The Force Awakens VS Rouge One, which movie is better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Rouge One easily. Took me completely to Star Wars New Hope nostalgia, that era. So much tragedy. So much Action. Awesome OST, BEST CAMEO OF CERTAIN INDIVIDUAL EVER. I'm rating it even Higher than Darth Vader Trilogy and newest The Force Awakens.

My opinion on Gareth Edwards changed after watching ROUGE ONE for positive.

Well? I need your opinions quickly.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I couldn't be bothered watching it, the trailers put me off chose to watch office Christmas party and bad Santa 2 last two visits to the cinema instead.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

Better than the force awakens,new hope and the prequels.

It's awesome.My fav movie of 2016.took me completely by surprise.

I can't believe that Disney had the guts to

SPOILER!

Kill almost all of them off including the main character.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#4  Edited By GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

Rogue One. Saw it yesterday and was very pleased. The battle at the end and the ending are incredible.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

I didn't like either, The Force is dead.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I prefer The Force Awakens. I enjoyed both movies, but Awakens was ultimately more fun. Rogue One was very good though. Seeing a darker, grittier aspect of the Star Wars Universe that didn't involve the major heroes was an excellent experience.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Rogue One was by far the best Star Wars movie then Force Awaken and Force Awaken was mediocre at best but I'm still cool with Force Awaken. Hell Rogue One was the first Star Wars movie that didn't feature any of the Skywalker families despite Leia Skywalker was at the end of the movie for 20 seconds.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@davillain- said:

Rogue One was by far the best Star Wars movie then Force Awaken and Force Awaken was mediocre at best but I'm still cool with Force Awaken. Hell Rogue One was the first Star Wars movie that didn't feature any of the Skywalker families despite Leia Skywalker was at the end of the movie for 20 seconds.

Both Anakin (aka Darth Vader) and Leia Skywalker are in Rogue One.

I prefer Force Awaken.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

saw it this afternoon and really liked it.

fa felt like a remake of episode iv. this felt more new and definitely darker / more violent.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts

I'm probably in the minority, but I liked The Force Awakens more. My only problems with Rogue One are the awful way they handled the CGI for two of the characters, I thought the first half dragged a bit, and very few of the characters are memorable in any way. The first two points are pretty minor, but in the end I just found Force Awakens more entertaining to watch, though I appreciate the darker edge they were trying to give Rogue One and hope that the future spin offs can build on its success.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I think they are both pretty close to me, I liked them both. I'm more into Rogue One right now because it's new. Came home from the cinema and immediately watched the Force Awakens. The Force Awakens has higher highs and lower lows. Nothing about Rogue One really bothers me while some of the Force Awakens does. I can't decide!

Empire Strikes back > A New Hope > Return of the Jedi > Rogue One = The Force Awakens. Prequels do not exist.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@indzman: I don't get why people flip when they get more lore from a world, a side story. I mean The Hobbit sorta a side story or prequel to Lord of the Rings and no one complained about that.

I would love to watch Rouge One and learn more about the SW universe.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I prefer The Force Awakens. I enjoyed both movies, but Awakens was ultimately more fun. Rogue One was very good though. Seeing a darker, grittier aspect of the Star Wars Universe that didn't involve the major heroes was an excellent experience.

That's actually more of what I want from Star Wars, especially the side stuff. I mean, it's a massive universe with a lot of potential for great stories. Not everything has to revolve around Han/Luke/Leia/Vader/Chewie/Obi-Wan.

At the same time, the central premise of the movie seems to me to be a step backwards. This is about the people who stole the plans for the Death Star, right? I just can't care about that. Enough of Death Stars. I don't care about Death Stars, that seems like rehashing old stuff. I saw one Death Star get destroyed, then I saw ANOTHER Death Star get destroyed, then last year I saw a planet (which was really just an even bigger Death Star) get destroyed. I just don't feel any interest in seeing a story that is specifically about how the rebels got the plans that enabled them to destroy the freaking FIRST Death Star. I just don't care. It's nice that they're doing stories that don't involve the main heroes, but afaik the story is still another f***ing Death Star story. And I just can't give a shit about that stuff any more. It's over, it's done. And I have a hard time really caring about how it happened.

EDIT: Sort of how I feel about the upcoming Han Solo movie. What was Han Solo doing before everyone cared about Han Solo? I don't know, but I also don't care. I'm sure the movie will be fine, but I just have zero interest in seeing what he was doing before Episode IV. It's just not the kind of backstory that I ever felt I needed to be fleshed out, and the basic premise of the movie isn't something that makes me want to see it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 indzman

@MrGeezer said:
@Serraph105 said:

That's actually more of what I want from Star Wars, especially the side stuff. I mean, it's a massive universe with a lot of potential for great stories. Not everything has to revolve around Han/Luke/Leia/Vader/Chewie/Obi-Wan.

At the same time, the central premise of the movie seems to me to be a step backwards. This is about the people who stole the plans for the Death Star, right? I just can't care about that. Enough of Death Stars. I don't care about Death Stars, that seems like rehashing old stuff. I saw one Death Star get destroyed, then I saw ANOTHER Death Star get destroyed, then last year I saw a planet (which was really just an even bigger Death Star) get destroyed. I just don't feel any interest in seeing a story that is specifically about how the rebels got the plans that enabled them to destroy the freaking FIRST Death Star. I just don't care. It's nice that they're doing stories that don't involve the main heroes, but afaik the story is still another f***ing Death Star story. And I just can't give a shit about that stuff any more. It's over, it's done. And I have a hard time really caring about how it happened.

EDIT: Sort of how I feel about the upcoming Han Solo movie. What was Han Solo doing before everyone cared about Han Solo? I don't know, but I also don't care. I'm sure the movie will be fine, but I just have zero interest in seeing what he was doing before Episode IV. It's just not the kind of backstory that I ever felt I needed to be fleshed out, and the basic premise of the movie isn't something that makes me want to see it.

What if we say we also don't care about your opinion? You do know you in the very minority of Hating upon Rouge One HeHe :P

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I've been thinking about Rogue One over the weekend and I have a prediction, this movie will be one of the least rewatched films of the star wars series (I'd say the least rewatched, but phantom menace). Sure it's a better movie than several others, but I get the sense that it's replay value is fairly low due to the scope, and lack of really cool main characters.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@thehig1 said:

I couldn't be bothered watching it, the trailers put me off chose to watch Office Christmas Party and bad Santa 2 last two visits to the cinema instead.

Office Christmas Party was pretty damned funny. I didn't hurt that I watched it at a movie theatre/brewhouse, so I was two sheets to the wind.

Skarwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 Skarwolf
Member since 2006 • 2718 Posts

The Farce Awakens was so bad anything can be exponentially better with ease. Rogue one is the best Star Wars film to date.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@indzman: Actually, you're incorrect. The number of people who bother to see it will be FAR lower than the number of people who don't see it. That's generally how it works for any movie.

Also, who said I was hating on it? Like i said, i'm sure it's probably a fine movie. I was just explaining why I have absolutely no interest in it.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

I like the Force Awakens for what it was. They also played it safe, and for good reason. If the first new Star Wars film got crushed in reviews and fan reception. That would have backfired on Disney's plans. And the new character development in Force Awakens, was done better than a large chunk of the new Rogue One cast.

Rogue One was very enjoyable. And was a fantastic job overall, considering the mission result was always known. But the film makers managed to create an atmosphere of tension, doubt, and resilience. Against overwhelming odds. Which is some of the things that make the original trilogy so special. Critics also love it when there's lots of drama and death. So I wasn't too surprised to see good scores. But I also wasn't surprised to see a lot of death. Considering the new cast, would have a hard time fitting in the Star Wars universe post Rogue One.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@indzman said:

Rouge One easily. Took me completely to Star Wars New Hope nostalgia, that era. So much tragedy. So much Action. Awesome OST, BEST CAMEO OF CERTAIN INDIVIDUAL EVER. I'm rating it even Higher than Darth Vader Trilogy and newest The Force Awakens.

My opinion on Gareth Edwards changed after watching ROUGE ONE for positive.

Well? I need your opinions quickly.

Neither.

The best are still the first.

Rouge one is not a Star Wars movie by anything else than name.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 indzman

@MrGeezer said:

@indzman: Actually, you're incorrect. The number of people who bother to see it will be FAR lower than the number of people who don't see it. That's generally how it works for any movie.

Also, who said I was hating on it? Like i said, i'm sure it's probably a fine movie. I was just explaining why I have absolutely no interest in it.

Curious, did you watch Rouge One Greezer? :)

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Rogue One is now my second favorite Star Wars movie. It was incredibly well done. Plus Darth Vader is utter badass in this movie.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 indzman

@ferrari2001 said:

Rogue One is now my second favorite Star Wars movie. It was incredibly well done. Plus Darth Vader is utter badass in this movie.

Which one is your first fav SW movie? :)

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@indzman:

And for the record, Star Wars is boring. Lately on cable(TNT) they been airing the 1st 6 movies and I find all of them snoozfests.

The 2015 movie sucked too.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 indzman

@PSP107 said:

@indzman:

And for the record, Star Wars is boring. Lately on cable(TNT) they been airing the 1st 6 movies and I find all of them snoozfests.

The 2015 movie sucked too.

*yawn*

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#26 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

Hard to look like a badass when your uniform looks like a Halloween Costume.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

I didn't watch Rogue One yet, but The Force Awakens was pretty shitty rip-off of the of episode 4 and 6, so Rogue One wins by default.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Rogue One, because it's the only star wars movie other than Ep5 and 6 that is not trying to sell toys.

A New Hope > Empire > Rogue > *

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Finally, a Star Wars movie about the small guys who take the hit and do the dying. I normally read such stories only in the Star Wars source books. I think I'm going to like the movie.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@indzman said:
@ferrari2001 said:

Which one is your first fav SW movie? :)

Empire

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

I liked Force Awakens more. I didn't get attached to anyone in Rogue One and I didn't feel anything in that last battle until Vader showed up.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I liked Rogue One more than Force Awakens.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Rogue One by about 10 miles. And I liked Force Awakens. Rogue One was fucking incredible, though.

@indzman said:

I'm rating it even Higher than Darth Vader Trilogy and newest The Force Awakens.

What are you referring to as the "Darth Vader Trilogy"? The Prequels? If so, those are hardly Darth Vader movies, and they're awful, so it's not even all that impressive to be better than them. Force Awakens was better than them. It would be massively disappointing to ever see another Star Wars movie of their caliber.

Anyway, side note: After the reception Rogue One has gotten (especially the final 5 minutes or so), if Disney isn't already, they damn well better start planning a straight up Darth Vader movie. Based in between Episode 3 and Rogue One, hopefully with the storyline of Vader traveling the galaxy, hunting down and murdering the last of the Jedis who survived Order 66. They could just make a movie out of the book, "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader". Would be amazing. They better hop to it, though. Who knows how much longer James Earl Jones will be around.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Rouge one is not a Star Wars movie by anything else than name.

Well... that, and also... literally every single thing about it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 indzman

@the_bi99man said:

Rogue One by about 10 miles. And I liked Force Awakens. Rogue One was fucking incredible, though.

@indzman said:

I'm rating it even Higher than Darth Vader Trilogy and newest The Force Awakens.

What are you referring to as the "Darth Vader Trilogy"? The Prequels? If so, those are hardly Darth Vader movies, and they're awful, so it's not even all that impressive to be better than them. Force Awakens was better than them. It would be massively disappointing to ever see another Star Wars movie of their caliber.

Anyway, side note: After the reception Rogue One has gotten (especially the final 5 minutes or so), if Disney isn't already, they damn well better start planning a straight up Darth Vader movie. Based in between Episode 3 and Rogue One, hopefully with the storyline of Vader traveling the galaxy, hunting down and murdering the last of the Jedis who survived Order 66. They could just make a movie out of the book, "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader". Would be amazing. They better hop to it, though. Who knows how much longer James Earl Jones will be around.

A Solo Darth Vader Movie ????? ...

NOW THAT WOULD BE FUCKING AWESOME MAN XD. DAY 1 watch HaHa

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 indzman

@Master_Live said:

I liked Rogue One more than Force Awakens.

Oh Master, You have a good taste XD

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I liked The Force Awakens more myself but I also really enjoyed Rogue One as well, it was just such a great blast of nostalgia seeing it dovetail into A New Hope like that.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

Rogue One, just because Forces Awaken feels like a rehash of ANH where as R1 is a proper extension (or prequel) of the original series but honestly neither movies are all that great. Then again I'm of the opinion that SW is uber overrated to begin with.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

I enjoyed both but I couldnt really connect to the Rogue 1 characters, they didnt really get much development time and the way they killed them off (after trying to introduce them as some of the most badass non-jedis in SW)...

many of them basically simply walked to their deaths or stood/sat around and then SPLAT. The main char and that Rebel intel guy were interesting though but well, guess we wont be seeing them again.

I enjoyed the ending though and the battle is worth the ticket price and I absolutely love the parts where they included chars and pilots from A New Hope.