Study: Vegetarian Diets Are Way Worse For The Environment

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Here’s something counter-intuitive: vegetarianism and other diets could be worse for the environment than previously thought.

Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) researchers published a new study claiming following federal government’s dietary guidelines may cause more environmental harm than experts previously thought based on the amount of resources and greenhouse gas emissions associated with each calorie of food consumed.

Researchers examined the environmental impacts of growing, distributing and storing foods the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) says should be part of a “healthy” diet — basically eating lots of fruits, vegetables, dairy and fish, while cutting meat consumption.

“Lots of common vegetables require more resources per calorie than you would think,” Fischbeck says. “Eggplant, celery and cucumbers look particularly bad when compared to pork or chicken.”

CMU researchers found that while simply eating less without following USDA guidelines lessens your environmental impact, switching up your diet to follow USDA healthy food guidelines “increases energy use by 43 %, blue water footprint by 16 %, and GHG emissions by 11 %.”

Source.

Treehuggers are killing the planet. :(

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

Mhm. Right, sure.. Gotcha ya! Burgers good, apple bad.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

"Eggplant, celery and cucumbers...."

What about meat substitutes like soy beans and stuff? I'm a meat eater, but they don't really sem all that credible.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Yeah, and animal agriculture, which takes up nearly 30% of the Earth's land mass, isn't? One gallon of milk takes on average 683 gallons of water to produce. A 300g steak takes about 3,000 gallons of water to produce. There are too many humans on the planet and the systematic slaughter of animals is destroying our planet faster than all transportation combined.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Nothing worse than the methane release from the cattle industry.

That said, vegetarian diets are bad for the body. Heavily increase the risk of osteoporosis.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Really depends where you're getting your food.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PinkiePirate

@foxhound_fox said:

Nothing worse than the methane release from the cattle industry.

That said, vegetarian diets are bad for the body. Heavily increase the risk of osteoporosis.

And people think it's just cow farts. It's not just cow farts. It's the fact that livestock don't have the benefit of treated waste like humans do. And there are more than 1.4 billion of them defecating every day. That is a TON of methane.

Also, osteoporosis has nothing to do with a vegetarian diet. I'm vegan and there are plenty of ways to get calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. There's kale, almond milk, soybeans, calcium-set tofu, broccoli, okra...

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@MlauTheDaft said:

"Eggplant, celery and cucumbers...."

What about meat substitutes like soy beans and stuff? I'm a meat eater, but they don't really sem all that credible.

It's not, and it's a common trick. Basically they are putting up the highest caloric meats vs the lowest calorie dense vegetables. Vegetarians are not replacing meat with lettuce and cucumbers, and it's not like steak eaters aren't eating salads either. A better comparison would be against soy beans and other protein rich/calorie dense vegetables that vegetarians use to replace their meat intake. Just to make it even clearer, you would have to eat 7+ pounds of lettuce to get the same calories as 6oz of pork. Who the **** is eating 7 pounds of lettuce a day and who is replacing their meat intake with lettuce? It's ridiculous.

I'm a meat eater, just FYI. Also, I haven't read the actual study (it's behind a pay wall) but according to some commentators that have the headlines that the news agencies are running with are misleading. Certain low calorie density vegetables are worse than meat calorie-to-calorie...but the study concluded that overall a vegetarian diet is better.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

I think I heard about this a long time ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

How could you reveal the truth. Something about veggies felt counter intuitive. McDonalds may actually be a 'good' meal

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I will keep the burgers until I hear more information.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

This is one of the dumbest threads I have ever seen.

"As it turns out, pork and poultry emits less emissions than some fruits and vegetables when ranked based on greenhouse gas emissions per calorie." But that's not taking into the account that animals have to be fed. Meaning that when you eat meat you're still eating plants, you're just letting the animal consume the plants first. So the argument of plants vs. meat is technically plants vs. a crapton of plants, there is no way the latter will ever be more environmentally efficient. It's tragic that this article would postulate such an obvious lie.

"'The claim that vegetarianism is kinder to the planet also fails to consider a couple of kinds of meat that aren’t on the Environmental Working Group’s chart,' Haspel writes. 'Deer and Canada geese do active damage in the areas where they’re overpopulated, and wild pigs leave destruction in their path wherever they go. Eat one of those, and do the planet a favor.'" Yes, I'm sure everyone reading this article hunts Canada geese on a regular basis, or knows how to skin a deer. And I'm sure it's common for restaurants to serve wild animals. (excluding fish) What a pointless argument..

P.S. everyone reading this, go to YouTube and search 'high speed slaughter'. Then ask yourself how much you feel like a damn Captain Planet by eating bacon.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

While the mass-farming of certain things (rice in CA, expensive/impractical heirloom varieties of vegetables that should be extinct, etc) can have a negative impact on the environment, I can't see how they are more harmful than the raising of livestack; factory-ranches generally put off an insane amount of gas, while the expansion of grazing land takes away thousands of acres of forest every day in south america.

There is room for both, though, if we just moderate our animal protein intake, and stop growing crops to excess for export. Soil erosion, pest/disease resistance, etc are serious problems.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@PinkiePirate said:

And people think it's just cow farts. It's not just cow farts. It's the fact that livestock don't have the benefit of treated waste like humans do. And there are more than 1.4 billion of them defecating every day. That is a TON of methane.

Also, osteoporosis has nothing to do with a vegetarian diet. I'm vegan and there are plenty of ways to get calcium, magnesium and vitamin D. There's kale, almond milk, soybeans, calcium-set tofu, broccoli, okra...

Osteoporosis rates in vegetarians is significantly higher than omnivores.

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shrek
Member since 2015 • 387 Posts

This is ridiculous. Do they even understand about the ridiculous amount of plant product a single cow must consume before maturity? The article is complete rubbish.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44154 Posts

I'm not a vegetarian but I'm highly sceptical of this report.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

For everyone saying the report is rubbish, the devil is in the details.

"Lots of common vegetables require more resources per calorie than you would think,” Fischbeck says. “Eggplant, celery and cucumbers look particularly bad when compared to pork or chicken."

Celery is almost nothing but fiber and water. It's caloric content is virtually non-existent.

@shrek said:

This is ridiculous. Do they even understand about the ridiculous amount of plant product a single cow must consume before maturity? The article is complete rubbish.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to see how they quantify meat production (i.e. counting the production and consumption of the veggies eaten by the animals as well), but it's not something that can be dismissed out of hand. Grains can have a different impact than something like celery or almonds. Of course, a lot of livestock consume alfalfa as well and that requires quite a bit of water if I recall. There are actually a lot of considerations in such a calculation, and it would be interesting to see what was taken into account.

Shrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shrek
Member since 2015 • 387 Posts

@mattbbpl: it is definitely something you can dismiss. There is no need for a calculator. Eating vegetables trumps cows eating vegetables by a strong six miles. Cows burn several, several thousands of calories a day over the course of the several years we spend raising them for the slaughter. Cows literally eat so many damn vegetables each and every day that they sit at an average weight of 2,000lbs of obese flesh, 2,000lbs from eating damn vegetables for crying out loud. You can't possibly have a lick of rational behind any of that nonsense.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mattbbpl

@shrek said:

@mattbbpl: it is definitely something you can dismiss. There is no need for a calculator. Eating vegetables trumps cows eating vegetables by a strong six miles. Cows burn several, several thousands of calories a day over the course of the several years we spend raising them for the slaughter. Cows literally eat so many damn vegetables each and every day that they sit at an average weight of 2,000lbs of obese flesh, 2,000lbs from eating damn vegetables for crying out loud. You can't possibly have a lick of rational behind any of that nonsense.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely suspect. But it depends on their calculation/vegetables used. Cows are fed mostly grains which are calorie rich, use less water than a lot of other vegetables, don't require refrigeration, etc. If you compare someone who eats a lot of "that cow" from a local source to a vegetarian who has specifically been estimated to eat a lot of calorie-poor, water-use heavy, poorly preservable vegetables that are shipped across the country and then stored for several days, then I could definitely see where their calculations could mathematically add up.

They'd likely be unrealistic, purposely rigged calculations, but they would still add up :-P

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mattbbpl

@shrek: Huh. OK then. Have a pleasant day!

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lol. yeah, lets pretend vegan-ism exists.

if you are not taking supplements that come from animal sources you die.

that's how simple this is.

nobody has moral highground and everyone is basically culpable for the exact same shit.

get over yourselves because you are never going to get anywhere up there on that high horse lying to yourself about the nature of your biology.

it's the most dishonest shit that i can even imagine.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Lol yeah ok... who sponsored this article? American Meat Association?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

All this vegans vs meat eaters bs couldn't be any more dull. I don't give a fvck about animals. As long as they taste good I'll keep eating them, even if my risk of decease or destroying the planet is higher. I don't plan to be here for too long anyway... and I also don't give a fvck about future generations.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

Just the transportation of food across the country is a burden on the infrastructure and environment and contributes a lot to costs. Our entire strategic oil reserve in the US can be depleted in just a year if the entirety of it were used by the government to deliver food across the country. We need to develop new methods of localized urban farming and get rid of our outdated tilling the lands method, we also need to overhaul our department of agriculture to work toward implementing growth in domestic food production and technology and not funneling tax dollars to unproductive farms as a form of rural welfare or to stop giving subsidies to thriving industries because they have the money to lobby for it.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PinkiePirate

@foxhound_fox:

Meat and animal proteins in general have a much higher PRAL score (acidic environment potential) than any other digestible human food. When your body is in a more acidic state, calcium leeches off your bones to help balance pH. A plant based diet consists of foods that are alkaline and basic, which allows your body to sit comfortably in a balanced pH, which keeps your bones strong and cells can function and replicate with fewer errors.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/acid-base

PRAL Scores of various food groups:

Meat and Meat Products Average9.5
Vegetables Average-2.8
Fruits, Nuts, and Juices Average-3.1

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@PinkiePirate said:

Yeah, and animal agriculture, which takes up nearly 30% of the Earth's land mass, isn't? One gallon of milk takes on average 683 gallons of water to produce. A 300g steak takes about 3,000 gallons of water to produce. There are too many humans on the planet and the systematic slaughter of animals is destroying our planet faster than all transportation combined.

I'll take a wild guess and assume you haven't taken a single college-level physics or chemistry course in your life. Cause if you did and you can't figure out what's wrong with your numbers on your own, we'd have a huge problem of professors passing students who don't understand jack shit of their courses on top of pollution.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#30 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@PinkiePirate: It has been four months since the previous response. This thread is being closed.