Sooo is anyone looking forward to seeing Captain Marvel this weekend despite the controversy by Brie Larson?

• 119 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56067 Posts

Now that various reviews are out, definitely more mixed reviews than I expected and given the press surrounding this movie. Seems like the most negative stuff is about Brie Larson which I can't blame anyone, she's boring as an actress but I really got nothing against her, she's just playing the role of Carol Danvers.

So OT, what is your stance about this controversy surrounding Captain Marvel?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

The aging effect they done is really impressive.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Brie Larson is a good actress. Liked her ever since Room. Or was it Short Term 12, the first I watched? Anyway, not interested in another lame superhero movie. I'm just gonna keep watching my old movies. I hate you all for perpetuating this disease in modern cinema.

I say this even though I'm rewatching Batman: The Animated Series.

I would have cast Ms. Larson over Scarjo in Ghost in the Shell, but that movie would have been weak anyway.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

To be honest I have looked more and more into the whole controversy, and the truth is the reason for everything going on is nobody else's fault but Brie Larson's. Of course all the pseudo-feminist-SJW's are going to call anyone that no longer wants to see the film as misogynists, but that couldn't be any further from the truth and SJW's once again love to throw around misguided accusations.

The truest fact of all, Brie Larson is acting like such a Hollywood elitist equipped with her SJW politics, and that's the last thing audiences want in a film that's meant to be escapism from our own reality. Brie Larson is not even a big-name actor. She hardly has any recognizable film credentials to her name so she can't just get away with being such an elitist when hardly anyone knew her name before Captain Marvel. It does not help the matter that people mostly know her name now as being an SJW-bigot. Brie Larson really put her foot in her mouth without ever earning respect from audiences in the first place.

Timing has really done such a toll on Captain Marvel and the types of words that get tossed around. It can be argued that other actors in the MCU are big SJW's too, but most other actors did not bother cramming their politics down people's throats before making their characters into something iconic. No one knows anything about Captain Marvel - she is anything but an iconic character, yet here we have the actor taking entitlement to a whole new level.

Captain Marvel has only been rebooted in the comics so many times. Her comics just aren't popular and she's been rejected many times by comic readers, yet Marvel constantly insists on rebooting her character. Why is that? I guess Marvel had an epiphany that they lack iconic female heroes that push their own weight, and it's their desperation to shoehorn such a character into the spotlight to catch up to Wonder Woman - an iconic female hero that's engraved in pop culture. I guess Marvel wanted to catch up but the results are turning out to be anything but genuine and that's why people are pissed.

Captain Marvel now brings ups a problem with Endgame. People are genuinely worried now about the results that will come to Endgame. A lot of speculation points towards the possibility that Captain Marvel is just going to hop in Endgame and basically win the day. If that ends up being the case that would be one of the biggest middle fingers to the MCU and the ten years Marvel took establishing all the other characters and their emotional arks revolving around Thanos. Most people will feel completely copped out if the original Avengers are not the ones that defeat Thanos and it ends up just being Captain Marvel jumping in from no where with unprecedented powers that ends up defeating him. If that ends up being the case then Endgame might truly be the end of the MCU, and no one will care about anything that comes after it.

I think Marvel took quite a gamble with this character, and the unsavory antics of the actress in question here might potentially be the worst ingredient they could have tossed into the formula. Marvel is treading in dangerous waters now and if they don't play their cards right with a character that has been disliked long before the movies even became a thing, Marvel's fortune might start to hit a downhill, and that will be nobody else's fault but Brie Larson and Marvel's faith in the character.

I am going to go ahead and see the movie, and because I'll see the Marvel movies. It's a piece of the MCU puzzle. I will keep my expectations unbiased, but at the same time I'm hoping it's not going to hijack all the buildup we've had over the course of ten years. Audience members are way more invested in the characters that have been built up over years, and it won't be right if they don't finish their business.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

What "controversy"?

Don't mistake me for a SJW, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there is no controversy, and all the angry little men, incels, and otherwise "toxic" folks are trying to make mountains out of molehills.

@ezekiel43 said:

Brie Larson is a good actress. Liked her ever since Room. Or was it Short Term 12, the first I watched?

Yes I thought she was very good in Room.

@davillain- said:

Now that various reviews are out, definitely more mixed reviews than I expected and given the press surrounding this movie. Seems like the most negative stuff is about Brie Larson which I can't blame anyone, she's boring as an actress but I really got nothing against her, she's just playing the role of Carol Danvers.

So OT, what is your stance about this controversy surrounding Captain Marvel?

I wouldn't say she is boring as an actress. I have not seen her in Captain Marvel, but in other films she has been great.

You know who is a boring actress? Carol Delevingne. Kristen Stewart. Jennifer Garner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I am not hyped for this movie but my friends are forcing me to watch it.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

The same people who look past a man's sexual assault allegations or an actor generally being a scumbag saying that they dont have a problem separating a person from their art so they can continue watching the stuff they enjoy will also tell you that they have a problem with Brie Larson's support of feminism and inclusivity and thus refuse to give her movie a chance.

Anyways, yes, I intend to go see Captain Marvel. After 20 movies that range from above average to excellent, the people behind the MCU have my trust at this point. They didn't break it when they made a movie with a talking racoon in it, and I highly doubt they will break it with this movie either.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

What controversy? Haven't heard anything controversial being discussed on the news or media outlets.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

yeah ill see it on friday

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Don't mistake you as an SJW? You are the definition of a far left SJW.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

I'm not going to see it in theaters because I simply don't give a shit about the character. It's a good thing Marvel got the rights to X-men back because they are scraping the bottom of the barrel for relevant characters.

I will check it out on Red Box though before Endgame.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator

@shellcase86 said:

What controversy? Haven't heard anything controversial being discussed on the news or media outlets.

I'll keep this short. She essentially said that there should be a better platform for different racial/gender groups to have their voices heard. She commented on the abundance of white male critics and particularly highlighted "A Wrinkle in Time" as a movie targeted towards an older African-American female crowd that should be reviewed by more older African-American females. I didn't watch A Wrinkle in Time was due to heavy CGI usage in that film and it look too janky to me, so I can't comment on that movie.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Made up controversy from some insecure men. Meh. Anyway I watch the Marvel movies so I will see it at some point.

Also at 82% currently on RT so I'd say it's getting good reviews.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 judaspete  Online
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

Probably not this weekend, but I plan to see the movie eventually. I finally watched Infinity War last week, so it may be a while.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@mrbojangles25: where we're all the angry little incels on Alita?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#16 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

As many have said what Controversy? and also who is Brie Larson? Don´t recall ever seeing her in anything so how can a new blank slate have any controversy?

As to Captain Marvel, not seen anything good from the trailers that will make me watch in the theatre, so as many other movies it will be a straight to Blu-ray/Netflix movie for me.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

So we're going to have a bunch of people whining again next year if this shows up at the Oscars basically, cool.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

Looking forward to it but I will not be seeing it till next month. I always wait at least 3 weeks before seeing a movie as I don't like dealing with the crowds at new movies. Marvel movies are pretty much the only thing I see at theaters anymore.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
@mandzilla said:

So we're going to have a bunch of people whining again next year if this shows up at the Oscars basically, cool.

What makes you think this one will get to the Oscars?

It´s a single white female not a "trend-setting" movie with an almost entirely black cast. :)

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#20 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Captain Marvel is a part of a movie franchise that has been going on for over 10 years now. Alita was based off a cult classic manga and kind of came out of nowhere.

The simple fact is that this "controversy" surrounding Captain Marvel is possibly the dumbest thing since the "controversy" surrounding the Battlefield 5 trailer having a female soldier in it. Speaking as someone who will not be seeing either CM or Alita/ does not play Battlefield.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#21 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

@davillain- said:
@shellcase86 said:

I'll keep this short. She essentially said that there should be a better platform for different racial/gender groups to have their voices heard. She commented on the abundance of white male critics and particularly highlighted "A Wrinkle in Time" as a movie targeted towards an older African-American female crowd that should be reviewed by more older African-American females. I didn't watch A Wrinkle in Time was due to heavy CGI usage in that film and it look too janky to me, so I can't comment on that movie.

Doesn't really have anything to do with the movie, sort of a non-issue.

Agree or disagree, move on.

EvanTheGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EvanTheGamer
Member since 2009 • 1550 Posts

I am and I’m also sure the movie will still do well despite her toxic comments.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

What "controversy"?

Apparently people are unhappy that a female superhero has a movie based and surrounded on her. I guess only the male toons are supposed to get movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts
@Solaryellow said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

What "controversy"?

Apparently people are unhappy that a female superhero has a movie based and surrounded on her. I guess only the male toons are supposed to get movies.

hum, no? If that was the reason why did Wonder Woman faired well?

It has rather to do with some more recent comments by Brie Larson. Inform yourself first

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Solaryellow

@Vatusus said:
@Solaryellow said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

What "controversy"?

hum, no? If that was the reason why did Wonder Woman faired well?

It has rather to do with some more recent comments by Brie Larson. Inform yourself first

W.W. isn't Marvel. Captain Marvel has never been a W.W. caliber figure. When it comes to this film there is plenty of "controversy" to go around having nothing to do with the actress's comments. Inform yourself unless you enjoy looking foolish.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I don’t care for superhero movies so this wasn’t on my radar but man, what an embarrassment this Brie woman has become. This could ruin her career.

I think she’s ‘cheesy’.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Solaryellow said:

W.W. isn't Marvel. Captain Marvel has never been a W.W. caliber figure. When it comes to this film there is plenty of "controversy" to go around having nothing to do with the actress's comments.

WW is still a female superhero, thus your comment was wrong. You're reasoning for CM not having the same "caliber" as WW is asinine. If people cared about female superheros by themselves WW would be hated aswell and it wasnt. So, again, you're comment was wrong

When it comes to this film there is plenty of "controversy" to go around having

such as...?

As far as I know the rotten tomatoes percentage of people who wanted to see the movie only droped drastically when Larson made the comments. So again, wtf are u talkin about?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Solaryellow

@Vatusus said:
@Solaryellow said:

W.W. isn't Marvel. Captain Marvel has never been a W.W. caliber figure. When it comes to this film there is plenty of "controversy" to go around having nothing to do with the actress's comments.

WW is still a female superhero, thus your comment was wrong. You're reasoning for CM not having the same "caliber" as WW is asinine. If people cared about female superheros by themselves WW would be hated aswell and it wasnt. So, again, you're comment was wrong

such as...?

As far as I know the rotten tomatoes percentage of people who wanted to see the movie only droped drastically when Larson made the comments. So again, wtf are u talkin about?

I'm wrong because you don't agree with me? Most people wouldn't know Ms. Marvel (you know why I didn't say Captain Marvel, yes) if they were offered money. Wonder Woman is an entirely different character x1000 over when compared with the toon in question. If you haven't noticed, female super hero movies are not high in demand, per se. Not taking anything way from Diana but her movie isn't even in the top 15 of the highest grossing super hero movies. If you were as knowledgeable on the topic as you pretend to be, you'd be aware the controversial opinions have to do with the character and giving a female super hero a solo movie when she doesn't fit the caliber. If you were on the internet last year you would have read about it because the controversy has been festering for a while and some might be valid while some not.

Edit: In terms of MOVIES with female superhero leads, do you have any idea how many have been released in the past 35 years? I bet you don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#30 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I probably won't see Captain Marvel, just like I probably won't see a lot of other Marvel movies I missed. I'll likely go see the next Avengers since that's kinda the culmination of things.

I'm not the biggest super hero geek to begin with.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Solaryellow said:
@Vatusus said:
@Solaryellow said:

such as...?

I'm wrong because you don't agree with me? Most people wouldn't know Ms. Marvel (you know why I didn't say Captain Marvel, yes) if they were offered money. Wonder Woman is an entirely different character x1000 over when compared with the toon in question. If you haven't noticed, female super hero movies are not high in demand, per se. Not taking anything way from Diana but her movie isn't even in the top 15 of the highest grossing super hero movies. If you were as knowledgeable on the topic as you pretend to be, you'd be aware the controversial opinions have to do with the character and giving a female super hero a solo movie when she doesn't fit the caliber. If you were on the internet last year you would have read about it because the controversy has been festering for a while and some might be valid while some not.

*sigh, you severely lack reading comprehension...

You're not wrong for saying CM isnt as known as WW, you're wrong for saying CM is being trashed for being a female superhero movie, wich is a stupid reply. No one had a problem with CM until Brie Larson opened her mouth and started with all the SJW bullcr4p. The rotten tomatoes percentage of people who wanted to see the movie was actually pretty high until she opened her mouth. Learn the facts first

Black Panther also wasnt a very known character before its movie but alas, one of the highest grossing Marvel movies ever, go figure. No one knew about Guardians of the Galaxy either... until they got a movie. Just because CM isnt well known doesnt mean people didnt want to see her. Why? Because it still would have the Marvel "quality" seal in it. Its still a marvel movie, off course people would want to see it and off course it would fair well... now we'll see how much Larson comments will f*ck up its tickets estimates

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Solaryellow

@Vatusus said:
@Solaryellow said:

*sigh, you severely lack reading comprehension...

You're not wrong for saying CM isnt as known as WW, you're wrong for saying CM is being trashed for being a female superhero movie, wich is a stupid reply. No one had a problem with CM until Brie Larson opened her mouth and started with all the SJW bullcr4p. The rotten tomatoes percentage of people who wanted to see the movie was actually pretty high until she opened her mouth. Learn the facts first

Black Panther also wasnt a very known character before its movie but alas, one of the highest grossing Marvel movies ever, go figure. No one knew about Guardians of the Galaxy either... until they got a movie. Just because CM isnt well known doesnt mean people didnt want to see her. Why? Because it still would have the Marvel "quality" seal in it. Its still a marvel movie, off course people would want to see it and off course it would fair well... now we'll see how much Larson comments will f*ck up its tickets estimates

New to the internet, huh? People have been bitching about the movie for quite a while well before the chick opined. She isn't making things better but the issues came to fruition a while ago. Like it or not, that's how it goes. Search online and broaden your horizons.

B.P. is not a female lead. GofG is again, not a female lead movie. If the demand was there, more of such films would be made. For whatever reason(s) people seem more interested in the female hero playing a secondary role or something like you see in the Avengers rather than a full on lead.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@Jacanuk: Don't see what race has to do with it. Anyway, Marvel films seem pretty popular these days so wouldn't be surprised if it got nominated. Depends on what else comes out this year I guess.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't care much about superhero movies. I haven't seen any material here to reel me in. I am more interested in seeing Black Panther at some point.

I find this interesting:

@Solaryellow said:

[...] For whatever reason(s) people seem more interested in the female hero playing a secondary role or something like you see in the Avengers rather than a full on lead.

I wonder. It could be the case. Hmm it's easy to speculate but it would be interesting to know what's happening there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

@Solaryellow said:

New to the internet, huh? People have been bitching about the movie for quite a while well before the chick opined.

Do you have any quantifiable data? I have and already provided it: rotten tomatoes percentage of people who wanted to see it

I havent seen any major "hate" towards it before Larson opened her mouth. And no, I'm not "new to the internet". This discussion is stupid anyway. You are factually wrong if you think people are trashing the movie because its about a female superhero. You're yet another typical "progressive" with the victimhood complex attached

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

It's basically a Dragonball movie with Marvel writing. Nothing much happens for the first hour and a half, then she turns supersayan and beats the crap out of everyone until all the baddies are gone. I really liked the duo with Jackson, the bad motherfucker could legit singlehandedly carry any bad movie to decent/good quality.

It's a decent movie overall, but it only keeps people's attention because of the ending scene in Avengers IW. I'd say it's the second worst MCU movie, right before Black Panther.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#37 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@davillain-:

Looks like another movie sabotaged by the insecure, right winger base of degenerate men.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 N30F3N1X
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@davillain-:

Looks like another movie sabotaged by the insecure, right winger base of degenerate men.

Sounds like a very convenient scapegoat for whenever a movie whose selling point is not how good it actually is, does not do well financially.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I hope I get repayed by reading all of Brie Larson articles because I'm giving her attention and clicks. Along with other celebs, artists and youtubers.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

@Solaryellow said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

What "controversy"?

Harley Quinn, Birds of prey, solo black widow movie and Wonder Woman 1984 to name a few that people wont react to like they did with captain marvel. It's not because of a female super hero at all. Your the kind of persons who says the same thing about female video game characters. We dont care, we just want good entertainment without any SJW, This is just a repeat of Ghostbusters all over agian bring politics into entertainment when there shouldn't be any.

@davillain- said:
@shellcase86 said:

Yeah she didn't say anything bad, its fair you make a movie for a specific audience the movie should be reviewed by that audience, but by using her logic, white man should review the movie since superhero movies main demographic is white men.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: Yeah sure, or its a bland movie with a poor lead actress. But yeah men bad, derp,

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Just got back from seeing it...

Its ok, but then again, I'm not a superhero movie guy that enjoys 10+ superhero movies a year, its too much.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Bunch of of losers bent out of shape about nothing. People need to quit manufacturing outrage and just be adults. I don't plan on seeing it but it's def. not because of what she said.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58299 Posts

@blackhairedhero said:

@mrbojangles25: Don't mistake you as an SJW? You are the definition of a far left SJW.

I'm actually a moderate. I think you are just so far to the right you have lost all sense of direction, i.e. anyone to the left of your opinions is a "far left SJW".

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@mrbojangles25: where we're all the angry little incels on Alita?

Probably trying not to fap?

@davillain- said:
@shellcase86 said:

Ah, I see. Well that is a pretty silly comment on her part. While you can make a movie for a target demographic, you can still review based on objective metrics, so in theory any professional, educated critic can review any movie and be fair about it. There's always going to be some opinion in there, but it's generally pretty obvious.

So the real concern is not who is reviewing the movie, then; the concern is what reviewers are we taking seriously.

Also, what is her solution? Create jobs for older black women as reviewers? Limit the amount of reviews that can be done by white men? I'm all for striving for ideals, but let's keep it realistic.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@ezekiel43: "I say this even though I'm rewatching Batman: The Animated Series."

Now that's a TV show.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@davillain- said:
@shellcase86 said:

I saw A Wrinkle in Time. I am in no way turned off from the movie by the diversity in the casting, but the movie itself just wasn't that good. It got a pretty fair shake from critics. There were a lot of cool ideas but it just felt way too disjointed and the dialog unnatural. Oprah and Mindy deserved a better movie than this, but there's a lot of YA material out there that ends up a half-baked movie these days, though, regardless of the quality of the source. I haven't read the book but my wife loved it although she didn't think it was a story that would make a particularly sound movie.

At least The Golden Compass is getting a reboot. :)

-Byshop

Elpresador-911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Elpresador-911
Member since 2013 • 1096 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: 66 on metacritic is mediocre, also you’re the last person to complain about “insecure men”. You misogynistic Ariana Grande hater.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 N30F3N1X

@npiet1 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

What "controversy"?

Harley Quinn, Birds of prey, solo black widow movie and Wonder Woman 1984 to name a few that people wont react to like they did with captain marvel. It's not because of a female super hero at all. Your the kind of persons who says the same thing about female video game characters. We dont care, we just want good entertainment without any SJW, This is just a repeat of Ghostbusters all over agian bring politics into entertainment when there shouldn't be any.

It's not that bad. Larson said something hilariously stupid with her "too white, too male" comment but it was a single voice and it only happened when the film was already close to being released. In Ghostbusters the whole team save the two males in it, Heimsworth and Murray, was in tune with those outlandish declarations and the whole movie was done with that mindset in mind.

I will admit the whole movie doesn't look like much when compared to other MCU products, it's really your average superhero flick with an added "wahmen can do superpowers too" flavor, there is not much character development or a really good story behind it. With that said, it never gets into politics or puts stronk wahmynhood scenes before actual cinematic value, so it's nowhere near as bad as the Last Jedi or Ghostbusters.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaVillain  Moderator

@Byshop said:
@davillain- said:
@shellcase86 said:

I saw A Wrinkle in Time. I am in no way turned off from the movie by the diversity in the casting, but the movie itself just wasn't that good. It got a pretty fair shake from critics. There were a lot of cool ideas but it just felt way too disjointed and the dialog unnatural. Oprah and Mindy deserved a better movie than this, but there's a lot of YA material out there that ends up a half-baked movie these days, though, regardless of the quality of the source. I haven't read the book but my wife loved it although she didn't think it was a story that would make a particularly sound movie.

At least The Golden Compass is getting a reboot. :)

-Byshop

Wait really? I actually like Golden Compass movie and I didn't it's getting a reboot! Good to know :)

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

The movie isn’t very high on my list, and from reports I read there isn’t anything in it that directly ties it into Endgame so it isn’t a must-see for me before Endgame comes out. I will watch it eventually, but I don’t see myself watching it this weekend. The mixed reviews aren’t helping, and people trying to claim that the bad reviews are just misogonists are not helping the situation.

In terms of the controversy, Brie Larson is an American and has a First Amendment right to say what she wants. She just has to realise that there may be financial consequences to what she says. I am not a white male, but the vast majority of comic book fans that would have even known who Carol Danvers is (a lot of people probably thought of Billy Batson before Carol Danvers when the name Captain Marvel was mentioned) are going to be white males.

I’ve seen some people actually call moviegoers that are boycotting Captain Marvel in favor of watching Alita again as racist (not just sexist). Ironic, considering that Brie Larson is a white woman and Rosa Salazar is of Peruvian descent. Then, there was that tweet from The Mary Sue linking to their article claiming that all bad reviews for the movie were from men, which was quickly ratioed and discredited.