lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

24 hours until it goes live on Hulu at 12am ET (9pm here on west coast). At the moment it currently holds a 95% fresh rating on RottenTomatoes with 79 reviews. Stoked. Trying not to spoil too much about it myself but yeah have noticed some early viewing positive reactions and that's as much as I need to know for now.

----[original post]-----

I think it might have some potential, I will definitely watch.

Saw this a couple weeks ago, wasn't sure what I was watching until I heard the iconic roar, now I am pumped.

Reflecting on this it seems like Predator 2 was quite a catalyst for the franchise, planted the seed for the AVP concept which has had a number of movies and games made from it, all from the easter egg on the ship with the trophy heads that included a xenomorph trophy. I had heard through the years the flintlock pistol tossed to Danny Glover at the end of the film had inspired a number of potential scripts to make a film set in the 1700s, looks like one is finally getting made.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I'm actually really excited for this.

I hope they bring back more of the mystery, suspense, and horror of the original two Predator movies, and make it less about a bunch of bro's shooting guns (yes I know the first movie had that but honestly it had more suspense and mystery to it as well).

10 Cloverfield Lane was a great film as well, so I am pretty hopeful for this movie.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrbojangles25  Online

@lamprey263 said:

...all from the easter egg on the ship with the trophy heads that included a xenomorph trophy. I had heard through the years the flintlock pistol tossed to Danny Glover at the end of the film had inspired a number of potential scripts to make a film set in the 1700s, looks like one is finally getting made.

Yeah I love that scene. Would be fun if they did a series of one-shots, like 40-60 miinutes each (sort of like the Marvel "What If?" approach).

Predator vs Revolutionary War soldier.

Predator vs Caveman

Predator vs Sabre Tooth Tiger

Predator vs 1970's Afghan Mujahedeen

I don't know just spitballin'

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Honestly it looks like dog shat, the amount of cringe in that trailer or at least the one I saw was off the charts. Btw this is coming from someone who loved Predators which was underrated AF.

All I want from a female lead is Ellen Ripley or Machiko Noguchi, is that so hard to ask?

The whole premise of a Native American girl who gets the cold shoulder from her tribe for not letting her be a warrior/hunter cause you know why not add that to the film. Then to top it off she can't even hunt a bear on her own yet she's going up against a Yaujta, thee best hunter species in the universe who hunts xenomorphs like they are deer...just doesn't sit well with me.

Can this character pull a Machiko?, probably not since Hollywood can't write a damn good female lead, I mean ffs it already looks like she not only has to copy what Dutch did to the letter fighting a predator. The whole line of her saying "it knows how to hunt, but I know how to survive" was so god damn cringe, yea you know how to survive from a failed bear hunt which a yaujta had to kill it for you while you were moments from being eaten by Winnie the Poo....I think there was at least 10 times in that trailer that yaujta could have killed that chick but you know plot progression.

I'd probably would rather watch Prometheus than this movie, at least Elizabeth Shaw was a likable character.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lamprey263

@mrbojangles25: I wouldn't doubt there's already a lot of books and comics that cover a lot of interesting settings but I am not all too familiar with those, safe to say a very versatile franchise with respect to setting/premise as long as its handle right

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I'm not ashamed to say I have never watched a Predator movie before. It never really appealed to me even though I love the Alien franchise (first film was a masterpiece of sci-fi horror).

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I have a stupid question.. can the Predator time travel? because if he can I would love to see him kill people from different eras of life.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

@warmblur said:

I have a stupid question.. can the Predator time travel? because if he can I would love to see him kill people from different eras of life.

there's more than one. it's a species of hunters over time. so yeah, you could have them in the past / future.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

IMO, should be better than the last one. Though, not a high bar to pass, just don't make every character crack lame unfunny jokes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Love the concept. Makes sense with the lore. It's established they visit at different time points and doesn't appear to be rehashing.

Saw some weird shit on the internet from internet incel types trying to crap on it before the movie is even out. The usual shitbags.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@warmblur said:

there's more than one. it's a species of hunters over time. so yeah, you could have them in the past / future.

Gotcha, thanks makes more sense now lol.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2408 Posts

Predator without the screen presence of Arnold and Danny Glover? Why do people still care?

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#13 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Since the Predator/Aliens cross over I pretty lost interest in both series with new movies coming out.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I'll watch it since I have Hulu but I never expect much from a franchise anymore. If it's not a steaming pile I'll be happy.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 comp_atkins

@mrbojangles25 said:
@lamprey263 said:

...all from the easter egg on the ship with the trophy heads that included a xenomorph trophy. I had heard through the years the flintlock pistol tossed to Danny Glover at the end of the film had inspired a number of potential scripts to make a film set in the 1700s, looks like one is finally getting made.

Yeah I love that scene. Would be fun if they did a series of one-shots, like 40-60 miinutes each (sort of like the Marvel "What If?" approach).

Predator vs Caveman

a future conflict would be interesting. like if the rate of human technological development exceeds that of the Yautja and we start traveling to their planet to **** with them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25  Online

@comp_atkins said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@lamprey263 said:

Predator vs Caveman

a future conflict would be interesting. like if the rate of human technological development exceeds that of the Yautja and we start traveling to their planet to **** with them.

That would be pretty awesome. I do love a good "don't **** with humans" narrative. You don't see it too much because I think the whole underdog story--where humanity is screwed and it takes a miracle and some luck to get through it--but when the tables are reversed it can be fun.

If they stick to canon, I think it could be fun because apparently the Yautja are not the developers of their own tech, they more or less scavenged it and while they can fix it and make it work and stuff like that, they can't really advance it. So the idea that humanity could "catch up" to their level and then even exceed it, is very real.

I'm imagining it's like, the movie opens, and several Yautja spaceships have disappeared around earth or even in Earth's solar system in general. All very mysterious. So they send a Yautja "infiltrator" to find out what happened and they spy and see what's going on down on earth and they have to report back, but then the humans chase after the Yautja spy or something hahaha.

Idunno, but you're right, I think it would be a lot of fun.

I mean in the Alien/s films, which I guess take place in the same universe, humanity already has interstellar travel and some serious weaponry. In the AvP video games the Predator still has the advantage but humanity seems to stand a better chance then they did in the 20th and early 21st century.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1392 Posts

That looks atrocious. Direct to DVD atrocious.

Potential? Only in theory...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

It will probably be abolustely terrible. I'll watch it, cause it's Predator.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lamprey263

Edited topic. Movie about to release on Hulu. Reviews look very promising.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Wasn't expecting such good reviews. Color me interested. Maybe this is my foray into the Predator franchise.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

I'll give it a try because of the reviews, hope they aren't over hyping it.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 comp_atkins

may check it out. i'm way behind on the various predator / avp movies.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6864 Posts

Looks like woke trash that purple haired weirdos can get excited for.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

@johnd13: The first Predator is a classic. The second one has Danny Glover and Bill Paxton. Good stuff. But you should watch the first one, first.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 uninspiredcup  Online

@silentchief said:

How? I mean, I hate Resetera freaks as much as the next guy, but I seriously wasn't getting that vibe from the trailer.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lamprey263

@comp_atkins: "may check it out. i'm way behind on the various predator / avp movies."

If you've seen the first two movies I think that would be enough to go on. The seeds for the setting of Prey were planted at the end of Predator 2.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 comp_atkins

@lamprey263: yup, seen the first a million times, the second a bunch too. guessing you're referring to the pistol tossed to danny glover indicating that they've been coming to earth for a while.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lamprey263

@comp_atkins: yup, just my guess that's all you'd need to know to be up to speed for this latest one.

The AVP movies just reinforced that idea, predators have been coming to earth for a while. Design-wise they depict the predators as towering over humans, much larger in scale than previous movies. The 2010 Predators movie evolves this discrepancy into the lore by writing into it that there are two types of predators (one much larger than the other) and that don't get along, and the last The Predator movie expands on that further to out it simply. But I don't imagine any of that should be relevant with Prey.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By comp_atkins
@silentchief said:

lol how so?

is the predator sitting everyone down for a CRT lecture before killing everyone?

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Silentchief
@comp_atkins said:
@silentchief said:

lol how so?

is the predator sitting everyone down for a CRT lecture before killing everyone?

No but he's going to get wrecked by a 115 pound girl. Why? Because a 7 foot tall 500 pound Alien with advanced technology is no match for a strong women of color with a bow and a spear. NOBODY IS!

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Silentchief

@uninspiredcup said:
@silentchief said:

How? I mean, I hate Resetera freaks as much as the next guy, but I seriously wasn't getting that vibe from the trailer.

Lol didn't you tell us the last Terminator wasn't woke trash? When it was in fact woke trash that lost them millions and killed the franchise?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@silentchief: I said the last 4 Terminator movies were trash.

You didn't answer the question.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3398 Posts

OMG is that a woman????

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@kathaariancode:A lot of it is people watching garbage like this where he's not even seen the movie and just declaring it bad literally, because woman.

Loading Video...

In fact you can (and I wouldn't recommend it) look the video thumbnails/headers on his channel and see tick - white guy tick - white guy cross - black person cross- black person cross- woman etc... etc... without even having to watch the videos.

How this asshole gets a million views is beyond me. Or maybe it's not, a lot of other people tend to be assholes as well, and I just promoted him.

Partly blame RLM for opening the door to this cottage industry of gimmick not-your-daddies-reviewer

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KathaarianCode

@uninspiredcup: There's a big YouTube market for dudes with "small dick energy".

I just have no patience left for these dumb culture wars. You literally can't go anywhere without stumbling on these people. Generation of snowflakes, jebus!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

@silentchief: @uninspiredcup: What is it that keeps bringing back the Alien/Pedator/Terminator movies? At this point they all have more bad movies than good in their catalogue, but they keep getting soft reboot-sequels greenlit, somehow.

Prey does look cool though, I'm just surprised the franchise got another go.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By comp_atkins
@uninspiredcup said:

@kathaariancode:A lot of it is people watching garbage like this where he's not even seen the movie and just declaring it bad literally, because woman.

Loading Video...

In fact you can (and I wouldn't recommend it) look the video thumbnails/headers on his channel and see tick - white guy tick - white guy cross - black person cross- black person cross- woman etc... etc... without even having to watch the videos.

How this asshole gets a million views is beyond me. Or maybe it's not, a lot of other people tend to be assholes as well, and I just promoted him.

Partly blame RLM for opening the door to this cottage industry of gimmick not-your-daddies-reviewer

i have watched a lot of CD's content and for the most part his schtick ( and many others like it ) is to just shit on stuff. that's pretty much his job. if he doesn't shit on most things, he loses his audience. so he shits on most most things.

there are tons of "i hate everything" type of channels out there. they found their niche and are going to exploit it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64fbf588222fb
deactivated-64fbf588222fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-64fbf588222fb
Member since 2021 • 1253 Posts

Will check it out :)

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Silentchief

@kathaariancode said:

@uninspiredcup: There's a big YouTube market for dudes with "small dick energy".

I just have no patience left for these dumb culture wars. You literally can't go anywhere without stumbling on these people. Generation of snowflakes, jebus!

Says the snowflake who's single with 6 cats 🤣🤣

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Silentchief
@uninspiredcup said:

Loading Video...

Because he's witty, funny and usually dead on. Unlike most you clowns he's actually creating stuff and launching his own series.

First of all we don't hate women or women of color we hate it when it's thrown into a movie for the sole purpose of hitting a diversity quota. Again explain to me how a 5' 4 115 pound women beats a 7 foot 550 pound Alien with advanced technology?

Again judging by your last Terminator argument it's hard to take you seriously. They literally reconnected entire story to have a Mexican girl take over the role of John Connor and then we have these purple haired cat dads asking " buh buh how is it woke? " " you just a RaCist Who HatEs WaMan!

Dude come the **** on.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Silentchief
@judaspete said:

@silentchief: @uninspiredcup: What is it that keeps bringing back the Alien/Pedator/Terminator movies? At this point they all have more bad movies than good in their catalogue, but they keep getting soft reboot-sequels greenlit, somehow.

Prey does look cool though, I'm just surprised the franchise got another go.

They have potential, they just keep giving the keys to inept morons.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 KathaarianCode

@silentchief: Oh no help, he feels targeted! So much insecurity dude. 😄

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Silentchief

@kathaariancode said:

@silentchief: Oh no help, he feels targeted! So much insecurity dude. 😄

Nah that's you. I've noticed this with your type. Constant projection. I don't feel targeted, I'm not offended and I'm not triggered. I'm just tired of getting shitty content by no talent hacks that want to push " the message".

It's like if your favorite cook leaves a restaurant you like and the new cook sucks. You should say something about it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@silentchief said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Loading Video...

Because he's witty, funny and usually dead on. Unlike most you clowns he's actually creating stuff and launching his own series.

First of all we don't hate women or women of color we hate it when it's thrown into a movie for the sole purpose of hitting a diversity quota. Again explain to me how a 5' 4 115 pound women beats a 7 foot 550 pound Alien with advanced technology?

Again judging by your last Terminator argument it's hard to take you seriously. They literally reconnected entire story to have a Mexican girl take over the role of John Connor and then we have these purple haired cat dads asking " buh buh how is it woke? " " you just a RaCist Who HatEs WaMan!

Dude come the **** on.

Seem to have gotten very angry in this and following posts.

Mean, he isn't popular due to his excellent film criticism. As evidence by your posts, he gives confirmation bias to prejudice. He literally judges a movie on sex, sexual orientation race, politics.

Basically the opposite end of people you supposedly hate, specifically he has agendaand bias. Which viewers such as yourself want parroted and consequently parrot back. Mean, literally using his phase.

"the message"

Which equates to "black people being on screen bad, homosexuality bad, woman bad", like somehow that's a good thing.

And again, you can confirm this by checking even a surface level look at this channel. Tick. Tick. Cross. Cross.

Notice as well don't seem to have answered my question, just seem to have attacked me, for thinking I act like, you? Which I believe is what they call whataboutism or some such.

Regardless, looking at your posts here, kinda just embarrassing yourself.

Me? I'll watch it. If it's bad it's bad. But like... i'll actually watch it, and try to objectively say if I like it.

There you go, already a better critic than gimmick Plinkett clone.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Silentchief

@uninspiredcup said:
@silentchief said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Loading Video...

Dude come the **** on.

Seem to have gotten very angry in this and following posts.

Mean, he isn't popular due to his excellent film criticism. As evidence by your posts, he gives confirmation bias to prejudice. He literally judges a movie on sex, sexual orientation race, politics.

Basically the opposite end of people you supposedly hate, specifically he has agendaand bias. Which viewers such as yourself want parroted and consequently parrot back. Mean, literally using his phase.

"the message"

Which equates to "black people being on screen bad, homosexuality bad, woman bad", like somehow that's a good thing.

And again, you can confirm this by checking even a surface level look at this channel. Tick. Tick. Cross. Cross.

Notice as well don't seem to have answered my question, just seem to have attacked me, for thinking I act like, you? Which I believe is what they call whataboutism or some such.

Regardless, looking at your posts here, kinda just embarrassing yourself.

Me? I'll watch it. If it's bad it's bad. But like... i'll actually watch it, and try to objectively say if I like it.

There you go, already a better critic than gimmick Plinkett clone.

Nah not angry all just tired of explaining the basics to people that continue to act dumbfounded.

The message is throwing those things into everything even if it makes no sense narratively for the sole purpose of hitting the progressive quota. If I have to explain that to you are you aren't noticing that in most content that comes out now then I don't know what to tell you.

The man has over 1 million subscribers. A single guy. He gets more views then most mainstream shill critics who at this point are just corporate sponsors.

I did answer your question multiple times. I think a 115 pound women defeating a 7 foot tall 550 pound Alien with superior technology is dumb. If you enjoy the feminist power fantasy have fun I don't care but they have done that to just about every existing franchise at this point and it's getting old.

I can't emberass myself at a circus. And if you are a better critic then go make a living off if it like he does.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 uninspiredcup  Online

Yea, not even reading that.

Probably waffle.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Silentchief

@uninspiredcup said:

Yea, not even reading that.

Probably waffle.

Bitches about not answering question ( which I did) then admits to not reading).

Sounds about right.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lamprey263

I had fun with it. Final battle could have been better but the film had good build up once it got going. I liked the design of this predator. A lot more primal looking, not to say it isn't without its advanced toys, and there's some cool new additions to the arsenal. It's also more of a sportman type, not upping for more powerful gear accept to even the odds. The predator-prey theme is constantly on display, people hunting animals, animals hunting animals, they show how humans and predators both track their prey, shows them both healing their wounds after battle, even the theme about the rights of passage for hunters hunting something that hunts them swings both ways.