Teenage boy goes blind after existing on Pringles, white bread and French fries

#1 Posted by loco145 (12134 posts) -

(CNN)Eating a diet of French fries, Pringles and white bread was enough to make one teenage boy lose his sight, according to a case study published in a medical journal.

Scientists from the University of Bristol examined the case of a young patient whose extremely picky eating led to blindness, and have warned of the dangers of a poor diet.

The unidentified patient told doctors he had only eaten fries from the fish and chip shop, Pringles potato chips, white bread, slices of processed ham and sausage since elementary school, and he avoided foods with certain textures. He first visited a doctor at age 14, complaining of tiredness, according to a case report published in the Annals of Internal Medicine on Monday.

His vision had worsened to the point of blindness by 17 years of age, and doctors identified vitamin B12 deficiency, low copper and selenium levels, a high zinc level, reduced vitamin D level and bone level density, according to a statement from the University of Bristol.

By this stage, vision damage was permanent.

Source

Eat your veggies, kids.

#2 Posted by Solaryellow (5160 posts) -

Clearly something is not working upstairs.

#3 Posted by judaspete (3127 posts) -

God that is depressing.

I just spent a day holding my tongue while a friend split a Big Gulp of Coke with her 3-year-old. I don't want to act all holier-than-thou, but Jesus Christ.

#4 Posted by Sevenizz (4061 posts) -

Chalk it up to bad parenting. You can’t let your kids do everything they want.

#5 Posted by tenaka2 (17225 posts) -

Darwin award.

#6 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

Parenting fail.

@Sevenizz said:

Chalk it up to bad parenting. You can’t let your kids do everything they want.

Pretty much this. Probably one of those new-age "I like to let my child make their own mistakes" couples. That's fine, to an extent. But when your child is malnourished, it's time to step in and say "Look, son, you either eat your veggies or no more processed food."

#7 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44352 posts) -

@judaspete said:

God that is depressing.

I just spent a day holding my tongue while a friend split a Big Gulp of Coke with her 3-year-old. I don't want to act all holier-than-thou, but Jesus Christ.

That's terrifying. I can't imagine my niece or nephew (5 and 2 years old) having that much sugar, they'd be bouncing off the walls.

#8 Edited by uninspiredcup (34917 posts) -

Everytime you turn on the news we are constantly being told everything will put you under the ground. At some point, you just stop caring.

#9 Posted by CrimsonBrute (25450 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Everytime you turn on the news we are constantly being told everything will put you under the ground. At some point, you just stop caring.

Research: Coffee is good for you.

-6 months later-

Research: Coffee is dangerous.

#10 Posted by judaspete (3127 posts) -

@crimsonbrute said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-6 months later-

Sure, there is a lot we are still figuring out when it comes to nutrition (mostly because it's hard to perform controlled experiments on a large enough sample of humans for long enough to get good data), but white bread and french fries have consistently been put in the "bad for you" category for quite some time now.

@mrbojangles25 said:
@judaspete said:

God that is depressing.

That's terrifying. I can't imagine my niece or nephew (5 and 2 years old) having that much sugar, they'd be bouncing off the walls.

Right? Not to mention the caffeine. At one point she was talking about how badly her daughter sleeps. It took everything I had not to shout, "Really? You don't f**king say!?

#11 Posted by Speeny (1958 posts) -

Damn.

#12 Edited by Gaming-Planet (20032 posts) -

Makes for a great case study.

His purpose in life has been fulfilled.

#13 Posted by shellcase86 (4521 posts) -

@crimsonbrute said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-6 months later-

True enough, this happens. However, it's noteworthy of who funds the research.

#14 Edited by uninspiredcup (34917 posts) -
@shellcase86 said:
@crimsonbrute said:
@uninspiredcup said:

-6 months later-

True enough, this happens. However, it's noteworthy of who funds the research.

I mean cigarettes are literally death sticks that put people in hospitals to die of cancer, destroying yourself on a weekly basis with alcohol is the norm for many. And we got climate change, which we can basically stop, or at least reduce massively, but opt not to in ignorant bliss.

People won't care, too set in their ways. It's only if you enforce beneficial stuff you'll get anywhere, and even then, good luck with that.

Coffee itself is in trouble as well. Just image how that will pan out when prices go through the roof.

Loading Video...

#15 Posted by shellcase86 (4521 posts) -

Also, wanted to criticize this kid for his tastes. Going blind due to your preference for white bread is trash, at least fancy something with more body or flavor.