Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

Taken from Twitter:

I'm more shock that Sonic design based on the games looks alot better then the one were getting and proof that Sonic's original model and style would have worked just fine.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

I'm wondering after all of this hatred what Paramount plans to do, if anything at all.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

And there is now an official response from the director:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832

It says that they heard the criticism, and will change the design of Sonic before the movie opens.

In other words: The studio crapped a brick after the public reaction to the trailer, and with all of the money that's invested in not just this movie, but the inevitable merchandising, they are gonna scramble to get their this fixed before release.

They can't afford to delay this movie--opening during the December holiday blitz AND against Star Wars is suicide, and so is opening during January and February.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 DaVillain  Moderator

@hallenbeck77 said:

And there is now an official response from the director:

https://mobile.twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832

It says that they heard the criticism, and will change the design of Sonic before the movie opens.

In other words: The studio crapped a brick after the public reaction to the trailer, and with all of the money that's invested in not just this movie, but the inevitable merchandising, they are gonna scramble to get their this fixed before release.

They can't afford to delay this movie--opening during the December holiday blitz AND against Star Wars is suicide, and so is opening during January and February.

It is so obvious that Sonic looked like shit from the get-go! First impression is last impression and I can't fathom what kind of location test they ran before unleash that abomination to the world. Also, even if they copy/paste Sonic from the video games and look like the one I post above from Twitter, the damage is already done unless they actually release trailer #2 with a better Sonic design, (and music but it better be from any Sonic games) then Paramount & Sega have redeem themselves. I was still gonna go see this anyways only because Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik will carried the film from start/end.

Even Movies getting "day one patches" now lol.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#55 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@davillain-: Those eyes would look weird in live-action. I think this version looks better:

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DaVillain  Moderator

@Jag85 said:

@davillain-: Those eyes would look weird in live-action. I think this version looks better:

I will admit, that looks much better then the one I post. If Paramount can make it look like that, I'm on-board for this movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Redesigning Sonic won't stop this movie from sucking.

Even the voice is generic. Sounds like so many modern comedies, instead of Sonic.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@davillain- said:

It is so obvious that Sonic looked like shit from the get-go! First impression is last impression and I can't fathom what kind of location test they ran before unleash that abomination to the world. Also, even if they copy/paste Sonic from the video games and look like the one I post above from Twitter, the damage is already done unless they actually release trailer #2 with a better Sonic design, (and music but it better be from any Sonic games) then Paramount & Sega have redeem themselves. I was still gonna go see this anyways only because Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik will carried the film from start/end.

Even Movies getting "day one patches" now lol.

No doubt this will get a second trailer as the release date gets closer. They've invested so much in this, they're hoping for a new film franchise with this. They can't afford NOT to fix it.

But like the saying goes. "You don't get a second chance to make a first impression." The damage is already done--they already ruined Sonic's look with his fans, and forever ruined an ok song from the 1990s with the trailer. You can't never listen to it again without thinking of the trailer.

Not for nothing but Paramount has been making questionable decisions when it comes to their movies lately. A live-action teenaged Dora the Explorer movie, this one, and just last week, they announced a live-action Rugrats movie. Why?

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@Jag85: If they make it look like that they have my money. I'm probably one of the few that thought the trailer looked decent minus Sonics odd look.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@ezekiel43 said:
Loading Video...

Ah, that's better. Not a good anime, but I'd still rather watch it a second time. Mobius is much more appealing to me than Sonic in our world.

I watched the 1st 5mins and Sonic seems like a jerk?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts
@hallenbeck77 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Gangsters In Paradise? Ooooo......k

That HAS to be some out-of-touch studio exec's decision to use that song because it's "edgy". You're advertising a movie whose main character's trademark is speed--why not have a fast tempo pop or rock song--even if it's an old one--to emphasize that speed? Actually, the whole production seems to be nothing but a reaction to the upcoming Pokemon movie.

If Pokemon Detective Pikachu has a "so crazy that it just might work" vibe to it, this is the EXACT polar opposite of that. It MIGHT get some coin from people hate-watching it, but this has train wreck all over it.

does coolio's brother work for the studio?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@jaydan said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@jaydan said:
@ezekiel43 said:

It's going to be a box office failure.

Also, I am so done with CG animations. Way to make them completely unappealing by producing nothing but, Hollywood. Until they start making traditional animations again, I will continue to ignore all of them. I find drawings much more charming.

I don't think it's so much computer animated films that are a problem. I think history has shown that live-action with computer animated characters spliced into them clearly do not work as they always enter the uncanny valley.

Well, I'm talking about all CG animations. There isn't a single one I can think of that wouldn't look better drawn. I didn't used to dislike them so much. I watched and enjoyed them. But the abundance of them and the death of the old just makes me want to ignore them all now. I'm not counting TV shows and foreign movies. There obviously still are traditionally animated ones.

See, I can't take that as seriously, though. Because Pixar has proven to be a major achiever in computer animation. You can't tell me that Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up or even Coco have not been major achievements that show what computer animation is capable of, both artistically and narrative-speaking. Some of their movies were major risks that they were willing to take as well. Yeah, maybe Toy Story could have a cool hand-drawn art style, but that's besides the point because that's never going to happen. That's about as bad as saying Disney needs to make live-action remakes of all their classic animated films these days (I really hope that trend ends soon). Toy Story resonates to this day as one of the greatest animated films ever created because it had a good story and good characters on top of the fact it was a pioneering film much like Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was.

The problem with computer animation is all the copycat animation studios that tried to get a slice of that pie that Pixar got first helpings to. It's not that other animation studios have not made worthy computer animated films along the way, but the market has become over-saturated with low-brow cartoon-fests clearly aimed for kids that reminisce on the poop jokes and less to feast on for the "all ages" demographic like Pixar has so well been able to balance.

I do indeed think there's become an imbalance of traditionally drawn animated films. It seems like Studio Ghibli is the only studio these days that takes hand-drawn seriously and I wish we had more studios like that on the menu. I also want to see more stop-motion that does not orbit around being gothic all the time. I'm really thankful Wes Anderson broke the goth trend when he made Fantastic Mr. Fox and Isle of Dogs.

Why should I care that these CG movies are big achievements when they don't look as charming as drawn ones? I can respect the craft, but they look worse. I don't intend to watch another Pixar movie. Not until Disney pushes for more diversity. Which they won't.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@ezekiel43: you speak of pure subjective preference, which is fine. What Pixar has done is still a major milestone in both animation and art.

tohot240

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 tohot240
Member since 2019 • 56 Posts

The Sonic the Hedgehog movie should have been made completely by SEGA.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@tohot240 said:

The Sonic the Hedgehog movie should have been made completely by SEGA.

Sega's Sonic sucks. Can't stand the long-haired, green-eyed, tall, lanky, edgy punk. I want the innocent cartoon Sonic of the '90s back.

Try to imagine what Mickey Mouse what look like if they pulled a Sonic Adventure on him.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

Looks like Jim got enough of his sanity back to start acting again. He kinda way lost there for a bit.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@pimphand_gamer said:

Looks like Jim got enough of his sanity back to start acting again. He kinda way lost there for a bit.

Well, he DID agree to be in this, so how right is his mind at this point?

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By PSP107

@hallenbeck77 said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

He has to be a Sonic fan to agree to this?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
@PSP107 said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

Maybe he was bored, maybe he needed a paycheck, who knows what the reason is. But you figure even if he hasn't had a hit in years, there has to be better projects to be in than if he wants to stage a comeback.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#70 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I'm going with paycheck.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PSP107

@hallenbeck77 said:
@PSP107 said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

there has to be better projects to be in than if he wants to stage a comeback.

I wonder who his agent is?

@Master_Live said:

I'm going with paycheck.

The budget for this film is about $90m. I wonder how much is that towards Jim's check.

AryannaLao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 AryannaLao
Member since 2019 • 78 Posts

I guess we can say it was rushed...