Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

HOLY CRAP!

This came out of nowhere. Apparently I am not as big a fan as I thought because this is such great, surprising news.

Anyone else excited?

Anyone not see The Expanse? Then I pity you and your empty soul. JK

But it's a really great show. Just good production, great acting, amazing writing, lots of attention to detail. It somehow manages to capture the realism of more believable science-fiction while at the same time maintaining that bit of whimsy in more "out there" sci-fi entertainment.

So excited!

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I need to catch up, haven't watched since season 2. The first two seasons were pretty amazing, I even got around to buying the first book as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Best Sci-Fi series ever. Can't wait.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

Usually time between seasons seems like an eternity but 2020 has been a weird year so The Expanse is back out of the blue. Gotta watch another "story so far" recap to get up to date on the show.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58906 Posts

Remember Champ mentioning this, need to get round to watching it at some point. though, might just hold off until the entire show is done.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#6 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I read the entire book series in May (well up to book 8, 9 isn't out yet) when I had a concussion and couldn't do much other than read.

Books were mostly fantastic, but the show was a bit of a letdown coming from the books, its well done but they change a lot and IMO the books were better.

I dont know why they didn't follow the books more closely. They basically set everything up for a great TV show adaptation but they make sweeping changes to the point that some major characters in the books don't even appear in the show.

I think I would have liked the show a lot more if I hadn't read the books first, I'll still probably watch the new season but my expectations aren't too high.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25

@with_teeth26: I feel the same way about Game of Thrones in that regard. So much was changed, omitted, added...it becomes a different product in the end. Granted some of the novels was not finished towards the end of the TV series, but long before then even there significant changes.

But I always keep in mind that books are [almost] always better than their movie or television adaptations, so my expectations are usually lower.

Dune is my favorite book ever and I am super excited for the upcoming movie, especially since a really amazing director is in charge of it...but still, I'm suppressing the hype with every ounce of my will jsut because I know if I go in with "book standards" for the movie I will be sorely disappointed.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mrbojangles25
@Ballroompirate said:

I need to catch up, haven't watched since season 2. The first two seasons were pretty amazing, I even got around to buying the first book as well.

I loved The Expanse the whole way through. I actually had trouble getting into it initially because it was a bit slow (for sci-fi, at least) but I am sooooooooooo happy I came back to it, because it was all I watched.

Then Amazon picked it up, and I was like "YAY!" but then a bit concerend because....well....Amazon. But it was OK, it was still really great. Definitely made it a bit more "hollywood" instead of a thinking-man's sci-fi series, but it was really great. One of my favorite actors, David Straithern, shows up in the last season (maybe earlier? I can't remember) and they really make good use of Shohreh Aghdashloo (who I also like in the show).

And I can watch Frankie Adams all day. I loooooooooooove tall women, omfg and she is like 6' tall.

*very minor spoilers, but a pretty good compilation lol*

Loading Video...