Top loved/hated Bachelor degrees by employers...

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"][QUOTE="Zeviander"]It's sad that people go to school these days to get a piece of paper with their name on it rather than an education. But in this economy, I do understand. Still a shame.GreySeal9

To be fair, you don't seem to have gotten anything more out of it than a piece of paper.

Oh snappity snap snap.

am i missing something? i was under the impression that zaviander (aka foxhound_fox) was a well liked user here? no?
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"]that list is a joke. communications is NOT a "loved degree" by employers. lmao. once i saw that i closed out. Communications is a poverty major.

Architecture student detected.

im actually computer science
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] To be fair, you don't seem to have gotten anything more out of it than a piece of paper.22Toothpicks

Oh snappity snap snap.

am i missing something? i was under the impression that zaviander (aka foxhound_fox) was a well liked user here? no?

He is becoming increasingly disliked. A lot feel he has changed for the worse over time
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#54 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

* Hugs CS degree *:P

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Who cares I'm gonna be famous

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"]that list is a joke. communications is NOT a "loved degree" by employers. lmao. once i saw that i closed out. Communications is a poverty major.

Architecture student detected.

rofl
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

It's sad that people go to school these days to get a piece of paper with their name on it rather than an education. But in this economy, I do understand. Still a shame.Zeviander
I think the problem is that people get joke degrees like phylosophy or art or englist and expect the same return as somebody with practical skills like a nurse or a computer scientist.

Here's reality "f*ck your dreams, if aren't going to school for business or science you might as well not go"

Yeah reality sucks but that doesn't change that it's reality.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

4 good industries :

Medical - Any kind of doctor, nurse, lab tech, xray tech, dentist, etc. Big money.

Accounting/Finance - You learn practical skill of how to keep the books, with the possibility of working in banking (they got the bailouts and bonuses)

IT - Anything to do with programming, networking, administration you name it.

Security - It's a post 9/11 era, every security apparatus receive large funding, the military is a good career, working for a private military contractor is even better, talking 120-140k driving trucks in Iraq. Even the poor guys working security here in the US, they got jobs paying $25-$35/hr for armed guard, and armored car crew.

Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

The more articles I read about architecture the happier I am I got a minor in Computer Science.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#62 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts
[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]that list is a joke. communications is NOT a "loved degree" by employers. lmao. once i saw that i closed out. Communications is a poverty major.

This is true. And I'm especially surprised because I've seen it land in "Top 10 Worst Degree" lists many times. It's pretty much lumped in there with Journalism and English. Most employers think, "You can write? Well, anybody can write, so why should I hire you above somebody who has other skills as well?"
TheSacredFlame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 TheSacredFlame
Member since 2011 • 324 Posts

[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]that list is a joke. communications is NOT a "loved degree" by employers. lmao. once i saw that i closed out. Communications is a poverty major.GamerForca
This is true. And I'm especially surprised because I've seen it land in "Top 10 Worst Degree" lists many times. It's pretty much lumped in there with Journalism and English. Most employers think, "You can write? Well, anybody can write, so why should I hire you above somebody who has other skills as well?"

I've always wondered why journalism was its own entity and not apart of the English major.

Anyways, these list always consist of art related majors or Philosophy getting bashed on.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]It's sad that people go to school these days to get a piece of paper with their name on it rather than an education. But in this economy, I do understand. Still a shame.chessmaster1989
To be fair, you don't seem to have gotten anything more out of it than a piece of paper.

damn, son!

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 GamerForca

I've always wondered why journalism was its own entity and not apart of the English major

TheSacredFlame
It's not really the same thing. Journalism teaches writing in such a way that a student can take information and make it succinct for a broad audience. There isn't much critical thinking involved, and the writing is technical. And of course, English students study and break down literature, from novels to plays and poetry, etc. English is steeped in history, philosophy, psychology, etc. There are other differences too, though I don't know enough about Journalism to get into them. I will say that English majors who add a minor like Professional Writing can do anything a Journalism major can do.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#66 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]It's sad that people go to school these days to get a piece of paper with their name on it rather than an education. But in this economy, I do understand. Still a shame.MakeMeaSammitch

I think the problem is that people get joke degrees like phylosophy or art or englist and expect the same return as somebody with practical skills like a nurse or a computer scientist.

Here's reality "f*ck your dreams, if aren't going to school for business or science you might as well not go"

Looks like you could use an elementary school education TBH.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#67 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"] To be fair, you don't seem to have gotten anything more out of it than a piece of paper.22Toothpicks

Oh snappity snap snap.

People are starting to dislike him now that he's gone full Randroid.

I don't have anything against him tho. I just recognize a burn when I see it, which is why I said "Oh snap."

zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]that list is a joke. communications is NOT a "loved degree" by employers. lmao. once i saw that i closed out. Communications is a poverty major.GamerForca

Do people even realize that with a communications degree you can get hired for a wide variety of jobs? Public Relation, Business, Advertising, Journalism, Media (With a communications degree you can even get hired for Game Design).

With the advent of social media, it's a hot degree to get. I already have a job for simply studying communications and being good at what I do.

Also check the statistics. Unemployment rate for communications graduates is quite low compared to most degrees.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
I'd rather look at earnings...... http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Degrees_that_Pay_you_Back-sort.html Conclusion math skills = $$$
Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

philosophy is not useless as long as it is on the more sociological side.

I can understand why pure philosophy can be unattractive.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Communications? That's such a BS major. I've taken some Comm courses and they were unbelievably easy. One of them was calling "Behaviors of Listening" and we only did in class quizzes where we watch a video for 5 minutes and then have to remember pieces of information. Why is that a class when a large portion of college requires one to listen to another talk (usually a professor) and then have to remember information (like on a test).
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"]that list is a joke. communications is NOT a "loved degree" by employers. lmao. once i saw that i closed out. Communications is a poverty major.zenogandia

Do people even realize that with a communications degree you can get hired for a wide variety of jobs? Public Relation, Business, Advertising, Journalism, Media (With a communications degree you can even get hired for Game Design).

With the advent of social media, it's a hot degree to get. I already have a job for simply studying communications and being good at what I do.

Also check the statistics. Unemployment rate for communications graduates is quite low compared to most degrees.

So basically they can become a professional bullsh1tters? I mean no profession requires more bullsh!ting than PR, media, or advertising.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Is anyone surprised?

Some degrees are just not meant for a lot of people, but for a special elite.

e5188893.png

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts
Well it does take like 8 administrators as a hospital to ask someone to do the job the 8 of them were supposed to do so I can see why they're in such demand.Ace6301
sounds a bit like project managers where i work.. :P
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
The Bachelor of Fine Arts degree can be a bit misleading. I know personally I have a BFA in Graphic Design and I'm happily employed, but at the same time I can see someone who might have a BFA in like, painting or ceramics having a much harder time landing a "real job" and would have to do work freelance or under commission.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

Link

I found this article's lack of faith disturbing. I understand Fine Arts and Philosophy being on this list, but I don't know why Architecture is on here. It's a useful skill/talent to have, but the fact that the economy is bad means it's hated? It does say that it shouldn't be a hated degree, but that most employers don't like it. If you're the head of a firm, then wouldn't you LIKE seeing it? Sure, you might not need somebody at the moment, but constant interest has to be uplifting.

Here's hoping your degree isn't on the losing end.

edgewalker16

haven't architects almost been entirely replaced by civil engineers?

I mean except for the more glamorous projects like Tapei 101 etc.

zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

[QUOTE="zenogandia"]

[QUOTE="GamerForca"] This is true. And I'm especially surprised because I've seen it land in "Top 10 Worst Degree" lists many times. It's pretty much lumped in there with Journalism and English. Most employers think, "You can write? Well, anybody can write, so why should I hire you above somebody who has other skills as well?" BPoole96

So basically they can become a professional bullsh1tters? I mean no profession requires more bullsh!ting than PR, media, or advertising.

Pretty much, but it still lands you a job. In my country PR people are needed by the hundreds, because bulls1it mountain is quite large here. And it pays quite well. I understand communications is an easy degree to get, but it's also one that will grant you a job in pretty much anything related to the communitions world. Films. Business, PR, Game industry, Media, Education, Television, Broadcast, Performing Arts, Politics **** mountain #1), and the list keeps going on.

Perhaps it will be worthless in 200 years, but for now it's a hot and easy degree to get.

GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

I made the right move choosing computer science.

I always hear people say for comp sci related jobs you often don't need a degree, just the knowledge. Going to school for computer science is a waste of money they say.

Well I've got an amazing paid internship lined up for me right now because the company that hired me was specifically looking for students currently enrolled in college that are computer science majors.

:P To all you nay-sayers. I couldn't have gotten this opportunity without my education.

mike21187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 mike21187
Member since 2004 • 47 Posts

[QUOTE="edgewalker16"]

Link

I found this article's lack of faith disturbing. I understand Fine Arts and Philosophy being on this list, but I don't know why Architecture is on here. It's a useful skill/talent to have, but the fact that the economy is bad means it's hated? It does say that it shouldn't be a hated degree, but that most employers don't like it. If you're the head of a firm, then wouldn't you LIKE seeing it? Sure, you might not need somebody at the moment, but constant interest has to be uplifting.

Storm_Marine

haven't architects almost been entirely replaced by civil engineers?

I mean except for the more glamorous projects like Tapei 101 etc.

I'm sorry but please learn what a civil engineer and an architect do in their respective fields before making such rhetorical statements again
Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Philosophy isn't useless... Jandurin
why are you getting a degree in how to read books shouldn't you have learned that in grade school

You are underestimating a philosophers ability to use language like a pretentious tit.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#81 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
I understand Fine Arts and Philosophy being on this list, but I don't know why Architecture is on here. It's a useful skill/talent to have, but the fact that the economy is bad means it's hated? It does say that it shouldn't be a hated degree, but that most employers don't like it. If you're the head of a firm, then wouldn't you LIKE seeing it? Sure, you might not need somebody at the moment, but constant interest has to be uplifting.

edgewalker16
If you don't need someone, if you don't plan on hiring them, whether you like them or hate them is absolutely meaningless. In the current economy the decreased demand and increased supply (the last few years tons of people went into architecture, which used to be one of the most popular and sought-after degrees) of architecture grads means they'll have a dreadful time trying to find a job.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 GamerForca

[QUOTE="GamerForca"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"]that list is a joke. communications is NOT a "loved degree" by employers. lmao. once i saw that i closed out. Communications is a poverty major.zenogandia

The statistics don't show much of a difference between Comm and Journalism/English majors. Not to mention you can get many (if not all) of the jobs you listed as an English/Journalism major. The real difference is that Comm is considered a lot easier than English (a bit easier than Journalism too), so you have a big advantage with a higher GPA out of college. (of course, if you're diligent in finding a job and a good worker, then you can certainly do well with any of these degrees. Any college degree is a lot better than none.)
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Philosophy isn't useless... Jandurin
why are you getting a degree in how to read books shouldn't you have learned that in grade school

lmao
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]It's sad that people go to school these days to get a piece of paper with their name on it rather than an education. But in this economy, I do understand. Still a shame.GreySeal9

Looks like you could use an elementary school education TBH.

I have a bachelors of science.

I'm a chemist too.....guess I got one of those practical degrees. Oh please cry about it btw

Phylosophy is a joke. No employer has any interest in that.

Here's reality, and I hope you wake up to it. Employers want skills, they want practical ability that they can use to make money for the company. That's why a BSN is wanted so badly or a degree in computer science is so sought after. They're practical. Employers can use it and employees with degrees and skills in it have something to offer.

The problem with the degrees I've mentioned have the same problem. They teach no usable, industry ready skills.

Reality can be hard to accept, but like I said. F*ck your dreams, f*ck everybody's dreams. The real world does not give 2 sh*ts what you want. The real world expects you to produce, and if you haven't learned anything marketable, you're screwed.

People with those joke degrees will only find themselves out alot of money and years behind others.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I'm a chemist too.....guess I got one of those practical degrees. Oh please cry about it btw

Here's reality, and I hope you wake up to it. Employers want skills, they want practical ability that they can use to make money for the company. That's why a BSN is wanted so badly or a degree in computer science is so sought after. They're practical. Employers can use it and employees with degrees and skills in it have something to offer.

The problem with the degrees I've mentioned have the same problem. They teach no usable, industry ready skills.

Reality can be hard to accept, but like I said. F*ck your dreams, f*ck everybody's dreams. The real world does not give 2 sh*ts what you want. The real world expects you to produce, and if you haven't learned anything marketable, you're screwed.

People with those joke degrees will only find themselves out alot of money and years behind others.

MakeMeaSammitch

This is a pretty cynical way of looking at it.

Sometimes, internships and connections matter more than a degree. And whatever degree you get, that shows employers that you have skills acquired from setting forth a goal and achieving it. Whatever degree you have means you did the work that was necessary of you and that's what a lot of them want. A Philosophy degree is good because it teaches critical thinking and there are jobs you can get with that. It's only people who don't go out and intern and make connections that get screwed over, regardless of their degree.

People expecting to make six figures straight out of University and without putting themselves out there are dreaming, regardless of degree.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 MakeMeaSammitch

Aljosa23

Sometimes, internships and connections matter more than a degree. And whatever degree you get, that shows employers that you have skills acquired from setting forth a goal and achieving it. Whatever degree you have means you did the work that was necessary of you and that's what a lot of them want. A Philosophy degree is good because it teaches critical thinking and there are jobs you can get with that. It's only people who don't go out and intern and make connections that get screwed over, regardless of their degree.

People expecting to make six figures straight out of University and without putting themselves out there are dreaming, regardless of degree.

inter ships produce skills, or at least show a willingness to work hard in fairness.

Employers would probably just laugh seeing a philosophy degree apply when there are plenty of better degrees in a mediocre economy, and employers will still seek out skills first and for most.

THe real world sucks at times. There's not much more to it.

side note, I think alot of worthless degrees have been attained in the last few years because society has been telling people you just need a degree to succeed, you should enjoy what you do, you will get a job if you get a degree, as well as a push for everybody to go to school when only brighter people should be going to be honest.

I think these attitudes have spawned hipsters and the occupy movement unfortunately, and it's not even those people's faults.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

Thing is though, if you just wanted money, a real estate selling license is probably a better method than any degree. I've considered hanging up the lab coat and chasing that dollar in sales.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#88 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

This essentially is saying "Pick a super middle of the road degree that can apply to anything". AKA, business and engineering. How uninspiring.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="Allicrombie"]its the typical, "we dont need artists and philosophers and creative thinkers," BS that ends up in almost every career oriented subjective list based article.airshocker

Unemployment numbers kind of speak for themselves, Alli.

Meh, go to a top school and you'll have better odds of getting a job regardless of what your degree is. The networking alone that's available is enough to make a difference.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="zenogandia"]

[QUOTE="GamerForca"] This is true. And I'm especially surprised because I've seen it land in "Top 10 Worst Degree" lists many times. It's pretty much lumped in there with Journalism and English. Most employers think, "You can write? Well, anybody can write, so why should I hire you above somebody who has other skills as well?" GamerForca

The statistics don't show much of a difference between Comm and Journalism/English majors. Not to mention you can get many (if not all) of the jobs you listed as an English/Journalism major. The real difference is that Comm is considered a lot easier than English (a bit easier than Journalism too), so you have a big advantage with a higher GPA out of college. (of course, if you're diligent in finding a job and a good worker, then you can certainly do well with any of these degrees. Any college degree is a lot better than none.)

Yeah...I know quite a few people with English degrees, and it doesn't seem like that bad of a degree. People always get stuck on you having to go into the field you got your degree in, but that's not always how things work.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

MakeMeaSammitch

inter ships produce skills, or at least show a willingness to work hard in fairness.

Employers would probably just laugh seeing a philosophy degree apply when there are plenty of better degrees in a mediocre economy, and employers will still seek out skills first and for most.

side note, I think alot of worthless degrees have been attained in the last few years because society has been telling people you just need a degree to succeed, you should enjoy what you do, you will get a job if you get a degree, as well as a push for everybody to go to school when only brighter people should be going to be honest.

I think these attitudes have spawned hipsters and the occupy movement unfortunately, and it's not even those people's faults.

Some people will be successful no matter what degree they get, and for others it's just the opposite. Some may only be able to succeed if they get a marketable degree-if for instance, they don't have the charisma, work ethic, talent etc. to do it on their own. Many people get caught up in statistics and degrees without realizing how individualized every situation is.

Amusingly enough, if everyone went out and got these "productive" and "practical" degrees, they would immediately become far less productive and sought after, since the market would be oversaturated. We need people with different skill sets, interests, and passions to thrive as a community. To think otherwise is simply naive.

I'm happy you got a degree where you can do well, because based on your responses in this thread, your communication skills are subpar.

wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
What is so hard about getting a health administration or communications degree? Architecture takes far more skill, but demand is demand
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]This is a pretty cynical way of looking at it.

TacticalDesire

Some people will be successful no matter what degree they get, and for others it's just the opposite. Some may only be able to succeed if they get a marketable degree-if for instance, they don't have the charisma, work ethic, talent etc. to do it on their own. Many people get caught up in statistics and degrees without realizing how individualized every situation is.

Amusingly enough, if everyone went out and got these "productive" and "practical" degrees, they would immediately become far less productive and sought after, since the market would be oversaturated. We need people with different skill sets, interests, and passions to thrive as a community. To think otherwise is simply naive.

I'm happy you got a degree where you can do well, because based on your responses in this thread, your communication skills are subpar.

the first paragraph really doesn;t change what I've said. Certain skills aren't usable in the real world. Not that some people will or won't succeed, but some degrees help with success and some don't.

THing thing about the practical degrees is that they're hard. I remember people complaining about entry level engineering courses and how hard they were, but in reality, they were nothing compared to later courses in difficulty. Just a means of weeding out the lazy/less intelligent. I don't think everybody should go to college period. I think alot of people simply lack the intelligence, talent, work ethic that college requires. I think they'd be better learning a good skill. Like welding for instance. But getting certain degrees are of no real use at all, they're just a waste of time and money that could be used to learn a skill or on a useful area of study; setting people way back in their lives.

on english....good thing it doesn't matter in the real world. Somebody else wrote my cover letter, somebody else wrote my resume, and nobody at my work gives a crap about my writing skills so long as I produce data and mix chemicals. Real world. Let me be clear though, when I produce, I don't have to actually write anything but numbers and an explaination. It works well.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]inter ships produce skills, or at least show a willingness to work hard in fairness.

MakeMeaSammitch

the first paragraph really doesn;t change what I've said. Certain skills aren't usable in the real world. Not that some people will or won't succeed, but some degrees help with success and some don't.

THing thing about the practical degrees is that they're hard. I remember people complaining about entry level engineering courses and how hard they were, but in reality, they were nothing compared to later courses in difficulty. Just a means of weeding out the lazy/less intelligent. I don't think everybody should go to college period. I think alot of people simply lack the intelligence, talent, work ethic that college requires. I think they'd be better learning a good skill. Like welding for instance. But getting certain degrees are of no real use at all, they're just a waste of time and money that could be used to learn a skill or on a useful area of study; setting people way back in their lives.

on english....good thing it doesn't matter in the real world. Somebody else wrote my cover letter, somebody else wrote my resume, and nobody at my work gives a crap about my writing skills so long as I produce data and mix chemicals. Real world. Let me be clear though, when I produce, I don't have to actually write anything but numbers and an explaination. It works well.

Well, it's good that you've found your niche, where you do a lot of something I imagine you're good at: working with chemicals/numbers, and little of what you're not as good at. That's all we can really ask of people though - to find their niche.

Clearly English does matter in the real world though, because you got someone else to write your cover letter and resume. If it truly didn't matter, you'd have done it yourself, poor skills and all.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

TacticalDesire

Well, it's good that you've found your niche, where you do a lot of something I imagine you're good at: working with chemicals/numbers, and little of what you're not as good at. That's all we can really ask of people though - to find their niche.

Clearly English does matter in the real world though, because you got someone else to write your cover letter and resume. If it truly didn't matter, you'd have done it yourself, poor skills and all.

and the person who wrote it didn't have a degree at all.

i.e. an english degree is useless.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]the first paragraph really doesn;t change what I've said. Certain skills aren't usable in the real world. Not that some people will or won't succeed, but some degrees help with success and some don't.

MakeMeaSammitch

Well, now you're just flat out wrong.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

TacticalDesire

It would be more useful to just not go to college. Learn a useful skill or skill at a tradeschool or job and save that money.

English is a worthless degree. "0h you can read? so can everybody else"

employers want useful skills, not somebody who's claim to fame is reading alot.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]and the person who wrote it didn't have a degree at all.

MakeMeaSammitch

It would be more useful to just not go to college. Learn a useful skill or skill at a tradeschool or job and save that money.

employers want useful skills, not somebody who's claim to fame is reading alot.

Good luck being an editor, publicist or a journalist without at least some post secondary English studies.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
Well I'm 3 semesters away from one of those computer science degrees. inb4 I'm unemployed.
GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 GamerForca

employers want useful skills, not somebody who's claim to fame is reading alot.MakeMeaSammitch

I got my Master's Degree after majoring in English and have a good teaching job while I work on my PhD. One of my best friends from college majored in English and established a law firm that, last I heard, is doing well. It wasn't more useful for either of us to "just not go to college." That's just wrong. Especially when you see the unemployment rate of recent high school graduates (by the way, the answer to the title of the second link is under the first pic and directly refutes what you said). English unemployment = 6.7%, only high school degree = 22.9%.