Tips on writing a movie review?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

So here is the story. I signed up for my high school's newspaper this year, and got assigned to write the Halo: Reach review for the coming edition. When I turned in my rough draft, the editor in chief was completely shocked. Apparently I'm a pretty good writer. So she assigned me to take care of the review for The Social Network as well, which as a team we are all going to see sometime in the near future.

But here is the problem. I know video games, I've played lots of video games and have read countless reviews over the years. I don't know movies. I see maybe 3 or 4 movies in theaters a year, and they are usually big blockbuster titles I go to see with my friends. So right now I am frantically searching the internet for reviews for movies to see what movie reviews are supposed to look like.

So I have some questions for some of the more film oriented people out there. What should I be looking for in the movie? What should I talk about? Any tips would help greatly. Also, can you reccomend me some good movie reviewing sites that isn't Rotten Tomatoes (something like Gamespot for movies) that I can go poke around and get a feel for a good review? Thanks so much in advanced.

XXGamerfanXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 XXGamerfanXX
Member since 2009 • 1066 Posts
I think the Review should be your opinion, and your opinion only, like "WOW! Check these awesome effects in the movie" type of thing, but be more specific in your review. Oh, and DON'T EVER COPY AND PASTE THE REVIEWS ON THE INTERNET, you will be in so much trouble if you do that.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I would just say why I liked the movie, what I thought they did well, what I didn't think they did well, stuff like that.

In my reviews I like to say what puts me off when I see a movie and why this movie did or didn't do those things.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
IMO, Good movie reviews contain: The entertainment value + deep meaning behind it + how they are presented The entertainment value: The appropriate usage of CGI (if used) Story itself dialogues The shock values (appropriate usage of gore, profanity, story twists, etc) etc Deep meanings: Characterization the relevance of thematic message usage of symbols etc How they are presented: the immersion pacing of the story camera (lighting, the angle, the walk, etc) performances by actors etc and they, alot of times, are mixed together but then again, I'm not a critique
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Writing a movie review isnt vastly different than writing a game review. You still talk about plot points, characters, actors, etc. You can mention the music/soundtrack, if something about it stands out. You basically talk about the film and what aspects were done well and what aspects werent.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Grodus5

Thanks guys for your help, keep the tips coming! Its just I'm pretty unfamilar with movies so I figured I would ask what most people looked for in movies besides explosions (which is the main reason I see movies honestly, but I want to branch out a bit).

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#7 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Get a pad of paper and write the word: "Plot" then think about how you can tell people what the movie is about without giving away too much

Then another key word "director" talk a bit about Fincher's other films if you've seen them. Talk about the context of this movie, how facebook has taken off.

The next bit is tricky. You need to talk about what you noticed/felt when watching the movie. It can be as simple as what the film was trying to say, how it said, how convincing it was in saying it. Did the narrative engage you? What were the performances like?

Performances are tricky to write about because its normally a balance of the script and the actor adding to the character. You can describe what the character is like to give an idea of the quality of the performance sometimes.

The point of the review is to say why this film was or was not worth seeing because of X. You're making a critique of the features in the film.

Talk about who will like this movie, whether people who don't like facebook will like it. That would really grab people if you could describe why people who are not interested in facebook will find it interesting.

Make sure you get all the names of the actors right. So important. It makes it look more professional. Look them up on IMDB.

Just PM me if you need any help. I could read through it if you want. Check out my stuff!

Also google "Roger Ebert" and read his reviews.

Laserwolf65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Laserwolf65
Member since 2003 • 6701 Posts
Write it like an essay. Intro tells you your overall opinion, the body elaborates on the points that you wanna make, and the conclusion wraps up your thoughts. This is for beginners. Once you get going, you'll get your own style.
adamBlu_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 adamBlu_00
Member since 2010 • 198 Posts

should be ur own opinion. dont change it if someone tells u something else

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

I'd say just write it like your writing a game review. Write out what you experienced, what you thought of it, how it looked/sounded, the acting (or voice acting), etc.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grodus5

Thank you everyone, especially Funsohng and the Biggest Loser, thats really helpful advice :)