The USA had plenty of chances to kill Bin Laden...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

Am I reading this correctly?

Parrot, who was once the chief falconer for the Shah of Iran and who has worked for the royal families of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, still has extensive contacts in Iran and the falcon world. One of those contacts, described as a warlord from the north of Iran and disguised in a balaclava, reveals in the film that he has met Bin Laden six times on hunting trips inside Iran since March 2003. He says the Al Qaeda leader is relaxed and healthy and so comfortable that "he travels with only four bodyguards."

Parrot said Bin Laden was renowned as an avid falconer who captured most of the falcons around Kandahar to raise funds to support his terror efforts. Each spring wealthy Arabs from the Gulf would fill military cargo planes full of specially equipped Toyota Land Cruisers and other equipmentand fly to the falcon camps in Afghanistan. "Usama would arrive and presented the falcons as gifts," Parrot said. "In return, the wealthy princes would leave the cars and equipment with him when they left, giving Al Qaeda a considerable material advantage over others, including the Taliban."

Richard Clarke, the former counterterrorism expert at the White House through two administrations, has admitted in interviews and before the 9/11 Commission that on one of the three occasions the United States was able to place Bin Laden, he was in a falcon camp set up by falcon hunters from Dubai. The CIA requested a cruise missile strike against Bin Laden. Clarke said he stopped the government from firing at the camp because "it didn't look like an Al Qaeda camp."

Edit: Oh yeah, I guess the source would help :P

Any one of these:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/05/03/usama-bin-laden-living-comfortably-iran-documentary-asserts/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/7680557/Osama-bin-Laden-living-in-luxury-in-Iran.html

http://www.news.com.au/world/bin-laden-living-a-relaxed-comfortable-existence-in-iran-apartment-documentary-claims/story-e6frfkyi-1225862175752

http://www.iranian.com/main/news/2010/05/05/osama-bin-laden-living-luxury-iran

SamusFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SamusFreak
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

Source?

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
What's your source for this?
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Yes there were several times. I forget which country, but some Arab commandos had tracked him down and were ready to take him out but the CIA called off the whole thing due to some BS.

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts
For those asking for the source, it was on ABC news. That's where I read it, at least.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Yes, several times the CIA had planned to kill him but were called off.

We also came incredibly close to capturing him during the assault on Tora Bora,but the government refused to stage a large scale attack with American forces and instead used local militias. Unsuprising, he slipped past the militiamen who were suppose to be stopping his escape into Pakistan.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BMD004

I just don't understand... what is the reasoning of keeping this guy alive? Isn't he the most wanted man in the world by the USA?

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Yes. It's unfortunate.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

"Clarke said he stopped the government from firing at the camp because "it didn't look like an Al Qaeda camp.""

Yup, Looks like you read that right. Probably didn't want to deal with all the "Oh, You bombed Civilians" etc...Garbage.

SamusFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SamusFreak
Member since 2004 • 1932 Posts

For those asking for the source, it was on ABC news. That's where I read it, at least.GHlegend77

ah ok. I have heard of several times we have had a chance to bag this guy, just not this one. I will def go over to ABC and check it out.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
You clearly don't understand. Its got to be a Hollywood ending.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
As with all things in life...it is all about timing
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

Are you saying you want our officials to bomb places that look like civilian camps just because Bin Laden might be in them? :|

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BMD004

Are you saying you want our officials to bomb places that look like civilian camps just because Bin Laden might be in them? :|

Theokhoth
Not necessarily. What I am saying is if they knew that Bin Laden was there, then they KNEW WHERE HE WAS!!! They should have been able to keep tabs on his every move until they could get a chance to get him.
rcafan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rcafan
Member since 2010 • 2025 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

BMD004
Not necessarily. What I am saying is if they knew that Bin Laden was there, then they KNEW WHERE HE WAS!!! They should have been able to keep tabs on his every move until they could get a chance to get him.

many others did as well did they do anything no....
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts

"Clarke said he stopped the government from firing at the camp because "it didn't look like an Al Qaeda camp.""

Yup, Looks like you read that right. Probably didn't want to deal with all the "Oh, You bombed Civilians" etc...Garbage.

Snipes_2

Not many people seem to have qualms about killing them with drones so I doubt that was the reason.

guitarshr3dd3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 guitarshr3dd3r
Member since 2009 • 1151 Posts
Well I'm sure there is wayyyy more to this than just hunting him down, the government is hiding quite a bit from us, who knows what their real intentions for Bin Laden are.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sajo7
You clearly don't understand. Its got to be a Hollywood ending.Wilfred_Owen
Petraeus and bin Laden have to engage in fisticuffs in the Pakistani mountainside.
Nauron-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nauron-
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts
Bin Laden used to work for the US government.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
Bin Laden used to work for the US government.Nauron-
If by "worked for the US government" you mean "the US government gave Saudi Arabia money to fund military groups to fight off the Russians, and Bin Laden was among those people," then you are correct.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BMD004

I just don't understand why things like this aren't bigger news..

Hydrolex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hydrolex
Member since 2007 • 1648 Posts

Politicians = biggest liars and salesmen

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

The US had a chance to kill Bin Laden dating back the the Clinton administration, but he stopped the operation as the target was being lased.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Snipes_2

The US had a chance to kill Bin Laden dating back the the Clinton administration, but he stopped the operation as the target was being lased.

WhiteKnight77
This is true. Clinton could have actually had him, too bad he canceled it though.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#25 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts
You clearly don't understand. Its got to be a Hollywood ending.Wilfred_Owen
tries to think of a whitty Bruce Willis Die Hard line to say whenever they find Bin Laden...
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaudiFury
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

Snipes_2
This is true. Clinton could have actually had him, too bad he canceled it though.

that's true, just... who the hell knew this was going to be a huge problem for the US at the time. know what i mean?
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

We don't need to kill him, just incarcerate him. Incarceration is worse than death.

face_ripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 face_ripper
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

Bin Laden is clearly unstoppable. Until he dies of old age or a disease, he won't be killed.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

SaudiFury

that's true, just... who the hell knew this was going to be a huge problem for the US at the time. know what i mean?

The problem is Clinton did know as the original attack on the WTC in 1993 was done by Al Qaeda. Anyone with half a brain could figure out he would try again.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Snipes_2

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="Snipes_2"] This is true. Clinton could have actually had him, too bad he canceled it though. WhiteKnight77

The problem is Clinton did know as the original attack on the WTC in 1993 was done by Al Qaeda. Anyone with half a brain could figure out he would try again.

Pretty much.
Warship_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Warship_19
Member since 2010 • 1565 Posts

Bin Laden is clearly unstoppable. Until he dies of old age or a disease, he won't be killed.

face_ripper
I think he's been dead. A man like himself would've come out by now. He hasnt actually been seen or heard from since around 2004. I think he was obliterated by a bombing by the Air Force or something. I truly think we've been looking for a deadman all these years.
Link334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Link334
Member since 2007 • 6082 Posts

We also came incredibly close to capturing him during the assault on Tora Bora,but the government refused to stage a large scale attack with American forces and instead used local militias. Unsuprising, he slipped past the militiamen who were suppose to be stopping his escape into Pakistan.

UnknownSniper65

Yeah, USA does some stupid things...

I just don't understand... what is the reasoning of keeping this guy alive? Isn't he the most wanted man in the world by the USA?

BMD004

lolwut?

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts
If Osama is killed and Al Qaeda falls apart, the funding will be greatly reduced because it will be just about stabilization, plus the support for the war will go way down if there isn't a face of the enemy. So for a lot of people who hold a lot of power, it is advantageous to keep him alive.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SaudiFury
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"] that's true, just... who the hell knew this was going to be a huge problem for the US at the time. know what i mean?Snipes_2

Pretty much.

Really? because i recall 9/11 being a keystone change in attitude the US and the world had to terrorism. the attitude and thinking back before 9/11 was that Terrorism was more of a nuisance then a grave problem. To pin it all on Clinton for not having seen the future is rather silly and dishonost, when comparing to how EVERYONE pretty much thought of terrorism.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Really? because i recall 9/11 being a keystone change in attitude the US and the world had to terrorism. the attitude and thinking back before 9/11 was that Terrorism was more of a nuisance then a grave problem. To pin it all on Clinton for not having seen the future is rather silly and dishonost, when comparing to how EVERYONE pretty much thought of terrorism.SaudiFury

The war on terror has been going on alot longer than most people think. Just because we are seeing alot of what's being done now doesn't mean it wasn't going on before.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WhiteKnight77

[QUOTE="Snipes_2"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

SaudiFury

Pretty much.

Really? because i recall 9/11 being a keystone change in attitude the US and the world had to terrorism. the attitude and thinking back before 9/11 was that Terrorism was more of a nuisance then a grave problem. To pin it all on Clinton for not having seen the future is rather silly and dishonost, when comparing to how EVERYONE pretty much thought of terrorism.

Taking of hostages in Tehran, Achille Lauro, Beirut, discos in Germany, Navy Seal during a hijacking, Pan Am Flt 103, USS Cole are all examples of attacks on Americans dating back to when Jimmy Carter was in office actually and have spanned many Presidents. With the exception of Beirut and Tehran, we went after those who attacked us, one way or the other. Clinton lobbed a couple of cruise missiles into Afghanistan that didn't hit anything worthwhile, but when presented with the chance to take decisive action, he didn't. At least Jimmy Carter tried to rectify the situation.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BMD004

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

Link334

Yeah, USA does some stupid things...

BMD004

lolwut?

He is the most wanted man in the world by the USA. Meaning, out of all of the people in the WORLD, he is the guy that the USA most wants to capture or kill.
R0CKSTAR184

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R0CKSTAR184
Member since 2010 • 156 Posts
Just get Sarah Silverman to run him over. Dilemma Over.
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Collateral damage is a bad thing and the U.S. Military tries to avoid it.

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

BMD004
Him being alive can be used to justify being places we should not be doing things we should not do.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sajo7
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

Snipes_2

Actually Clinton bombed a second Al-Qaeda camp that bin Laden was supposed to head to, but bin Laden abruptly felt like going elsewhere.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sajo7

ImaPirate0202
Then why are we stilling dropping inaccurate bombs down on insurgents that kill civilians as well?
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

Sajo7

Then why are we stilling dropping inaccurate bombs down on insurgents that kill civilians as well?

Read the last four words of my post over and over until they sink in.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

Sajo7

The bombs are accurate, accuracy isn't the problem. Its the Taliban's fighting methods and the fact that the West doesn't have the backbone to do what is necessary to win a war is the major problem . The enemy knows what the rules of engagement are and they use it to their own advantage. The taliban know if they use positions occupied by innocent civilians NATO troops cannot do anything about it without killing civilians. A Large amount of the innocent civilians that have been killed were killed while being used as human shields by the Taliban. The gloves need to come off and we need to start fighting to win. Why are the Taliban sitting (with a captured American soldier) in Pakistan largely unharassed by ground forces? All we have to attack the Taliban in Pakistan are unmanned drones and even then the world cries afoul whenever we use them.

In the words of Douglas MacArthur "War's very object is victory, not prolonged indecision. In war there is no substitute for victory."

If we aren't willing to win at any cost then we should simply leave and not waste anymore lives.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sajo7

[QUOTE="Sajo7"][QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

UnknownSniper65

The bombs are accurate, accuracy isn't the problem. Its the Taliban's fighting methods and the fact that the West doesn't have the backbone to do what is necessary to win a war is the major problem . The enemy knows what the rules of engagement are and they use it to their own advantage. The taliban know if they use positions occupied by innocent civilians NATO troops cannot do anything about it without killing civilians. A Large amount of the innocent civilians that have been killed were killed while being used as human shields by the Taliban. The gloves need to come off and we need to start fighting to win. Why are the Taliban sitting (with a captured American soldier) in Pakistan largely unharassed by ground forces? All we have to attack the Taliban in Pakistan are unmanned drones and even then the world cries afoul whenever we use them.

In the words of Douglas MacArthur "War's very object is victory, not prolonged indecision. In war there is no substitute for victory."

If we aren't willing to win at any cost then we should simply leave and not waste anymore lives.

War at any cost seems to go against every concept of the counter insurgency strategy. If we use total war tactics insurgents will have a much easier time recruiting more insurgents.