Sonic the Hedgehog movie was so good, lets take a moment and say thanks to MPC studio!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

MPC aka Moving Picture Company who gave their careers re-fixing Sonic's design was the right call for a price.

Anyhow, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and my Daughter as well. I will say that the movie was obviously made with the mentality 90's kids are commonly parents now and nailed it as a movie they can see with their kids and have stuff for both to enjoy. It has some predictable and unoriginal elements for sure but most movies can say that and it's not a problem if the movie is solid. Totally good for those who grew up with Sonic like me on the Sega Genesis era will feel the nostalgic. Jim Carry as Dr. Robotnik nailed it, he had fun with the role, glad he hasn't lost his fine touch.

I enjoy it more than Detective Pikachu. Sonic the Hedgehog is probably the best video game adaption I seen so far.

Edit: Oh and be sure to stay after the movie ends cause their are 2 credit scenes which are nice for what comes next for a sequel in the future.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Between this and Detective Pikachu, maybe we're finally over the "video game movies sucking" curse.

*Doom: Annihilation pops its head in*

NO! GO AWAY! YOU DON'T EXIST AND I WILL NOT BE CONVINCED OTHERWISE!

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Glad to hear that the movie was good. I'm just happy to see that it went from godawful looking to something that seems watchable. Might be worth a look.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

Funny how a live action Nintendo (Detective Pikachu) and Sega movie both did well. Hopefully we see more decent live action video game films in the future.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Sonic must be one of the greatest underdog redemption comeback stories ever. It went from being a trainwreck disaster waiting to happen... to a good movie with an "A" CinemaScore and potential $60M+ US opening weekend.

Hopefully, this should translate into greater success for the video games as well. Let's hope Sega gives us another quality platformer like Sonic Mania to capitalize on the movie's success.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56087 Posts

@Jag85: @hallenbeck77: It's also worth pointing out this is the only kids movie that's out and nothing to compete it...until Pixar Onward is release on March 6th. Sonic's gonna get more lags until Onward hits next month.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#7 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I think the initial design was done on purpose with the redesign already finished. What better way to drive promo than "screwing up" the movie and then "listening to the fans" by fixing it? I've read posts people who wouldn't have a thing to do with a Sonic movie suddenly say they want to support it because they "fixed it."

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas: There is no way any major studio would willingly make a "screwed up" version of a movie just to boost sales. They have marketing divisions that specialize in hyping

up movies. If this was a smaller studio, then maybe it might be plausible but this is Paramount Pictures, one of--if not THE oldest--studios in Hollywood. They definitely got the money to promote the hell out of this movie without resorting to deliberate bad publicity.

Simply put, Paramount panicked when the the crap hit the fan with that first trailer; they knew this is a potential tentpole franchise, and knew how much they stood to lose if it tanks, both as a film franchise, and from merchandising. So they greenlit the changes, delayed the release date from Thanksgiving (a prime holiday season for movies) to the dead of February--with no foreseeable competition until Pixar's latest film opens. And it looks like this might work out in their favor--it initially was expected to do $40 mil, but now looks to head to an estimated $65 million opening weekend.

The filmmakers of Detective Pikachu had a trailer right off the bat had had even people who weren't pokemon fans--myself among them--excited to see it. There's no reason why Sonic's producers couldn't do the same thing initially.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#9 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@JustPlainLucas: There is no way any major studio would willingly make a "screwed up" version of a movie just to boost sales. They have marketing divisions that specialize in hyping

up movies. If this was a smaller studio, then maybe it might be plausible but this is Paramount Pictures, one of--if not THE oldest--studios in Hollywood. They definitely got the money to promote the hell out of this movie without resorting to deliberate bad publicity.

Simply put, Paramount panicked when the the crap hit the fan with that first trailer; they knew this is a potential tentpole franchise, and knew how much they stood to lose if it tanks, both as a film franchise, and from merchandising. So they greenlit the changes, delayed the release date from Thanksgiving (a prime holiday season for movies) to the dead of February--with no foreseeable competition until Pixar's latest film opens. And it looks like this might work out in their favor--it initially was expected to do $40 mil, but now looks to head to an estimated $65 million opening weekend.

The filmmakers of Detective Pikachu had a trailer right off the bat had had even people who weren't pokemon fans--myself among them--excited to see it. There's no reason why Sonic's producers couldn't do the same thing initially.

Wasn't... being serious....

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas: My bad. A lot of people were floating that idea, though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:

@JustPlainLucas: My bad. A lot of people were floating that idea, though.

I wouldn't put it past them to do that. Yeah it's crazy but the turnaround on that redesign was pretty quick....too quick.

It probably didn't happen like that, but at the same time I wouldn't be shocked if it did happen that way.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#12 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@davillain- said:

@Jag85: @hallenbeck77: It's also worth pointing out this is the only kids movie that's out and nothing to compete it...until Pixar Onward is release on March 6th. Sonic's gonna get more lags until Onward hits next month.

If it legs out over that period, then Sonic should retain the top spot for several weeks, given the underwhelming performance of Birds of Prey (surprising to see a DC superhero movie getting dominated by a video game movie). Sonic is definitely on its way to beating Detective Pikachu and becoming the highest-grossing game movie in North America. But not sure about worldwide, because of Coronovirus negatively impacting China and other Asian markets.

@hallenbeck77 said:

This. Some people are giving Paramount way too much credit. No way are they smart enough to pull off such a marketing stunt without backfiring and falling flat on their faces. Generating bad publicity for your movie is far too risky and just isn't worth it. The odds of turning it around into good publicity are very low. It's a far safer move to get it right the first time, rather than getting it wrong and then fixing it. The reality is that Paramount messed up badly, then tried to fix it, and somehow just got lucky in the end.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

So they redesigned the character model and textures. The plot still sucks, and the casting is worse. It's just another video game movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I heard jim carrey is pretty good in this

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@eoten said:

So they redesigned the character model and textures. The plot still sucks, and the casting is worse. It's just another video game movie.

The design sucks ass too. Sega allows him to be all kid-friendly and Mickey Mouse-like for Sonic Mania, but Hollywood gives him this ugly, tall, over-detailed look for the movie.

Loading Video...

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@ezekiel43: Because Hollywood doesn't give a crap about the character itself any more than is necessary to pull on the nostalgia strings for a quick cash grab. I'm disappointed Sega pimped out Sonic like that.

ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts

Sonic is our king (of the box office)!

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

I think the initial design was done on purpose with the redesign already finished. What better way to drive promo than "screwing up" the movie and then "listening to the fans" by fixing it? I've read posts people who wouldn't have a thing to do with a Sonic movie suddenly say they want to support it because they "fixed it."

I don't really buy that idea, but mostly because I don't believe that they would be able to keep it a secret.

That said, I'm one of the people who didn't say much mostly because I probably wouldn't go see it regardless, but generally sided with the upset fans that it looked like a horrendous design, which I think objectively it did. Despite that though, I was still predicting people wouldn't go see it regardless of the redesign efforts. I'm relatively surprised to see that it's not a complete flop financially.