Thoughts on Liam neeson?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

7254

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 7254 Posts

On an interview he says his family member was raped by a black man at one point and he was so angry he grabbed a crow bar to look for and kill a black man in retaliation. He says he was sorry for thinking like that and went to a preacher who helped him resolve his troubling thoughts.

What do you guys think? Personally I gained a new level of respect for him. He admitted he was wrong and went to change his ways. He's not hiding.

Bravo Mr.Neeson, I'll be checking out your movie. It's gotten pretty good reviews.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

37696

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37696 Posts

I admire him for being honest. He probably knew saying that he would get alot of heat. If he's learned from it (presumably he has) and realizes it was dumb, grown as a person etc.. great. I doubt he would be revealing this otherwise. Everyone at some point does extremely dumb shit in the heat moment, especially young.

I'd be interesting in black peoples perspective on this. As opposed to Peirce Morgan's hot take.

Like that shit has never been racist or attempted to capitalize on it, British newspapers of course being the height of morality.

Avatar image for crimsonbrute
CrimsonBrute

25592

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#3 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25592 Posts

My opinion of him hasn't changed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12

392

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 deactivated-5de67c4d9cb12
Member since 2019 • 392 Posts

So I guess Neeson is learning the lesson of how to live in 2019 which is never open up about anything and never admit to anything.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

45729

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45729 Posts

I think he spoke well, gave a good lesson, and think he meant it.

I don't think he is a bigot, racist, or hateful person, either. Getting upset over things (especially something as serious as rape) can cause people, even smart people, to do dumb things.

In other words, "nothing to see here, folks".

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

On an interview he says his family member was raped by a black man at one point and he was so angry he grabbed a crow bar to look for and kill a black man in retaliation. He says he was sorry for thinking like that and went to a preacher who helped him resolve his troubling thoughts.

What do you guys think? Personally I gained a new level of respect for him. He admitted he was wrong and went to change his ways. He's not hiding.

Bravo Mr.Neeson, I'll be checking out your movie. It's gotten pretty good reviews.

From what I read, he didn't grab a crowbar and start hunting black people.

What he did was go to "a black part of town" hoping to be jumped by a black person so he could defend himself. He basically put himself out there as bait and trap so he could feel some sort of justice; so he could both say "Hey I was only defending myself" but also "I got justice for my raped friend".

Either situation is not exactly a great thing, but the former is very malicious while the latter is less so. Neeson let his sense of honor, as he put it, get the best of him.

Avatar image for npiet1
npiet1

3022

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6 npiet1  Online
Member since 2018 • 3022 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I think he spoke well, gave a good lesson, and think he meant it.

I don't think he is a bigot, racist, or hateful person, either. Getting upset over things (especially something as serious as rape) can cause people, even smart people, to do dumb things.

In other words, "nothing to see here, folks".

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

On an interview he says his family member was raped by a black man at one point and he was so angry he grabbed a crow bar to look for and kill a black man in retaliation. He says he was sorry for thinking like that and went to a preacher who helped him resolve his troubling thoughts.

What do you guys think? Personally I gained a new level of respect for him. He admitted he was wrong and went to change his ways. He's not hiding.

Bravo Mr.Neeson, I'll be checking out your movie. It's gotten pretty good reviews.

From what I read, he didn't grab a crowbar and start hunting black people.

What he did was go to "a black part of town" hoping to be jumped by a black person so he could defend himself. He basically put himself out there as bait and trap so he could feel some sort of justice; so he could both say "Hey I was only defending myself" but also "I got justice for my raped friend".

Either situation is not exactly a great thing, but the former is very malicious while the latter is less so. Neeson let his sense of honor, as he put it, get the best of him.

That's what I heard to. My opinion hasn't changed of him.

Avatar image for mrbojangles25
mrbojangles25

45729

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 45729 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I admire him for being honest. He probably knew saying that he would get alot of heat. If he's learned from it (presumably he has) and realizes it was dumb, grown as a person etc.. great. I doubt he would be revealing this otherwise. Everyone at some point does extremely dumb shit in the heat moment, especially young.

I'd be interesting in black peoples perspective on this. As opposed to Peirce Morgan's hot take.

Like that shit has never been racist or attempted to capitalize on it, British newspapers of course being the height of morality.

The interview I saw/read about was done by a black woman. She was skeptical, but I think ultimately she was convinced he wasn't your run of the mill bigot, just a guy who made a poor judgement call.

The way I think of it is like this: you have two kinds of people in the world.

1. Someone who drives home drunk once, realizes what a terrible mistake they have done, scare themselves straight, and swear never to do it again. And they never do. They see it as their one chance and won't take another.

2. Someone who drives home drunk, realizes they got away with it, and keep doing it.

I think Neeson is type 1. We can hate on him all we want for doing the initial offense, but ultimately A.) nothing bad come of it, and B.) he grew as a person and turned out better.

I'm not making excuses for him, he didn't do a great thing, but ultimately the scales tipped out positive. So it's time to move on and worry about more important shit.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

37696

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#8 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37696 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

I admire him for being honest. He probably knew saying that he would get alot of heat. If he's learned from it (presumably he has) and realizes it was dumb, grown as a person etc.. great. I doubt he would be revealing this otherwise. Everyone at some point does extremely dumb shit in the heat moment, especially young.

I'd be interesting in black peoples perspective on this. As opposed to Peirce Morgan's hot take.

Like that shit has never been racist or attempted to capitalize on it, British newspapers of course being the height of morality.

The interview I saw/read about was done by a black woman. She was skeptical, but I think ultimately she was convinced he wasn't your run of the mill bigot, just a guy who made a poor judgement call.

The way I think of it is like this: you have two kinds of people in the world.

1. Someone who drives home drunk once, realizes what a terrible mistake they have done, scare themselves straight, and swear never to do it again. And they never do. They see it as their one chance and won't take another.

2. Someone who drives home drunk, realizes they got away with it, and keep doing it.

I think Neeson is type 1. We can hate on him all we want for doing the initial offense, but ultimately A.) nothing bad come of it, and B.) he grew as a person and turned out better.

I'm not making excuses for him, he didn't do a great thing, but ultimately the scales tipped out positive. So it's time to move on and worry about more important shit.

It seems regardless he might have just suicided his career, After reading twitter comments, and feeling all the dumber, I think this guy might have had a good point.

@volsung said:

So I guess Neeson is learning the lesson of how to live in 2019 which is never open up about anything and never admit to anything.

Avatar image for sban83
SBan83

69

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 SBan83
Member since 2019 • 69 Posts

@volsung said:

So I guess Neeson is learning the lesson of how to live in 2019 which is never open up about anything and never admit to anything.

Unfortunately, this is my opinion too. These are hyper touchy times and it was better not to bring it up at all.

Avatar image for speeny
Speeny

2343

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 9

#10 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2343 Posts

He was angry. As anybody would be in that type of situation. We all make mistakes.

Avatar image for talksfox
TalksFox

3

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#11 TalksFox
Member since 2019 • 3 Posts

Yes, we all make mistakes....... agree!

but these mistakes are repeated, which is not good

Avatar image for zaryia
Zaryia

11150

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#12 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 11150 Posts

The backlash against him is mind boggling.

Do people not get the point of his story? FFS.

Avatar image for warmblur
warmblur

4070

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 4070 Posts

He probably just ruined his career sadly. I don't think any less of him but the SJW's are going to eat him alive. He should of never said that publicly he just screwed himself dumb move.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

37696

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37696 Posts

@zaryia said:

The backlash against him is mind boggling.

Do people not get the point of his story? FFS.

You'd think America would intrinsically get it.

By that, i'm referring 9/11, where people in their anger, along with media as well (see Howard Stern) advocated indiscriminately murdering people in Arab countries as a response.

Which, in some cases, pretty much happened.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

7254

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 7254 Posts

@warmblur said:

He probably just ruined his career sadly. I don't think any less of him but the SJW's are going to eat him alive. He should of never said that publicly he just screwed himself dumb move.

Indeed. I'll make sure to watch his latest movie in theaters.

Avatar image for LJS9502_basic
LJS9502_basic

168505

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#16 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 168505 Posts

Good actor. Don't care that he got angry once and thought about retribution.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

14083

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 214

User Lists: 0

#17 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14083 Posts

The era he was talking about is the 1970s. Back in those days, racism was widespread. Not just in the US (which is very well known), but also the UK and Ireland. In the UK, hate crimes against black and Asian minorities were widespread, e.g. "Paki bashing" and "n***** bashing". And in Ireland, Catholics and Protestants were killing and bombing the shit out of each other (as he mentions in the interview). That's the kind of society he grew up in, so it makes sense that he would've had bigoted and racist views that reflected the society he grew up in.

But times have changed, and so has Liam Neeson. He's not the hot-headed bigoted youngster he was back in the 1970s. And that's kind of his point. He's acknowledged that he used to be racist and bigoted, but he realized he was a dick, attempted to change his ways, grew out of it, and became a better person. That's something many bigots today could learn from.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

14083

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 214

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14083 Posts

Former footballer John Barnes MBE defending Liam Neeson, while at the same time attacking Winston Churchill...

...Seems like Barnes is also calling-out Piers Morgan, who was defending Churchill for weeks against people calling him a white-supremacist mass-murderer, yet Morgan wants to hold Neeson accountable over racist thoughts he realized were wrong over 40 years ago.

Avatar image for Flyin3lvl
Flyin3lvl

2837

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#19 Flyin3lvl
Member since 2013 • 2837 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: i always stay out of topics like this but for the first time i see the media ""attacking"" him for what he said but completely over looking the rape part

under the circumstances i see how the anger can blind him and want to take action but dont condemn him over it - lets focus on the rape part instead

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

7254

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 7254 Posts

@Flyin3lvl: the rape part wasn't the point of the story. Of course rape is bad and wrong, but it happens alot, an every day occurance. The point of the story was Liam Neesoms reaction , how he realized he was wrong and how he changed his thinking. It was a process for him but he got through it. That was the point and the fact he came out on tv and said it is amazing.

I agree with you on the media being complete trash. They just proves trump to be right, fake news.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

666

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#21 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

I remember reading about this when it first came out and didn't really find it to be that big of a deal at all. Like others have pointed out, he's human. We all make mistakes and do things we regret. At least he didn't actually hurt anyone.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

37696

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37696 Posts

@Jag85 said:

The era he was talking about is the 1970s. Back in those days, racism was widespread. Not just in the US (which is very well known), but also the UK and Ireland. In the UK, hate crimes against black and Asian minorities were widespread, e.g. "Paki bashing" and "n***** bashing". And in Ireland, Catholics and Protestants were killing and bombing the shit out of each other (as he mentions in the interview). That's the kind of society he grew up in, so it makes sense that he would've had bigoted and racist views that reflected the society he grew up in.

But times have changed, and so has Liam Neeson. He's not the hot-headed bigoted youngster he was back in the 1970s. And that's kind of his point. He's acknowledged that he used to be racist and bigoted, but he realized he was a dick, attempted to change his ways, grew out of it, and became a better person. That's something many bigots today could learn from.

I think this is something that will go over some peoples heads. In fact I was watching today and the lady on The View refereed to it as "England", which are chalk and cheese.

Can attest from personal experience even here, the dude who lives next-door (Celtic supporter) regularly pumps out his IRA music and my brother who regularly spouts out derogatory remarks towards Cathlics (Rangers). It's absolutely tame here compared to Ireland, and especially the Ireland he grew up in, but it's pretty easy to see the medieval us vs them attitude where it's about a group than an individual.

Churchill is bang on point. Most of the UK aren't taught, and are thus ignorant or deliberately choose to ignore (as Peirce Morgan did) the fact he was an ardent racist because of some romanticized idea of British patriotism.

Avatar image for vfighter
VFighter

6050

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#23 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 6050 Posts

The people freaking out over this story and wanting to boycott his movies etc are the real problem we face.

Avatar image for Longsnout
Longsnout

181

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#24 Longsnout
Member since 2013 • 181 Posts
@talksfox said:

Yes, we all make mistakes....... agree!

but these mistakes are repeated, which is not good

The whole point of the anecdote was that he didn't make a mistake, just thought about it in a fit of rage.

Avatar image for shellcase86
shellcase86

4634

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#25 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 4634 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@Jag85 said:

The era he was talking about is the 1970s. Back in those days, racism was widespread. Not just in the US (which is very well known), but also the UK and Ireland. In the UK, hate crimes against black and Asian minorities were widespread, e.g. "Paki bashing" and "n***** bashing". And in Ireland, Catholics and Protestants were killing and bombing the shit out of each other (as he mentions in the interview). That's the kind of society he grew up in, so it makes sense that he would've had bigoted and racist views that reflected the society he grew up in.

But times have changed, and so has Liam Neeson. He's not the hot-headed bigoted youngster he was back in the 1970s. And that's kind of his point. He's acknowledged that he used to be racist and bigoted, but he realized he was a dick, attempted to change his ways, grew out of it, and became a better person. That's something many bigots today could learn from.

I think this is something that will go over some peoples heads. In fact I was watching today and the lady on The View refereed to it as "England", which are chalk and cheese.

Can attest from personal experience even here, the dude who lives next-door (Celtic supporter) regularly pumps out his IRA music and my brother who regularly spouts out derogatory remarks towards Cathlics (Rangers). It's absolutely tame here compared to Ireland, and especially the Ireland he grew up in, but it's pretty easy to see the medieval us vs them attitude where it's about a group than an individual.

Churchill is bang on point. Most of the UK aren't taught, and are thus ignorant or deliberately choose to ignore (as Peirce Morgan did) the fact he was an ardent racist because of some romanticized idea of British patriotism.

Good points. I didn't realize until the past year just how bad Churchill. Thank goodness for NPR.

Avatar image for jackamomo
Jackamomo

2156

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2156 Posts

John Barnes?! I think they should find all the world cup singles he produced and burn them. Just for the good of music.

Clearly he was trying to make a point about how he was taken by a racist thought but corrected himself and people are just ignoring the second half.

It's so easy to take things out of context in the world of twitter.

Can I just make this joke...? "I will find you... and hunt you down... with a crowbar."

It was a very poorly judged comment though from a bone headed Liam.

PS. If your talking about WW2 morality. Maybe the Rothschilds shouldn't have bankrolled both sides to come out richer than ever.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

40618

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#27 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40618 Posts

Liam Neeson is a good Actor, my opinion on his past hasn't change and I'm gonna leave it like that.

In the 70's, their was still Diversity everywhere and Liam grew up in that era, so you have to understand where he's coming from, it's understandable and the past is the past.

Avatar image for sonicare
sonicare

57204

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#28 sonicare
Member since 2004 • 57204 Posts

I don't see what the issues is. He was speaking honestly to his own faults. My understanding is that he mentioned an episode that happen 30-40 years ago. In it, he states he was ashamed of his behavior. He didnt actually attack anyway, he was speaking to his thoughts at the time - which he readily admits were wrong and he apologizes about. that's a good thing, not something he should be shunned for.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
Jacanuk

19566

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#29  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 19566 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1 said:

On an interview he says his family member was raped by a black man at one point and he was so angry he grabbed a crow bar to look for and kill a black man in retaliation. He says he was sorry for thinking like that and went to a preacher who helped him resolve his troubling thoughts.

What do you guys think? Personally I gained a new level of respect for him. He admitted he was wrong and went to change his ways. He's not hiding.

Bravo Mr.Neeson, I'll be checking out your movie. It's gotten pretty good reviews.

Liam Nesson is still one of the few great actors left in Hollywood in my eyes.

And as to this, he was asked about his process when making a movie about revenge and told this story that happened when he was a young adult in his 20´s and a close friend had just been assaulted.

Nothing racist about that and unlike most he was intelligent enough to see the error and stop but his response was very very human and everyone has been there. The funny thing though is the hypocrisy from the left, It´s not like the left judge whole groups by a few bad apples, "Democrats "Republicans are all deplorable" "all cops are racist" etc. etc. etc. At least Liam knew better.

Avatar image for Treflis
Treflis

13704

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#30 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13704 Posts

The man admits he had certain thoughts when angry over a attack on a friend and regrets it, people go haywire as if they've never done something they regret.
Welcome to 2019, where everybody puts up a image of "perfection" and any admittance they aren't will be met with, ironically, actions one ought to regret.

Avatar image for SoNin360
SoNin360

7128

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#31 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7128 Posts

Given the context, I understand the mindset he must have had at the time. Of course, the thoughts were impulsive and out of anger. But he didn't even act on them and he was actually disturbed enough by his own thoughts to seek help. If anything, I respect Neeson even more. Why this is being talked about when it happened 30-40 years ago or whatever, I just don't get. You could look into so many other celebrities' pasts and find way more fucked up things and yet they're still working. For instance, seems like most people forgot or don't even know that Mark Wahlberg literally beat up minorities in his youth and nearly killed a Vietnamese guy.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

14083

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 214

User Lists: 0

#32  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14083 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

Given the context, I understand the mindset he must have had at the time. Of course, the thoughts were impulsive and out of anger. But he didn't even act on them and he was actually disturbed enough by his own thoughts to seek help. If anything, I respect Neeson even more. Why this is being talked about when it happened 30-40 years ago or whatever, I just don't get. You could look into so many other celebrities' pasts and find way more fucked up things and yet they're still working. For instance, seems like most people forgot or don't even know that Mark Wahlberg literally beat up minorities in his youth and nearly killed a Vietnamese guy.

I'm one of those people... I had no idea until you just mentioned it. How come this didn't blow up on mainstream or social media? Or did I miss something here?

Well, thanks for letting me know anyway, because I had no idea Mark Wahlberg was such a scumbag... It's fucked-up that he's still working and one of the most overpaid actors in Hollywood, while Liam Neeson risks losing his career over the mere thought of what Wahlberg actually acted on (not to mention Liam Neeson is a much better actor). That makes no sense.

EDIT:

I just found out that the hypocrite Piers Morgan actually wrote a piece asking people to forgive Mark Wahlberg! Yet Piers wants Liam Neeson to lose his job over the mere thought of what Wahlberg actually acted out... As if Piers Morgan couldn't be anymore of a scumbag hypocrite.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

40618

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#33 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40618 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@SoNin360 said:

Given the context, I understand the mindset he must have had at the time. Of course, the thoughts were impulsive and out of anger. But he didn't even act on them and he was actually disturbed enough by his own thoughts to seek help. If anything, I respect Neeson even more. Why this is being talked about when it happened 30-40 years ago or whatever, I just don't get. You could look into so many other celebrities' pasts and find way more fucked up things and yet they're still working. For instance, seems like most people forgot or don't even know that Mark Wahlberg literally beat up minorities in his youth and nearly killed a Vietnamese guy.

I'm one of those people... I had no idea until you just mentioned it. How come this didn't blow up on mainstream or social media? Or did I miss something here?

Well, thanks for letting me know anyway, because I had no idea Mark Wahlberg was such a scumbag... It's fucked-up that he's still working and making tens of millions every year, while Liam Neeson risks losing his career over the mere thought of what Wahlberg actually acted on (not to mention Liam Neeson is a much better actor). That makes no sense.

If I remember right, this wasn't worldwide public knowledge, this was like 30 years ago? I thought for sure I've read that Wahlberg has reached out to the individual and apologized. A big problem, a lot of people had with this is that he wanted his record wiped clean so he could become a reserve police officer (since convicted felons aren't allowed to do so). People didn't like the idea of a rich actor who just gets to erase his horrible crimes because he's a rich actor nor did they like a guy convicted of savagely beating minorities being allowed to become a cop.

Mark Wahlberg was a straight up Thug when he was young, this isn't a secret and he talks about this a lot & how jail changed his life.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

14083

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 214

User Lists: 0

#34 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14083 Posts
@davillain- said:

If I remember right, this wasn't worldwide public knowledge, this was like 30 years ago? I thought for sure I've read that Wahlberg has reached out to the individual and apologized. A big problem, a lot of people had with this is that he wanted his record wiped clean so he could become a reserve police officer (since convicted felons aren't allowed to do so). People didn't like the idea of a rich actor who just gets to erase his horrible crimes because he's a rich actor nor did they like a guy convicted of savagely beating minorities being allowed to become a cop.

Mark Wahlberg was a straight up Thug when he was young, this isn't a secret and he talks about this a lot & how jail changed his life.

That still doesn't justify Wahlberg. He's a straight-up scumbag. And this talentless convict is one of the most overpaid actors in Hollywood, making a shit-ton of cash every year... It would be nice if all of the people getting outraged over Liam Neeson would instead direct that outrage towards someone who actually deserves it, like Mark Wahlberg.

Avatar image for davillain-
DaVillain-

40618

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#35 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 40618 Posts

@Jag85: Don't get me wrong, I don't like how Wahlberg beat up minorities and yeah, he deserves far worse and Liam Neeson didn't attack anyone, he got help and he's sure a better man then Marky Mark.

This is why I never want to work in Hollywood. Too many dark secrets and I sure don't wanna go into the shadow lands myself.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

3233

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#36 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3233 Posts

@zaryia: Did you expect anything different from the radical left SJW's that infest Hollywood?

Avatar image for horgen
Horgen

122237

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#37 Horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 122237 Posts

@crimsonbrute said:

My opinion of him hasn't changed.

If anything, perhaps improved. Admitting a mistake isn't easy these days.

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
uninspiredcup

37696

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 37696 Posts

@SoNin360 said:

Given the context, I understand the mindset he must have had at the time. Of course, the thoughts were impulsive and out of anger. But he didn't even act on them and he was actually disturbed enough by his own thoughts to seek help. If anything, I respect Neeson even more. Why this is being talked about when it happened 30-40 years ago or whatever, I just don't get. You could look into so many other celebrities' pasts and find way more fucked up things and yet they're still working. For instance, seems like most people forgot or don't even know that Mark Wahlberg literally beat up minorities in his youth and nearly killed a Vietnamese guy.

Tis' the thing though, context is irrelevant to them. Social media piggyback outrage for their own self-gratification and left-columnists hijack it to spew their own narrative, and what we should learn, because of course they have the real answer. And then you get the right-wing British ones like The Mirror who'll deliberately construe it for maximum outage.

It was a pretty simple message, something an 8 year old could probably figure out.

Avatar image for Jacanuk
Jacanuk

19566

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#41 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 19566 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@SoNin360 said:

Given the context, I understand the mindset he must have had at the time. Of course, the thoughts were impulsive and out of anger. But he didn't even act on them and he was actually disturbed enough by his own thoughts to seek help. If anything, I respect Neeson even more. Why this is being talked about when it happened 30-40 years ago or whatever, I just don't get. You could look into so many other celebrities' pasts and find way more fucked up things and yet they're still working. For instance, seems like most people forgot or don't even know that Mark Wahlberg literally beat up minorities in his youth and nearly killed a Vietnamese guy.

I'm one of those people... I had no idea until you just mentioned it. How come this didn't blow up on mainstream or social media? Or did I miss something here?

Well, thanks for letting me know anyway, because I had no idea Mark Wahlberg was such a scumbag... It's fucked-up that he's still working and one of the most overpaid actors in Hollywood, while Liam Neeson risks losing his career over the mere thought of what Wahlberg actually acted on (not to mention Liam Neeson is a much better actor). That makes no sense.

EDIT:

I just found out that the hypocrite Piers Morgan actually wrote a piece asking people to forgive Mark Wahlberg! Yet Piers wants Liam Neeson to lose his job over the mere thought of what Wahlberg actually acted out... As if Piers Morgan couldn't be anymore of a scumbag hypocrite.

You forget some of the reasoning behind Piers Mogan's rant against Liem Nesson, Pierce is English and Nesson is Irish from Northern Ireland.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

14083

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 214

User Lists: 0

#42 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14083 Posts

Sad how so many missed the point of what Liam was trying to say. His point was that humans are not perfect, but that things like prejudice and bigotry exist within us, and it's better to own up to it and conquer those inner demons, instead of faking it and pretending we're flawless angels. People are too busy looking for external threats instead of examining the internal threats that exist within us.

Avatar image for Jag85
Jag85

14083

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 214

User Lists: 0

#43 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 14083 Posts

@Jacanuk: That's kind of what I suspected.

Avatar image for fireman64
fireman64

50

Forum Posts

0

Wiki Points

0

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#44 fireman64
Member since 2018 • 50 Posts

@volsung said:

So I guess Neeson is learning the lesson of how to live in 2019 which is never open up about anything and never admit to anything.

I would have left that part out.. But that's not something I would thought of either.