Tom Cruise: "My Job's As Hard As fighting in Afghanistan"

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#1 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/08/tom-cruise-suri-lawsuit-deposition-afghanistan-war-olympics/

OT's thoughts on this deluded comment?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

I think he should go and fight and then get back to us.....

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

lol

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

i blame scientology =P

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

It must be, he sucks at it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#6 AvatarMan96
Member since 2010 • 7324 Posts

I like Cruise as an actor, but what the heck is he talking about?

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

That Scientology has a hold on him:-P

That comment is an insult to the men and women in the middle east.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

That reminds me of that NFL player that said it's easy to be an infantryman. Low and behold, that NFL player got bashed but for the right reasons.

I respect Tom Cruise as an actor but he made a very dumb statement.

Hiddai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#9 Hiddai
Member since 2004 • 6117 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

I think he should go and fight and then get back to us.....

QFT

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Saying this on Veterans' Day weekend of all days probably wasn't the smartest thing for him to do.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

In the article he said it was like serving a tour in Afghanistan, not fighting in Afghanistan. There is a small difference, especially when you consider a crybaby like Bradley Manning served a tour in Iraq and sat behind a desk but he didn't actually fight like some of the men who went on patrols on a regular basis and took contact.

Of course, his comment was still in very bad taste. I doubt that it will affect his business that much considering the growing amount of people out there who are anti-military now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

That Scientology has a hold on him:-P

That comment is an insult to the men and women in the middle east.

I don't think scientology lead him to insanity. I think insanity lead him to scientology.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

Maybe he thought Mission: Impossible was real.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

This is far from the first time he's made crazy statements. He once described psychiatry as a "quasi-science"

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

wat

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Gaming_Baby said:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/08/tom-cruise-suri-lawsuit-deposition-afghanistan-war-olympics/

OT's thoughts on this deluded comment?

He might be a good actor but as someone who have served in the military tho going to Iraq, his comments are a mockery and shows how stupid he really is.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@huggybear1020 said:

This is far from the first time he's made crazy statements. He once described psychiatry as a "quasi-science"

And then there was that time he proclaimed his love for Katie Holmes. . .

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

To be fair, thousands and thousands of people are capable of serving a tour of duty in Iraq, seeing as how thousands have actually done that. By contrast, there are very few in the world who are capable of doing Tom Cruise's job.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

@MrGeezer: I bet they could if they got paid what he does, and I doubt the egotistic asshat that is Tom Cruise would put his life at risk for a soldiers paycheck.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrGeezer

@iwilson1296 said:

@MrGeezer: I bet they could if they got paid what he does

But they're not gonna get paid what he does because they can't do what he does.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

He's eccentric, so I'm not surprised by this statement.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#22 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

He so silly.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#23 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Have you seen the man run?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

@MrGeezer: only thing he has is his looks

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrGeezer

@iwilson1296 said:

@MrGeezer: only thing he has is his looks

I'm pretty sure that he also has decades of experience in his field of work.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

To be fair, thousands and thousands of people are capable of serving a tour of duty in Iraq, seeing as how thousands have actually done that. By contrast, there are very few in the world who are capable of doing Tom Cruise's job.

You are confusing capability with will. Just because somebody is capable of doing something (enlisting) doesn't mean they will actually do it. If they don't do it why should we credit them simply because they could? Do you credit people who don't join the Peace Corps simply because they are able to even though they didn't follow through?

Cruise is a talented actor and can do roles that others can't. However, when it comes down to it his acting skills aren't vital to national security (in b4 troops don't defend freedom and only fight for the one percent). If he didn't make it he would have most likely found something else to make a living off of and others would have took his roles.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer

@ad1x2 said:

@MrGeezer said:

You are confusing capability with will. Just because somebody is capable of doing something (enlisting) doesn't mean they will actually do it. If they don't do it why should we credit them simply because they could? Do you credit people who don't join the Peace Corps simply because they are able to even though they didn't follow through?

Cruise is a talented actor and can do roles that others can't. However, when it comes down to it his acting skills aren't vital to national security (in b4 troops don't defend freedom and only fight for the one percent). If he didn't make it he would have most likely found something else to make a living off of and others would have took his roles.

That goes both ways, dude. People here are acting as if Tom Cruise's job is just that easy and anyone can do it, but what you've said applies to him as well. You don't get credit until you've actually done it, and there have been more people serving tours in Iraq than there have been Tom Cruises.

And what does being vital to national security have to do with anything? The topic was about how HARD the job is.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6821 Posts

I think it's a bit of an exaggerated statement when coming from Tom Cruise, but I do believe some productions have made actors go through experiences that I imagine are about as tough as fighting in a war.

The Evil Dead is a notorious example.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#29 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

All that running must be hard for him.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

@MrGeezer said:

@ad1x2 said:

@MrGeezer said:

That goes both ways, dude. People here are acting as if Tom Cruise's job is just that easy and anyone can do it, but what you've said applies to him as well. You don't get credit until you've actually done it, and there have been more people serving tours in Iraq than there have been Tom Cruises.

And what does being vital to national security have to do with anything? The topic was about how HARD the job is.

Eh.....a lot of people do act. And Cruise almost always plays the same character.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Self-righteous ****. I don't blame him, he's a nobody that found himself made into an idol.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrGeezer

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MrGeezer said:

@ad1x2 said:

@MrGeezer said:

Eh.....a lot of people do act. And Cruise almost always plays the same character.

He didn't say that acting is as hard as touring in Afghanistan, he said that HIS JOB is as hard as touring in Afghanistan. The vast majority of actors most certainly do not do the same job as Tom Cruise.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33  Edited By curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts

This is the media's fault. Tom Cruise would never do something as crazy as...

Oh Shi....

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Serving a tour is no big deal. Most solders are sitting in AC controlled trailers pushing papers, and shooting at wide open spaces with no targets.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

That's true of pro athletes too. But having irreplaceable talent doesn't mean your job is harder. An actor doesn't have to worry about being shot at or getting blown up by IEDs. An actor doesn't have to give up 4 years of his life in hostile foreign territory to serve the interests of his homeland's politicians.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#36 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Tom Cruise=moron.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

Well, most soldiers in Afghanistan dont have to worry about people on the internet chewing specifically THEM out. Less death threats, less crazy people with cameras following you 24/7.

And Olympians? Well, one doesn't become an Olympic level runner if they hate running.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrGeezer

@huggybear1020 said:

@MrGeezer said:

That's true of pro athletes too. But having irreplaceable talent doesn't mean your job is harder. An actor doesn't have to worry about being shot at or getting blown up by IEDs. An actor doesn't have to give up 4 years of his life in hostile foreign territory to serve the interests of his homeland's politicians.

Well, it kind of means that it's hard for MOST people to do. Even if it comes easy for Tom Cruise, then it wouldn't even be "irreplaceable talent" if it wasn't hard for OTHER people to do.

Anyway, while it was kind of a dumb thing to say, people are sort of going overboard here. What people should realize is that Tom Cruise wasn't saying that to downplay the actions and accomplishments of soldiers and athletes. His intent was was to give some indication of the difficulty and pressures of HIS job. And as far as that goes, I don't doubt him one bit. I'm sure that his job is extremely f***ing hard. Sure, he probably could have worded it better or used different analogies, but it's not like he said this on TV. He said this in a courtroom and the only reason we're hearing about it is because TMZ is desperate to get any kind of news on the guy. The very fact that this is even "news" sort of validates what Tom Cruise was saying. He's gotta watch what he says ALL THE TIME or else innocent comments made with the best of intentions end up getting used to drag him through the mud. That's a HUGE amount of pressure to deal with and it's not freaking easy.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Depends on how you define "hard." As in difficult? Demanding? Requiring certain skills? Dangerous? Different answers for each of these.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

...I'm glad I'm prone to an acting career sometime down the future :)

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

@The_Gaming_Baby:

Yeah, I read this yesterday.

I was like WTF?! Good going Tom. Way to alienate a good portion of your fanbase.

Dipshit.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

Whatever, his acting ability is still great. Long live sacred Germany!

RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts

Why do any of you care about a actor's exaggerated, and most likely joking statement?

It is like judging a cat on how good they are at being a fish.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts
@MrGeezer said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@MrGeezer said:

Well, it kind of means that it's hard for MOST people to do. Even if it comes easy for Tom Cruise, then it wouldn't even be "irreplaceable talent" if it wasn't hard for OTHER people to do.

Anyway, while it was kind of a dumb thing to say, people are sort of going overboard here. What people should realize is that Tom Cruise wasn't saying that to downplay the actions and accomplishments of soldiers and athletes. His intent was was to give some indication of the difficulty and pressures of HIS job. And as far as that goes, I don't doubt him one bit. I'm sure that his job is extremely f***ing hard. Sure, he probably could have worded it better or used different analogies, but it's not like he said this on TV. He said this in a courtroom and the only reason we're hearing about it is because TMZ is desperate to get any kind of news on the guy. The very fact that this is even "news" sort of validates what Tom Cruise was saying. He's gotta watch what he says ALL THE TIME or else innocent comments made with the best of intentions end up getting used to drag him through the mud. That's a HUGE amount of pressure to deal with and it's not freaking easy.

Well I do doubt what he says, Tom Cruise is f*cking crazy in case you haven't noticed.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrGeezer

@Bane_09 said:
@MrGeezer said:

@huggybear1020 said:

@MrGeezer said:

Well I do doubt what he says, Tom Cruise is f*cking crazy in case you haven't noticed.

Crazy or not, do you seriously doubt that it takes a lot of hard f***ing work to make it to the top of your field of work? I don't care what you do, you could be a f***ing janitor. It's not gonna be f***ing easy to become the "Tom Cruise of the janitors" or the "Tom Cruise of fry cooks." This should be freaking obvious.

Now consider that Tom Cruise is in his f***ing 50's doing primarily action movies, and he often does his own physically demanding and dangerous stunts. That is not freaking easy. That wouldn't be easy for a young man, let alone a man in his 50's who has to work his f***ing ass off just to stay in the kind of shape that allows him to do the work. And that's not considering the packed schedules, the extensive travelling, and the time away from home.

"Crazy" doesn't change any of that $hit.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

He didn't say that acting is as hard as touring in Afghanistan, he said that HIS JOB is as hard as touring in Afghanistan. The vast majority of actors most certainly do not do the same job as Tom Cruise.

And he knows this how? That would be like me saying my job is as hard as working in the White House. I have no way of knowing that....and neither does he.

Vast majority? They still do the same job. You may prefer his acting over someone else's....but they are doing the exact same job.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

I actually like Tom Cruise. That crazy couch hopping Hubbard loving little midget weasel.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

So yeah, Tom Cruise didn't make this claim.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I'm pretty sure being an American fighting in Afghanistan is pretty easy. They're just killing poor village people after all...