The Joker wins the box office weekend with a smile on that face!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 38660 Posts
  1. Joker - $93.5 Million (new release)
  2. Abominable - $12.0 Million
  3. Downton Abbey - $8.0 Million
  4. Hustlers - $6.3 Million
  5. It: Chapter 2 - $5.3 Million
  6. Ad Astra - $4.5 Million
  7. Judy - $4.4 Million
  8. Rambo: Last Blood - $3.5 Million
  9. War - $1.5 Million (new release)
  10. Good Boys - $900,000 Thousand
  11. (Bonus) My People, My Country - $865,000 Thousand (new release)

I predicted it'll make around $80 million but over $90 million is a shock to me and my local theater was jam pack Friday night and I enjoy it. Joker dominates with the biggest October opening ever and the 4th biggest R-rated opening behind Deadpool 2. Came so close to getting $100 million if it wasn't for this whole controversy it's been getting.

October 4-6 mojo's box office weekend

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 35597 Posts

DC movies getting their sail set right.

Gamerno6666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Gamerno6666
Member since 2013 • 6938 Posts

Deserved. Amazing movie.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 844 Posts

It did well but DC isn't tying this in with anything else. This is what screws them in trying to make a DCU that can compete with the MCU.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 167548 Posts

Hoping to see that soon...……..

Volsung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Volsung
Member since 2019 • 386 Posts

I'm in no hurry to see it. It seems to be non stop nihilistic human misery and I'm not a huge fan of that shit. Not to mention, I'm always a little apprehensive about how movies handle mental illness.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17565 Posts

@davillain-: Joker - $93.5 Million (new release)

Abominable - $12.0 Million

Downton Abbey - $8.0 Million

Hustlers - $6.3 Million

It: Chapter 2 - $5.3 Million

Ad Astra - $4.5 Million

Judy - $4.4 Million

Rambo: Last Blood - $3.5 Million

War - $1.5 Million (new release)

Good Boys - $900,000 Thousand

(Bonus) My People, My Country - $865,000 Thousand (new release)

It looks like it had no competition.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 11621 Posts

Joker was awesome.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 6246 Posts

Watched the movie, it was brilliant but it would have been better if they cut some parts.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26750 Posts

Joker was the first DC movie worthy of the better Marvel movies IMO (Well the 2nd Dark Knight movie was up there also). Wonder Woman was decent but the pacing in the middle dragged it down a bit.

I'd give it an 8.5 / 10 or perhaps even 9 / 10. Well worth seeing.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@volsung said:

I'm in no hurry to see it. It seems to be non stop nihilistic human misery and I'm not a huge fan of that shit. Not to mention, I'm always a little apprehensive about how movies handle mental illness.

I don't get why some people are complaining... Well, I do, it's woke critics who are as dumb as a rock... but...

Previous incarnation of the Joker just equated mental issues to "cleverness" and "evil", comparative to something like Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger where that's absolutely the case, here it's far more empathetic, this interpretation is pretty far from a genius with circumstances around him pushing his already prerequisite disputation towards what he's going to do.

If anything the movie is chastising societies treatment of people with mental problems than those themselves.

Which is one of the only things in line with the comics, Gotham itself creates villains, villains do not create Gotham, it's as much a central character as the rogue gallery.

watercrack445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By watercrack445
Member since 2017 • 2010 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I don't get why some people are complaining... Well, I do, it's woke critics who are as dumb as a rock... but...

Previous incarnation of the Joker just equated mental issues to "cleverness" and "evil", comparative to something like Jack Nicholson or Heath Ledger where that's absolutely the case, here it's far more empathetic, this interpretation is pretty far from a genius with circumstances around him pushing his already prerequisite disputation towards what he's going to do.

If anything the movie is chastising societies treatment of people with mental problems than those themselves.

Which is one of the only things in line with the comics, Gotham itself creates villains, villains do not create Gotham, it's as much a central character as the rogue gallery.

That is why I like Batman's gallery of villains. I consider them much more interesting than other DC villains. I might be biased since I grew up watching CW's batman animated tv show. So, I know much more about batman's gallery, for instance, than The Flash's gallery or Wonder Women's gallery.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 9808 Posts

I'm going to watch it this Wednesday. I've been looking forward to it as I really liked every trailer released so far.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaVillain-  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 38660 Posts

@uninspiredcup: It's made me think more about how complaining online on various boards over the "politics" of recent movies is unproductive. We should care more about the sad situations that can happen in real life that are portrayed in this movie. We shouldn't be so wrapped up in making ourselves feel superior. That said, I give Joker a 9/10. I think the only problem this movie has is the way they handled the Wayne's family legacy. Even as a Marvel guy, it's definitely something I am glad DC did with a comic book film an an age where the stakes of The Avengers has literally risen to "purple man tries to wipe out half the universe"

Volsung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Volsung
@uninspiredcup said:
@volsung said:

I'd find "you better be nice and careful with those people or they'll snap and kill everyone" almost as insulting. Again, I haven't seen it maybe it's not like that, but I despise the "mentally ill loner gets triggered and or off their meds and goes violently insane" trope.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup

@davillain- said:

@uninspiredcup: It's made me think more about how complaining online on various boards over the "politics" of recent movies is unproductive. We should care more about the sad situations that can happen in real life that are portrayed in this movie. We shouldn't be so wrapped up in making ourselves feel superior. That said, I give Joker a 9/10. I think the only problem this movie has is the way they handled the Wayne's family legacy. Even as a Marvel guy, it's definitely something I am glad DC did with a comic book film an an age where the stakes of The Avengers has literally risen to "purple man tries to wipe out half the universe"

I mean, it's not even a new concept for Batman on screen, and has been done better. The Animated Series had a cavalcade of victims created villains through extenuating circumstances. These worked in tandem with Bruce Wayne, especially Mask Of Phantasm with Andrea Beaumont a parallel mirror or what he could become.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

@watercrack445 said:

That is why I like Batman's gallery of villains. I consider them much more interesting than other DC villains. I might be biased since I grew up watching CW's batman animated tv show. So, I know much more about batman's gallery, for instance, than The Flash's gallery or Wonder Women's gallery.

Ditto.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#18 nepu7supastar7  Online
Member since 2007 • 5253 Posts

@volsung:

"I despise the "mentally ill loner gets triggered and or off their meds and goes violently insane" trope."

That's not the case for Joker though. If anything, it's about him realizing that living in self pity is what's been holding him back all that time. He got tired of being stepped on and ignored by everyone. That message was so strong that it created his giant cult of followers.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#19  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26863 Posts
@davillain- said:

@uninspiredcup: It's made me think more about how complaining online on various boards over the "politics" of recent movies is unproductive.We should care more about the sad situations that can happen in real life that are portrayed in this movie. [...]

Yes. Thank you VERY MUCH.

Can this movie inspire people to do wrong? I haven't seen it, but I'm sure it can. Just like most movies/speeches/books with any substance. Probably because there are people going through some real nasty things similar to things in this movie. Things that arent hard to imagine, that it would drive anyone, you or me, to do wild things that we would normally disagree with. The easy way to (postpone to) solve this... whatever this is people are afraid of, is to continue to hide it away, and remove people who talk about it. To prevent movies like this from ever releasing.

I don't think that really works for two reasons. We would verbally imprison people and do away with any notion of free thought. What good is protection or safety when it protects nothing of value? I don't see any value in a society or authority that doesn't allow people to share ideas. And I think it's impossible to maintain. There's no way (yet) that we can imprison everybody without people finding ways out of it. In fact, usually an effort to do so will backfire wildly.

If this movie can inspire people to do something terrible, it's only because it is a much needed kick in the butt. Maybe we will finally be doing something about problems that we would rather hide away from than to confront right now.

Again, I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't really know what it's about. But if the fear is real, then I have to assume the movie talks about some real issues that we aren't solving. Issues with the world around the Joker, and/or with a realistic Joker himself. That makes the movie scary but more importantly it makes it essential. It makes me interested to go see it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uninspiredcup

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@volsung:

"I despise the "mentally ill loner gets triggered and or off their meds and goes violently insane" trope."

That's not the case for Joker though. If anything, it's about him realizing that living in self pity is what's been holding him back all that time. He got tired of being stepped on and ignored by everyone. That message was so strong that it created his giant cult of followers.

Wouldn't necessarily say that, although I can see folk understandably taking the ending as triumphant, if anything it's tragic delusion.

The scene in particular where Arthur Fleck is slapping the iconic smile on his face with lifeless glazed eyes, far from winning we're effectively watching the character die.

All Arthur Flecks previous attempts at finding validation futile, where his only avenue left is despair, with people misguidedly putting that on a pedestal.

Pretty fucking sad.

Volsung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Volsung
@uninspiredcup said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@volsung:

Wouldn't necessarily say that, although I can see folk understandably taking the ending as triumphant, if anything it's tragic delusion.

The scene in particular where Arthur Fleck is slapping the iconic smile on his face with lifeless glazed eyes, far from winning we're effectively watching the character die.

All Arthur Flecks previous attempts at finding validation futile, where his only avenue left is despair, with people misguidedly putting that on a pedestal.

Pretty fucking sad.

Loading Video...

I find that audience reaction fucking weird.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup

@volsung said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@volsung:

Pretty fucking sad.

Spoiler tags my man.

Not particularly surprising, we live in a society pop culture era where jingle jangling things i recognise turns grown men and woman into dribbling screaming children, be it DC, Starwars or Marvel.

They've became an extension of the audience in that movie, far shallower reasons.

He done a thing.

Loading Video...

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nepu7supastar7  Online

@uninspiredcup:

"All Arthur Flecks previous attempts at finding validation futile, where his only avenue left is despair, with people misguidedly putting that on a pedestal."

That part is more of the viewer's interpretation. Where Joker's life would've ended is actually where his true life began. That was the day the Joker was born. Whether it was just his own delusions getting the better of him doesn't matter. As the Joker, he finds true happiness and true adoration. In his own world, he is genuinely happy. That's what I saw, at least. Not a death but more of a rebirth.

From an outside perspective it's sad, but so is Batman. Their delusions and lack of self awareness are what hold them together. Except I always felt like the Joker was always closer to knowing that he was crazy.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 warmblur
Member since 2017 • 3246 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@volsung said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@volsung:

Pretty fucking sad.

Spoiler tags my man.

Not particularly surprising, we live in a society pop culture era where jingle jangling things i recognise turns grown men and woman into dribbling screaming children, be it DC, Starwars or Marvel.

They've became an extension of the audience in that movie, far shallower reasons.

He done a thing.

Loading Video...

That video is disturbing as F@*k!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@uninspiredcup:

"All Arthur Flecks previous attempts at finding validation futile, where his only avenue left is despair, with people misguidedly putting that on a pedestal."

That part is more of the viewer's interpretation. Where Joker's life would've ended is actually where his true life began. That was the day the Joker was born. Whether it was just his own delusions getting the better of him doesn't matter. As the Joker, he finds true happiness and true adoration. In his own world, he is genuinely happy. That's what I saw, at least. Not a death but more of a rebirth.

From an outside perspective it's sad, but so is Batman. Their delusions and lack of self awareness are what hold them together. Except I always felt like the Joker was always closer to knowing that he was crazy.

Kind of thought the movie could have done without the whole fight-club thing tbh. But I guess it does tie in with the character multiple choice, maybe it was just done poorly but to me that was the weakest part of the movie where they outright spelt it out.

Another thing would have changed is the Murray part.

Although it's the closest part to the comic (The Dark Knight Returns), when he was ranting about how people are awful and how he was just brought on to be laughed at, we literally do, do that with Simon Cowell talent shows where they carefully edit it with whimsical silly music to make it seem less scummy while we point at laugh at the oddballs to feel better about ourselves.

Having a parody Simon Cowell shot in the face would have been great.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nepu7supastar7  Online

@uninspiredcup:

There were alot of things I would've changed too. But for the most part, it offered what I was hoping for out of a Joker movie. It was fascinating, I felt sorry for him, the murders made me feel very uncomfortable(something I never felt while watching other violent movies), and the ending paid off. We saw his last step into the Joker and even a peek at Batman's origin. That was pretty cool too.