SOPA and PIPA your thoughts ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I heard that the blackout worked and they're shelving SOPA for now.

What about PIPA? Did they say anything on that?

cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 cee1gee
Member since 2008 • 2042 Posts

Shinobishyguy
believe thats shelved too..both are indefinitely...its a shame no one commented on my theory though i thought it was interesting
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

cee1gee
believe thats shelved too..both are indefinitely...its a shame no one commented on my theory though i thought it was interesting

yep thank god the bills are effectively dead because the amount of protests and ESA pulling support
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#155 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

I just can't imagine how things would be like if SOPA and/or PIPA pass.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#156 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

I just can't imagine how things would be like if SOPA and/or PIPA pass.

TAMKFan
They're not. They took arrows to their knees. (Yes, that was the supposedly-now-infamous Skyrim meme)
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#157 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Whoops I've saw too late thet there is already a thread for it, sorry for the uneccessary other post so:

Seems like SOPA is dead for now.

http://mashable.com/2012/01/20/sopa-is-dead-smith-pulls-bill/

What do you think about it?

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#158 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
Lamar Smith will very likely write a different bill, one that's probably less intrusive. Still, I don't like that guy. He screwed up once, he can do it again. Anyhow, I don't think the government should be censoring the internet. They should just go to the root of the problem, you know, the pirates. If they can go after Megaupload, what's stopping them from going after everyone else? They don't even need SOPA.
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#159 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Label me a conspiracy nut if you want, but bills like that are just more ways to chip away at little freedoms we have left. The constitution is slowly being modified only to eventually be done away with altogether. Hollywood and the music industry know they will always make money despite copyright infringemnt, piracy, etc but this bill will give them more reasons to make crappy products and expect people to gladly pay for it. The number of people who are willing to honestly pay for good product will always outnumber pro-piracy enthusiasts. The digital world is a literal matrix. Any rules or guidelines forced upon the people will eventually and always be compromised by hackers, crackers and people who are always a step ahead.

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/19/truth-about-sopa/ Fox News is defending SOPA.DarkOfKnight

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/18/sopa-what-it-is-and-why-its-bad/ Fox News is not defending SOPA

I know it is cool and hip to bash Fox News, but that is in the opinion section of Fox News. If you look at the opinion sections of CNN, MSNBC, ect your'll see opinions supporting and not supporting SOPA.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkOfKnight"]http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/19/truth-about-sopa/ Fox News is defending SOPA.Chaos_HL21

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/18/sopa-what-it-is-and-why-its-bad/ Fox News is not defending SOPA

I know it is cool and hip to bash Fox News, but that is in the opinion section of Fox News. If you look at the opinion sections of CNN, MSNBC, ect your'll see opinions supporting and not supporting SOPA.

Murdoch and News Corp are two of the strongest proponents of SOPA/PIPA.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Chaos_HL21"]

[QUOTE="DarkOfKnight"]http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/19/truth-about-sopa/ Fox News is defending SOPA.mattbbpl

Oh jeez, the Simpsons where right all along since early 1990's: Fox IS Evil!

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

What's all this complaining about SOPA, PIPA and anti piracy mumbu jumbo? What's all the big fuss?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Chaos_HL21"]

Justforvisit

Oh jeez, the Simpsons where right all along since early 1990's: Fox IS Evil!

And Murdoch's reasoning regarding this issue seems to be deeply flawed as well.

After a CES event where he saw Google TV demoed (in which a search for content showed up content archived on Amazon, Netflix, etc. as well as a generic Google search), he referred to Google asa "Piracy Leader."

The reasoning? Because Google's search engine doesn't filter out results from illicit sites.

This whole thing is getting ridiculous.

Boston_Boyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 Boston_Boyy
Member since 2008 • 4103 Posts

In other SOPA defending news, Bill Maher came out in support http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7bIDBD6eus

I've never been a big fan of his, but this just made me lose all respect for him. Maybe in part because I expected someone of his ilk to be a little more understanding of what SOPA is, and why it's terrible, and I expected him to be a little less greedy than all the businesses he constantly bashes to justify legislation like Dodd-Frank. The fact that he admits to not even reading the bill, and doesn't even seem to understand the internet in general is the worst part of all. I almost feel like he probably just watched the Republican debate the other night, heard all 4 remaining canididates come out strongly against it, and decided he'd be strongly for it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

In other SOPA defending news, Bill Maher came out in support http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7bIDBD6eus

I've never been a big fan of his, but this just made me lose all respect for him. Maybe in part because I expected someone of his ilk to be a little more understanding of what SOPA is, and why it's terrible, and I expected him to be a little less greedy than all the businesses he constantly bashes to justify legislation like Dodd-Frank. The fact that he admits to not even reading the bill, and doesn't even seem to understand the internet in general is the worst part of all. I almost feel like he probably just watched the Republican debate the other night, heard all 4 remaining canididates come out strongly against it, and decided he'd be strongly for it.

Boston_Boyy
I was just about to post this because I despise Bill Maher. It was fun to watch him get destroyed.
forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
http://maddox.xmission.com/ That is all.
zombehhhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#168 zombehhhhh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

These bills are made to give more control to the government. They want to control everything in our lives at one point, ESPECIALLY the Obama administration. If they had their way, they would control what car everyone drives, what clothes they buy, what news they watch, and where they get their food. The news magazines and networks that are in bed with the Obama administration (Newsweek, CNN, NBC, etc) praise everything that Obama does and wants to have done because so many people are too stupid to do some research and figure out how badly their getting plowed by the US government. This country is going to hell very quickly and if this SOPA thing passes, their will be anarchy. And if SOPA does pass, it won't be long before the government takes control of television, radio, EVERYTHING. This is our chance to stop it because in five or six months, it may be way too late. When our government takes away our freedom of press and freedom of speech (which is exactly what SOPA/PIPA is) people are going to be quite upset and that's when this country will begin to tear itself apart. Just wait and see.

Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts

See support SOPA commercial on CNN. :roll:

At least give up for a while.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#170 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

The Lou Dobbs show was pretty cool to watch before CNN canned him.

T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

If SOPA or PIPA ever pass, I will post a gore video of myself on the internet.

cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
I really wanted Google to not just do a little protest like they did, but like drop their public DNS servers. That would have wreaked havoc and really sent a message.
RisethNameless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 RisethNameless
Member since 2011 • 922 Posts

This is all.

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#174 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts
^^ XD Nice one.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#175 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I really wanted Google to not just do a little protest like they did, but like drop their public DNS servers. That would have wreaked havoc and really sent a message.cell_dweller
I would love that.
wind-OF-s0rrOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 wind-OF-s0rrOw
Member since 2008 • 9166 Posts
SOPA is just nonsense and will harm innocent businesses and individuals without just cause. As a Wikipedia editor I know the pressures that exist over removing copyrighted content. It is not an easy process and a lot of stuff goes under the radar. Also, what jurisdiction does the government even have over this?
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#177 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

SOPA needs to go ahead!

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Miroku32

SOPA is just nonsense and will harm innocent businesses and individuals without just cause. As a Wikipedia editor I know the pressures that exist over removing copyrighted content. It is not an easy process and a lot of stuff goes under the radar. Also, what jurisdiction does the government even have over this?wind-OF-s0rrOw

^^According to the government, millions of dollars are lost because of piracy. With SOPA and PIPA, piracy will "disappear" or lower the numbers, allowing companies that make movies, music, games and all that receive even more money because piracy will be slow down.

All of that is pure nonesense in my opinion. Piracy will always exist and there is nothing companies can do for stop it. The best way for fight piracy is to give potential customers incentives for buy the products and make them think they did a good use of their money.

wind-OF-s0rrOw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 wind-OF-s0rrOw
Member since 2008 • 9166 Posts
Miroku32 - you reminded me of a quote from a previous MPAA president. "Piracy will always be around, we just wanna make it harder" (then he did a creepy evil grin).
TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#180 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

What's all this complaining about SOPA, PIPA and anti piracy mumbu jumbo? What's all the big fuss?

slamminjammin69

Maybe because of how it would change the internet? The internet just be the same anymore if they pass.

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

[QUOTE="slamminjammin69"]

TAMKFan

Maybe because of how it would change the internet? The internet just be the same anymore if they pass.

They are revising SOPA to make it better. When most of the people against the bill are Republicans you kind of have to question if the bill is really that bad.

The only people hurt from this are Piracy websites and search engines and I smell hardcore lobbying happening on their behalf.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="TAMKFan"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

They are revising SOPA to make it better. When most of the people against the bill are Republicans you kind of have to question if the bill is really that bad.

The only people hurt from this are Piracy websites and search engines and I smell hardcore lobbying happening on their behalf.

Actually both Republicans and Democrats were against it. The differences were marginal at best.

dissonantblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 dissonantblack
Member since 2005 • 34009 Posts

i think it's a bad idea. I am all for stopping music piracy. But we need to do so in a way that will not grant absurd amounts of power into the wrong hands.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="TAMKFan"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

The first bolded portion is completely false. This bill has enjoyed bipartisan support.

As for the second bolded portion (in conjunction with our past conversations on the matter), it makes me think you haven't read anything about this bill. For example, the very site you're posting on now would be heavily affected. Twitter, Facebook, Youtube - anything with user posted content would either die or have to be heavily restructured.

Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Banjo_Kongfooie

[QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]

[QUOTE="TAMKFan"]

DroidPhysX

Actually both Republicans and Democrats were against it. The differences were marginal at best.

http://lezgetreal.com/2012/01/a-victory-against-sopa-gop-sens-rubio-and-cornyn-drop-support/

Republicans turned on it when the Search engines started loading their pockets I am sure.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

Piracy will always exist and there is nothing companies can do for stop it. The best way for fight piracy is to give potential customers incentives for buy the products and make them think they did a good use of their money.

Miroku32

That's not a solution that effectively condoning it by ignoring it.

Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Banjo_Kongfooie

[QUOTE="Miroku32"] Piracy will always exist and there is nothing companies can do for stop it. The best way for fight piracy is to give potential customers incentives for buy the products and make them think they did a good use of their money.

alexside1

The problem is that piracy sites increase revenue for search engines. Yahoo,Google will be against any anti piracy legislation. The only reason Microsoft with bing supports SOPA is because they lose alot more money from their Software (games, OS's) being pirated.

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"]

[QUOTE="Miroku32"] Piracy will always exist and there is nothing companies can do for stop it. The best way for fight piracy is to give potential customers incentives for buy the products and make them think they did a good use of their money.

Banjo_Kongfooie

The problem is that piracy sites increase revenue for search engines. Yahoo,Google will be against any anti piracy legislation. The only reason Microsoft with bing supports SOPA is because they lose alot more money from their Software (games, OS's) being pirated.

....That's not the reason why they are against it.........
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Banjo_Kongfooie

[QUOTE="alexside1"] That's not a solution that effectively condoning it by ignoring it.

alexside1

Why because Google and Yahoo care about "civil liberties"? They are corporations and really only want their profits increasing.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

http://lezgetreal.com/2012/01/a-victory-against-sopa-gop-sens-rubio-and-cornyn-drop-support/

Republicans turned on it when the Search engines started loading their pockets I am sure.

Cool. That doesn't negate my post in any way.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="alexside1"][QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

Why because Google and Yahoo care about "civil liberties"? They are corporations and really only want their profits increasing.

Censorship would force Google an Yahoo to alter their results, so yes.
alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 alexside1

[QUOTE="alexside1"] ....That's not the reason why they are against it.........DroidPhysX

Censorship would force Google an Yahoo to alter their results, so yes.

And getting shut down for not meeting an impossible task.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#193 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

kill them with fire

z50macdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 z50macdaddy
Member since 2010 • 498 Posts

Well if the end comes:

MobilechicaneX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 MobilechicaneX
Member since 2009 • 2863 Posts

Why isn't anyone talking about ACTA when it's much more dangerous and even more likely to get passed than SOPA and PIPA?

Posted Image

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Miroku32

Why isn't anyone talking about ACTA when it's much more dangerous and even more likely to get passed than SOPA and PIPA?

MobilechicaneX

This is getting worst each day.

Avatar image for TwighlightBlade
TwighlightBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 TwighlightBlade
Member since 2012 • 872 Posts
I'm all for stopping piracy, but passing this bill would be like firing a nuke into a heavily populated area to take out a few men when a few bullets would suffice.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts
Fileserve and Filesonic just went down!!!!!!!!! FFFFUUUU
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#199 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="TAMKFan"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

Please stop.

DarkOfKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 DarkOfKnight
Member since 2011 • 2543 Posts
The people against this are going just as overboard as the people doing it. I have seen people claiming the USA is getting as bad as 1940's Germany. Seriously? Going overboard is not going to help anything.