Syrian rebels seize village, Christian inhabitants flee, some shot

This topic is locked from further discussion.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

From this news article by Vatican Radio:

"Patriarch Gregorius Laham says three Catholics were shot dead and its Christian inhabitants were forced to flee from the village of Maaloula near the Syrian capital after it was seized by Al Qaida-affiliated rebels on Saturday. Clashes between Syrian government troops and the rebels have been raging for over a week in and around Maaloula, an historic and predominantly Christian village that is home to two of the oldest surviving monasteries in Syria....

Patriarch Laham says that "virtually all" of the Christian inhabitants of the village have fled and that he has been told by some witnesses that the rebels threatened Christians in the village with death unless they converted to Islam. The Patriarch says he believes that some of the rebels that captured the village were from the al-Qaida affiliated Nusra front and some were from other factions.

"Asked for his reaction to the fading threat of an imminent American military strike against Syria, Patriarch Gregorius said they were all very grateful to Pope Francis for his decision to hold a world day of fasting and prayer for peace in Syria on September 7th and said the new diplomatic proposal by Russia has given all of them new hope that diplomacy rather than force will prevail. He said the threatened American military intervention against the Syrian regime had caused fear and deep trauma among the Catholic community there in Damascus"

I don't think it seems like a good idea for the U.S. to intervene in Syria if it helps these "rebels" out, do you?

It seems like Christians in Syria may prefer Putin's plan to the possible U.S. strikes.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
I'm not sure why Obama thinks the rebels are good guys.....
Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
It's such a shame that Obama hasn't used the violent authority of the State to force us all to fund a military effort to help these guys. They're clearly so deserving of aid.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 whipassmt

I'm not sure why Obama thinks the rebels are good guys.....LJS9502_basic
Maybe some of rebels are. It's hard to tell. I don't think air or cruise missile strikes could do much good, if they are too weak it may not change Assad's actions. If they are too strong, then we risk the regime falling, which could lead to Islamists going after religious minorities like Christians and Shiites, violence spreading into other regions, terrorists gaining safe havens, and chemical weapons falling into the wrong hands.

Russia's proposal for Syria to get rid of its chemical weapons may be helpful, but it doesn't really address the violence by conventional weapons. Congressman Chris Smith's idea of setting up an international tribunal to investigate and prosecute for war crimes or similar offenses by both rebels and regime supporters may intimidate both sides into behaving better, and perhaps Archbishop Dominique Mamberti's (I think he is the Secretary for Relations with Foreign States of the Holy See) proposal for a cease-fire may be good ideas.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whipassmt

It's such a shame that Obama hasn't used the violent authority of the State to force us all to fund a military effort to help these guys. They're clearly so deserving of aid.Rhazakna
by these guys do you mean the "rebs".

OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

Maybe it's because he's incapable of learning from the "Arab Spring" debacle in Libya.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]It's such a shame that Obama hasn't used the violent authority of the State to force us all to fund a military effort to help these guys. They're clearly so deserving of aid.whipassmt

Yes. Also, it has nothing to do with Obama thinking they deserve support and everything to do with wrestling control of Syria's oil pipelines out of Assad's hands.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

I wonder if Obama will condemn them or remain silent.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]It's such a shame that Obama hasn't used the violent authority of the State to force us all to fund a military effort to help these guys. They're clearly so deserving of aid.Rhazakna

Yes. Also, it has nothing to do with Obama thinking they deserve support and everything to do with wrestling control of Syria's oil pipelines out of Assad's hands.

I don't think so. We get enough oil from the Saudis we don't need Syrian oil.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 whipassmt

Perhaps an air campaign doesn't really scare middle-eastern dictators:

""As the U.S. marched toward war and we began massing troops on his border, why didn't he stop it then? And say, 'Look, I have no weapons of mass destruction.' I mean, how could he have wanted his country to be invaded?" Pelley asks.
"He didn't. But he told me he initially miscalculated President Bush. And President Bush's intentions. He thought the United States would retaliate with the same type of attack as we did in 1998 under Operation Desert Fox. Which was a four-day aerial attack. So you expected that initially," Piro says.
Piro says Saddam expected some kind of an air campaign and that he could he survive that. "He survived that once. And then he was willing to accept that type of attack. That type of damage," he says.
"Saddam didn't believe that the United States would invade," Pelley remarks.
"Not initially, no," Piro says. "

from: http://www.cbsnews.com/2102-18560_162-3749494.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rhazakna

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] by these guys do you mean the "rebs".

whipassmt

I don't think so. We get enough oil from the Saudis we don't need Syrian oil.

The Saudis are a core part of it. Assad doesn't play ball with them, and that's a real thorn in the side of both the Saudis and the US. The oil-rich countries that try to buck the petrodollar and weaken US influence in the ragion always seem to get invaded, struck or interfered with. What a coincidence. An invasion of Syria has been on the table for ages, I was hearing about the brewing plans to invade Syria years before the rebellion started.
Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

religion of peace

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
blah blah petrodollar blah blah
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

The questionable character of the rebels is why we shouldn't be getting involved in Syria, desite the use of chemical weapons. I seriously hope the diplomatic solution works.

On another note: TC certainly is trying hard to show he's only interested in Christians and no one else.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 whipassmt

The questionable character of the rebels is why we shouldn't be getting involved in Syria, desite the use of chemical weapons. I seriously hope the diplomatic solution works.

On another note: TC certainly is trying hard to show he's only interested in Christians and no one else.

jimkabrhel

How am I trying to "show I'm only interested in Christians"? I'm not only interested in Christians in fact I mentioned Shiites in my first post.

Also as far as chem weapons go, if the regime falls then those weapons can fall into the wrong hands.

As a side note, I just found out today that Pope Francis studied chemistry when he was younger.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Are u happy now ... atheist??
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

"The Vatican today"

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 whipassmt

"The Vatican today"

Jebus213

I didn't notice it said that at the top of the site until you mentioned that and I checked the article and found that.

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

The US wants to depose Assad because he's an ally of Iran, Hezbollah and Russia... anyone who takes the humanitarian posturing at face value in this is falling for the PR claptrap.  Of course this policy is short sighted because supporting the rebels props up this kind of scum which is going to have negative consequences in the region including crass US interests.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Religion of peace.

Also, this is something I definitely disagree with Obama on. I would prefer bombing the **** out of both sides over just supporting the rebels. Not a fan of either side of this conflict....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I'm not sure why Obama thinks the rebels are good guys.....Alpha_S_

The US wants to depose Assad because he's an ally of Iran, Hezbollah and Russia... anyone who takes the humanitarian posturing at face value in this is falling for the PR claptrap.  Of course this policy is short sighted because supporting the rebels props up this kind of scum which is going to have negative consequences in the region including crass US interests.

That veers a bit too much into tin foil hat area for me.......
Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

[QUOTE="Alpha_S_"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I'm not sure why Obama thinks the rebels are good guys.....LJS9502_basic

How?  Countries usually act in their own national strategic interests above all - you only need to look briefly into foreign policy history to see that.  Expecting countries to intervene for humanitarian reasons or to support "good guys" is naive.  If the US really cared about humanitarian intervention it would be in numerous African countries - but notice how troops weren't sent into the likes of Rwanda or Sudan. 

It's only rational for countries to intervene for tangible strategic interests...but that said I still don't see how it helps the US to intervene on behalf of the rebels which includes Islamic radicals who would further destabilize the region and aren't friendly towards the western powers. 

You need to learn more about realist foreign policy my friend.  Read something by Henry Kissinger for instance to get some insight into how US foreign policy decision makers think.

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

you know that the conflict is a three way between loyalist, rebel secularist and "islamist" rebels right?

blame on the terrorist backed rebels if you want someone to point.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6960 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Alpha_S_"]

The US wants to depose Assad because he's an ally of Iran, Hezbollah and Russia... anyone who takes the humanitarian posturing at face value in this is falling for the PR claptrap. Of course this policy is short sighted because supporting the rebels props up this kind of scum which is going to have negative consequences in the region including crass US interests.

Alpha_S_

How? Countries usually act in their own national strategic interests above all - you only need to look briefly into foreign policy history to see that. Expecting countries to intervene for humanitarian reasons or to support "good guys" is naive. If the US really cared about humanitarian intervention it would be in numerous African countries - but notice how troops weren't sent into the likes of Rwanda or Sudan.

It's only rational for countries to intervene for tangible strategic interests...but that said I still don't see how it helps the US to intervene on behalf of the rebels which includes Islamic radicals who would further destabilize the region and aren't friendly towards the western powers.

You need to learn more about realist foreign policy my friend. Read something by Henry Kissinger for instance to get some insight into how US foreign policy decision makers think.

You might want to take your own advice since the argument in favour of a strike is not based on a humanitarian position.

Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

Been that way for Christians there since the Mamluks. Sad really.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
wait, you mean sectarian attacks are happenning in a sectarian war?
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

wait, you mean sectarian attacks are happenning in a sectarian war? BossPerson

It only matters if Christians are killed.

TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts
Eh. Both sides have their good guys and both sides have their rotten apples.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
Its God's plan.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I hope they all die.

consoletroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 consoletroll
Member since 2013 • 416 Posts

I hope they all die.

MakeMeaSammitch
+1
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

People throw around the "tin foil hat" crap far too much. A belief that the government is ran by lizard people? Yeah, that's tin foil hat territory. A suggestion that a military action might not be truely undertaken in the interests of peacekeeping, but rather in furthering national and strategic interests? Not so much.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Muslims get worse everytime I hear about them.  They are so spiteful and ignorant.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I'm not sure why Obama thinks the rebels are good guys.....TheGrinchh
Eh. Both sides have their good guys and both sides have their rotten apples.

There's mostly rotten apples in the syrian war.  On both sides.  It's the frickin' middle east for christs sake.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

Muslims get worse everytime I hear about them.  They are so spiteful and ignorant.

GOGOGOGURT
the idiocy just oozes out of you
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

BossPerson

the idiocy just oozes out of you

At least I keep my wisdom.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#38 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
So after fighting them in Iraq and Afghanistan we will now help them in Syria while still fighting them in other countries.. yup makes perfect sense.