Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

https://electrek.co/2020/10/22/tesla-full-self-driving-beta-first-look-insane/

Tesla has finally released (in a very limited early beta) their first public version of their Full Self Driving software for their modern cars. This can apply to any Tesla that has the Full Self Driving camera/radar suite which is any car built after late 2016, provided the owner bought the option at the time of purchase or upgraded to it later. Tesla has been working on their own vision-based system for years and they have been slowly rolling out individual features like automated lane change on highways based on NAV destination, auto-exit on highways, and more recently automatically reading and stopping at stoplights. This new package is their first stab at a version of their autopilot that will eventually require no interaction from the driver in getting from Point A to Point B.

Crazy times.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

That's awesome!!! I'm all for self driving cars I'm biased because I hate driving mostly because I get road rage easily when people are looking at their phones and not the road.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7247 Posts

This is awesome, but it's also weird to think I may never have to teach my kids to drive.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

@judaspete said:

This is awesome, but it's also weird to think I may never have to teach my kids to drive.

I'm already there with no longer owning a manual transmission car to teach them how to drive stick.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Not happening.

Fascinating technology but I simply love to drive, it’s exhilarating. It’s freedom. Especially stick, a skill that anyone and everyone should know how to do. I don’t care if these vehicles are eventually shown to be statistically safer than human drivers, I’d much sooner crash and kill myself than doing so with an automated system, leaving me forever wondering if I could’ve prevented it. Any responsibility that deals in potential life and death is a burden I’d prefer to shoulder and not grant to automation.

I’d be happy with driving up to a storefront, getting out and having the vehicle self-park and retrieve itself to me, though. For small conveniences fine, otherwise I want my hands on the wheel.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Byshop  Moderator

@MirkoS77 said:

Not happening.

Fascinating technology but I simply love to drive, it’s exhilarating. It’s freedom. Especially stick, a skill that anyone and everyone should know how to do. I don’t care if these vehicles are eventually shown to be statistically safer than human drivers, I’d much sooner crash and kill myself than doing so with an automated system, leaving me forever wondering if I could’ve prevented it. Any responsibility that deals in potential life and death is a burden I’d prefer to shoulder and not grant to automation.

I’d be happy with driving up to a storefront, getting out and having the vehicle self-park and retrieve itself to me, though. For small conveniences fine, otherwise I want my hands on the wheel.

I want to be able to go to a bar, get lit, and have my car take me home.

But I also agree with some of what you're saying. I mentioned earlier but I miss owning a stick (my last one was a 300ZX Twin Turbo). Tesla's autopilot (both the wide released versions and this new version) are basically very fancy cruise control features. Even the full self driving one in this video is intended for use by an attentive drive who can take over if necessary. It's going to be quite a while before we get to the point there the car is fully responsible for getting from one place to another.

They are also working on the parking feature you mentioned, though. "Smart Summon" is already on the cars and you can summon the car from a parking space to come get you, provided it's in a parking lot and not on public roads.

Loading Video...

Smart parking is coming later but that's also on the list.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58272 Posts

Can't wait for the day I can own a car that will drive me home from the pub b/c I am tipsy.

Not gonna lie though; it sort of creeps the hell out of me haha. Can't explain it. Maybe too much Terminator as a kid, but autonomous vehicles weird me out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

Yeah it'll take a lot of convincing for me to have complete trust in the system.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

There are already self-driving taxis in some places.

Automation is great but I feel sorry for the millions of taxi drivers.