So... Which Martial Arts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jasopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 jasopan
Member since 2006 • 2360 Posts

Well, I wanna get into learning a Martial Art and wanted it for strength training, self-defense etc. So far I wanted to go with Mix Martial Arts but found there was none in my area.... Just wanna know what's next 'best' or best for my needs... I'm looking for something effective in a fight and wanted to go with Karate then maybe move to Wing Chun....

Prefably want help from people with experience, thanks!

Giangio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Giangio
Member since 2003 • 11759 Posts
Muay Thai. Karate is taught for point fighting.
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
For defense: Krav Maga is the only way to go
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Karate is useless for fighting.

I'd look into Judu, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and Krav Magra(for aggressiveness) and for striking I'd look into Kick Boxing

Though it'll be probably hard to find a decent trainer for any of these. I really wouldn't recommend just training with anybody. A good teacher is essential if you really want to learn to fight/defend yourself.

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Hapkido is good.

MCMAP, but thats taught to servicemembers so thats pretty much out of the question.

ShadowofTulkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShadowofTulkas
Member since 2007 • 1811 Posts
MMA is certainly a great place to start. It allows you to find what you're most comfortable with, whether it's kicks or punches, or lots of cardio, or locks and grappling techniques. Wing Chun, from what I hear, is a major endurance art. Just look at Bruce Lee, I think he trained using Wing Chun first...correct me if i'm wrong. :)
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

Judo is the best for self defense, and is very useful if you are considering a career in law enforcement, so do that.

jasopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jasopan
Think I might go with Muay Thai, but bloody hell, can't find any in the area... Muay Thai is stand up and ground fighting right?
WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WushuFighter
Member since 2007 • 1837 Posts

Muay Thai, Sanda or Sanshou, Boxing, grappling or ground fighting arts(search on google lol), Krav Maga, and Kyokushin karate are the probably most effective for the average person. Then again, any art can be effective if years of extremely hard training are put into it.

WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WushuFighter

Think I might go with Muay Thai, but bloody hell, can't find any in the area... Muay Thai is stand up and ground fighting right?jasopan

Just stand up. Try to find a grappling art to supplement it also.

Severed_Hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Severed_Hand
Member since 2007 • 3402 Posts
hmmm... judo? i took kempo. its was 'okay' i guess. very arms focused.
WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WushuFighter

hmmm... judo? i took kempo. its was 'okay' i guess. very arms focused.Severed_Hand

Muay Thai + Judo is a great combination. Same with Jujutsu(also Brazilian) are excellent as well. Sanda or Sanshou is basicly a mix of kickboxing and takedowns and grapples.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
Ninjustu all the way.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#15 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
I like Kung Fu and Karate because they develop inner power and muscles. If you train hard, anything you practice can be used in a fight.
WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WushuFighter

Ninjustu all the way.CptJSparrow

The legitimacy of that art in North America is rather questionable.

FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

Muay Thai, Boxing, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo, Sambo, and Wrestling are in my opinion the most effective arts that you can train.

Muay Thai + Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the absolute best combination of two martial arts imo. But really, all of the above are very effective.

Part of what makes them effective is their simplicity. Take Muay Thai for example, it teaches simple techniques, with brutal effectiveness. There's no mumbo jumbo, know overly complex techniques that are far too difficult to use in actual combat. The first thing to go when you are in a fight is fine motor control. Exaggerated movements take care of this problem.

The other thing that makes the above martial arts so effective, is that you actually put to practice the techniques that you learn. You spar against resisting opponents every single day. They're trying to hit you or submit you in the case of grappling, and you're trying to do the same. There are plenty of other martial arts that do not follow this methodology.

If you don't spar all the time, and utilize the techniques that you're learning. Good luck using them when it really matters.

worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 worthyofnote
Member since 2007 • 21896 Posts

I have a good background in Judo. Good for defense, solid ground game, and grappling. I also studied a bit of karate for awhile, just for striking to mix in with my Judo. I, myself wouldn't mind taking up Krav Maga, yet there are no places around here that teach it.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

muay thai if you can find it. it's like krav maga, but you don't feel you need to be a jerk to defend yourself

Honestly few clubs/gyms are actually well organized, and you're more likely to get hurt than actually learn anything. Find a club/gym you like and join that.

metalpower08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 metalpower08
Member since 2007 • 1254 Posts

If your looking for self defensethen a systemwhere sparring is a common practice is essential. I personally like boxing the best but who knows what you will like. Muay Thai also looks bad ass

Avatar image for illegalimigrant
illegalimigrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 illegalimigrant
Member since 2008 • 1402 Posts
For defense: Krav Maga is the only way to goclembo1990
I agree. Used in the military in Israel.
Null--Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Null--Fox
Member since 2009 • 1640 Posts

Just going to go with the flow here. Go for Muay Thai.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

In terms of pure self defense, Krav Maga is easily the best. It teaches you how to deal with armed opponents including people with guns. It is actually a survival style, not just a fighting style.

Seeing as Krav Maga is hard as hell to find a place to learn it though, I got to echo the Muay Thai + Brazillian Ju Jitsu sentiments. Muay Thai is incredible for stand up while Brazillian Ju Jitsu is great for grappling and submissions. It is actually the combo I want to take if I ever find the time and money to get back into martial arts.

jasopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jasopan
Sweet Muay Thai then BJJ later. All right now for finding the damned places... Thanks guys
Dollar75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Dollar75
Member since 2006 • 718 Posts

Yang Mian. Its probably the most lethal and good for self defense

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#26 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

I used to to Taekwondo, which was awesome.

supamasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 supamasta
Member since 2009 • 92 Posts

Drunken monkey boxing forever. It's especially powerful if combined with Snake fist, but it will take ya years to master just the basic forms. I practice it all the time with my brothas here in the hood. But we usually end up using guns when it's needed...

Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts

Good ol' American boxing and wrestling.

Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts

Learn Wu style tai chi chuan and Jeet Kune Do, you can find the demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q9kYKtvYU0

weddy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 weddy92
Member since 2008 • 747 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

I wouldnt mess with him :P

jasopan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jasopan
There's this fat dude whose a bit taller than me and I tried punching him as hard as i could and he didn't feel it...Anyone know which martial arts would help? x)
Jelle87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jelle87
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts
you should've aimed for his throat or balls, duh.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
There's this fat dude whose a bit taller than me and I tried punching him as hard as i could and he didn't feel it...Anyone know which martial arts would help? x)jasopan
well kungfu has Iron Body style.
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

I did Muay Thai for a while, was quite intense, there aint half some fellas that were mega fast. :P
This guy was my instructor. http://www.sitsiam-camp.com/index.php?id=chiefinstructor

"Added to his many years experience in Muay Thai, Kru Tony is a Gold Sash 9th degree Instructor of Krabi Krabong the highest graded student in the world outside Thailand."

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LostProphetFLCL

JasonDarksavior

I have a black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do and found it to be pretty useless when it comes down to it.

Kicks are very dangerous to attempt in a real fight and yet thats all Tae-Kwon-Do focuses on. It's great for building balance, but other than that the style itself isn't worth the training....

DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36 DarkSmokeNinja
Member since 2008 • 3485 Posts

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]

LostProphetFLCL

I have a black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do and found it to be pretty useless when it comes down to it.

Kicks are very dangerous to attempt in a real fight and yet thats all Tae-Kwon-Do focuses on. It's great for building balance, but other than that the style itself isn't worth the training....

Not really, if you can preform a kick in the person's rib cage hard enough, you can either knock them out of breath, break their rib cage, orcripple them, trust me I've done it before. (and got in big trouble too)

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

[QUOTE="JasonDarksavior"]

DarkSmokeNinja

Not really, if you can preform a kick in the person's rib cage hard enough, you can either knock them out of breath, break their rib cage, orcripple them, trust me I've done it before. (and got in big trouble too)

I am not doubting the power of kicks the problem is that they are dangerous to attempt as they leave you vulnerable and they aren't terribly hard to gaurd against.

DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkSmokeNinja

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]

LostProphetFLCL

I am not doubting the power of kicks the problem is that they are dangerous to attempt as they leave you vulnerable and they aren't terribly hard to gaurd against.

well...whatever floats your boat

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]Not really, if you can preform a kick in the person's rib cage hard enough, you can either knock them out of breath, break their rib cage, orcripple them, trust me I've done it before. (and got in big trouble too)

DarkSmokeNinja

Trust me, watch some UFC sometime.

The vast majority of strikes are punches and such and then when kicks are thrown like 90% of them are quick low kicks merely meant to weaken their opponents legs.

If you screw up a big kick it can really bite you in the ass. The one kick I found useful was a shuffle side kick as I can pull it off quick and it has good power behind it.

DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkSmokeNinja

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]

LostProphetFLCL

The vast majority of strikes are punches and such and then when kicks are thrown like 90% of them are quick low kicks merely meant to weaken their opponents legs.

If you screw up a big kick it can really bite you in the ass. The one kick I found useful was a shuffle side kick as I can pull it off quick and it has good power behind it.

Yeah, on UFC a lot of those kicks are low kick and, if you screw up on a kickyour really messed up in a fight

Trinners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Trinners
Member since 2009 • 2537 Posts

kick boxing, muay thai, judo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

muay thai

WushuFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WushuFighter

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]

LostProphetFLCL

UFC is a bunch of garbage.

A real fight doesn't have rules. You aren't squaring off all pretty in a boxing stance. You are being attacked either against your will or in an organized fight. If it's the latter, you may have time to get into your fighting stance and prepare for what you need to do to overcome your opponent, etc. If it's the former, you are either being sucker punched or being rushed at and you don't have time to prepare. You must take a hit(if in the face, that is not something that a traditional martial art like karate, tae kwon do. or "kung fu" will teach you) or have extremely fast reflexes to be able to dodge or parry it. Kicks are hard to use in a fight because the amount of coordination required compared to a simple punch. The adreneline will almost always cause the kick to be sloppy, slow, and misplaced unless you know that you can successfully pull off a kick in a fight and have been trained properly and efficiently. That is something that a full contact, stand up art like Muay Thai or Kyokushin will teach you to do.

As for ground tactics, it's pretty much known that in the majority of fights, it's a "race for the takedown." You either have to go for it first and take your opponent down, or you must know how to reverse it so that your opponent ends up on the ground. Even with BJJ training and all of the ground fighting skills you have been trained with, if you are taken to the ground, you may know how to fight there. BUT you will be bombarded with attacks and that chances of getting hit in the face or hit so that you lose your focus are very high to cause you to not win or get out of there safely. An art like Sanda or a combination of a stand up art(Muay Thai, Boxing, Kyokushin) and a take down/throwing art(Judo, different styles of Jujutsu) are the most effictive. The take down arts I listed are also highly focused in ground fighting so that's a bonus. But learning two arts at the same time or consecutively is very costly which is why I would favor Sanda because you are learning how to fight standing up and how to deal with takedowns. And some teachers may even have a background in ground fighting which they may teach you as well.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Muay Thai is pretty awesome.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Capoeira, it's the one thing that's not offered in my area, yet I really want to get into it :( In all honesty though, go for Muay Thai or hapkido.
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
There's this fat dude whose a bit taller than me and I tried punching him as hard as i could and he didn't feel it...Anyone know which martial arts would help? x)jasopan
I don't wanna come off as rude, but chances are that if you're going for bigger people, you'd want to take a grappling art. I'm a striker personally, and while I'm amazing for my weight class I simply can't have a decent sparring bout against someone with 25lbs or more on me. If you go for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, there isn't as much of a difference between sizes, and would probably be much more effective in a real-life situation.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 avatar_genius
Member since 2009 • 8056 Posts

Muay Thai is pretty awesome.

thusaha

/thread