warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5955 Posts

Does anybody feel this way? keep in mind this isn't just because of Covid-19. I always found it almost impossible to enjoy the present there has been times I have enjoyed it of course but it never lasted and it was more when I was younger. For me most of the time now I'm extremely nostalgic about the past or thinking about life regrets from it. And on the flip side of my mind is thinking about the future either worrying about things or thinking about futuristic tech silly I know. The present just feels like nothing most of the time there is a good video on youtube that explains this. Anybody else have this mindset?

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 232 Posts

Man it is wild that I stumbled upon this as that is exactly how I have been feeling and thinking lately. My whole life I have always been nostalgic but now I feel it more so.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3491 Posts

I have the same feeling but something I found to help is during times of enjoyment in the present to self talk about how this is enjoyable and that in the future I'll think about this and how fun it was. I've got little ones at the moment, I use a similar technique to make sure I enjoy the time I've got with them now, because they are growing up so fast.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 10204 Posts

I have been feeling like this for some years now. As a result, I'm very nostalgic of the past, when times were simpler and I had a more balanced and positive outlook on life.

netracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 netracing  Online
Member since 2018 • 568 Posts

Learning mindfulness through meditation is a very good way of gradually training your mind to live in the now instead of the past or future. Imo the ability to live I the now is very important to living a happier life. Give the meditation a go, there are free apps for phones as a starter.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 20342 Posts

My girlfriend helps me live in the present when we go out.

Gives me that nostalgic feeling I had with my childhood best friend. I guess it helps that we both act childish at times.

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 153 Posts

It's been like that for me for the past 11 years,all you can hope for is the best as distant as it may be

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 47956 Posts

My problem isn't so much that I don't live in the present, it's that I don't really look forward to the future.

I enjoy the present but it's always soured by the fact I don't have any significant goals, dream, and ambitions. Like "Well, this was fun....now what?"

kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1236 Posts

Not allowing oneself to live in the present can be the result of many different reasons.

In my case when I was failing multiple courses in college, during my confused-/breakdown period. Even when I got back in to college with full strength I was always worried about what the future would bring me.

Today I am more confident and I know what kind of difference I can make for myself given how much work I put in to it and how I approach it. So in my case, having control over my life and achieving a greater understanding of myself has allowed me to live in the present.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5584 Posts

Well time never stops, so the present doesn't exist.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2601 Posts

Yeah, I've always been a nostalgic person myself. It's a beautiful thing that I hope to never lose, haha. But, at the same time I think it's bittersweet for me.

I feel as if I was a lot happier and more confident in general in my mid-to-late teen years. These days, my coping mechanisms for a lot of things have been drastically different and my mind races at night. Haven't had a good sleep in a while even though I try to keep active during the day.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6602 Posts

I remember my professor taught the concept called "flow": being engaged in a activity that gets your mind fully immersed in it. I guess that's how some people manage to live in the present moment.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 2601 Posts

@one_plum said:

I remember my professor taught the concept called "flow": being engaged in a activity that gets your mind fully immersed in it. I guess that's how some people manage to live in the present moment.

Yeah, this is always good to keep in mind too.