The SPOILER filled "why is there not an Infinity War thread yet" thread - Keep it in here!

• 105 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I know it technically comes out today, but most theaters had late showings yesterday. So who's seen it? What are your thoughts? Did you go to a late show last night? Take off work today? Liked it, hated it, wished it had more bat-nipples? Dish!

MOD EDIT: Most of the posters here have the good sense not to ruin the movie for those who didn't see it, so please keep all plot discussions here. If you're not into the Marvel movies, don't be a jerk and ruin things for those who are. Anyone wanting to act the fool and deliberately post spoilers elsewhere on the boards runs the risk of a suspension.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I am burned out on action and violence.

could be because I am 50 but really doesn't interest me anymore

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

It was good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b173a489ba56
deactivated-5b173a489ba56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-5b173a489ba56
Member since 2017 • 367 Posts

It was pretty fun.

The Wakanda fight gave me Phantom Menace flashbacks though.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16877 Posts

Even though it's slow going now, im gonna go ahead and stick this for the weekend, in case this picks up.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

9.5 / 10, the best Marvel movie yet. I didn't care much for the 1st 2 Avengers movies, but this was terrific.

Thanos did the same thing he did in the comics, wiped out half the universe. He tortured Nebula much worse in the comics. I was dissapointed Warlock never showed up, and I was hoping Peter Dinklage would be playing Pip the troll.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

I just realised that Hawkeye wasn't in the movie, lol. I probably wouldn't notice if Black Widow wasn't in it either.

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

This movie is mad trash, i wish i could i could report it to the police for mind assault. I left the theater in a reaaaaaally bad mood because of this movie... :sigh: 10 years down the drain

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58822 Posts

One of the problems I've always had is, the characters feels like a sitcom, with the villains also comedy, with no consequences. Nothing matters. They will obviously do a dues ex machina to screw all that up, but as a "stand alone" movie, it's pretty good.

Think the key difference is Thanos wasn't really intent on killing anyone unless he has to, and when he did, he wasn't exactly jumping over the moon about it. "The Hardest Choices Require the Strongest Wills", is kinda what differentiates him from the usual slog of villains. Who in Marvel movies tend to be sitcom comedy, removing any sense of threat, or pantomime interchangeable. Like that bad guy in GOTG (1), from start to finish, wasn't sure who the **** he was or his name. Beyond "I am bad dood".

Aside from a decent villain (albeit one that could have been developed better), I like that he actually won. The movie manages to be sombre in tone, with essentially half the universe killed, but it's not miserable and joyless about it as DC.

For a movie with so many characters and so much shit going on, it done a pretty good job managing it all. Although, the Wakanda fight probably could have had 5-10 minutes cut out of it. That part dragged, as did the Thor getting the axe with Peter D.

But beyond niggles, way better than expected, easily the best Marvel movie alongside GOTG2.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I love that he won, I wish that they would keep the deaths permanent and them not come back in the next film.

Would be a could move but the result would be deaths would have great meaning in marvel films going forward

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AFBrat77

@thehig1:

They won't permanently kill spiderman, almost all the Guardians, and Black Panther......not gonna happen

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thehig1

@AFBrat77: I know, I'm saying I wish they would makes deaths matter instead of receiving people.

It's gonna be like Dragonball Z in the next movie with the revivals

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
@thehig1 said:

@AFBrat77: I know, I'm saying I wish they would makes deaths matter instead of receiving people.

Haha, that's what I was thinking watching it.

Trying to stop Cell get to his ultimate form. All the sub-characters killed or useless.

-

Haven't read the comic, but presumably someone else uses the gauntlet for an instant reversal? Some shit like that. Could still see 1-2 of them permanently being killed off.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@thehig1 said:

Haha, that's what I was thinking watching it.

Trying to stop Cell get to his ultimate form. All the sub-characters killed or useless.

-

Haven't read the comic, but presumably someone else uses the gauntlet for an instant reversal? Some shit like that. Could still see 1-2 of them permanently being killed off.

Adam Warlock uses the Gauntlet and a major part of the Infinity War storyline, but he hasn't made his debut yet in the MCU besides revealing his cocoon in Guardians vol. 2. Could Adam Warlock appear in the next Avengers? Not sure...although director James Gunn expressed he wants to be the one to bring him into the MCU and he's doing the Guardians movies.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 theone86

@uninspiredcup: @SOedipus: Are you kidding? Black Widow kicked ass! Alright, she had like no development and serve no purpose to the plot, but her fight scenes were awesome.

I think one of the weirdest things about this movie was that they were promising real stakes, delivered on real stakes, but they killed off all of the new characters and left all of the original Avengers alive. Spider-Man dies even though he has a movie already in production, Doctor Strange and Black Panther die even though you know they're going to make sequels for them. Thor, Iron Man, and Cap survive even though all three have expiring contracts and have said they want to stop doing these movies. So you pretty much know that most of the people who died are going to be brought back, people are going to roll their eyes, and then they're going to have to write Cap, Thor, and Stark out anyway. Although I think Gamora is perma-dead, which at least makes some of the stakes real.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I loved it, easily in my top 5 fave MCU movies! Also, dat ending!!!

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AFBrat77

@uninspiredcup:

I have the complete set, but I haven't read them since early 90's, they are packed away in mylar bags.

But if I remember correctly, tortured Nebula gets hold of the gauntlet to make things even worse, as she has been driven mad by Thanos. I personally think Nebula is going to be the biggest player in Thanos downfall, nobody hates him more than she does (especially if she knows of Gamoras death), not even Drax. But where is Warlock? Looks like they may skip him here and just place him in Guardians 3.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

@hallenbeck77: Since this is a sticky thread, can I still make a thread on my box office weekend or do I need to post it in here?

Edit: Never mind, it's early in the morning over here in Atlanta GA, this thread is for IW discussion lol

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Not sure why it took so long for this thread to get ma... oh, wait, OT is dead.

I thought it was perfect. Exactly what I was waiting 9 years for.

I've been seeing critics bitching and moaning about Star Lord getting saddled with all the blame for Thanos "winning", but they seem to be forgetting that Thanos is incredibly strong WITHOUT the gauntlet (he was shown to take out Hulk in the first scene without using the power of the Gauntlet). Had they even been able to wrestle it off him, he would have found a way to get it back. None of the Avengers in attendance would have had the power to handle the Gauntlet with three stones (gems) to use against him. It would have been a glorified game of keep-away.

And with anyone familiar with the Infinity Gauntlet storyline (which this film is entirely based on, quite lovingly in fact), Thanos assembles the Gauntlet and proceeds to eliminate half of the universe's population within the first 14 pages of the book. Then it proceeds to tell the story of how they beat him.

I really, REALLY loved the scene with Thanos and Gamora on Vormir (and RED SKULL!). It portrayed Thanos with a sense of humanity, and yet he was still the monster on his quest for ultimate power and wouldn't stop at anything to get it. I really, really, REALLY hope Gamora stays dead, because her death carried the biggest weight in the movie.

Josh Brolin is fantastic, and Marvel finally broke their streak of terrible villains. When you can get the audience to sympathize with the main antagonist who is seeking destruction for half the life in the universe, that's an achievement.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox

@AFBrat77 said:

I was dissapointed Warlock never showed up

Same. But I have a feeling they are saving him for Part 2. They teased him at the end of Guardians 2, so it's not like they aren't going to use him. He is the reason in IG that they can actually come back to "win".

@GiveMeSomething said:

This movie is mad trash, i wish i could i could report it to the police for mind assault. I left the theater in a reaaaaaally bad mood because of this movie... :sigh: 10 years down the drain

Have you read the Infinity Gauntlet comic? Because I've been noticing people who are complaining about this movie know little to nothing about it.

@thehig1 said:

@uninspiredcup: I love that he won, I wish that they would keep the deaths permanent and them not come back in the next film.

Would be a could move but the result would be deaths would have great meaning in marvel films going forward

Certain deaths have to remain permanent. Most won't, because that's not how IG works. Gamora, Vision and Loki have to stay dead for sure. Their deaths occurred before Thanos used the Time Stone and are central to the assembly of the Gauntlet.

@theone86 said:

@uninspiredcup: @SOedipus: Are you kidding? Black Widow kicked ass! Alright, she had like no development and serve no purpose to the plot, but her fight scenes were awesome.

I think one of the weirdest things about this movie was that they were promising real stakes, delivered on real stakes, but they killed off all of the new characters and left all of the original Avengers alive. Spider-Man dies even though he has a movie already in production, Doctor Strange and Black Panther die even though you know they're going to make sequels for them. Thor, Iron Man, and Cap survive even though all three have expiring contracts and have said they want to stop doing these movies. So you pretty much know that most of the people who died are going to be brought back, people are going to roll their eyes, and then they're going to have to write Cap, Thor, and Stark out anyway. Although I think Gamora is perma-dead, which at least makes some of the stakes real.

I have a feeling that any "deaths" that occur between Thanos' "snap" and the Warlock/reversing "snap" will be permanent, and will signal the passing of the torch onto the next Phase of movies. Essentially, anyone who survived is fair game for elimination.

And Thanos didn't kill any of them, he made them cease to exist (there is a difference, because those that died before the snap may not be able to be revived with the power of the Gauntlet). The people he actually killed were limited to Loki, Gamora and Vision. I have a strong feeling that he's going to be killing a lot more in the next movie.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theone86

@foxhound_fox: Yeah, I know, I just think it's kind of weird that everyone's praising this movie for having real stakes when most of the people who died (and given Peter's last scene I'm very comfortable using the word "died") are going to come back and most of the people who survived are probably going to die. I think there are a lot of people who will be pissed at Avengers 4 for undoing the biggest comic book movie deaths yet. But I agree about the people who died before the snap.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox

@theone86 said:

@foxhound_fox: Yeah, I know, I just think it's kind of weird that everyone's praising this movie for having real stakes when most of the people who died (and given Peter's last scene I'm very comfortable using the word "died") are going to come back and most of the people who survived are probably going to die. I think there are a lot of people who will be pissed at Avengers 4 for undoing the biggest comic book movie deaths yet. But I agree about the people who died before the snap.

As much as the writers/directors said they were making them "two distinct movies" they are going to be completely interconnected. I think the ending of Part 1 really was what they were trying to achieve. Thanos "won" and then it was over (lots of people in my theatre were freaking out when the credits rolled, I was internally applauding). I really like the fact they broke convention and let the villain win in the end, because technically Thanos was originally designed as an unbeatable villain, and was supposed to win. IIRC, Stan Lee had a problem with that, lol.

Part 2 will carry all the stakes. LOTS of people are going to die. Nebula is going to die, likely brutally. Stark and Rogers are going, because they have to retire and pass the torch to the next phase. Hulk is going to be the climactic physical fight with Thanos, after Banner spends nearly the whole movie trying to coax him out, and it'll be some sort of "last promise" that Banner never uses him again, just "one more time". Ultimately making Banner a useless character (I don't think they can legitimately "kill" Hulk off, technically).

Thor is likely going to die, in another climactic battle, maybe in possession of the Power Stone? Hard to say, considering I have no idea how closely the next movie is going to run in line with the comics.

But they are probably going to have Captain Marvel as the means to fight Thanos, and maybe Warlock will show up, maybe not. I'd like it to be Warlock, but in today's age of "women empowerment" it'll probably be Danvers.

--

And I completely forgot about Heimdall's death. His will be permanent as well. He was the reason Hulk made it to Earth to warn everyone.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 thehig1

@foxhound_fox: I know all the deaths from Thanos Finger snap will come back, what I'm saying is how bold a move would it be if they kept it permanent.

I understand why they have to come back, partly because they do in the comics and also there is too much money to be made, there is a new Gaurdians, Spiderman Film and others still to come.

However I do think it from a pure plot standpoint this cheapens death getting near to Dragonball Z levels.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator

I totally forgot to tell you my impression guys.

Avengers Infinity War was sooo good, it's making me wanna go rewatch it again now. Thanos lives to the hype we were promise 6 years ago, it delivers. I think Ebony Maw was my favorite character, every line of his was so damn cool, as was his TK abilities. I was disappointed he was killed off so early.

The Hulk was a Bitch! My God I never see the Hulk get so scared to fight lesser foes. Movie is damn fantastic. Thanos straight up wins and it’s not even close. The good guys lose hard. The entire movie, including the credits, feels like it’s pounding into your head just how fucked everything is. Obviously we all know the final movie will be heroic and awesome and all that, but major props to them for having the guts to make this one a haunting ending for the time being.

Give Josh Brolin an Oscar. His Thanos>Ledger’s Joker. He was on par with Lord Vader himself. Unreal stuff! Brolin played a great Thanos. even though it is a culmination of all of the previous MCU movies, it felt more like a Thanos movie, him getting all the stones and battling the heroes.

I'd give it a 9/10, not perfect but no complaints. I'm really glad they're able to pull it off. those were heavy expectations. My only real issue was that the Black Order had pretty much zero characterization other then Ebony Maw, he was the only Black Order that stood out the most due to his TK powers and was on par with Dr. Strange.

Edit: After watching IW, I'm not even excited for Ant-Man & the Wasp movie coming this July at all. i was looking forward to the newest Ant-Man movie but IW feel up my appetite for these Marvel films as it is and it doesn't help Deadpool 2 is right around the corner as well :(

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2028 Posts

I'm so happy that marvel finally got an awesome badass villain. And he won

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127500 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Not sure why it took so long for this thread to get ma... oh, wait, OT is dead.

I thought it was perfect. Exactly what I was waiting 9 years for.

I've been seeing critics bitching and moaning about Star Lord getting saddled with all the blame for Thanos "winning", but they seem to be forgetting that Thanos is incredibly strong WITHOUT the gauntlet (he was shown to take out Hulk in the first scene without using the power of the Gauntlet). Had they even been able to wrestle it off him, he would have found a way to get it back. None of the Avengers in attendance would have had the power to handle the Gauntlet with three stones (gems) to use against him. It would have been a glorified game of keep-away.

And with anyone familiar with the Infinity Gauntlet storyline (which this film is entirely based on, quite lovingly in fact), Thanos assembles the Gauntlet and proceeds to eliminate half of the universe's population within the first 14 pages of the book. Then it proceeds to tell the story of how they beat him.

I really, REALLY loved the scene with Thanos and Gamora on Vormir (and RED SKULL!). It portrayed Thanos with a sense of humanity, and yet he was still the monster on his quest for ultimate power and wouldn't stop at anything to get it. I really, really, REALLY hope Gamora stays dead, because her death carried the biggest weight in the movie.

Josh Brolin is fantastic, and Marvel finally broke their streak of terrible villains. When you can get the audience to sympathize with the main antagonist who is seeking destruction for half the life in the universe, that's an achievement.

I knew it. Long time since I saw Captain America and that red guy looked awfully familiar.

I also hope they keep Gamora dead, however I do not want see Loki and Heimdall remain dead. Being from Norse mythologi and all that.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foxhound_fox

@horgen: That's the thing about Norse mythology, the gods, all of them but two, are destined to die in Ragnarok. Not that Marvel follows the Norse tradition that closely, but their deaths would have value.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jaydan

Did anyone **** up more than Star-Lord in this movie?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 theone86

@davillain-: @foxhound_fox: Funny you mention the two part thing, the movie I thought of after seeing Infinity War was The Desolation of Smaug. Not necessarily in a bad way, just in the "this is a massive cliffhanger that won't be resolved for an entire year" sort of way. I kinda knew that going in, but it still kinda bothered me. That being said, the ending was better than Smaug.

Funny you should mention the gods dying, too. That was something Kirby always pushed for in the comics, but always got a red light for. First with the Norse gods at Marvel, then with the New Gods at DC, then with the Celestials at Marvel. It's funny that the movies are allowing the storylines to air that never saw the light of day in the comics. I think it would be awesome if we could see Natalie Portman take up the Thor mantle onscreen.

I actually think Hulk's problem has more to do with what happened in Ragnarok than with being afraid of Thanos. He loved being a gladiator on Sakaar, he loved being in control of his own body for once. Banner took that away from him to play hero, then called him back to get his ass kicked by Thanos. I think Hulk is more sick of doing all the work whenever Banner needs him and getting put back in his mind than he is scared of Thanos.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The movie was insane.

9/10

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jaydan

I think the most fascinating cliffhanger in the movie is with Doctor Strange stating there's only one outcome out of all where the Avengers succeed. He previously stated he'd let Tony Stark and Peter Parker die if it meant protecting the Time Stone...so when Tony Stark is literally about to die, Doctor Strange spares Tony by handing over the Time Stone and a couple more times states there there is only one possible outcome.

What do you guys think that possibly means? Is there only one where the Avengers succeed under the circumstance that Tony Stark is kept alive? What kind of plan is Doctor Strange on?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator

@jaydan said:

I think the most fascinating cliffhanger in the movie is with Doctor Strange stating there's only one outcome out of all where the Avengers succeed. He previously stated he'd let Tony Stark and Peter Parker die if it meant protecting the Time Stone...so when Tony Stark is literally about to die, Doctor Strange spares Tony by handing over the Time Stone and a couple more times states there there is only one possible outcome.

What do you guys think that possibly means? Is there only one where the Avengers succeed under the circumstance that Tony Stark is kept alive? What kind of plan is Doctor Strange on?

Note: did you watch the ending credits after the movie? If not, I'm gonna lay it down and say. (Spoilers if you have not watch the secret scene at the end)

Nick Fury was driving, minding his own business and he knows what's happening in NY/Wakanda situation, Nick sees everyone turning to ashes, even his partner. Nick reach for his pager and right before he vanish, he's trying to page....Captain Marvel! Yes, I assume Dr. Strange is referring to Captain Marvel as she's Marvel's Superman/Girl in the Marvel comics, Captain Marvel will have a huge role in Avengers 4 and I'm taking a guess Dr. Strange spare Tony as he'll have a big role with Captain Marvel but we shall see.

First thing's first, we gotta get Captain Marvel movie out of the way first before moving on to Avengers 4.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jaydan

@davillain-: Yeah I saw the post-credit scene. Do you think that was the one occurrence that Doctor Strange saw that will save the world? Had he not handed over the Time Stone, half of humanity would not have been disintegrated Nick Fury would not have sent out that distress signal.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 theone86
@jaydan said:

That's a detail I missed while watching, but saw the logic of it afterwards. I originally thought Strange talked a lot about being willing to sacrifice Stark, but couldn't when he saw him about to die. It's totally in character for him, though, to be willing to sacrifice people, but not Stark because he knew he was part of the key to saving the world. If you want speculation based on set photos and other inside information:

Hiddleston was shown on set in his Loki getup from Avengers 1, so given that and the fact that the original Avengers survive the speculation is that they're involved in some sort of time travel plot to stop Thanos in Avengers 4.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jaydan
@theone86 said:
@jaydan said:

That's a detail I missed while watching, but saw the logic of it afterwards. I originally thought Strange talked a lot about being willing to sacrifice Stark, but couldn't when he saw him about to die. It's totally in character for him, though, to be willing to sacrifice people, but not Stark because he knew he was part of the key to saving the world. If you want speculation based on set photos and other inside information:

Hiddleston was shown on set in his Loki getup from Avengers 1, so given that and the fact that the original Avengers survive the speculation is that they're involved in some sort of time travel plot to stop Thanos in Avengers 4.

I believe there is a lot more to Doctor Strange's decision to save Stark than his morals getting in the way. I don't think Tony Stark mattered to Strange as much as the Time Stone does.

When Doctor Strange first really gets acquainted with Stark and Parker, he pretty quickly clarifies that when it comes down to it he is willing to let either of them die if it meant protecting the Time Stone. This was his words before he later on uses the Time Stone to see every possible outcome into the future. He said out of every trillion or whatever possible outcomes the Avengers will always lose except for one possible outcome.

So when Thanos gets to them and he's about to impale Tony Stark to death and Doctor Strange intervenes by offering the Time Stone to spare Stark, he gives it right to Thanos... I forget what he said verbatim but it was kinda ambiguous but he said "There's only one outcome" when he looked at Tony Stark with his cryptic explanation.

Doctor Strange one more time says "there's only one possible outcome" before he disintegrates.

Doctor Strange clearly set up a big plan and part of that plan was letting Thanos win this battle. I think Doctor Strange's logic is ultimately "you may win the battle this time, but you won't win the war."

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 uninspiredcup

Someone posted this in Discord.

Loading Video...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 horgen  Moderator

@foxhound_fox said:

@horgen: That's the thing about Norse mythology, the gods, all of them but two, are destined to die in Ragnarok. Not that Marvel follows the Norse tradition that closely, but their deaths would have value.

Well I know. But I kinda like them alive.

@jaydan said:

@davillain-: Yeah I saw the post-credit scene. Do you think that was the one occurrence that Doctor Strange saw that will save the world? Had he not handed over the Time Stone, half of humanity would not have been disintegrated Nick Fury would not have sent out that distress signal.

He would have lost the stone anyway.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Oooooh man. Just saw the movie. It's a 9/10. Damn it marvel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

When Thanos gets the souls stone, did anyone get a Dark Souls/Bloodborne vibe? Its not only me right?

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

I love the movie. Saw it on opening day. I think Captain, Tony and couple more folks will actually die in the next movie. What i know is the next movie is going to be super intense. This one had my jaw drop the first 3 minutes.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@jaydan said:

Looks to me like it has more to do with Tony Stark playing a role in saving everyone's asses. He specifically hands over the time stone once Thanos assures him that Tony Stark gets spared.

Hell, he could have just continued to fight Thanos and lost. Then Thanos would get the time stone anyway. Of course, by that time Tony Stark would be dead. Which seems to be specifically what Dr Strange was trying to prevent.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

@jaydan said:

I don't think so. He had two chances to prevent Thanos from achieving his goal, but was not able to see the plans through.

Side note: I wouldn't be too surprised if all who survived/the original avengers have to give their lives as a bargain to bring back/save those who ashed out/died. This would be the easiest way to replace the "original" MCU Avengers w/ the new ones of the next phase of the MCU plan.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jaydan

@shellcase86 said:
@jaydan said:

I don't think so. He had two chances to prevent Thanos from achieving his goal, but was not able to see the plans through.

Side note: I wouldn't be too surprised if all who survived/the original avengers have to give their lives as a bargain to bring back/save those who ashed out/died. This would be the easiest way to replace the "original" MCU Avengers w/ the new ones of the next phase of the MCU plan.

Now that it's been a week and I've definitely let the movie sink in (there's more to digest here than other MCU films), I've considered Star-Lord was meant to react that way and later on it will secretly have a positive effect. If Doctor Strange really looked into 14 million possible outcomes to the conflict, he must have seen this event ahead of time yet he did not say anything any let it happen. In the reality which they succeed Star-Lord must have reacted the way he did to let Thanos keep the gauntlet.

With further consideration, even if the Avengers managed to remove the Gauntlet, Thanos would have gone on a rampage until he gets it back and likely killing everyone anyways. I think Star-Lord fucking up at that moment was secretly a good move on his part.

Next movie we know Tony Stark and Nebula will be teamed up cause they were left alone, and I think that's very interesting to consider as well because Nebula had her monologue in Guardians Vol. 2 to kill Thanos, and the series has a lot of foreshadowing and I have a hunch that was a foreshadow.

With her and Tony alive, both of them are major key players in basically this chess game being set up. With Tony, I think his likely path is meeting up with Steve Rogers cause they have yet to make up to their problems in Civil War. It's crucial the narrative brings them back together, or at least make the urgency of them reuniting since the two of them have been the heart of the MCU.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 horgen  Moderator

@shellcase86 said:
@jaydan said:

Imo wrap it up. Can always make a standalone film for some of the other characters, but I think the main story is over with part 2.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jaydan

@horgen said:
@shellcase86 said:
@jaydan said:

Imo wrap it up. Can always make a standalone film for some of the other characters, but I think the main story is over with part 2.

Yep. After Avengers 4 it's the official end of basically the first era of the MCU. We just have three movies left - Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel and Avengers 4.

Kevin Feige and other leads have stated the MCU have 20 films already planned after Avengers 4 although the next era will be distinctively different from the first.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator

@jaydan said:

Yep. After Avengers 4 it's the official end of basically the first era of the MCU. We just have three movies left - Ant-Man and the Wasp, Captain Marvel and Avengers 4.

Kevin Feige and other leads have stated the MCU have 20 films already planned after Avengers 4 although the next era will be distinctively different from the first.

Captain Marvel I am interested in as well Avengers 4. The other not so much. Still haven't seen Black Panther, Iron Man 2-3, Civil War... Damn there are many I ahven't seen.

Talk about milking it if they have 20 films planned already.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AFBrat77

Telling you guys, keep an eye on Nebula in the next movie, she wasn't dusted, and for those of you who read the Infinity Gauntlet series, well.......

I don't think Marvel is milking it, I think they have plenty of stories to tell. Milking it to me means going through the motions without inspiration just because people will buy into it. Marvel movies I think are generally 8 out of 10 or better movies consistently.

They need to get a proper Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer/Galactus thing going.....hell even Black Panther got his start in FF when he invited Reed Richards to Wakanda (Fantastic Four #52)

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jaydan

@horgen said:
@jaydan said:

Captain Marvel I am interested in as well Avengers 4. The other not so much. Still haven't seen Black Panther, Iron Man 2-3, Civil War... Damn there are many I ahven't seen.

Talk about milking it if they have 20 films planned already.

"Milking it" really brings a dilemma when applied to the MCU. While most people are willing to recognize the MCU as a franchise, not a lot of people have recognized what it really is, and that it is a fully functioning movie studio. This was pretty much Stan Lee's dream project, he was trying to start a studio for decades to create cinema based on "action heroes" before Disney picked it up. Any movie studio at any time would have a steady schedule of movies to release over a timeline and Marvel is no different. Marvel had their first 20 films all planned out too, but considering it was their first time doing this I don't think audiences fully caught on to how they are running things until a couple phases in.

I just can't bring myself to believe Marvel is milking any of their franchises when their films are eagerly waited on and demanded by fans and moviegoers alike. If people are really surprised that Marvel is pumping out all these films then maybe they never understood Marvel's plan in the first place. Milking it would mean that with any little bit of success they will try to squeeze every little bit of money out of that piece they could, yet they don't necessarily show those symptoms. Sure they're making a shit-ton of money but they're not making money in a way where they're squeezing the life out of their franchises.