The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies TRAILER

This topic is locked from further discussion.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

It's setting up to be an epic finale to the Hobbit movies. Can't wait till December! Pipin's song added a nice touch to the trailer.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

CAN'T FVCKING WAIT FOR THIS FVCKING AWESOME MOVIE XD !!!

p.s - The Chariot Chase , mindblowing :)

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnd13

@indzman: And Evangeline Lilly is back. Hmm...

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 indzman

@johnd13 said:

you don't like lilly ? =P

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13

@indzman said:

@johnd13 said:

On the contrary, I loved her in the Hobbit. :) Whereas I wasn't a fan of hers in Lost.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 indzman

@johnd13 said:

@indzman said:

@johnd13 said:

On the contrary, I loved her in the Hobbit. :) Whereas I wasn't a fan of hers in Lost.

Ahhh, she was good in REAL STEEL too as Hugh's g.f :)

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#7 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

@johnd13 said:

I loved her in Lost, after a while she became the reason i kept watching.

On topic: It's about time, can't wait! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

It's funny that I'm actually looking forward to this movie. LOTR was probably the saga I tried the hardest to like and failed miserably over and over again. The first movie (of the original trilogy, not the Hobbit) was the only movie I fell asleep during not once but twice....rewatched that whole trilogy 3 times and didn't get any better for me...

Then, 2 years ago, since my wife wanted to go watch the first Hobbit in the theatres, I once again rewatched the first trilogy, and ended up enjoying it...and ended up enjoying the Hobbit movies as well. Weird stuff =P

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CyberLips

@johnd13: Ahhhhhh i knew it was Pipin, i remember that scene from The Return of the King.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#11 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

I was more excited to see the Mad Max trailer.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 johnd13

@korvus: I would have expected you to really like LOTR since you write fantasy books. I grew up with LOTR movies, books, board games, video games etc and it was a great part of my childhood. Tolkien created a beautiful yet dark world which can appeal to people regardless of age.

I think your wife put you on the right track. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#13  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@johnd13: She does have a talent for doing that, yes =)

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 johnd13

@CyberLips said:

@johnd13: Ahhhhhh i knew it was Pipin, i remember that scene from The Return of the King.

I quite enjoy these little touches Jackson uses to appeal to us old-time LOTR fans. It can be as small as a few pieces of soundtrack or big enough like Legolas. :)

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CyberLips

@johnd13 said:

@CyberLips said:

I quite enjoy these little touches Jackson uses to appeal to us old-time LOTR fans. It can be as small as a few pieces of soundtrack or big enough like Legolas. :)

If you watch the LoTR movies again keep an eye out for him, he appears in some scenes it's hilarious.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i really want to watch this movie :D. I hope there's an extended version of the trilogy

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 johnd13

@CyberLips said:

@johnd13 said:

@CyberLips said:

If you watch the LoTR movies again keep an eye out for him, he appears in some scenes it's hilarious.

Haha I only knew about the carrot scene, thanks for sharing. He's like an Easter Egg. :D

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19566 Posts
@johnd13 said:

Thats actually the biggest problem I have with the Hobbit trilogy: Peter Jackson keeps trying to turn The Hobbit into The Lord of the Rings.

Every time he does it, he weakens the film(s) in some way.

For example:

• PJ started the first Hobbit film with a call-back to the Fellowship of the Ring...which was a neat surprise, but added an awkward framing narrative to a film that already had way too many introductions. It was unnecessary, and made the beginning draggg- all because PJ wanted to force in more LOTR references.
  • PJ needed to out-epic LOTR, so he made three Hobbit films to match the three LOTR films. There isn't enough content for three films, leading to frustrating padding like the infamous river/barrel scene.
  • PJ wanted to throw in the content from LOTR's appendices...so we end up with such exciting scenes as "Gandalf having a meeting with Saruman and then getting bored and talking to Galadriel" and "Crap-hat does things". Those were easily the most dull or cringe-worthy parts of the new trilogy. They detract from the plot of The Hobbit and from the hobbit character himself...but hey, PJ wanted more LOTR references.
  • PJ threw in Legolas because he wanted more LOTR references. He then made Legolas part of a love triangle with a dwarf. This is hilariously stupid padding.
  • PJ wanted to throw in LOTR-esque violence/doom and gloom. This clashes wildly with the tone of The Hobbit, but hey, it feels like LOTR again.

Well anyway, point is, I *really* dislike like Peter Jackson has handled these films. There's a pretty entertaining adaptation of the Hobbit in there, if you ignore all of Peter Jackson's attempts to ruin it.

solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

Can't wait for this movie!! My only concern is what's next? After this movie, we have no more Middle Earth :-(

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@solidruss said:

Can't wait for this movie!! My only concern is what's next? After this movie, we have no more Middle Earth :-(

The Hobbit and LotR took place during the Third Age. There's still the First and Second Ages to play with. I'm sure the splendor of elvish strongholds such as Gondolin would be breathtaking. Balance that out with the sheer vileness of Thangorodrim. I'd say they make the struggles in the Third Age look like a domestic squabble.

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Oh man, can't wait! Looks aweome!

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I still haven't seen the first 2. I'm kinda hobbit'ed out.

I love medieval fantasy, just not Tolkien's version of it.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Personally I've hated these movies. The problem is that Jackson never liked 'the Hobbit' like he did 'the Lord of the Rings', and never wanted to make these movies in the first place. And in making them he keeps trying to turn 'the Hobbit' into LotR. While I have my issues with the 'Lord of the Rings' films I never felt like PJ was pissing on the story. I do feel like he's pissing on the story of 'the Hobbit'.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Lol , I was a bit late . I came here to post it myself .

Anyways , Can't f***ing wait . I watched Return of the King again today . Middle Earth saga is full of amazing lore .

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@Boddicker said:

I still haven't seen the first 2.

This

awesome3496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By awesome3496
Member since 2008 • 2209 Posts

So excited! I can't wait! :D

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Looks nice.

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

@Planeforger:

But Legolas was there. He wasn't mentioned by name in the Hobbit but in the Fellowship Gloin brings up the fact that the wood elves captured them and Legolas remembers it because he is from Mirkwood and his father is also the elven king that captured them all. So it makes sense that Legolas is in his own father's kingdom taking part in events that he remembers.

I agree with the three movie thing being too much though.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

First was so damn freaking dull. Second was just them running from place to place, being captured, escaping and running to another place...only to be captured again. Here is hoping this isn't as boring!

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 johnd13

@Planeforger: From an objective point of view you're right. The Hobbit has been unreasonably stretched into a trilogy(LOTR was different, it originated from a trilogy of books) and those Gandalf, Galadriel, Saruman scenes were pretty awkward indeed.

I'm a huge fan of Tolkien's world though so I don't mind most of the basic "flaws" as I'm willing to accept many additions if they can extend the experience even more. But I can understand that most people are rightly annoyed.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By johnd13

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@solidruss said:

The Hobbit and LotR took place during the Third Age. There's still the First and Second Ages to play with. I'm sure the splendor of elvish strongholds such as Gondolin would be breathtaking. Balance that out with the sheer vileness of Thangorodrim. I'd say they make the struggles in the Third Age look like a domestic squabble.

I agree. The Silmarillion covers a huge timeline and can be the source for a huge amount of content for future films. I would guess that after some years(a few probably) they'll want to attract(some could say milk) all the LOTR and Hobbit fans once again with even larger scale events like the struggle against Morgoth. That would be epic!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#33 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Didn't like the movies as all. Has a few single nice scenes (mainly Gollum) but the rest, eh.

I'll watch this passively but with nowhere near the same anticipation as Lord Of The Rings.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

@Planeforger said:

@johnd13 said:

Thats actually the biggest problem I have with the Hobbit trilogy: Peter Jackson keeps trying to turn The Hobbit into The Lord of the Rings.

Every time he does it, he weakens the film(s) in some way.

For example:

• PJ started the first Hobbit film with a call-back to the Fellowship of the Ring...which was a neat surprise, but added an awkward framing narrative to a film that already had way too many introductions. It was unnecessary, and made the beginning draggg- all because PJ wanted to force in more LOTR references.
  • PJ needed to out-epic LOTR, so he made three Hobbit films to match the three LOTR films. There isn't enough content for three films, leading to frustrating padding like the infamous river/barrel scene.
  • PJ wanted to throw in the content from LOTR's appendices...so we end up with such exciting scenes as "Gandalf having a meeting with Saruman and then getting bored and talking to Galadriel" and "Crap-hat does things". Those were easily the most dull or cringe-worthy parts of the new trilogy. They detract from the plot of The Hobbit and from the hobbit character himself...but hey, PJ wanted more LOTR references.
  • PJ threw in Legolas because he wanted more LOTR references. He then made Legolas part of a love triangle with a dwarf. This is hilariously stupid padding.
  • PJ wanted to throw in LOTR-esque violence/doom and gloom. This clashes wildly with the tone of The Hobbit, but hey, it feels like LOTR again.

Well anyway, point is, I *really* dislike like Peter Jackson has handled these films. There's a pretty entertaining adaptation of the Hobbit in there, if you ignore all of Peter Jackson's attempts to ruin it.

I think they where in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with The Hobbit. LotR set the standard for how Middle-Earth movies should be, if Jackson after releasing one of the greatest movie trilogies of all time, came out and said "we're making more movies in this world", and they came out with a version of The Hobbit that was actually close to the book, while pleasing the fans of the book, it would have been a huge disappointment for people who are fans exclusively of the LotR movies (and there are more fans of the movies, a lot more), and it probably would have ended up been a massive failure, so instead they took the route that made more sense, at least financially.

The fact is, The Hobbit trilogy is exactly what the majority of people wanted and expected it to be, the prequel to The Lord of the Rings. We can argue forever that it's not supposed to be, but we have to accept that as far as the movies go, it IS a prequel/origin story.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

Trailer needs more dragon

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@limpbizkit818 said:

Trailer needs more dragon

C'mon. We all know Smaug will die early in the movie.