Spider-Man Possibly out of the MCU! Now back in the Sony Universe.

#1 Edited by ProtossRushX (5696 posts) -

I say good riddance like Homecoming was average, Far From Home was awful.

Spiderman 2 was the best with 'doc ock' and was epic movie like an avengers movie basically.

It was event movie back then they need to get back to that.

I mean I liked spider-man in civil war before he got the ironspider suit and had all these dumb gadgets and fought like captain america. But he sucked with his iron suit and all these arms and just isn't spiderman anymore.

#2 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6900 posts) -

Horrible. Just horrible. Boycotting all sony movies. And disney can also go f themselves.

#3 Posted by Serraph105 (34045 posts) -

I'm hoping this can get resolved so Spiderman can still be in the MCU even if his solo films are not.

#4 Posted by sakaiXx (6070 posts) -

Nice. Hopefully xmen stays separated as well.

#5 Posted by one_plum (6566 posts) -

Spider Man 4 with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire returning pls. Make it happen Sony!

#6 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58923 posts) -

We need a break from superhero movies. Ten years should do it.

#7 Posted by johnd13 (9787 posts) -

Spiderman so far has been a side character in the MCU and the Avengers so I can't say I'm going to really miss him. Never really liked the whole father-son bond with Tony Stark either.

Then again, phase 4 might mean it's time for him to become a prominent figure in the Avengers in which case it's a shame he's out.

#8 Posted by shellcase86 (4528 posts) -

Dang, that sucks. I can understand Sony's position, but hope they can find a compromise. Great character and actor.

#9 Posted by Horgen (121144 posts) -

What a shame imo.

#10 Posted by LJS9502_basic (167140 posts) -

Eventually they'll work something out.

#11 Posted by DigitalNoodle (192 posts) -

Disney needs to buy Spider-Man from Sony. Sony has proven twice that they can't make a good Spider-Man movie.

#12 Edited by sealionact (4165 posts) -

#boycottsony is trending. Fans are pissed that Sony didn't make a deal, and are threatening to boycott Sony films, and PS4 until Spidey is back in the MCU.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/20/fans-threaten-to-boycott-sony-ps4-over-spider-man-leaving-mcu

#13 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36589 posts) -

Far as I'm concerned, Sony and Marvel both screwed this up... BAD! Worse than the James Gunn situation.

And it isn't the first time separate amounts of corporate greed with Sony involved killed something (see: games with another Japanese giant that also f***ed up).

#14 Posted by SaltSlasher (1314 posts) -

I can't believe how many actually give a shit about Spider-Man in the MCU. MCU is going to shit in a handcart. The less Disney has the better, especially after buying fox.

Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Dare Devil, Elektra, Dead Pool, X-Men, Wolverine, and Venom, is the group I would have liked to see in a group of movies/tv shows, cause they are all the comic books people actually like.

No one read Iron Man, Cpt America, Hulk or Antman when i was a kid, they were the lame ones and so were the ones who got cartoons.

#15 Posted by AFBrat77 (26738 posts) -

@saltslasher:

I don't agree, I really liked Far from Home and they had a nice setup for the next Spider-Man movie.

#16 Edited by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@sealionact: Who gives a shit I'd rather boycott Disney. They wanted a 50/50 split after agreeing to a 5% split years ago. They are greedy as shit and without Spiderman they don't have many heroes left people care about. Sorry but no matter how hard they try female thor and Captain Marvel aren't going to appeal to me.

#17 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (15799 posts) -

@r-gamer said:

@sealionact: Who gives a shit I'd rather boycott Disney. They wanted a 50/50 split after agreeing to a 5% split years ago. They are greedy as shit and without Spiderman they don't have many heroes left people cate about.

Not too many except for all of those movies that made hundreds of millions--if not billions that aren't Spider-Man, I suppose.

I wonder if Sony knows what they're doing. It wasn't that long ago they asked Marvel to help them revitalize the franchise after both ASM movies made less than the Sam Raimi movies, and the studio doesn't have too many movie franchises they can milk at the moment.

#18 Posted by JustPlainLucas (79392 posts) -

@r-gamer said:

@sealionact: Who gives a shit I'd rather boycott Disney. They wanted a 50/50 split after agreeing to a 5% split years ago. They are greedy as shit and without Spiderman they don't have many heroes left people cate about. Sorry but no matter how hard they try female thor and Captain Marvel aren't going to appeal to me.

Yeah, I'm surprised all the vitriol went to Sony. It was their character to begin with. They bought the movie licenses when no one else would. Now that Disney sees how well Spider-Man's doing, they want even more money than they have now. Of course Sony would balk at a 50/50 split. **** Disney.

#19 Edited by Speeny (1970 posts) -

Just my opinion, but I'm fine with this...

I didn't like Spider-Man Homecoming all that much. It was a different take, & it was alright in it's own way. But, it just didn't feel like a "solid" Spider-Man film. (Still yet to see Far From Home.) I guess my problem with what I've seen is that it had a vibe and felt like it was forcing the whole: "Hey come & join The Avengers" kind of thing. Like that was in the back of your mind the entire time while watching it. Some people may totally disagree with that. It's just my opinion after all.

I kind of prefer the Spider-Man stuff to be separate from the MCU. I didn't mind the Andrew Garfield movies but Tobey Maguire is still the best imo.

Very good point about what @johnd13 said about the whole father-son bond stuff too.

#20 Posted by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: You mean Avenger movies that featured Iron Man, Hulk , Captain America and Thor? Or all their solo movies? Because all those heroes are gone or leaving soon.

It will also be interesting to see how well these characters carry their own movies now that the infinity saga is over.

#21 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15799 posts) -

@r-gamer: Either/or. I can see Disney treating these characters treating them like James Bond movies, in which they cast new actors in the roles whenever the original actors are done with the roles.

I am looking forward to see what their game plan is. Not just for these, but other, more obscure characters. They managed to make a hit with a team that had a talking tree and raccoon, to everyone's shock, including me.

#22 Edited by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@hallenbeck77: I honestly think you could see a super hero movie crash. Unless they focus on the X-Men they are probably going to be in trouble.

Yes they have made some hits out of some lesser known heroes but the over reaching story of Thanos made fans want to see every movie even if they didn't really care about the main character. I know lots of people who didn't really care about Captain Marvel but had to see it because they wanted to see her tie in with "Endgame". They don't have that over reaching threat to tie all the movies together anymore. So now the characters are going to have to stand on their own.

#23 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (15799 posts) -

@r-gamer: Surprised it hasn't happened yet with Disney, honestly. But it's bound to happen sooner or later. As far as new X-Men movies go, it's probably going to be quite awhile before a new one goes into production. After the last few movies and this summer's Dark Phoenix movie came and went, they're not in a rush to reboot anytime soon.

#24 Posted by the_bi99man (11281 posts) -

@r-gamer: I would assume that they have a plan for there to be another Thanos-level villain that starts to get hinted at pretty soon, and eventually stars as the big bad in the end of the next phase. Question would be, which villain could be that powerful and menacing? Perhaps, now that they have the rights, Dr. Doom? First MCU Fantastic Four movie shows his origin within the next 2-3 years, and sets him up as the big bad, other movies start referencing him until the FF teams up with whoever the Avengers are at that point, and maybe the X-Men too, to fight him in the next huge full-MCU event movie like Infinity War/Endgame.

#25 Posted by R-Gamer (630 posts) -

@the_bi99man: It would have to be DD or Galactus. But you won't see either for at least 3 years.

#26 Posted by jaydan (2488 posts) -

Oh just a healthy dose of corporate drama. I've noticed what Disney has been doing a lot lately, and that is stirring up drama that puts them in the spotlight of publicity. They did this with James Gunn before bringing him back.

I highly doubt Spider-Man is out of the MCU. It's all drama to make more heads turn. What Sony and Disney will be doing is coming to a middle-ground agreement.

#27 Posted by pillarrocks (1556 posts) -

I hope Sony and Disney can come to an agreement. Far From Home left a huge cliffhanger that made me want to see where the next story would go with Mysterio. It reminds me how Amazong Spiderman 2 was setting up the Sinister Six for the third movie. Now it is back to the drawing board and ignoring everything that happened after Endgame.

#28 Posted by johnd13 (9787 posts) -

@pillarrocks: I don't see why Spiderman 3 can't continue where Far From Home left off. It will just ignore the rest of the MCU, which isn't that big of a loss. It's supposed to be a standalone Spiderman movie after all. They've already shoehorned enough other MCU characters like Iron Man and Happy.