Steven Spielberg Won't Direct "Indiana Jones 5", James Mangold in Talks to Replace.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20296 Posts

After a long development process, Steven Spielberg is handing the directing reins on “Indiana Jones 5” to another filmmaker for the first time in the franchise’s 39-year history, Variety has learned.

Sources say, while a deal hasn’t closed, “Ford v Ferrari” director James Mangold is in talks to take the job. Mangold has been put in this situation before when he took over the “Wolverine” franchise; 2017’s “Logan” was a blockbuster, grossing $619 million globally, and earning Mangold an Oscar nomination for adapted screenplay.

Spielberg will remain as a hands-on producer on “Indy 5.” According to a source close to the filmmaker, the decision to leave the director’s chair was entirely Spielberg’s, in a desire to pass along Indy’s whip to a new generation to bring their perspective to the story.

Harrison Ford, meanwhile, is still on the project. The actor recently made headlines speaking about the future of the franchise while promoting his latest film, “The Call of the Wild.” He told “CBS Sunday Morning” this month that he was “going to start doing ‘Indiana Jones’ in about two months,” and then days later told HeyUGuys that the project is still facing “scheduling issues and a few script things” and that “we’re determined to get it right before we get it made.”

When Disney first announced the new “Indiana Jones” film in 2016, with Spielberg directing and Ford starring, the studio originally slated the film to open on July 19, 2019. Then it was pushed a year to July 10, 2020, and then delayed again to July 9, 2021, when Jonathan Kasdan (son of “Raiders of the Lost Ark” scribe Lawrence Kasdan) was brought on to take a pass on the script after original screenwriter David Koepp left the project.

With a new director coming on board, the possibility that “Indy 5” will be pushed once more from its 2021 release date seems likely. Spokespeople for Spielberg and Disney declined to comment.

This was already going to be a busy year for Spielberg, who is in post-production on his new version of the classic musical “West Side Story,” which Disney will release through 20th Century Studios on Dec. 18. But the most successful director in Hollywood handing the franchise that helped define his career to another filmmaker is nonetheless a surprising development. As opposed to the other movie franchises inaugurated by Spielberg — “Jaws” and “Jurassic Park” — the filmmaker has remained in tight creative control of the “Indiana Jones” films, directing every one since “Raiders of the Lost Ark” debuted in 1981 (and earned eight Oscar nominations, including for best picture).

Still, George Lucas, who co-created Indiana Jones with Spielberg, has retired and is not expected to be officially involved with “Indy 5.” The most recent “Indy” film, 2008’s “Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull,” was a global hit, earning $790.6 million worldwide, but it also served as an example of nostalgic excitement for the return of a beloved franchise after many years away, leading to disappointment among some fans in the final product.

One thing is clear, however: Mangold has quite a big fedora to fill.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/steven-spielberg-indiana-jones-5-james-mangold-harrison-ford-1203515698/

Well, at least in Ford v Ferrari I mostly couldn't tell the difference between the CGI and the practical special effects which would be an welcomed improvement on that CGI fest called Indiana Jones 4.

What say you OT, James Mangold: yay or nay?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#2 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 79941 Posts

Well... he did a good job with Wolverine. Maybe he'll do a good job here.

Regardless, I'm not having much confidence in this movie.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnd13  Online
Member since 2011 • 10024 Posts

It's weird knowing that Spielberg won't be in charge of the movie, especially on the grounds of "passing the torch to a new generation". I mean it's the final outing for Indiana Jones as we've known him for decades. This isn't the start of something new and fresh, it's the definitive end. Except if... Disney has a shitty plan in motion for a next gen milking of the character in some other format (Indy's son, grandson, etc.). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Perhaps Spielberg really has nothing new to offer to the franchise, in which case a new director might actually be a smart move. Logan was excellent so I'm confident that Mangold can do justice to the character.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2359 Posts

Get this piece of shit that I'll never watch out already so that I can have my 4K trilogy! The only reason it's being held up. Temple of Doom would be an HDR extravaganza.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5605 Posts

James Mangold, huh? Those are some HUGE shoes to fill. I know Daddy Spielberg will be looking over his shoulder the whole time though.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 263 Posts

Indiana Jones and the lost remote (for the nursing home's community television).

AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7016 Posts

Regurgitating these same series over and over and over is getting tiring, as is Spielberg's formula. I'd be OK with them just not doing this and letting the series end while it's still (mostly) good. Dragging it down into the realm of the generic CGI laden re-envisionings really isn't necessary.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 14975 Posts

Ford vs. Ferrari was legit, so here’s to hoping.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 7352 Posts

Harrison Ford should pass the baton as well. The guy clearly too old for these teen movies.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 5421 Posts

Crusade should have been the swan song as Ford is just too damned old for these characters. His age far surpasses Connery in his supporting role let alone in a starring role of a fifth entry. Is it ego keeping these people in young roles?

AntonelaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AntonelaG
Member since 2020 • 3 Posts

Perhaps Spielberg no longer has anything new to offer the franchise, although he is a producer who deserves my respect. Each movie he made was one of the most viewed and downloaded with savefrom.net by the public. Maybe the new director could be a smart move. Logan was excellent, so I'm sure Mangold can do the character justice.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 25483 Posts

Last one made by Spielberg was a terrible piece of shit movie. Anyone else for the next would be better.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 45336 Posts

Any action scene with Ford in it now is terrible. let it die

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46039 Posts

Well, it can't be any worse than Indian Jones 4 right?

...right?

*looks around for reassurance*

@BenjaminBanklin said:

James Mangold, huh? Those are some HUGE shoes to fill. I know Daddy Spielberg will be looking over his shoulder the whole time though.

I think he is up to the task. Logan is arguably the best movie to be sourced from X-Men material, and I heard great things about Ford vs Ferrari.

*Oh snap, Mangold also did:

• Walk the Line, a really great biopic of Johnny Cash
  • 3:10 to Yuma remake, which is arguably one of the better Westerns in the past few years.
  • Cop Land
  • Identity, a pretty good suspense and horror film
  • Knight and Day, a really fun (although not amazing) spy action film

Guy has a lot of talent and, more importantly, has made some good/entertaining movies.

I am very excited he is going to direct Indy 4

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 18036 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I really liked Identity, although it seems I'm one of the very few who did.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 34628 Posts

He did a good job with Logan and Walk the Line was something I walked out of saying that I thought it would be picture of the year at the Oscars (I was wrong, but I still think it was a big miss on their part).Wolverine was a boatload of adequacy. Maybe this will be good, who knows? I'm pulling for it as big fan of the originals.

@mattbbpl said:

@mrbojangles25: I really liked Identity, although it seems I'm one of the very few who did.

Identity was really good. I think that's literally all the movies I've seen of this guy though. I'm probably not a great judge of him.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46039 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

He did a good job with Logan and Walk the Line and Wolverine was a boatload of adequacy. Maybe this will be good, who knows? I'm pulling for it as big fan of the originals.

@mattbbpl said:

Identity was really good. I think that's literally all the movies I've seen of this guy though. I'm probably not a great judge of him.

Nah man I don't know anyone that doesn't like his movies.

I mean, no one is like "OMG this guy is great, OSCAR OSCAR OSCAR!" but people seem to enjoy all his films.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2359 Posts

Indiana Jones in the sixties, possibly seventies. Gross. SO gross.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 5483 Posts

I thought Indiana Jones drank from the cup of life or some shit. So he's like, immortal man!