Top 5 horror movies of all time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

What is your favorite horror movie?

Well, to be fair, i like horror movies, but i never seen any scary horror movie EVER.

Anyway, here are my 5 top favorite horror movies:

1. The THING

picture sharing

Perfect. So many people, and some one is infected, but nobody really knows who. The Thing kills 1 by 1. Think of having 20 people group, and you can´t trust nobody, and some how the thing kills everyone 1 by 1. Nobody really survives. You can´t escape, you can´t survive. PERFECT!

2. Alien

free image hosting

Even tho opening is slow, it´s classic. It´s dark, original, and i love that it takes place in big ship in space. 

3. Aliens

picture share

Well, it´s not that horror, more about action, but it´s awesome. Again, soliders are trapped, and they do anything to survive Aliens attack.

4. 28 Weeks Later

free image hosting

I perfer 28 Weeks Later over 28 Days Later.

I like 28 Days Later, but i hate second part. First 1hr is great(again, in london, outside), but after they get picked up by army, then it goes downhill, turns into boring crap. Also, guy has superpowers? He just kill soliders without any weapons. Also, how soliders can be so dumb. 

Anyway, 28 Weeks Later had more action, more zombies, more of surviving thing. 

5. Dawn of Dead - 2004

upload image online free

I watched original version, and it was truly boring. Few zombies, ultra slow zombies... no threat at all. Also, only 4 people? They did nothing to survive becuase it was too easy to survive. In 2004 version, there are so many zombies, they run, and again people try to survive.

I don´t like slow zombies, BORING. I don´t like horror/zombie movies where bite does not infect you. It´s just too boring.

Also, i love movies where there are at least 6 or more humans who try to survive and all of them/most dies. I hate horror movies where has only 1-3 people, and only 1-2 die, or none of them really die... Those movies are boring for me. 

Boring horror movies are for example: The Ring, The Cabin in the Woods(really? This is more like video game... first 30 min were okay, but then it went downhill.. Also... there are people playing with other people... meh... no horror at all), The Exorcist, The Shining, and kinda type of movies where we see ghost in house... comon. Bullshit.

So, whats yours?

delol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 delol
Member since 2005 • 8793 Posts

I am an old fashion guy so i will choose the black and white Hollywood movies such as Frankenstein starring Boris Karloff

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#3 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

It's tough limiting it down to 5. In no particular order... 

• The Shining (original)
  • The Thing (original)
  • Evil Dead 2 
  • Audition
  • Repulsion

Damn you for making me choose.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

1- the thing
2-let's scare jessica to death
3-may
4-V/H/S 2 (safe heaven episode) if that counts.
5-slit-mouth woman

Avatar image for Zombiekiller360
Zombiekiller360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Zombiekiller360
Member since 2006 • 389 Posts

In no particular order

Alien

Halloween

Blair Witch

28 days later

Texas Chainsaw Masscre

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

While I like most of the films in the op's top five, he has terrible taste. 28 Weeks Later was garbage. There was nothing original about it, no new ideas, and compared to the minor plot contrivances of the first one, Robert Carlyle's omnipresent bad guy zombie character stretched plausibility pretty thin. "Days" had some new and unique ideas at the time. "Weeks" was just another average zombie film. The only thing it had going for it was a much larger budget, which tends to fool some people into thinking it's a better movie. If that's your cup of tea, then go watch Avatar.

Films like The Ring, The Shining, Insidious, and most ghost movies rely on the imagination of the viewer. They are the Silent Hill (referring to the video game series) of horror films whereas the more typical "horror" films that rely on over-the-top special effects and creative monster design to fill that gap for people who have little to no imagination. These are the "Resident Evil" (again, the game series) of horror films.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Byshop  Moderator

It's tough limiting it down to 5. In no particular order...

• The Shining (original)
  • The Thing (original)
  • Evil Dead 2
  • Audition
  • Repulsion

Damn you for making me choose.

Master_ShakeXXX

I don't think you mean the "original" version of "The Thing". I'm guessing you mean the John Carpenter version.

-Byshop

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

nosferatu (1922): there's really very little in the way of violence, but the vampire is depicted so well that you never really feel settled once the film gets rolling. early scenes are comical, but they chill an already distant film as they set up the predator/prey relationship. however, the vampire then ranges from ominous to terrible in his wrath to pure evil.

alien: i love this movie. i love that the horror from the monster isn't from any nefarious intentions or bad upbringing. it's simply going through its life cycle. along the way, the film taps into some of our most primal and farreaching fears, making for delicious pop filmmaking.

henry: portrait of a serial killer: there are no genre hooks here. the horror comes from a detailed depiction of a broken human being. just when you think it's jumping off the deep end, the movie reels itself back in with one of the most unsettling endings i've ever seen.

the fly (1986): sure, it can be gross and cold. however, what makes it great is that there is believable relationship and heartwrenching parting of ways at it's core. more than gross out moments, it's about the loss that comes with change.

28 days later: it was tough to pick just one last movie, but i might was well add this one. perhaps there are other horror movies i like more, but this one seems an appropriate mention in a genre thread because its a zombie movie for people who hate a lot of things about zombie movies (and no, i don't care that some people don't qualify the monsters here as zombies. that fandom is another thing a hate about zombie movies :P ). the zombies are an actually physical threat to people who aren't in terrible shape. there's even a poke at that cliche "what would you do if one of your companions got infected?" scenario that happens in every zombie movie. the infected guy gets a machete to his face before he can say "please..."

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

(note sorry for spelling errors I am too lazy to correct them tonight).

5th - Dawn of the Dead remake. I watched the original before the remake, but never thought much of it as it jumped the shark for me the moments a group of bikers started to dance with zombies, I realised how little of a threat they were and the whole intensity factor failed. The remake is fantastic, notice how it's opening was borried in Last of Us and one or two other movies of recent.

4 - The Strangers. This one took me by surprise. I watched it as I was looking forward to the film Midnight Meat Train, which is based of a short story from the Books of Blood by Cliver Barker, one of the best compilations of short horror stories ever. Anyway, clive was upset that the spotlght shown more onto Wes Cravens "The Strangers" As much as I love Clive, strangers delivered so much better,

3 - The Thing. Seen it lots, loves it. I talked too much of it in the past I can't be bothered. It's all about the setting and the mood and the memories of watching it for the first time when I was like 6.

2 - The Hills have Eyes (remake) - A great blend of modern and classic horror. A bit of doom, hardcore horror, unlikely hero and unrelenting. Perfect imo.

1 - (unknown title) When I was about 10 -11 years old I got up in the middle of the night to sit downstairs with my dad who always watched movies late at night. I watched something I shouldn't have, about a group of guys who got lost in some vast American no mans land. I can remember being tranfixed to it, but my memory is very vauge. It was about some kind of alien encounter, but done very suptle. It was a bit like The Thing, as in it replaced members of the group without anyone knowing. A lot of the horror happened offscreen which is probably what made it so effective. I remember the party getting smaller as the film goes on, with it's survivers knowing that one of their friends can turn against them but they have no chocie but to go with it. It was very much a film of trying to find hope in situation of sheer hopelessness, watching the film gave you that same kind of mood. Is the whole reason you watch horrors for, to experiance a mood, a type of atmosphere.

Shame I never knew the name of that movie it was a bit offbeat.

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

Susperia, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original Evil Dead, The Shining, John Carpenters The Fog, The Exorcist...thats 6 

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

No Nightmare on Elm St fans eh?   I watched them when I was really young so they did a great job of scaring the crap outta me.  

derrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 derrange
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
The Thing Alien Nightmare on Elm st. Night of the living dead 28 days later that was hard..
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
This is hard... Not in any order Nightmare on Elm Street 1,3,4 The Evil Dead Halloween Alien Event Horizon
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
  • Repulsion
  • The Innocents
  • The Orphanage
  • The Shining 
  • The Thing 
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Apparently, TC completely missed the point of Cabin in the Woods.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

Insidious(scariest movie ive seen thus far)

Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Signs(first scary movie i ever watched. scared the shit outta me)

and my minds pulling a blank. i dont watch too many horror movies.

oh Paranormal Activity creeped me out pretty good.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Byshop  Moderator

Apparently, TC completely missed the point of Cabin in the Woods.chessmaster1989

Like I said. No taste and no imagination.

-Byshop

Avatar image for RedEyedMonster8
RedEyedMonster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RedEyedMonster8
Member since 2007 • 1348 Posts

Susperia, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the original Evil Dead, The Shining, John Carpenters The Fog, The Exorcist...thats 6 

Videodogg

Nice list.

Mine is:

The Shining

Suspiria

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Exorcist

Dawn of the Dead and The Evil Dead (yes this is cheating, but don't make me choose between them damn you!)

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

[QUOTE="Videodogg"]

RedEyedMonster8

Nice list.

Mine is:

The Shining

Suspiria

The Exorcist

Dawn of the Dead and The Evil Dead (yes this is cheating, but don't make me choose between them damn you!)

..there are so many more; The Omen ( original ), Carrie, Rosemary's Baby, Cronenbergs The Fly, The Brood, The Changling, Cujo, Pet Semetary, Nightmare on Elm Street ( original), The Haunting ( original ), Hellraiser, the original Frankenstein, Night of the Living Dead,
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FreedomFreeLife

While I like most of the films in the op's top five, he has terrible taste. 28 Weeks Later was garbage. There was nothing original about it, no new ideas, and compared to the minor plot contrivances of the first one, Robert Carlyle's omnipresent bad guy zombie character stretched plausibility pretty thin. "Days" had some new and unique ideas at the time. "Weeks" was just another average zombie film. The only thing it had going for it was a much larger budget, which tends to fool some people into thinking it's a better movie. If that's your cup of tea, then go watch Avatar.

Films like The Ring, The Shining, Insidious, and most ghost movies rely on the imagination of the viewer. They are the Silent Hill (referring to the video game series) of horror films whereas the more typical "horror" films that rely on over-the-top special effects and creative monster design to fill that gap for people who have little to no imagination. These are the "Resident Evil" (again, the game series) of horror films.

-Byshop

Byshop

Yeah sure like you know what is best, and everyone are are idiots and fools.

Days was also avarage zombie film, there are so many movies where infection has out, and then there are only few survivors...

" rely on the imagination of the viewer " - hahahaha... nobody dies... nothing going on... no horror... no darkness... nothing. 

The Ring is worst movie ever. This was so crap movie. ZZZzZZ...

You have bad taste.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

-Byshop

Byshop
Agreed about Days/Weeks. Though the opening scene in weeks was pretty damn intense.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

No particular order:

Paranormal Activity

The Strangers

Halloween

The Loved Ones

The Evil Dead

RedEyedMonster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RedEyedMonster8

[QUOTE="RedEyedMonster8"]

[QUOTE="Videodogg"]

Videodogg

Nice list.

Mine is:

The Shining

Suspiria

The Exorcist

..there are so many more; The Omen ( original ), Carrie, Rosemary's Baby, Cronenbergs The Fly, The Brood, The Changling, Cujo, Pet Semetary, Nightmare on Elm Street ( original), The Haunting ( original ), Hellraiser, the original Frankenstein, Night of the Living Dead,

Oh dude, don't even get me started, I've seen almost all those. We'll be here all day.....

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I agree with the list. I'm a big fan of 'The Thing' and 'Aliens'. I've also recently seen 'Dawn of the Dead' for the first time and I was stunned with such a beautiful movie.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Insidious(scariest movie ive seen thus far)

Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Signs(first scary movie i ever watched. scared the shit outta me)

and my minds pulling a blank. i dont watch too many horror movies.

oh Paranormal Activity creeped me out pretty good.

konvikt_17

If you liked Insidious and thought it was scary you MUST see The Conjuring!

I love Insidious, but The Conjuring makes it look like childs play in comparison. Such a damn scary movie!

Anyways, my issue with making such a list is that I love both "scary" horror and horror "comedies" so it is hard for me to make a list including both types as I feel the are very different styles of movies.

I'll do two separate lists I suppose.

Scary horror:

5) Insidious (Was really surprised by how much I ended up liking this movie. The scares are great and I see it as the beginning of Wan's learning how to master suspense)

4) Sinister (Here we have a horror movie that is well-acted and puts actual emphasis on being more atmospheric and disturbing than dumping buckets of blood)

3) The Descent (A very unique premise that really makes for a great horror movie. Could not imagine cave diving in real life. Such a scary activity IMO)

2) The Thing (The paranoia the film presents is excellent and I also LOVE the special effects. The way they did the creatures will never be topped IMO)

1) The Conjuring (easily the scariest damn movie I have ever seen. The atmosphere is just so freaking perfect in this movie!)

Horror comedy:

5) You're Next (I list this as horror comedy as it has alot more "awesome" than scary in it. The movie is so brutal in a good way, has possibly the best kill I have seen in a movie, and easily has the most badass movie heroine I have ever seen. Those positives outweight the absolutely AWFUL acting contained in the movie...)

4) Dead Alive (Holy crap there are some incredibly messed up but hilarious scenes in this movie. Peter Jackson was so off the wall back in the day)

3) Trick R' Treat (I list this as horror comedy granted it switches between comedy and seriousness. The movie embodies Halloween perfectly and might be the best straight to DVD movie ever made)

2) Evil Dead 2 (The cornerstone of horror comedy IMO. Really see this as the grandfather of the genre and it got that status for a reason. Soooo funny!)

1) Cabin in the Woods (The trailers didn't have me interested at first, but after reading reviews and seeing what the movie was about, I went and saw it and it was AWESOME!)

KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Night of the Living Dead, Demons 2, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2nd also), Hellraiser 2, and Horror Express
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

Yeah sure like you know what is best, and everyone are are idiots and fools.

Days was also avarage zombie film, there are so many movies where infection has out, and then there are only few survivors...

" rely on the imagination of the viewer " - hahahaha... nobody dies... nothing going on... no horror... no darkness... nothing.

The Ring is worst movie ever. This was so crap movie. ZZZzZZ...

You have bad taste.

FreedomFreeLife

Not everyone, just you. Most people (for example) know how to spell the word "average". What are you? 12?

-Byshop

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#28 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I suppose Alien and Aliens would top my list, though I've seen them sooooo many times that they bore me now.  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake with Jessica Biel managed to make me feel very tense throughout almost the entire movie, so that deserves a mention.  Other than those nothing really stands so head-and-shoulders above the rest that it automatically goes on the list.  I suppose I could say The Keep and Quatermass and the Pit, but those could change to any of 20 other movies depending on what mood I'm in on a certain day.

lostfan132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostfan132
Member since 2010 • 1078 Posts

1. The Shining

2. Jacob's Ladder

3. Nightmare on Elm Street

4. Blair Witch Project

5. Rosemary's Baby

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
No [REC] is an instant fail list.
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
-The Last Airbender
RedEyedMonster8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RedEyedMonster8

No [REC] is an instant fail list.foxhound_fox

Hell yeah man, [REC] was awesome.

FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FreedomFreeLife

No [REC] is an instant fail list.foxhound_fox
Well, problem was that first 90 min nothing really happened, and then horror began in last 10 min which was awesome, but comon... first 90 min is boring.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

1. Jaws
2. The Thing
3. Alien
4. The Shining
5. Nosferatu 

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]No [REC] is an instant fail list.FreedomFreeLife

Well, problem was that first 90 min nothing really happened, and then horror began in last 10 min which was awesome, but comon... first 90 min is boring.

So the action didn't start until 12 minutes after the movie ended (seeing as how the film is only 78 minutes long)? :roll: I'm starting to doubt that you've even watched some of these movies. What kind of ADD/Ritalin addict are you that you need a decapitation every 5 minutes or you get bored?

You have Alien in your top 5 list. The Facehugger didn't show up until 30 minutes in and the Alien didn't show up until 40 minutes in. By comparison, [REC] was actually a pretty action heavy movie, so I have to ask: What the hell are you even talking about?

-Byshop

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
whats scarier than a guy who gets you in your sleep?
Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
Kindering
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Byshop  Moderator

I don't have a "top 5" list because favorites are an oversimplification but here are some honorable mentions:

Alien
Insidious (one of the best ghost movies I'd seen in years)
Audition
[REC] and to a lesser extent [REC2], but not [REC3] and definately not any of the US remakes
Pontypool
Juon
The Shining
28 Days Later
The Descent (original UK version, not the edited US version)
Blair Witch (not the first "found footage" films but it helped start the genre)

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Byshop  Moderator

Agreed about Days/Weeks. Though the opening scene in weeks was pretty damn intense.PernicioEnigma

Yeah, it had some great moments. One of the reasons it was so dissapointing it because it had such great promise and a good cast.

-Byshop

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LostProphetFLCL

I don't have a "top 5" list because favorites are an oversimplification but here are some honorable mentions:

Alien
Audition
[REC] and to a lesser extent [REC2], but not [REC3] and definately not any of the US remakes
Pontypool
Juon
The Shining
28 Days Later

-Byshop

Byshop

I am curious, have you seen The Conjuring?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Byshop  Moderator

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

Alien
Audition
Pontypool
Juon
The Shining
28 Days Later

-Byshop

LostProphetFLCL

Yes, and I thought it was pretty good. Certainly one of the best ghost movies that's come out in the last few years.

For me, horror movies kind of fall into a few main categories. My absolute favorite horror movies are the ones that truly scare me. Movies where I feel real anxiety from watching them are awesome. The original Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days, The Descent, and most recently Insidious (I jumped so many times during that movie that I started laughing out loud each time like 'damn, it got me again!'). The Conjuring was pretty scary but it didn't have that hopelessness and feeling of pure dread that you get with something like a Japanese horror movie. Movies that I'd say are similar to, although not as good as The Conjuring were films like Sinister and Mama.

Another category of horror movie would be the horror themed films that are entertaining and have good stories even if they aren't the scariest films I've ever seen. Films like The Orphanage, The Haunting (the recent UK film remeniscent of The Orphanage), both VHS movies, The Last Exorcism (my favorite "found footage" horror movie), and others like that. These movies didn't really -scare- me that badly, but they were still excellent movies that I'd highly recommend.

For me, The Conjuring fell somewhere between these two areas. Good film, good story but the really creepy horror aspects kinda fizzled after the first half. A good horror film relies as much on what you don't see as what you see, and once you get into full on exorcism mode then you lose some of that tension.

-Byshop

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

Alien
Audition
Pontypool
Juon
The Shining
28 Days Later

-Byshop

Byshop

Yes, and I thought it was pretty good. Certainly one of the best ghost movies that's come out in the last few years.

For me, horror movies kind of fall into a few main categories. My absolute favorite horror movies are the ones that truly scare me. Movies where I feel real anxiety from watching them are awesome. The original Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days, The Descent, and most recently Insidious (I jumped so many times during that movie that I started laughing out loud each time like 'damn, it got me again!'). The Conjuring was pretty scary but it didn't have that hopelessness and feeling of pure dread that you get with something like a Japanese horror movie. Movies that I'd say are similar to, although not as good as The Conjuring were films like Sinister and Mama.

Another category of horror movie would be the horror themed films that are entertaining and have good stories even if they aren't the scariest films I've ever seen. Films like The Orphanage, The Haunting (the recent UK film remeniscent of The Orphanage), both VHS movies, The Last Exorcism (my favorite "found footage" horror movie), and others like that. These movies didn't really -scare- me that badly, but they were still excellent movies that I'd highly recommend.

For me, The Conjuring fell somewhere between these two areas. Good film, good story but the really creepy horror aspects kinda fizzled after the first half. A good horror film relies as much on what you don't see as what you see, and once you get into full on exorcism mode then you lose some of that tension.

-Byshop

The exorcism part was disappointing with how strong the rest of the movie was before it. I absolutely LOVE the rest of the movie right up till that. ( and in fact the scene that happens right before the whole finale begins is one of the stronger scenes in the movie IMO.

Personally, I have never been scared by a movie like I was with The Conjuring. I was in tense suspense the whole time (I had been VERY hyped for the movie) and my heart was pounding so bad that after seeing it a second time I realized that time had actually been going by slower in my perception when I had seen it the first time. I actually had remember the best scares as having taken longer than they did to happen.

But yeah, seeing The Conjuring on opening night is easily the best horror movie experienc I have ever had and one of the best movie experiences in general that I have ever had. I never get scared like that by movies!

And I understand what you mean about the different types of horror movies. I prefer just to simply separate between horror and horror comedy. Stuff like Evil Dead 2 and You're Next aren't scary but end up being both funny and awesome making them very much wiorth the watch.

I would put 28 Days in the awesome category, not the scary category. Love that movie but it didn't scare me at all.

BTW I think it is interesting that Insidious scared you so much but The Conjuring didn't. Insidious creeped and scared me pretty well but after seeing The Conjuring it seems much tamer in comparison. Good God that wardrobe scene was soooo good! Also, the maid scene made my Mom scream in the theater when I went and saw it with her (which was the second time I had seen it). :lol:

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#43 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

the shining

alien

aliens

evil dead

evil dead -2013

fright night

fright night -remake

the fog

the thing -1982

prometheus

hostel

the hitcher

halloween - rob zombie

texas chainsaw massacre - remake

the hills have eyes - remake

texas chainsaw massacre -2006

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#44 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts
  1. Halloween (the original, of course)
  2. Rosemary's Baby
  3. Nosferatu
  4. Carnival of Souls
  5. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the 70s remake)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Byshop  Moderator

The exorcism part was disappointing with how strong the rest of the movie was before it. I absolutely LOVE the rest of the movie right up till that. ( and in fact the scene that happens right before the whole finale begins is one of the stronger scenes in the movie IMO.

Personally, I have never been scared by a movie like I was with The Conjuring. I was in tense suspense the whole time (I had been VERY hyped for the movie) and my heart was pounding so bad that after seeing it a second time I realized that time had actually been going by slower in my perception when I had seen it the first time. I actually had remember the best scares as having taken longer than they did to happen.

But yeah, seeing The Conjuring on opening night is easily the best horror movie experienc I have ever had and one of the best movie experiences in general that I have ever had. I never get scared like that by movies!

And I understand what you mean about the different types of horror movies. I prefer just to simply separate between horror and horror comedy. Stuff like Evil Dead 2 and You're Next aren't scary but end up being both funny and awesome making them very much wiorth the watch.

I would put 28 Days in the awesome category, not the scary category. Love that movie but it didn't scare me at all.

BTW I think it is interesting that Insidious scared you so much but The Conjuring didn't. Insidious creeped and scared me pretty well but after seeing The Conjuring it seems much tamer in comparison. Good God that wardrobe scene was soooo good! Also, the maid scene made my Mom scream in the theater when I went and saw it with her (which was the second time I had seen it). :lol:

LostProphetFLCL

Yeah, since it's an emotional reaction it'll always be an individualized thing. Personally, I find the not knowing more scary than the knowing. When the Warrens show up and start explaining things the movie got a little bit less scary for me, and then it almost completely ceased to be scary by the time the exorcism rolled around. With Insidious, although it started to lose credibility towards the end it held that tension for me longer than The Conjuring did and I found the jump moments to be a lot more effective. There were only one or two really good jump moments for me in The Conjuring. Jump moments alone don't make a movie scary, obviously, but the more times I get startled like that is a strong indication of how tense the movie is for me overall.

But like I said, there's no "right" answer. Some movies will always be more effective for some people than others based on their own personal experiences and what does and doesn't strike a chord with them. While "Buried" with Ryan Reynolds isn't a horror movie, it's tense as hell and would probably cause more anxiety for a clausterphobic person than any actual horror movie.

-Byshop

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts
Incredibly tough choice, but if I had to narrow it down to five. 1. The Shining 2. The Exorcist 3. Alien 4. Psycho 5. The Thing