This problem with a close friend of mine!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Welis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Welis
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts
Ok let's just make it short. We've been friends for around 12 years or so, and we've had ups and downs but we also get through with each other. We had moments where we shared and talked for hours about how we felt at each other (NO HOMO and so forth. Well lately he has isolated himself from people and friends. And 2 days ago he called me to have a chat about what was going on. He told me he's going insane, having trouble sleeping at night, problem with social anxiety, he wokes up sometimes during the night to cry, and he's very paranoid and always felt guilty on things that don't matter. He told me the best is to stay low and "dissappear" for a while so he could chill down. I am not sure that is such a bright idea consider us human being will be driven by madness if we're not socially active. And he also told me to stay away from him for a while, cause he doesn't like rejecting my request such as hanging out or so. He has problem saying no to things. So what he wants is that I block him away, and he is the only one to make contact with me if needed. He admitted it sounded selfish, but it is just the better for him. Okay this probably was a little wall of text, but I tried to squeeze it all into one tiny and understandable situation here. Thank you for reading!
Avatar image for deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
Member since 2009 • 4084 Posts

He should seek professional help. He may be bi-polar or something, which is not good to just "wait out"

Welis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Welis

He should seek professional help. He may be bi-polar or something, which is not good to just "wait out"

BATTOSAI76
He did had psychology sessions.. It helped him a lot, but he still has problems. It is urgent because I am getting worried what his next move is going to be.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Most people are naturally social. It sounds like he's in denial.
Welis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Welis
Yeah he could be delusional.. But I am planning on going to visit him this week. What good question should I ask him and help him out with?
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
I don't know much about this stuff, but did he get a professional to give him medication? I dunno if the issues he has require medication, but just saying he might have to.
Welis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Welis
I don't know much about this stuff, but did he get a professional to give him medication? I dunno if the issues he has require medication, but just saying he might have to.hydralisk86
The only medication I know he's on is sleeping pills lol But I'll ask him about that. Thanks for that one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

[QUOTE="BATTOSAI76"]

Welis

He did had psychology sessions.. It helped him a lot, but he still has problems. It is urgent because I am getting worried what his next move is going to be.

It might be bad enough for medication.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 branketra
Help him get out of his basement. Figuratively speaking. I prefer to work alone, but I don't mind hanging out with people. So, I can empathize to a certain extent. If he's been a hothead lately, it might be best to let him cool off. Most people need some time to recover if they experience a traumatic event. If that's what happened, give him some space.
Welis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Welis
Oh I forgot to add he had gone through psychological trauma, being exposed to sexually abused. This had huge impact on his behavior and has alter his lifestyle and how he react to certain situation and has made him what he is now today. Sorry not a native english person
Welis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Welis
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Help him get out of his basement. Figuratively speaking. I prefer to work alone, but I don't mind hanging out with people. So, I can empathize to a certain extent. If he's been a hothead lately, it might be best to let him cool off. Most people need some time to recover if they experience a traumatic event. If that's what happened, give him some space.

Yeah you're getting really to understanding the situation. He had gone through traumatic event, but that happened 3 months ago. He's still thinks about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

Oh I forgot to add he had gone through psychological trauma, being exposed to sexually abused. This had huge impact on his behavior and has alter his lifestyle and how he react to certain situation and has made him what he is now today. Sorry not a native english personWelis

Yeah, he should really see a pro.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
Ask him stuff that will hint you as to what triggered this sudden change of character.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Help him get out of his basement. Figuratively speaking. I prefer to work alone, but I don't mind hanging out with people. So, I can empathize to a certain extent. If he's been a hothead lately, it might be best to let him cool off. Most people need some time to recover if they experience a traumatic event. If that's what happened, give him some space.Welis
Yeah you're getting really to understanding the situation. He had gone through traumatic event, but that happened 3 months ago. He's still thinks about it.

Something like that probably doesn't go away overnight. I don't know what he's going through, having never experienced something like that. The best I can tell him is to take up a new hobby with a goal. If he's not ready for that, he should talk to a therapist.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

Not trying to sound like a jerk here and alarm you but it won't be long before suicide crosses his mind I say you try to help him or try to get him to seek profesional advice, it's pretty obvious he can't handle the issue on his own.

It's the "dissapear" part that worries me

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#16 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

If he's in his 20s, could be he has schizoprhenia. Unless he gets incredibly proactive/lucky, he's probably in for a rough ride - some doctor will probably want to dope him up and he'll never be the same person you knew.

When you deal with someone with a mental disorder you have to remember, they're not rational, you cannot expect them to be rational.

Don't abandon your friend but realize there's not much you can do but let him know you're there for him.

Am_Confucius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Am_Confucius
Member since 2011 • 3229 Posts

Not trying to sound like a jerk here and alarm you but it won't be long before suicide crosses his mind I say you try to help him or try to get him to seek profesional advice, it's pretty obvious he can't handle the issue on his own.

It's the "dissapear" part that worries me

Darthkaiser
I concur.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Most people are naturally social. It sounds like he's in denial.BranKetra

Most being the operative word.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
leave him alone for a couple days and then try to talk with him again and press him into taking to you. If you are really worried that he might do something crazy, then tell his parents....if he lives alone or something or away from his parents, then dont give him too much time alone and go over to him to see what he is thinking
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I'd encourage him to see a doctor about a possible anxiety or other disorder. If you've been friends for 12 years, I'd go over to his house and drag his a$$ to the doctor actually.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
Get him professional help. Talk to his parents about it. Don't handle this on your own.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Take him to a shrink.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

Sounds like he is experiencing depression and social anxiety. I might suggest you try and not take his actions into great consideration as he is not himself. Also, don't make him feel like he's weak and stupid, even if he was, simple actions that might even suggest that can make his depression worse. In time, hes going to realize how much time and opportunities he has lost by not hanging out and mingling with people, when that happens you might wanna encourage him to go out and try to live up what he has lost. Its a hard path for him now, his overall health is gonna go down and his entire lifestyle is going to be a big pile of sh*t .. lets just hope it won't reach to the point of suicide.

When I find the treatment other than doctors and antidepressants, ill tell you TC.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Most people are naturally social. It sounds like he's in denial.Ilovegames1992

Most being the operative word.

Meaning what? There are exceptions, but many people are also xenophobic, to varying degrees.