This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#1 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

So yesterday I was stung in the foot by the above beast. It's a Bark Scorpion, the most venomous scorpion in North America.

Fortunately, that isn't saying much, since its sting hardly ever kills anyone. It does, however, hurt like ****, and the area of the sting has been numb and tingly ever since.

My question: what's the worst sting or venomous bite you've ever received, be it from insect, arachnid or reptile, and what were the effects?

Avatar image for KityKittyCatCat
KityKittyCatCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 0

#2 KityKittyCatCat
Member since 2008 • 522 Posts

Fortunately for me, the worst I've had was standing on a dying wasp. And that was only once. It only hurt a little bit though, and did absolutely nothing else to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
That doesn't sound too pleasant...and that picture freaked me out! I've only ever been stung by bees before. It's uncomfortable, but it's not unbearable.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
I got stung by three yellow jackets in quick succession on my ankle. It didn't help that it turned out that I was allergic to'em.
-Misanthropic-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Misanthropic-
Member since 2009 • 3603 Posts

Never been bitten or stung (Except for a wasp..)

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

I put a sock on once and there was a yellow jacket inside the sock.

He stung me :(

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

So yesterday I was stung in the foot by the above beast. It's a Bark Scorpion, the most venomous scorpion in North America.

Fortunately, that isn't saying much, since its sting hardly ever kills anyone. It does, however, hurt like ****, and the area of the sting has been numb and tingly ever since.

My question: what's the worst sting or venomous bite you've ever received, be it from insect, arachnid or reptile, and what were the effects?

Cherokee_Jack

Wow dude, did you go to the hospital? You're probably not gonna die or anything, but I hear that bites from these things SUCK.

Anyway, the worst bite/sting I ever got was from this little kind of spider...http://www.bighairyspiders.com/usambara.shtml

Not a particularly dangerous spider and it's not gonna kill anyone. It's just a medium sized tarantula. Anyway, the bite sort of sucked.

CrazyLaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CrazyLaser
Member since 2009 • 293 Posts
My guinea pig bit me once..that's it.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cherokee_Jack

Wow dude, did you go to the hospital? You're probably not gonna die or anything, but I hear that bites from these things SUCK.MrGeezer

They do indeed SUCK, in caps, but I wasn't experiencing any of the symptoms except pain and swelling, so I didn't think it was a big issue. I read later that the venom is only potentially fatal to young children and old people, so I wasn't really in danger.

As for the spider, that thing is huge. How did you come in contact with it?

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
from a wolf spider i was playing with when i was young. it hurt and scared the **** out of me, taught me the hard way not to pick up fuzzy spiders.
Yagami-Iori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#11 Yagami-Iori
Member since 2003 • 6327 Posts

That sucks man, least it's not a deadly snake bite or something!

Worst for me waas being sung by 3 wasp in 2 days time as a kid... I had 3 spots all swelled up to the size of a small saucer plate on my legs.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Wow dude, did you go to the hospital? You're probably not gonna die or anything, but I hear that bites from these things SUCK.Cherokee_Jack

They do indeed SUCK, in caps, but I wasn't experiencing any of the symptoms except pain and swelling, so I didn't think it was a big issue. I read later that the venom is only potentially fatal to young children and old people, so I wasn't really in danger.

You like, still ought to consider seeing a dr or something. Just because, like when I got bitten by that spider, I was pretty much saying the same thing that you are saying now. It STARTED with just some swelling and intense burning pain. That swelling and pain then sort of stabilized after a few hours, and it was at a level that I could tolerate, so I basically said "mmph, it's not THAT bad, so I'll just wait for it to wear off."

Thing is, the pain and swelling went away really quick. After about 6 hours or so, most of the pain and swelling was gone. And after about 18 hours I felt fine. The problem is that the venom didn't start binding to my central nervous system until about 36 hours after the bite. And then the REALLY bad effects started to kick in, and lasted for almost a week.

Just saying dude. I don't know if these scorpions are anything at all like what I went through. But if this kind of bark scorpion has a delayed period of time before the REALLY bad symptoms start to kick in, then the bad effects may not have even STARTED yet for you.

So yeah...I'm just gonna assume that you know that you're gonna be okay, and not just assuming that you've already seen the worst.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Just a wasp.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]Wow dude, did you go to the hospital? You're probably not gonna die or anything, but I hear that bites from these things SUCK.MrGeezer

You like, still ought to consider seeing a dr or something. Just because, like when I got bitten by that spider, I was pretty much saying the same thing that you are saying now. It STARTED with just some swelling and intense burning pain. That swelling and pain then sort of stabilized after a few hours, and it was at a level that I could tolerate, so I basically said "mmph, it's not THAT bad, so I'll just wait for it to wear off."

Thing is, the pain and swelling went away really quick. After about 6 hours or so, most of the pain and swelling was gone. And after about 18 hours I felt fine. The problem is that the venom didn't start binding to my central nervous system until about 36 hours after the bite. And then the REALLY bad effects started to kick in, and lasted for almost a week.

Just saying dude. I don't know if these scorpions are anything at all like what I went through. But if this kind of bark scorpion has a delayed period of time before the REALLY bad symptoms start to kick in, then the bad effects may not have even STARTED yet for you.

So yeah...I'm just gonna assume that you know that you're gonna be okay, and not just assuming that you've already seen the worst.

I did call poison control a bit after, and they said it was probably all right. If it was serious, I would have had muscle twitching, blurred vision, etc.
Mr_Oblivio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Mr_Oblivio
Member since 2007 • 898 Posts

One time I opened a door to a shed and got stung right above my upper lip by a yellow jacket. I was pissed, and that nest got sprayed by an excessive amount of bee killer.