The King of Wakanda AKA Black Panther wins the weekend box office! (Update for February 23-25)

• 75 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts
  1. Black Panther - $192.0 Million (new release)
  2. Peter Rabbit - $17.2 Million
  3. Fifty Shades: Freed - $16.9 Million)
  4. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - $7.9 Million
  5. The 15:17 to Paris - $7.6 Million
  6. The Greatest Showman - $5.1 Million
  7. Early Man - $3.1 Million (new release)
  8. Maze Runner: The Death Cure - $2.5 Million
  9. Winchester - $2.2 Million
  10. Samson - $1.9 Million (new release)

Black Panther winning this weekend was no surprise at all. Got a lot of hype and ever since his introduction in Civil War, we all knew his standalone movie was gonna be freaking awesome and it paid off. Black Panther was a fresh new Marvel hero which is nothing like the other Marvel movies and I haven't been this impress since Blade movies.

Nice to see the Greatest Showman is still doing well and same goes for Jumanji.

February 16-18 mojo's box office weekend

(Update: February 23-25 box office weekend)

1. Black Panther - $108.0 Million
  2. Game Night - 16.6 Million (new release)
  3. Peter Rabbit - 12.5 Million
  4. Annihilation - 11.0 Million (new release)
  5. Fifty Shades Freed - 6.9 Million
  6. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - $5.6 Million
  7. The 15:17 to Paris - $3.6 Million
  8. The Greatest Showman - $3.4 Million
  9. Every Day - $3.1 Million (new release)
  10. Early Man - $1.7 Million

Didn't really see anything this week, might go check out Annihilation somewhere down the line, but other then that, another victory for Black Panther. Also, Jumanji staying in the top 10 for almost 2 months is proof that Star Wars: The Last Jedi was such a huge disappointment, it should have stayed in top 10 despite it was release December 2017.

February 23-25 mojo's box office weekend

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

That is a big sum it took in there in the first weekend.

But amazing that nr.3 still stays that high on the box office list.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

Suck on that one racist trolls

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jacanuk

@davillain-: That picture is why I never go to a theatre lol :D but poor whoever needs to clean up after a Fifty shade showing.

Even if the seats appear clean they can be a bug infested hole of dirt.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

they are NEVER clean, this is one of the few opportune times when a pic was taken when the seat had some illumination on it.. go use your camerphone on flash and take a pic of a seat, any seat, and you will be enlightened.

The sad part is, and i posted something similar before but it got yanked for some bizzare reason, is that once 50 shades finishes its run, another movie, quite possibly a kid-friendly movie like Shrek 9, will play in that theatre room, u want our kiddies sitting in a seat after a 50 shades fanlady f'd up the chair with her juices?? I can see a one use poncho or hazmat suit being useful here

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

Great movie, Black Panther

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jacanuk

@multiplat said:

they are NEVER clean, this is one of the few opportune times when a pic was taken when the seat had some illumination on it.. go use your camerphone on flash and take a pic of a seat, any seat, and you will be enlightened.

The sad part is, and i posted something similar before but it got yanked for some bizzare reason, is that once 50 shades finishes its run, another movie, quite possibly a kid-friendly movie like Shrek 9, will play in that theatre room, u want our kiddies sitting in a seat after a 50 shades fanlady f'd up the chair with her juices?? I can see a one use poncho or hazmat suit being useful here

LOL

It reminds me of a local movie theatre who posted a tweet after a Fifty shade showing, where they had cucumbers still in the plastic left behind.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

It's not the 10/10 that rotten tomatoes claimed it to be.

Still a great movie. Wish it had a bit more action though.

I know for sure Alt Righters will get triggered by the subtext in this film. There is some truth to it.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

alt right got pissed off by Black Panther lmao.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

That is a big sum it took in there in the first weekend.

But amazing that nr.3 still stays that high on the box office list.

Bigger than what was anticipated--it was slated to make between $140-155 mil initially, but Friday's take blew away that estimate.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Well deserved, up there with MCU's best movies!

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Nice! looking forward to the bluray release. :)

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

@davillain-: I'll probably see it when it hits Netflix or something. Looks alright, though all the critics claiming this is the coming of Jesus or some such nonsense is a bit over much. It's a damn super hero movie for Christ sake. Though I will admit that the black panther suit looks cooler than any of the other hero costume in the MCU.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

@ruthaford_jive said:

@davillain-: I'll probably see it when it hits Netflix or something. Looks alright, though all the critics claiming this is the coming of Jesus or some such nonsense is a bit over much. It's a damn super hero movie for Christ sake. Though I will admit that the black panther suit looks cooler than any of the other hero costume in the MCU.

Don't let the critics get to you. Black Panther does extremely well in it's own ways compare to other Marvel hero's and if you standalone Marvel films like Blade or Ghost Rider, Black Panther is kinda like that, does it's own thing.

It maybe possible it'll come to Netflix since Dr. Strange is already on Netflix.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

I just hope it doesn't feel like Captain America. That movie dragged on so long, after getting deep into it I kept wondering why the movie wasn't over yet

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@davillain- said:

It maybe possible it'll come to Netflix since Dr. Strange is already on Netflix.

I think it's a maybe, as all of the Marvel and Star Wars movies are being pulled from Netflix next year for Disney's upcoming streaming service.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Your filled with too much hate to be king

Wakanda Forever

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@davillain-:

Wait. So all this time your box office results only covers domestic numbers.

Because worldwide it did over $350m on a $200m+ budget.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@davillain-: Definitely coming to Netflix. They get MCU streaming rights through 2018. New releases after that will likely go to Disney's new service (unless negotiated otherwise).

https://www.polygon.com/2018/2/7/16982030/disney-leaving-netflix-marvel-lucasfilm-pixar-streaming-rights

Disney’s deal with Netflix will end up covering films released in theaters from 2016 through 2018, and a Netflix spokesperson told Polygon in August that the company will retain streaming rights to the movies in question through 2019. In other words, Netflix subscribers in the U.S. will still be able to stream films such as Rogue One until at least the beginning of 2020.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@PSP107 said:

Most news sites usually only give domestic totals unless otherwise stated. I think the reason for that is because there are multiple international release dates; the movie has yet to still open in China and Japan, for example.

And the totals as of last night are $235 mil domestic, and $169 mil international, bring the overall total to date to $404 million.

How much you wanna bet across town in Burbank, Warner Bros. executives are f-ing livid over Marvel's success...again?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#23 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:
@PSP107 said:

Most news sites usually only give domestic totals unless otherwise stated. I think the reason for that is because there are multiple international release dates; the movie has yet to still open in China and Japan, for example.

And the totals as of last night are $235 mil domestic, and $169 mil international, bring the overall total to date to $404 million.

How much you wanna bet across town in Burbank, Warner Bros. executives are f-ing livid over Marvel's success...again?

An opening weekend gross of $404 million would give Black Panther the highest opening ever for a superhero movie.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Jag85 said:

An opening weekend gross of $404 million would give Black Panther the highest opening ever for a superhero movie.

That's $404 million overall, including international markets. Hollywood primarily looks at the domestic take first and foremost (weird, I know). At any rate, it has the 2nd best opening weekend overall, just under The Avengers, which opened to $207 mil (US) its opening weekend--and that was the first weekend of the 2012 summer movie season. Pulling in the money it has in the middle of February was unheard of until now--imagine if it had a summer slot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:
@Jag85 said:

That's $404 million overall, including international markets. Hollywood primarily looks at the domestic take first and foremost (weird, I know). At any rate, it has the 2nd best opening weekend overall, just under The Avengers, which opened to $207 mil (US) its opening weekend--and that was the first weekend of the 2012 summer movie season. Pulling in the money it has in the middle of February was unheard of until now--imagine if it had a summer slot.

I think infinity war will surpass it.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Gamerno6666 said:

I think infinity war will surpass it.

Probably a given. But the fact that it brought in just about 6 mil under what the first Avengers movie did its opening weekend--in the dead middle of winter nonetheless--is amazing.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jacanuk

@Jag85 said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@PSP107 said:

Nope, the highest grossing superhero movie is Batman vs Superman.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Jacanuk said:

Highest grossing opening weekend, yes. In its first few days It made $422 million internationally worldwide, but the dropoff the following weekend was massive.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jacanuk

@hallenbeck77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

Highest grossing opening weekend, yes. In its first few days It made $422 million internationally worldwide, but the dropoff the following weekend was massive.

Yep, it did well in the first week but as it goes with a terrible movie, it died quickly.

But Black Panther is doing well, and it will be interesting to see the sequel does the same or if it was more due to the current climate and the hype over a new superhero movie. After years of superhero reruns.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jag85

@hallenbeck77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

And here I thought it was The Avengers that previously had the highest-grossing opening weekend. But it makes sense why Batman vs Superman holds the record, even though the movie is trash.

However, it's worth noting that Black Panther hasn't released yet in China, whereas Batman vs Superman released the same day in China, which added $57.2 million according to that source. Excluding China, Batman vs Superman's opening weekend would've been $362.8 million.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jag85

For those curious about the demographic breakdown of Black Panther's US audiences, according to comScore...

Weekend Box Office: 'Black Panther' Bounds to Record-Shattering $235M-Plus Bow

Ethnic breakdown:

• 37% African-American (normally 15% for superhero movies)
  • 35% Caucasian
  • 18% Hispanic
  • 10% Other

Gender breakdown:

• 55% male (normally 60-65% for superhero movies)
  • 45% female (normally 35-40% for superhero movies)

Seems like the high turnout of minorities (especially African-Americans) and women helped drive Black Panther's record opening in the US.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

We missed it this weekend because I accidentally bought tickets for the wrong day. This'll be me and the wife next weekend:

And one more just for good measure. If I fits, I sits:

-Byshop

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

I just got back from seeing Black Panther and I was blown away. I dunno, I am getting tired because I feel like I'm just saying that for every MCU film now, but truth be told they're constantly expanding the universe and raising the bar in significant ways, and Black Panther might as well be the best solo film since the first Iron Man. I can see it being the most significant since then without a doubt.

One thing I'm very interested in seeing developed: I anticipate the day Tony Stark and Bruce Banner meet Shuri and her schooling both of them.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@jaydan: Shuri the next Iron Man after Tony Stark?..haven't seen Black Panther..but seems that way from people talking about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

@Jag85: considering the sjw presence surrounding this film , i’m sure they’ll mostly find this pretty important.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DaVillain  Moderator

@Jag85: For some reasons, Bom didn't cover the 4 days weekend holiday and don't know why. $235 million is what i been hearing it's the real deal. Ever since Civil War started, Black Panther introduction was well receive and everyone was looking forward to his standalone movie.

@superbuuman said:

@jaydan: Shuri the next Iron Man after Tony Stark?..haven't seen Black Panther..but seems that way from people talking about it.

Actually, Disney fans are all demanding Shuri to be the next Disney Princess since she was born to a royal family and still is currently a Princess. She's more fitted for Princess then just another tech savvy.

@hallenbeck77 said:
@Jacanuk said:

That's really impressive on the internationally worldwide.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@davillain-: I can see her getting the Princess brand. I can see she's on route of becoming a fan-favorite character in the MCU. Her charisma and intelligence was just a winning formula. I thought in many ways she stole the show whenever she was on screen. I could imagine them building a Black Panther ride at Disneyland based on her holographic vehicle tech.

@superbuuman:Something like that, but I also wanna see her in the same room as Stark and Banner because between the three of them they're the smartest people in the MCU, and I could just imagine the jealousy of Tony Stark or whatever his cockiness usually inclines him to behave.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44102 Posts

Nice. Marvel has been absolutely killing it with their movies, can’t wait to see this one too.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Shout out to Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle for being in the top five for as long as it has been.

Also no surprise to Black Panther. Going to watch tomorrow.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jag85

@davillain-:

Seems like BOM is only counting the 3-day weekend.

As mentioned above, Black Panther hasn't released in China and Japan yet, whereas Batman vs Superman did release in those territories in its opening weekend. Excluding its opening in China ($57.2 million) and Japan ($4.5 million), Batman vs Superman opened with $360.3 million in all other territories, less than Black Panther.

ruthaford_jive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ruthaford_jive
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

@davillain-: Yeah, I'm sure it'll be decent.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Black Panther is justly called one of Marvel's best movies. Worth seeing.

Lupita Nyong'o is absolutely beautiful.

Black Panther = 9.0 / 10

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10416 Posts

i thought it was good but some distance from great.

i won't go into detail for those who are yet to see it but i felt the protag and antag weren't particularly well fleshed out as characters, the plot was predictable and the fight scenes were largely underwhelming. some iffy cgi in places too.

but it was fun, easy to watch and had a really imaginative sci-fi infused world. certain elements within should have an interesting impact on future marvel universe films too. definitely worth a watch but not deserving of all the lavish praise it's received. it'd probably just about scrape a 7/10 from me

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

Due to the kinda same results from last week and this thread is still fresh, I'll just update the OP this week's box office and not wasting resource making another thread.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jag85

Black Panther's second weekend is the second highest ever at the US box office, behind only The Force Awakens. Worldwide, Black Panther has grossed $704 million by the end of its second weekend, pushing the MCU franchise past $14 billion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PSP107

@Jag85 said:

For those curious about the demographic breakdown of Black Panther's US audiences, according to comScore...

Weekend Box Office: 'Black Panther' Bounds to Record-Shattering $235M-Plus Bow

Ethnic breakdown:

• 37% African-American (normally 15% for superhero movies)
  • 35% Caucasian
  • 18% Hispanic
  • 10% Other

Gender breakdown:

• 55% male (normally 60-65% for superhero movies)
  • 45% female (normally 35-40% for superhero movies)

Seems like the high turnout of minorities (especially African-Americans) and women helped drive Black Panther's record opening in the US.

So you think Hollywood is looking at this data and might produce more films around minority cast members.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AFBrat77

@PSP107:

One things for sure, this movie certainly pulled African-Americans into MCU, Marvel should make it clear the Black Panther will be in the next Avengers movie.

But as far as I know, Marvel doesn't have many African-American heroes, though I'm old-school Marvel, so I just remember Black Panther, Powerman (Luke Cage), and Caps sidekick The Falcon, and they are accounted for.

One things for sure, they have to have a sequel to BP. Excellent movie. I'll see it a 2nd time next week.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jag85
@AFBrat77 said:

@PSP107:

One things for sure, this movie certainly pulled African-Americans into MCU, Marvel should make it clear the Black Panther will be in the next Avengers movie.

But as far as I know, Marvel doesn't have many African-American heroes, though I'm old-school Marvel, so I just remember Black Panther, Powerman (Luke Cage), and Caps sidekick The Falcon, and they are accounted for.

One things for sure, they have to have a sequel to BP. Excellent movie. I'll see it a 2nd time next week.

You forgot about Marvel's most famous African-American superhero:

Blade

In the late '90s, a decade before MCU began, Blade was the first serious, violent, superhero blockbuster for grown-ups, paving the way for the superhero boom of the early 21st century. There are rumours floating around that Blade could be making a comeback in the MCU (although it's unlikely Wesley Snipes would be playing him).

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AFBrat77

@Jag85:

Yes, Blade was after my Marvel comics time, he wasn't around then. But yeah, he's another.

Actually Blade was around then, but I didn't read Tomb of Dracula much.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PSP107

@Jag85 said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@PSP107:

You forgot about Marvel's most famous African-American superhero:

Blade

In the late '90s, a decade before MCU began, Blade was the first serious, violent, superhero blockbuster for grown-ups, paving the way for the superhero boom of the early 21st century. There are rumours floating around that Blade could be making a comeback in the MCU (although it's unlikely Wesley Snipes would be playing him).

What about Spawn?