Suzuki XF650 freewind vs Kawasaki KLE 500. Which one?

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Suzuki XF650 freewind vs Kawasaki KLE 500. Which one? (4 votes)

Kawasaki KLE500 25%
Suzuki XF650 freewind 0%

I am in the market for a relatively cheap A2 certified, ADV motorcycle. The F650GS from BMW and the Transalp from Honda both go beyond 50hp, and the limit for the A2 License here is 48HP. A single horse more will earn you a ticket. So it all comes down to the KLE and the freewind.

No Caption Provided

The freewind has a fair in size, single cylinder 650cc engine that outputs 48hp, which means more torque, but it might be thirsty. But the single piston means less effort and cost of maintenance.

No Caption Provided

The KLE has a smaller, parallel piston engine at 500cc, and it's slightly less powerful at 44,7hp. In hindsight it seems to have no advantages over the freewind, but I am told that twin cylinder bikes tend to run smoother and on top of that it has newer models. I also like it more, visually(especially with that color combination).

As far as I know both are very reliable, and I can find both in prime condition. I will use the bike I choose for mild afternoon offroading and weekend trips, but I don't plan to use it as a commuter. So which one should I get? Which one would you?

No Caption Provided

Truth been told, if I could I would buy a CB500X. Very pretty bike and on my level, that I have eyed for quite some time now. But alas, I will have a hard time saving up for the cheaper ones. This one might be left for the future, hopefully.

• 
Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2522 Posts

First one looks coolest IMO.

You're welcome.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

@sancho_panzer: well, to each his own.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

@sancho_panzer: funny thing, I might go for the Suzuki after all.