Texas teen makes violent joke during video game, is jailed for months Read more

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ThaneKrios28
Member since 2013 • 1551 Posts

i am mixed on this. wile i agree a 8 year sentence is to harsh but i do think he couldve said something else

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/27/texas-teen-makes-violent-joke-during-video-game-is-jailed-for-months/

Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

Is this another one of those 'make an example' cases? Like that one woman sent to jail for years for uploading an album? If I had a dollar for every violent joke I've heard/read through the internet...

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
"But a Canadian woman..." Blame Canada! Shame on Canada for... The smut we must cut The trash we must bash The laughter and fun must all be undone We must blame them and cause a fuss Before somebody thinks of blaming us!
The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

I guess I should have be sentenced to death, then.

All the times I've joked about violence and ending lives.... good times, good times...

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#5 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Oh yeah, Im real messed up in the head, Im going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts, and the next two lines were lol and jkarticle
Wow this guy is pretty dumb. How can a heart be still and beating?

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ThaneKrios28

Is this another one of those 'make an example' cases? Like that one woman sent to jail for years for uploading an album? If I had a dollar for every violent joke I've heard/read through the internet...

Jackboot343
i think the usa has become way beyond paranoid i will say though i think the kid shouldve said something else and i do NOT agree with a 8 year jail sentence i mean if you think about it now with all of us being monitored its like we have to be careful in what we say
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#7 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

[quote="article"]Oh yeah, Im real messed up in the head, Im going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts, and the next two lines were lol and jkcain006

Other meaning of still.
UltimateviL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UltimateviL
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
That's some BS.. Officials are taking this anti-terrorism **** entirely too far...
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

This is absolutely absurd.  What the hell is wrong with the authorities dealing with this?  This happened in my town, too.  

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#11 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[quote="article"]Oh yeah, Im real messed up in the head, Im going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts, and the next two lines were lol and jkSolidSnake35

Other meaning of still.

What other meaning?

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidSnake35

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="cain006"]

[quote="article"]Oh yeah, Im real messed up in the head, Im going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts, and the next two lines were lol and jkcain006

Other meaning of still.

What other meaning?

Are you still running?
ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ThaneKrios28

i just wanna say sorry for the multiple threads but this one really needed to be made

pass the news along because everyone should see this

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

This got me to thinking:

Why isn't this guy behind bars?

I demand he be jailed!

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ThaneKrios28

I guess I should have be sentenced to death, then.

All the times I've joked about violence and ending lives.... good times, good times...

The__Kraken
heh you and me both
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
Only in Texas. I'm surprised this isn't a capital crime there.
indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

american women are stupid and insecured , always accusing and sending men behind bars for any simple reason and they think like OMG !!! without thinking rationally.

WAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WAJ
Member since 2003 • 771 Posts

Utterly ridiculous imho. It will not be long before you're not even entitled to hold an opinion, let alone voice it. Dystopian big-brother governments here we come...

Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

I'm curious how he got caught. Does the 'my cat typed that' defense no longer hold up? What happened to anonymity? She was able to look up his address, how? Did he sign his name to the post? And what about the 'jk' defense? I thought you were allowed to say anything if you followed it with jk :?

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ThaneKrios28

you know now that i think of it the xbox one just got scarier. if you read this story and think back to the stuff xbox one has this is only going to get worse i say that because if it can happen here it can very easily happen next gen but times 100

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"] Other meaning of still.SolidSnake35

What other meaning?

Are you still running?

Are you still, running? Cause that's what the quote in the article said. Their still, beating hearts.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What a crock of sh!t.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"][QUOTE="cain006"]What other meaning?ShadowJax04
Are you still running?

Are you still, running? Cause that's what the quote in the article said. Their still, beating hearts.

Bad punctuation is my guess.
ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ThaneKrios28

so apparently this was on facebook

abc news

Father of teen charged with terroristic threat says son was only joking

http://www.kvue.com/news/Father-of-19-year-old-charged-with-Terroristic-Threat-says-son-was-only-joking-212856951.html

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Omg overreact? He even said lol and just kidding after. Lord.

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThaneKrios28

Omg overreact? He even said lol and just kidding after. Lord.

Morphic

i take it you never read this and  this is why i think alot of people should not own a firearm  i mean holy hell man talk about major paranoia and over reaction.

School locked down after receptionist misinterprets Fresh Prince of Bel-Air song as threat http://dailycaller.com/2013/03/02/school-locked-down-after-receptionist-misinterprets-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-song-as-threat/#ixzz2Xg83Bueb

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Doesn't this fall under freedom of speech?

I hear alot of really horrible all the time on XBOX.

I've had death threats even, but it's just people being stupid, it's meaningless when somebody is just raging over CoD for example.

pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

That's pretty harsh, but he is a dick anyway for making a "joke" like that. Who the hell thinks that would even be funny?

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ThaneKrios28

That's pretty harsh, but he is a dick anyway for making a "joke" like that. Who the hell thinks that would even be funny?

pawq4
i think the punishment the kid should get is a legal ban from online gaming and social media for 8 years and parents should pay a hefty fine. beats going to prison expecially at his age
UltimateviL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UltimateviL
Member since 2009 • 49 Posts
[QUOTE="pawq4"]

ThaneKrios28
i think the punishment the kid should get is a legal ban from online gaming and social media for 8 years and parents should pay a hefty fine. beats going to prison expecially at his age

Please, don't ever run for public office... The kid was joking. He shouldn't be penalized in any way, shape, or form...
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts
he's being jailed and his sentence hasn't been handed out, he's likely not going to be convicted but in the end it might be a lawsuit on his end against the state, possibly, I mean a preliminary investigation of about 30 seconds on Google of "what does jk mean" would have lead prosecutors or police to dismiss this, yet they pursued it anyways sure, it was an ill taste comment, but clearly no criminal intent was expressed, the kid should also file a slander lawsuit against the woman that called police on him, she probably didn't even believe what she reported she probably just thought she could make trouble for him, I bet her online records can be subpoenaed like from the company of the game she plays, and any other social networking service, for records of her exercising use of internet slang, see if she uses "jk" which I'm guessing is likely and take her ass to court for damages
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#34 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
In modern times, a terroristic statement is something many individuals will not tolerate because of the United States war against terror. The war started against self-proclaimed jihadist and it was only a matter of time before the intolerance of threats spread throughout the nation. I wonder what will be the areas which the intolerance will not act within.
ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ThaneKrios28

[QUOTE="ThaneKrios28"][QUOTE="pawq4"]

UltimateviL

Please, don't ever run for public office... The kid was joking. He shouldn't be penalized in any way, shape, or form...

oh trust me i never would run for a offiice simply because i dont believe in lying to the people to gain a vote  and based on what freedom of speech covers he is not protected by it with his comment since it did * incite actions that would harm others* joke or not

a 8 year ban from online gaming and social media and a fine is a slap on the wrist and beats prison let alone federal if they do charge him with terroristic threats

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ThaneKrios28
In modern times, a terroristic statement is something many individuals will not tolerate because of the United States war against terror. The war started against self-proclaimed jihadist and it was only a matter of time before the intolerance of threats spread throughout the nation. I wonder what will be the areas which the intolerance will not act within. BranKetra
eh true but also note we have become a nation of paranoia lately. and i know i sound like the kid deserves jail wich isnt true i just think given the option my idea was better that is all either way there is going to be some form of punishment weather its from the court or the parents themselves
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#37 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]In modern times, a terroristic statement is something many individuals will not tolerate because of the United States war against terror. The war started against self-proclaimed jihadist and it was only a matter of time before the intolerance of threats spread throughout the nation. I wonder what will be the areas which the intolerance will not act within. ThaneKrios28
eh true but also note we have become a nation of paranoia lately. and i know i sound like the kid deserves jail wich isnt true i just think given the option my idea was better that is all either way there is going to be some form of punishment weather its from the court or the parents themselves

Is this nation paranoid or is it taking preventative measures in order to secure its safety? Answers will vary depending on who you ask.

SandwichLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SandwichLord
Member since 2013 • 44 Posts
I know a guy that was arrested and charged with a felony for doing something similar (ended up getting a suspended sentence). Apparently, in his state, it's OK to say something like that sarcastically, but once you put it in writing, it's a felony. Texas probably has a similar law. He'll probably be found guilty but released on time served.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Authorities are becoming dumber by the minute. But I do think the "joke" was not funny at all. In fact, it was just a teenager saying something stupid. Pretty typical. Then again, this happened in Texas. 

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts
It should def have been investigated....which I guess is being done.....if the Canadian woman alerted police....they did nothing...and he acted.....would you still think nothing should have been done in advance?
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

For all of the people saying it was an overreaction, I guess you forgot about the story where a man bought a shotgun into a community college and shot two women shortly after announcing his plans on 4 chan.

The last thing the police wanted, as well as that woman wanted on her conscious, was for him to follow up on his post even if he put something there that claims it was a joke.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

american women are stupid and insecured , always accusing and sending men behind bars for any simple reason and they think like OMG !!! without thinking rationally.

indzman

It was a Canadian woman that called the cops on him. 

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#43 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Oh crap, one of my previous editorials had "don't say no, I will end you" in it.

See all ya in ~25-life!

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

The father's response shows he is even clueless. He stated that the kid doesn't read the newspaper. OK fine, but does the kid not watch the news? Maybe the kid should get off his XBox and watch the news on TV a bit more with his Dad to know about and that after the Sandy Hook shooting, authorities were not taking any chances and thus arrested him due to his comments, even if they were supposedly in jest.

svenus97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 svenus97
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts
It should def have been investigated....which I guess is being done.....if the Canadian woman alerted police....they did nothing...and he acted.....would you still think nothing should have been done in advance?LJS9502_basic
Are... you... seriously ignoring... the fact... that they... arrested... someone who didn't... even... commit... a crime?
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
Isn't that against the country's whole "Freedom of Speech" thing?
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]It should def have been investigated....which I guess is being done.....if the Canadian woman alerted police....they did nothing...and he acted.....would you still think nothing should have been done in advance?svenus97
Are... you... seriously ignoring... the fact... that they... arrested... someone who didn't... even... commit... a crime?

The threat is the crime.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Isn't that against the country's whole "Freedom of Speech" thing?harashawn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_principle

Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts

While I agree it was in bad context and some form of punishment is ok, is 8 years necessary? Not only would I have to assume there is no previous criminal record, but unless there is any more evidence leading to believe he would/was going to do it, then 8 years is ridiculous and it's a burden on taxpayers money which should be going to those that actually commit REAL crimes IE: Rape, Murder, etc. I understand the need to be more alert to these things, but come on and use common sense!

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Do any these people have common sense? Cleary not, the kid should sue those who responisble putting him behind bars treating him like a terriorst.