edited by shellcase86 (4521 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Toyota, 9 times out of 10.

They are one of the few car brands still built to last 300-400k miles. Honda builds better motors, but Toyota builds a better complete package. And there have been some issues lately for Honda with new transmissions, especially the CVT and their GDI (gasoline direct injection) motor system causing oil dilution (high pressure in the cylinders forces fuel by the piston gaskets into the oil system).

But unlike GM or Fiat-Chrysler, Honda is actually owning up to the problem and fixing it for customers.

If you get down to it, your choice should reflect your tastes. They are both very good cars and extremely reliable. Go with the one that you prefer the "feel" of. Driving feel, ergonomic feel, etc. Both will likely outlast your need for them (most people don't drive cars beyond 100-150k miles).

After getting a 2005 Toyota Camry 1MZ-FE V6 a few months ago and knowing how bulletproof it is and how long it's going to last for me (it's got about 85k miles, and will go 400k no problem besides oil changes, brakes and tires) I probably won't shop much out of the Toyota brand moving forwards.

Go watch some Scotty Kilmer videos on Youtube, he's taught me a lot about cars.

I like his videos. I always wonder who is his camera guy.

#20 Edited by one_plum (6566 posts) -

Toyota Corolla wins for me on emotional factor alone. My dad drove a 93 Corolla (as a new car back then) and it lasted until last year. I was honestly a bit sad to see it finally bite the dust after so many years.

Strictly on paper, I would prefer the Civic's sporty character, but I have to admit that I'd rather spend more on modifying a Corolla to make it as sporty as the Civic just so I could drive something with a Toyota badge. That's the power of brand name I guess.

#21 Posted by foxhound_fox (98033 posts) -

@shellcase86 said:

I like his videos. I always wonder who is his camera guy.

He is, lol. He shoots and edits all his own stuff, which is crazy, because he uploads 2-4 videos a day.

He talks so quickly and his hands are all over the place like he's hopped up on cocaine or something, but his knowledge is unmatched, and I really enjoy he's so forthcoming with everything.