The end thread of 2018!

#1 Posted by DaVillain- (34965 posts) -

It feels like 2018 went fast already! Since the new year 2019 is just around the corner, was 2018 the best year? Worst year? Movie of the year? Game of the year? Whatever it is, share your amazing experience of 2018.

Me, 2018 was good for movies, gaming, and just the same old going to work and stuff like that. I can say 2018 was good but not good for political stuff. Lost only 2 family members but it's life and may they R.I.P. All in all, 2018 was good but gaming was also amazing, especially on the PC hardware side.

#2 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19839 posts) -

I beat cancer in 2018 after 4 years of fighting.

Got a job, made some friends, played some games, and finished another semester of school.

#3 Edited by DaVillain- (34965 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

Got a job, made some friends, played some games, and finished another semester of school.

Best news I heard coming from Gaming-Planet in 2018 :)

Also Fucks cancer!

#4 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15616 posts) -

Every year above ground is a good one!

Also--Into The Spider Verse...favorite movie of 2018, bar none. For those interested, Sony has released the movie script online for free.

#5 Posted by warmblur (1734 posts) -

2018 wasn't anything special for me gaming was good though.

#7 Posted by johnd13 (9622 posts) -

It was mostly meh. Spent most of the year on my mandatory military service and at least I'm happy to be done with that. Didn't get a girlfriend but I did get a job last month which I'm starting on January 2nd of next year.

Congrats @Gaming-Planet!

#8 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4666 posts) -

Grats GamingPlanet.

I got my own place. Hoping to make some real life friends and smoke some good weed with them.

#9 Posted by plageus900 (2640 posts) -

This was one of my best and most productive years by far. I got a 10 percent raise in April. I interviewed for a management position on Dec. 17th and was told I got the job two days before Christmas.

#10 Posted by uninspiredcup (31458 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

Glad you sorted out, I've seen what that shit does to folk.

-

Happy New Year may all your Disney dreams come true.

#11 Posted by mrbojangles25 (43313 posts) -

I am ready for 2019. 2018 was...well not terrible, just uneventful.

@Gaming-Planet said:

Incredible! :D

@plageus900 said:

This was one of my best and most productive years by far. I got a 10 percent raise in April. I interviewed for a management position on Dec. 17th and was told I got the job two days before Christmas.

Congrats! Question: did you ask for the raise, or just get it. Thinking of asking for a raise (we have reviews in January) in addition to my adjustment. How do you ask for a raise. I work in a pretty blue-collar job and my boss is a "straight-shooter" type of guy, just wondering if there's any base technique to it haha

#12 Posted by Horgen (119685 posts) -

2018... Has just been another year really.

I hope 2019 will bring some much needed improvement to my economy.

#13 Edited by plageus900 (2640 posts) -

@mrbojangles25: Thanks! My company gives out performance reviews on a yearly basis and raises accompany those reviews (unless you receive an 'Improvement Required'). Your raise percentage is based on your performance.

I've asked for raises at other jobs in the past. I usually scheduled a meeting with my manager and then layed out my accomplishments in the last 6 months as a precurser to telling him/her that I'm worth X amount of dollars an hour.

I feel lucky that I've never had to do that with my current employer.

#14 Edited by watercrack445 (1263 posts) -

Well, its been a controversial year for gaming, as far as I can see. The market stock for the gaming industry is taking a hit. Bethesda and Konimi seems to have lost a lot of respect. Bioware also lost a of respect since Mass effect: Andromeda. Well, other smaller studios are growing like Obsidian and CD projeck red. The other studios were gobbled up by Microsoft.

Sony has won this year. lets see next year who will win!

#15 Posted by robert_sparkes (2574 posts) -

For MS it was a poor year games wise but they have made moves to improve their fortunes. Sony have done what Sony do and dominate Nintendo have had a very productive year. Next year is going to be very interesting.

#16 Edited by Cyber-A (3 posts) -

Hey, just wanted to, quickly, say HAPPY NEW YEAR to all you gamers out there!!!! P :)

#17 Posted by shellcase86 (4290 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet: Congrats. You had a banner year!

It was a good year, career-wise. Got a raise, promotion, and another raise.

Games / Movies/ TV -- it's been a great year, but I had a baby boy in the middle of the summer. Needless to say, I've curbed all that to a lesser degree to better spend time with the family.

Once baby boy is more independent / sleeping more predictably, the plan is to work on myself -- working out a lot more to get back in shape.

#18 Posted by Ovirew (8697 posts) -

2018 wasn't a great year for me, but I think it represented a lot of conclusions and the start of new beginnings.

I am hoping to wrap up this decade on a positive note. I think 2019 will be a better year than this one was at least.

#19 Posted by goodzorr (479 posts) -

Gaming habits have changed, FIFA is kinda done now, haven't played it for a couple months. Still really enjoy playing PUBG (but only with friends) and having fun with my single player campaigns. God of War was my gaming highlight. RDR2 has been good but not as amazing as I thought.

Away from gaming, work is plodding along. We welcomed our daughter back in November so that's pretty life changing.

Also I ate too much over Christmas.

#20 Posted by DaVillain- (34965 posts) -

@goodzorr said:

Gaming habits have changed, FIFA is kinda done now, haven't played it for a couple months. Still really enjoy playing PUBG (but only with friends) and having fun with my single player campaigns. God of War was my gaming highlight. RDR2 has been good but not as amazing as I thought.

Away from gaming, work is plodding along. We welcomed our daughter back in November so that's pretty life changing.

I was wondering what happened to you. Sounds like you needed a much break from gaming which most of the times is a good thing and you'll get the urge to return gaming in no time.

#21 Posted by goodzorr (479 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@goodzorr said:

I was wondering what happened to you. Sounds like you needed a much break from gaming which most of the times is a good thing and you'll get the urge to return gaming in no time.

To be fair dude, I only really come on these forums when I'm at work and have been off since just before Christmas. Back to it now :D

Avatar image for gettingonwithgaminglife
#22 Posted by GettingonwithGamingLife (191 posts) -

Pretty good if you ask me, got a couple of exams done (homeschooled so I can spread them out) and applied for college too, can't wait. Played some good games, spent 2018 playing Bloodborne, Monster Hunter World and Uncharted Lost Legacy and amongst other games discovered.

#23 Edited by elkoldo (1826 posts) -

2018 was void of anything remarkable for me, perhaps the only thing partially worth mentioning is my graduation in MSc, which could've and should've ended better. But video games made up for it, a little at least. Favorite games of the year were, as you'd guess, God of War and Red Dead Redemption2.

God of Was specifically told a comeback story which can inspire your everyday life: Even if you are a monster, carrying a big backpack of sins, guilt, regrets and sorrow, you can still make a comeback to a better version of yourself.

RDR told another inspiring story (spoilers ahead): Assume that you're dying, your time is coming to a close. How would you live the little time you have left? Would you continue your greed for money? Would you still fight and squash other lives for as little as a few bucks? Or would you act differently, help as many people as you could, be generous, be forgiving? What different path would you choose, if you knew your time was coming to an end? Newsflash: Fast or slowly, we're all dying, even if we don't have a fatal disease, so why wouldn't we take that different path just about now?

The ideas planted by these games (and those previously planted by the Witcher and Last of Us) shall stay with me till the end of my days.

#24 Edited by robert_sparkes (2574 posts) -

2018 wasn't great for me personally but gaming wise it couldn't have been better for gamers with great games like GOW Spider-Man and red dead 2. MS on the other hand could have done better.

#25 Posted by double_decker (146078 posts) -

One of the worst years of my life. Going to take most of 2019 putting my life back together again.

#26 Posted by X_Karen_x (498 posts) -

One of my girlfriends at work whom I work with we have our finger cross that she call her man. She wont stop talk about him almost 1000 day straight. I tell to her, “why not just call to talk to him is so much easier than to babble nonstop about him.” So for 2019 we have finger cross for her.

#27 Posted by Mandzilla (3628 posts) -

Congrats on kicking cancer's butt @Gaming-Planet, and sorry to hear about the losses in your family @davillain-.

My year was one of the better ones, besides breaking my wrist. Family all doing well, pets are happy and healthy, can't complain about work, love life is so-so and gaming was great.

It was also cool to enjoy all the World Cup fun with people on OT last Summer. :D

#28 Posted by Gaming-Planet (19839 posts) -

Thanks for the warm comments, guys.

#29 Posted by DraculasPower (5 posts) -

Wholesome comments <3