Stereotypes for realz?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

manocanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 manocanada
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

Do you truly believein stereo types. Like African Americans can't swim, White people can't jump/dance, Asians are clean/super smart, Native Amercians enjoy gambling, blondes are dumb,ect...

I am not racist and I don't mean for this post to be. But do you think stereo typing originated from jealousy, evolution, culture/up bringing, or is just a load of crap and everybody has there own good and bad traits?

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

There's an element of truth behind every stereotype.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

I think you can always find someone that acts in accordance to a stereotype. However, automatically assuming a person will act a certain way based on their color of their skin or their ethnicity is wrong.

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

No. I'm white, and I can jump pretty high, and a friend of mine (who's black) is pretty good at swimming (and another black friend who was on a swimming team, and is now a lifeguard). Though he seems to be able to sprint through the water (and I'm not joking). I have a fairly moderate sized, oval shaped pool, and he can do one lap around it in probably 5 or so seconds. Takes me near that long to swim from one side to the other lol.

Though I do like to tease/point out stereotypes, and anyone who takes them seriously will probably get more teasing ;).

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Do you truly believein stereo types. Like African Americans can't swim, White people can't jump/dance, Asians are clean/super smart, Native Amercians enjoy gambling, blondes are dumb,ect...

I am not racist and I don't mean for this post to be. But do you think stereo typing originated from jealousy, evolution, culture/up bringing, or is just a load of crap and everybody has there own good and bad traits?

manocanada
Goddamn it. If they're African Americans, us white people are European Americans. If not, we're just blacks and whites, not African Americans and whites. Fvck me, this is one of my biggest pet-peeves.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamerguru100

Oleg_Huzwog
I agree with this.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
No. Stereotypes aren't applicable to all individuals....it's rather a lazy way to categorize people generally done by the ignorant. Sure one can create a stereotype and run into some people in that group that conform to it....but there are many more that don't. Across cultures there are some commonalities....but I don't think that is a stereotype per se. And again...they undoubtedly don't fit everyone.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
Every stereotype has a basis in reality, from which it grows.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

gamerguru100
I agree with this.

I disagree with it. One can certainly notice when an individual "fits" their preconceived prejudices about a particular group....and conveniently ignore/miss the many others that don't fit said stereotype.
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jesuschristmonk
[QUOTE="manocanada"]

gamerguru100
Goddamn it. If they're African Americans, us white people are European Americans. If not, we're just blacks and whites, not African Americans and whites. Fvck me, this is one of my biggest pet-peeves.

I remember making a thread about that not too long ago lol.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
Every stereotype has a basis in reality, from which it grows.charizard1605
Except for the stereotype that people who play Pokemon are lame. That one is all truth.
AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#12 AussieePet
Member since 2010 • 11424 Posts
I never heard of blacks can't swim? lol who came up with that?
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 22Toothpicks
I never heard of blacks can't swim? lol who came up with that?AussieePet
Probably blacks.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Every stereotype has a basis in reality, from which it grows.22Toothpicks
Except for the stereotype that people who play Pokemon are lame. That one is all truth.

No :x
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

they are true if you go looking for them

AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AussieePet
[QUOTE="AussieePet"]I never heard of blacks can't swim? lol who came up with that?22Toothpicks
Probably blacks.

Thats lame
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gamerguru100
[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

LJS9502_basic
I agree with this.

I disagree with it. One can certainly notice when an individual "fits" their preconceived prejudices about a particular group....and conveniently ignore/miss the many others that don't fit said stereotype.

With sports and academics, I can't help think that some stereotypes are true. Blacks are stereotyped as athletic, and when you look at the racial demographics of the NBA and NFL, it looks to be true. East Asians tend to do better in math than other races. I'll agree that not all stereotypes are true, such as blacks being violent and whites being racist. There are criminals and racists among all racial and ethnic groups.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamerguru100

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="AussieePet"]I never heard of blacks can't swim? lol who came up with that?AussieePet
Probably blacks.

Thats lame

Damn, you have almost 10,000 posts and I never saw you during my first couple years. Did you start off posting in forums other than OT? I've spent over 95% of my GS time on OT. Or do you just post A LOT? :P

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

desktop2012071117174022.png

cultural of course.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 22Toothpicks

[QUOTE="AussieePet"][QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] Probably blacks.gamerguru100

Thats lame

Damn, you have almost 10,000 posts and I never saw you during my first couple years. Did you start off posting in forums other than OT? I've spent over 95% of my GS time on OT. Or do you just post A LOT? :P

She's a blabbermouth, bro. It's uncouth to consort with blabbermouths.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"] I agree with this. gamerguru100

With sports and academics, I can't help think that some stereotypes are true. Blacks are stereotyped as athletic, and when you look at the racial demographics of the NBA and NFL, it looks to be true. East Asians tend to do better in math than other races. I'll agree that not all stereotypes are true, such as blacks being violent and whites being racist. There are criminals and racists among all racial and ethnic groups.

Because it can't have anything to do with it being a ticket to college now can it?
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
Never heard of Asians are clean. Most stereotypes are dumb, blak cant swim, white cant jump? are you serious? those two have to be the dumbest stereotypes ever.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

cultural of course.

Socijalisticka
are you for real bro.... "How to lengthen small dick"
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamerguru100
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I disagree with it. One can certainly notice when an individual "fits" their preconceived prejudices about a particular group....and conveniently ignore/miss the many others that don't fit said stereotype.

Because it can't have anything to do with it being a ticket to college now can it?

What exactly are you implying?
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamerguru100
[QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

cultural of course.

Nengo_Flow

:lol:
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"] With sports and academics, I can't help think that some stereotypes are true. Blacks are stereotyped as athletic, and when you look at the racial demographics of the NBA and NFL, it looks to be true. East Asians tend to do better in math than other races. I'll agree that not all stereotypes are true, such as blacks being violent and whites being racist. There are criminals and racists among all racial and ethnic groups. gamerguru100

What exactly are you implying?

That it can help them get a scholarship...hence either a pro career or an education. Not everyone can afford college dude....
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="gamerguru100"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

LJS9502_basic

I agree with this.

Demographic trends, census statistics, etc. You would dismiss them all? Of course you can't speak in definitive terms when applying stereotypes to individuals, but are you really unable to bring yourself to speak in terms of probability?

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 22Toothpicks
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"][QUOTE="Socijalisticka"]

cultural of course.

gamerguru100

:lol:

"Why did my cat die when..." LOLWUT
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#29 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

it's rather a lazy way to categorize people generally done by the ignorant.LJS9502_basic

^This.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"] I agree with this. Oleg_Huzwog

Demographic trends, census statistics, etc. You would dismiss them all? Of course you can't speak in definitive terms when applying stereotypes to individuals, but are you really unable to bring yourself to speak in terms of probability?

Demographic trends and census statistics? :lol: I don't think you understand stereotypes.....
Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#31 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
How else am I supposed to identify groups of people?
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jesuschristmonk
[QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]Never heard of Asians are clean. Most stereotypes are dumb, blak cant swim, white cant jump? are you serious? those two have to be the dumbest stereotypes ever.

I've met a lot of white people that jump like crap. And black people not being able to swim could point at that stereotypical black people don't have access to pools/large bodies of water (especially in cities I'm guessing). I don't think you can just be born with the ability to swim ;).
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"][QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]Never heard of Asians are clean. Most stereotypes are dumb, blak cant swim, white cant jump? are you serious? those two have to be the dumbest stereotypes ever.

I've met a lot of white people that jump like crap. And black people not being able to swim could point at that stereotypical black people don't have access to pools/large bodies of water (especially in cities I'm guessing). I don't think you can just be born with the ability to swim ;).

Have you never heard of public pools?:|
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jesuschristmonk
How else am I supposed to identify groups of people?Wilfred_Owen
Winstead always looks freaking gorgeous in w/e pic/gif I see her in :).
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jesuschristmonk
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="jesuschristmonk"][QUOTE="Nengo_Flow"]Never heard of Asians are clean. Most stereotypes are dumb, blak cant swim, white cant jump? are you serious? those two have to be the dumbest stereotypes ever.

Have you never heard of public pools?:|

I don't live in the city, so I don't know what they have/don't have lol.
manocanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 manocanada
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

I work as a lifeguard and I see more Afric...*cough*black people struggling while in the water than most other ethnicity's.So that stereotype, at least where I work, seems to have some truth.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Oleg_Huzwog

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="gamerguru100"] I agree with this. LJS9502_basic

Demographic trends and census statistics? :lol: I don't think you understand stereotypes.....

I understand stereotyping to be a characterization of a person based upon oversimplified generalizations about people who share similar traits to the person in question. Apparently I am wrong. Please enlighten me.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

Oleg_Huzwog

I understand stereotyping to be a characterization of a person based upon oversimplified generalizations about people who share similar traits to the person in question. Apparently I am wrong. Please enlighten me.

Then you know demographic trends and census statistics don't address stereotypes...
Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

The more I think about it, the more I believe that I am a stereotype.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Oleg_Huzwog

Yeah, stereotypes do have a little bit of truth in them, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I mean, you can't argue with me, but you can't argue with this video.

AussieePet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AussieePet

[QUOTE="AussieePet"][QUOTE="22Toothpicks"] Probably blacks.gamerguru100

Thats lame

lol i do almost have 10,000 post :D im going to have a PARTY you're invited!! nope i got my post high cause people were hating on me and i had fights on here but i started posting 2011 in December :P
Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#43 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
You left out the fact that Asians can't drive.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

People that believe in stereotypes are mouth breathers. Oh, the hypocrisy!

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Oleg_Huzwog

this

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#46 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Oleg_Huzwog

this.

humans like to put other humans in boxed categories. it's easier to categorize and understand then to say "everyone is that special snow flake". it's a defensive mechanism, works well in some cases. We do it by looking for repeating patterns within set groups. but in a world where the first response to stranger is not "kill em'" if they look like a threat, it doesn't work so hot. hence it's best to recognize stereotypes as generally bad, even when everyone is operating under their own ethnocentric biases.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"]

gamerguru100

I agree with this.

I once saw a black guy with chicken nuggets, watermelon, and grape juice. I laughed so hard and he didn't even notice it. :P

But there is an element of truth, usually due to culture.