That whole white privilage thing? Still a Hornet Nest.

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 mccoyca112
Member since 2007 • 5434 Posts

Link

For when you get into that random part of the internet. Most points, I would ultimately see as straw grasping. Historically speaking, whites are no stranger to the same treatment, and by their own race no less.(The Irish, anyone?) But, there are a few points where I can personally relate.

Being mixed, I've found myself in rather awkward situations that completely relate to some the article's points. It's worth a mention, I suppose, that it's not just talking about blacks. Parts all over the world would suggest that the term is utter nonsense, however I get the feeling it's the U.S. "issue" that's being examined. In reality, it's a subject that gets as far as the U.S. gun debate . As Bill burr so accurately put it; www.imright.com

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

First you say the article is ultimately grasping at straws on most points, then say you can completely relate to some points. Care to mention those.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mccoyca112

@Master_Live said:

First you say the article is ultimately grasping at straws on most points, then say you can completely relate to some points. Care to mention those.

#5. Details on this in relation to my particular experiences would do nothing, but serve to further beat a dead horse.

#11. Quite familiar with this one. Luckily, I don't get it as bad, since I "dress and speak well"

14. Does this really need examples?

As I said, most of it I see as simply reaching in an effort to build the tally. Some perhaps, with a shred of meaning But there are little things that I can relate to on a personal note. I didn't check the other bullet points mentioned in the article. It's not something I agree with one way or the other. I feel like I can directly relate to some points, understand a couple of them from a neutral p.o.v., and dismiss the remaining.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

sounds whiney to me

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Master_Live

For the benefit of others, ^^^^^^^^ points were:

• 5. White Privilege is never being told to, “get over slavery”.
  • 11. White privilege is having your words and actions attributed to you as an individual, rather than have them reflect members of your race.
  • 14. White Privilege is being pulled over or taken aside and knowing that you are not being singled out because of your race/colour.

• Well, first we would have to define what "get over slavery" is. I mean, slavery happened, it is on the history books and it is a crucial point on US history, and now slavery is no more. I would say get over it to some who still think this is 1959 and can't get pass the remnats of slavery and how the Civil Rights movement helped deal the final blow to institutionalize racism. But I guess some old people just need to die. You know, old white racists, Al Sharpton and all the "grievance" industry types, people against gay marriage or pot. The sooner they die, the sooner we can go on with our lives.
  • You can see this too when sometimes people questions a white person motives when they say (instead of doing) something: "Well, according to evidence George Zimmerman should be found not guilty". Nah, that can't be, there must be an ulterior motive, that white person must be secretly a racist.
  • Are talking literally pulled over as in when a cop stop you? If not, wtf? This just so fucking general, specious and seemingly coming from an insecure person (I'm taking about the author not you OP). So if a college professor takes me aside I cannot be sure that it isn't because on my race or color if I were to be black? GTFO. Perhaps you stop seeing everything through the race prism.
Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

The whole underlying basis for the hornet's nest is the assumption that a person can understand another person's (or group of persons') experiences and history at all, let alone on the basis of race.

I'm white. I will never, ever understand what it means to be black. I will never understand the significance of black history. I will never understand what it means to be Asian, Native American, Hispanic, Middle-Eastern, or otherwise.

Nor will I ever understand what it means to be Peter McWhitey, the white guy next door.

The conflict comes in when I pretend to understand what I don't.

That is the root of white privilege, racism, sexism, xenophobia, homophobia, and most forms of general assholery in the world.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Master_Live

@Makhaidos said:

I'm white. I will never, ever understand what it means to be black. I will never understand the significance of black history.

I feel this is bullshit. In today day and age people are so sensitive so afraid to step over anybody's toes that you concede some arguments just to not ruffle some feathers. Do you read what you write? Are you saying that not matter how much you studied something, reading books, thesis, talking and conversing extensively with African Americans, trying painfully exhaustively to immerse yourself into black culture and history you could NEVER understand, not one iota, not 1% about the significance of black history? I don't buy that and I will never buy it. And this one of the reasons I find the left so enraging.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Makhaidos

@Master_Live said:

@Makhaidos said:

I'm white. I will never, ever understand what it means to be black. I will never understand the significance of black history.

I feel this is bullshit. In today day and age people are so sensitive so afraid to step over anybody's toes that you concede some arguments just to not ruffle some feathers.

Come now. You've read what I write. Do I really seem like the type of person who gives one half a shit about ruffling feathers?

I'm a social worker. "I understand" is the worst possible thing you could ever say to anybody who walks into my building, because it's absolutely false. Can I pity someone, empathize with them, try to use some life experience of my own (or of someone else) as a frame of reference? Sure, but none of this classifies as true understanding, and if you think it does, try saying "I understand" to somebody when they're in a really tough situation and see how it works out.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Master_Live

And lets not even talk about the fact that so called "black" history is just really American history. And to even insinuate that I don't understand, for example, the contribution that Dr. King made to our society as a whole and to American history/black history is frankly insulting. This balkanization the left wants to promulgate isn't healthy and I won't be a part of it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Master_Live

Now if you excuse me, I will go see some people shoot each other on The Wire.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Makhaidos

@Master_Live said:

And lets not even talk about the fact that so called "black" history is just really American history. And to even insinuate that I don't understand, for example, the contribution that Dr. King made to our society as a whole and to American history/black history is frankly insulting. This balkanization the left wants to promulgate isn't healthy and I won't be a part of it.

Ah, so black people only struggled in America? They never had a problem in, say, pre-Colonial Britain?

Balkanization only starts to exist when you claim to understand the struggles of a people to which you do not and will not ever belong.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Understanding/empathizing is one thing, but actually living through and experiencing it is another. I think that's where the conflict lies.

mccoyca112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mccoyca112

@Master_Live:

• As an example, a fairly friendly debate/discussion revolving around Cause and effect of past to present, prompting the retort in question.
  • No doubt. I think that's a different approach to the point, but it's fair. More along the lines of purse clutching, crossing the street in order to avoid walking past each other like normal people(kids included), being looked at like a thug when I decide to put on a slight hip hop wardrobe. Things along that line, if you will.
  • Indeed, Officer troubles. I haven't had much trouble at all when it comes to being behind the wheel, as I keep my eyes to myself, and I drive normal. Being singled out...that's another story.

I'm off to bed. Just thought I'd share the article, and see what you guys thought. If you think privilege has merit or not, etc. but I'll keep an eye out for updates on the thread tomorrow, and your response ML.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Makhaidos

@Master_Live said:

I'll be taking a very important test.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Master_Live

@Makhaidos said:

@Master_Live said:

I'll be taking a very important test.

Listened to B*Witched? Damn, I must be white.

At least the survey works for non white people.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Didn't read the thread but is this about whites complaining about nonwhites complaining and then whites complaining about unfair treatment like the non whites

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I don't get the point being made by clarifying that black history is just american history. Isn't that like the point everyone pretty much agrees with. Or at least the lovely ones

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
Loading Video...

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

My thoughts:

Loading Video...

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Master_Live

@Makhaidos said:

@Master_Live said:

Ah, so black people only struggled in America? They never had a problem in, say, pre-Colonial Britain?

Stop it Mak, you know I'm talking about American history. The only history that matters of course.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

I'm sorry I gave that site a hit.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

White privilage, a.k.a. non-white saltiness.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

The title is hilariously ironic (as it directly contradicts point 2), but with the exception of #7(people can definitely be racist against white people), #9 (that's true of anyone whose been here more than 2 generations), and #17(St. Patties Day comes to mind) those points are more or less true. The problem that I see with this article (judging from it's title and intro) is that the author's intent is to bring white people down instead of bringing everyone else up. That's not helpful to anyone, and is counter productive to what should be the ultimate goal of the betterment of society for *everyone*.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

Being white has a lot of benefits, and I don't think that's right. But I wish the "PC" employers (like the police) and colleges would stop trying to make "diversity quotas", which see a lot of qualified applicants passed over for less qualified people because they're trying to even stuff out by having a certain number of women, people of this race or that race or X religion or even sexuality nowadays. That's not helping anything, that's just putting one group above another which is just more of the same problem we're having already.

I will never ever try to say white people do not have privilege, because we do. We are treated, often, as above other races and that's not fair. Everyone deserves a level playing field and bringing anyone down a peg to push someone else up will not fix the privilege problem, it will just be another inflammatory thing.

Everyone deserves to be the same and given all the same chances and I don't feel like that can happen when North America especially is in this "We are being super-duper inclusive to everyone, look at us we don't hate black people! Look, we just hired four of them today!" phase and it's more for show than for actually eliminating racism. The focus is not in the right place to actually solve the rampant racism problem.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

When people use white privilege it is to cover their own failings and blame someone else for them.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
  1. Tell that to my parents.
  2. Must be a US thing.
  3. Again, a US thing (we have entire firms here made up of immigrant ethnicities).
  4. LOL
  5. Okay, this is a serious article?
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

hey man look. i'm busy over here trying to hold civilization together so can you cut me a break that i'm not sensitive to others needs all the time?

jesus, i can't do everything.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@Master_Live said:

Herein lies the problem. People still want to separate by race.....and this goes to all races....instead of saying we're all humans. Period. But dwelling on the past is no way to move forward.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

I stopped reading the article at #1. That is so wrong, I can't help but laugh at the stupidity of the writer.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Master_Live said:

Herein lies the problem. People still want to separate by race.....and this goes to all races....instead of saying we're all humans. Period. But dwelling on the past is no way to move forward.

Problem is American black people have no past but what the white slave master gave them. Even today Black people still have their slave name and have no history and speak English. I could go on but you just don't get over that. Imagine all the white people just woke up and had no idea who they were.

For example I always used to think my uncle was weird. He went to Nam and I thought he was just using that as an excuse. That shit was a long time ago I remember thinking. Not till I joined the military and went to war did I begin to understand what happened to him. This is similar to white people talking about black people.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Master_Live said:

Problem is American black people have no past but what the white slave master gave them. Even today Black people still have their slave name and have no history and speak English. I could go on but you just don't get over that. Imagine all the white people just woke up and had no idea who they were.

For example I always used to think my uncle was weird. He went to Nam and I thought he was just using that as an excuse. That shit was a long time ago I remember thinking. Not till I joined the military and went to war did I begin to understand what happened to him. This is similar to white people talking about black people.

you do realize only 2% of white people owned slaves right? also did you realize the first slave owner was a black man named Anthony Johnson

Marth6352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32 Marth6352
Member since 2014 • 117 Posts

@Flubbbs: sources?

But the what people don't get is that there is a difference between racism and prejudice. Black people cannot be racist against white people since racism is a system, being denied voting rights is racism. Thinking black people are less intelligent is prejudice.

But on that silly notion of diversity quotas as I've always said WHITE WOMEN ARE THE BIGGEST BENEFACOTRS OF AFFIRMATIVE ACTION TO AN OVERWHELMING DEGREE. AA doesn't let more qualified ppl get looked over, it makes sure that employers are not looking over qualified minorities in a particular field. Also it only applies to institutions that receive government funding ie schools

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@Flubbbs said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Master_Live said:

you do realize only 2% of white people owned slaves right? also did you realize the first slave owner was a black man named Anthony Johnson

How could he have been the first slave owner when he was a slave before earning his freedom and getting his own slaves? Also slavery has existed for thousands of years. People of all races have been slaves and taken slaves

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Flubbbs

@marth6352 said:

@Flubbbs: sources?

But the what people don't get is that there is a difference between racism and prejudice. Black people cannot be racist against white people since racism is a system, being denied voting rights is racism. Thinking black people are less intelligent is prejudice.

But on that silly notion of diversity quotas as I've always said WHITE WOMEN ARE THE BIGGEST BENEFACOTRS OF AFFIRMATIVE ACTION TO AN OVERWHELMING DEGREE. AA doesn't let more qualified ppl get looked over, it makes sure that employers are not looking over qualified minorities in a particular field. Also it only applies to institutions that receive government funding ie schools

you're stupid

Marth6352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Marth6352

@Flubbbs: great rebuttal dude...

Nothing stupid about what I said.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Flubbbs

@toast_burner said:

@Flubbbs said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Master_Live said:

How could he have been the first slave owner when he was a slave before earning his freedom and getting his own slaves? Also slavery has existed for thousands of years. People of all races have been slaves and taken slaves

prior to 1655 there were no legal slaves in the colonies.. he was an indentured servant

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flubbbs

@marth6352 said:

@Flubbbs: great rebuttal dude...

Nothing stupid about what I said.

yea everything you said was stupid

Marth6352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Marth6352

@Flubbbs: so no facts? I'm just assuming since you have said anything of note

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 no-scope-AK47

@Flubbbs said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@Master_Live said:

Yeah your clueless got it. No matter how you look at it the effects of slavery and the system that supported it are still being felt in the 21 st century. The Native Americans shit when was the last time you saw one. So Indians almost go extinct and put on tiny crappy tracts of land. Guess they should just get over that too cause that happened a long time ago.

It's easy to talk about things when you never lived it. Right now Americans enjoy this stolen land that was built by slaves. The very same GOV that shited on them is going to do the same thing to you if you let it. Americans are just giving away their freedoms that were earned in blood casually. If that day comes most Americans will be so obese and out of shape they won't be able to fight back.

Hell how many Americans have guns and know how to use them??

How many Americans know who their congressman or senator is ??

Yet they know about some idiots on a reality tv show it just makes me sad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@marth6352 said:

So would a black person assaulting a white person because of their race count as racism?

Your definition of racism is rather odd.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 no-scope-AK47

@toast_burner said:

@marth6352 said:

So would a black person assaulting a white person because of their race count as racism?

Loading Video...

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Flubbbs

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@toast_burner said:

@marth6352 said:

Loading Video...

my goodness black people are so racist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@toast_burner said:

@marth6352 said:

Loading Video...

How does that prove anything? Just because some guy on a video says something doesn't mean it's true. Besides we're talking about individual racism not racism in the government.

some random redneck doesn't have any political power, does that also mean poor white people can't be racist?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@-Sun_Tzu-: lol stole my post

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 no-scope-AK47

@toast_burner said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@toast_burner said:

@marth6352 said:

Loading Video...

How does that prove anything? Just because some guy on a video says something doesn't mean it's true. Besides we're talking about individual racism not racism in the government.

some random redneck doesn't have any political power, does that also mean poor white people can't be racist?

An individual can be a bigot not a racist. Unless they have social,economic or political power to effect a large group of people by their actions. For example the justice system is racist as 1 out of 3 black males will end up in jail. America makes up 5 percent of the world population but has 25 percent of of the world's prison population. Blacks and Hispanics make up 25 percent of the American population but of more 60 percent of the American prison population last I checked. That is an example of racism.

Not some neck dropping the n-bomb and starting a fight with a African American in a bar. So Black people can't be Racist unless President Obama for example kicks all the white people out the military.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@toast_burner said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@toast_burner said:

@marth6352 said:

Loading Video...

An individual can be a bigot not a racist. Unless they have social,economic or political power to effect a large group of people by their actions. For example the justice system is racist as 1 out of 3 black males will end up in jail. America makes up 5 percent of the world population but has 25 percent of of the world's prison population. Blacks and Hispanics make up 25 percent of the American population but of more 60 percent of the American prison population last I checked. That is an example of racism.

Not some neck dropping the n-bomb and starting a fight with a African American in a bar. So Black people can't be Racist unless President Obama for example kicks all the white people out the military.

So only politicians can be racist? good to know.

Also America isn't the only country in the world. There are countries that are mostly black where their politics are racist towards other races.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 no-scope-AK47

Long story short you need a position power to be racist to effect change on a group. People seem to confuse prejudice/bias with racist. I can for example say I hate Japanese people and beat up a couple of them that is prejudice. To be a racist I would need power to effect Japanese people on a economic,political or social scale in a section of the world. For example I could round them up and put them in camps or drop a couple a-bombs on them or seize their bank accounts. I could put trade sanctions against Japan and limit their military power and charge them to fix back their country after I killed millions of them. I could also depict them negatively in the media ect ect you get the idea now right.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:

To be a racist I would need power to effect Japanese people on a economic,political or social scale in a section of the world.

you're all messed up and wrong.

You do not need power in any way shape or form to be racist. Why in the world you would think otherwise is just beyond me.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@GamingTitan said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

To be a racist I would need power to effect Japanese people on a economic,political or social scale in a section of the world.

You do not need power in any way shape or form to be racist. Why in the world you would think otherwise is just beyond me.

Why is is so hard to understand bias is personal and racism has an negative effect (social/political/economical) on a group. I gave plenty of examples of racism. I also gave examples of bias/prejudice it's personal singular. I also explained why Black people can't be racist as they don't have social/economic of social power in America.

Now Black people can be bigots for example but not racist.

Loading Video...

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Flubbbs

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@GamingTitan said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Why is is so hard to understand bias is personal and racism has an negative effect (social/political/economical) on a group. I gave plenty of examples of racism. I also gave examples of bias/prejudice it's personal singular. I also explained why Black people can't be racist as they don't have social/economic of social power in America.

Now Black people can be bigots for example but not racist.

Loading Video...

you and marth are both stupid and i hope you both do not reproduce