So What Did You Guys Think Of The "Slut Walk" in Toronto

This topic is locked from further discussion.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

slighly old but:

A group of Toronto marchers took to the streets Sunday afternoon in what they're calling a "slut walk" in response to controversial comments made by a police constable earlier this year.

In January, Toronto Police Const. Michael Sanguinetti told a personal security class at York University that "women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimized."

Sanguinetti apologized for his comments, but his apology failed to satisfy walk organizer Sonya Barnett.

"It was evident that if you're going to have a representative of the police force come out [and say that] then that kind of idea must be still running rampant within the force itself and that retraining really needs to happen to change that mentality," she said.

A statement on the event's website says: "Toronto Police have perpetuated the myth and stereotype of the slut, and in doing so have failed us."

Barnett said she wants to use the walk to reclaim the word and also demand that victim-shaming change.

link

What did you guys think of the whole reclaimin the word for women etc?

Necrifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Necrifer
Member since 2010 • 10629 Posts

Yep, pretty slutty.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Stupid thing to say but the protest is far more idiotic. Slut has never had a positive meaning so i really don't see who they're trying to reclaim it from.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
it's good of them to line them all up in a row like that so you know which ones to avoid...
Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts
Not slutty enough.
Avatar image for Darkwanderer000
Darkwanderer000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darkwanderer000
Member since 2011 • 213 Posts
I expected them to show more skin, and was dissappoint. :(
00-Riddick-00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 00-Riddick-00
Member since 2009 • 18884 Posts
Most of those chicks are pretty ugly :?
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts

Most of those chicks are pretty ugly :?00-Riddick-00
Clearly they aren't victims here.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

Sluts get a bad rap. Personally, I can't get enough of them. SLUT IT UP!

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

There is only ONE video that can sum up my feelings about this subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEDZFx_nn08

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The idea that women "are asking to be raped by dressing like sluts" is detestable to a level I cannot even fathom. I'd walk in support of sluts and women alike.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
it's good of them to line them all up in a row like that so you know which ones to avoid...Omni-Slash
Gya... *Remembers faces*
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nintendofreak_2

The idea that women "are asking to be raped by dressing like sluts" is detestable to a level I cannot even fathom. I'd walk in support of sluts and women alike.foxhound_fox
You can thank our friend Sigmund Freud for that idea.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts
The idea that women "are asking to be raped by dressing like sluts" is detestable to a level I cannot even fathom. I'd walk in support of sluts and women alike.foxhound_fox
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Would it be less detestable if you replaced "asking to be" with "increasing the odds of being"?

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Haha. I remember the story with the cop. Had the right idea but his execution was a little off. Women will be victimized no matter what. A very revealing dress won't help though.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Omni-Slash
while it's not their fault by any stretch of the imagination...it's a stupid risk to take...it's like walking through the worst part of town with a wallet hanging out of you poccket overflowing with 100s...bad decision....
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

My reaction.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox

while it's not their fault by any stretch of the imagination...it's a stupid risk to take...it's like walking through the worst part of town with a wallet hanging out of you poccket overflowing with 100s...bad decision....Omni-Slash

Risky or not... being a victim of crime is the same in every situation. Saying "its risky," to me, makes it seem as if people are trying to make excuses for the criminals.

Avatar image for YellowOneKinobi
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 YellowOneKinobi
Member since 2011 • 4128 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]The idea that women "are asking to be raped by dressing like sluts" is detestable to a level I cannot even fathom. I'd walk in support of sluts and women alike.Oleg_Huzwog

Would it be less detestable if you replaced "asking to be" with "increasing the odds of being"?

I see where you're coming from. I'm not saying we should "blame the victims" or anything. However, if I'm walking down the street in a bad part of town, and I have $100 bills sticking out of my pockets, I'm not being very careful, now am I? If I get mugged, of COURSE the guilt lies solely on the mugger, but should I be completely shocked that I was a target?

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Omni-Slash
Risky or not... being a victim of crime is the same in every situation. Saying "its risky," to me, makes it seem as if people are trying to make excuses for the criminals.foxhound_fox
life is all about playing the odds.....and anything that gives you a better odds of being the victim of a crime should be weighed when making your decision.....for these women to act like an outfit plays no part in stting those odds is pretty simplistic....
berserker2389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 berserker2389
Member since 2010 • 4627 Posts
I wish I went maybe get a few numbers lol
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 YellowOneKinobi

I actually checked out the article/pictures after I made my first post. I'd just add that now I question what these broads are mad at. Is it what they guy said or are they made because nobody with working eyes would EVER want to r@pe any of them. Woof!

POPEYE1716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 POPEYE1716
Member since 2003 • 4749 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]The idea that women "are asking to be raped by dressing like sluts" is detestable to a level I cannot even fathom. I'd walk in support of sluts and women alike.BMD004

Perfect, video for this lol
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"] while it's not their fault by any stretch of the imagination...it's a stupid risk to take...it's like walking through the worst part of town with a wallet hanging out of you poccket overflowing with 100s...bad decision....foxhound_fox

Risky or not... being a victim of crime is the same in every situation. Saying "its risky," to me, makes it seem as if people are trying to make excuses for the criminals.

Oh this argument always ends well
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#27 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Risky or not... being a victim of crime is the same in every situation. Saying "its risky," to me, makes it seem as if people are trying to make excuses for the criminals.Omni-Slash
life is all about playing the odds.....and anything that gives you a better odds of being the victim of a crime should be weighed when making your decision.....for these women to act like an outfit plays no part in stting those odds is pretty simplistic....

I agree. Certainly nothing justifies a criminal's actions, but there are certain actions you can take to reduce your chance of being a victim. There was that jogger that was raped and killed in NYC many years ago. She was running by herself in Central Park at night time. Certainly she did not deserve to be attacked, raped, and murdered. No excuse for that. But she may have taken certain actions that would have reduced her risk - running with a partner, running during the day, avoiding risky areas, etc.
With-Hatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 With-Hatred
Member since 2009 • 926 Posts

Maybe offensive, but the police chief is right, if u dress like a slut ur more likely to be targeted for date rape.

Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

Ewww.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 foxhound_fox

life is all about playing the odds.....and anything that gives you a better odds of being the victim of a crime should be weighed when making your decision.....for these women to act like an outfit plays no part in stting those odds is pretty simplistic....Omni-Slash

Not all rape occurs like a mugging. A lot of rapes happen between people who know each other (I'm pretty sure the majority of rapes do), where this issue of "dressing slutty" isn't so black and white as you make it out to be. A woman shouldn't be "more susceptible to rape" because she wants to celebrate her sexuality.

This is the same slippery slope that male Muslims use to justify accusing and execution Muslim women for "committing adultery" for being raped. A mugging is not a good analogy for this... because lots of rapists don't "go out of their way" to rape women, in a lot of situations, it is just a lack of self-control and a refusal to accept "no means no." Pickpockets are out on the street for a reason.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Omni-Slash
said a lot of stuff not really relavent to the argument....foxhound_fox
shouldn't and is are two different things entirely....of course they shouldn't..but again..you're being nieve if you think it does not increase your chances.....do you think this police chief was talking about relationship rape or random acts?...pretty sure he wasn't talking about women being dateraped..:|.......many instances of rape are from complete strangers..... also your muslim analoy is completely off base....you're talking about a belief system that works on sexual repression that's existed for 100s of years and compairing it to rape in today's soceity....toronto is far from that....
CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
Canada: +1 respect
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 foxhound_fox

shouldn't and is are two different things entirely....of course they shouldn't..but again..you're being nieve if you think it does not increase your chances.....do you think this police chief was talking about relationship rape or random acts?...pretty sure he wasn't talking about women being dateraped..:|.......many instances of rape are from complete strangers..... also your muslim analoy is completely off base....you're talking about a belief system that works on sexual repression that's existed for 100s of years and compairing it to rape in today's soceity....toronto is far from that....Omni-Slash
http://www.d.umn.edu/cla/faculty/jhamlin/3925/myths.html

"Myth: Women "ask for it" by their dress or actions. FACT: Rapists look for victims they perceive as vulnerable, not women who dress in a particular way. Assuming that women provoke attacks by where they are or the way they dress is victim-blaming. No person, whatever their behaviour, "deserves" to be raped."

"Myth: Women "ask for it" by their dress or actions. FACT: Rapists look for victims they perceive as vulnerable, not women who dress in a particular way. Assuming that women provoke attacks by where they are or the way they dress is victim-blaming. No person, whatever their behaviour, "deserves" to be raped."

University of Minnesota. I think there is a bunch of points in this article that everyone in this thread needs to read.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Omni-Slash
Myth: Women "ask for it" by their dress or actions. FACT: Rapists look for victims they perceive as vulnerable, not women who dress in a particular way. Assuming that women provoke attacks by where they are or the way they dress is victim-blaming. No person, whatever their behaviour, "deserves" to be raped."University of Minnesota. I think there is a bunch in this article that everyone in this thread needs to read.foxhound_fox
maybe you have an issue with reading comprehension....no-one is saying anyone here deserves to be raped no matter what tehy wear....but if you think attire plays no part in a choice of a woman that a freak of nature chooses to rape you are nieve....a woman coming home from a bar...barely able to walk because of her rediculously high as stilletos...I'd say that classifies as vulnerable :|
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 YellowOneKinobi
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] Myth: Women "ask for it" by their dress or actions. FACT: Rapists look for victims they perceive as vulnerable, not women who dress in a particular way. Assuming that women provoke attacks by where they are or the way they dress is victim-blaming. No person, whatever their behaviour, "deserves" to be raped."University of Minnesota. I think there is a bunch in this article that everyone in this thread needs to read.Omni-Slash
maybe you have an issue with reading comprehension....no-one is saying anyone here deserves to be raped no matter what tehy wear....but if you think attire plays no part in a choice of a woman that a freak of nature chooses to rape you are nieve....a woman coming home from a bar...barely able to walk because of her rediculously high as stilletos...I'd say that classifies as vulnerable :|

I was just thinking that logistics would dictate that a woman that is scantily clad is an easier target than a woman more conservatively dressed. Not too hard to rip off a micro-mini skirt and tank top.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 foxhound_fox

maybe you have an issue with reading comprehension....no-one is saying anyone here deserves to be raped no matter what tehy wear....but if you think attire plays no part in a choice of a woman that a freak of nature chooses to rape you are nieve....a woman coming home from a bar...barely able to walk because of her rediculously high as stilletos...I'd say that classifies as vulnerable :|Omni-Slash

Read the article I posted (you clearly had no time to even skim it). Attire has nothing to do with whom is chosen to rape. I think you are being the naive one here if you think you "know" how rape occurs. The statistics disagree with you. Most rapists aren't "freaks of nature," in more than 70% of cases, the victim knows the attacker, and most of the time, it happens in the victim's home, not on the street.

With-Hatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 With-Hatred

There is only ONE video that can sum up my feelings about this subject:

BMD004

I thought of the same skit.

lol dave chappelle

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#38 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
Reclaim the word slut? Did it ever have a different meaning?
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]maybe you have an issue with reading comprehension....no-one is saying anyone here deserves to be raped no matter what tehy wear....but if you think attire plays no part in a choice of a woman that a freak of nature chooses to rape you are nieve....a woman coming home from a bar...barely able to walk because of her rediculously high as stilletos...I'd say that ****fies as vulnerable :|foxhound_fox

Read the article I posted (you clearly had no time to even skim it). Attire has nothing to do with whom is chosen to rape. I think you are being the naive one here if you think you "know" how rape occurs. The statistics disagree with you. Most rapists aren't "freaks of nature," in more than 70% of cases, the victim knows the attacker, and most of the time, it happens in the victim's home, not on the street.

Was that article written by a student as an assignment? Or did the university publish it? It looks so, well, not legit. I'm not saying that the statistics are wrong, but the presentation gives me reason to doubt it. If I cared about the topic more I'd do some research on my own.

That being said, and call this my opinion if you want, I think it seems pretty logical that at a the very least, a "slutty" looking woman is more likely to be the victim of a random assault. For starters, they are drawing attention to themselves in a sexual nature. I don't think that justifies them getting attacked in any way (not even physically harmed, even having volger cat calls thrown at them is unwarranted). But dressing a certain way does send out signals about one's self (even if they are percieved in an incorrect way).

With-Hatred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 With-Hatred

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]maybe you have an issue with reading comprehension....no-one is saying anyone here deserves to be raped no matter what tehy wear....but if you think attire plays no part in a choice of a woman that a freak of nature chooses to rape you are nieve....a woman coming home from a bar...barely able to walk because of her rediculously high as stilletos...I'd say that ****fies as vulnerable :|YellowOneKinobi

Was that article written by a student as an assignment? Or did the university publish it? It looks so, well, not legit. I'm not saying that the statistics are wrong, but the presentation gives me reason to doubt it. If I cared about the topic more I'd do some research on my own.

That being said, and call this my opinion if you want, I think it seems pretty logical that at a the very least, a "slutty" looking woman is more likely to be the victim of a random assault. For starters, they are drawing attention to themselves in a sexual nature. I don't think that justifies them getting attacked in any way (not even physically harmed, even having volger cat calls thrown at them is unwarranted). But dressing a certain way does send out signals about one's self (even if they are percieved in an incorrect way).

Based on what I've seen in my life, I'd say that's exactly right. I've known people who have been sexually assaulted, and all of them dressed and acted slutty.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Omni-Slash
Read the article I posted (you clearly had no time to even skim it). Attire has nothing to do with whom is chosen to rape. I think you are being the naive one here if you think you "know" how rape occurs. The statistics disagree with you. Most rapists aren't "freaks of nature," in more than 70% of cases, the victim knows the attacker, and most of the time, it happens in the victim's home, not on the street.foxhound_fox
wait wait wait...so because the girl knows the guy he's nto a freak of nature?.....how many of those acts were because someone was waiting for her at the house after casing?....hw many times was it because some dip**** of a guy followed her or was her "friend" around because he saw her in an outfit and liked what he saw?....you're absolutely right....attire pl;ays no part in it whatsoever..and that other 30%...probably all wore suits and were on their way home from church....you're toying with stats to make yourself feel good abotu a simple premise....outfits matter...in a job....in making friends....and in the minds of sick ****s who would do this type of thing....it's not the woman's fault for wearing this...but you are completely oblivious to think it plays no part...
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nintendofreak_2

foxhound_fox

Just to throw this out there, about 75% of cases of rape also involve alcohol, so there is some overlap there, which the link you posted has no mention of. This may be an assumption, but it is highly possible that a man is much more likely to force himself onto a scantily clad woman than a more "properly" dressed woman while the man is drunk.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]maybe you have an issue with reading comprehension....no-one is saying anyone here deserves to be raped no matter what tehy wear....but if you think attire plays no part in a choice of a woman that a freak of nature chooses to rape you are nieve....a woman coming home from a bar...barely able to walk because of her rediculously high as stilletos...I'd say that ****fies as vulnerable :|YellowOneKinobi

It's a bit ridiculous to say that it does not factor in, but then again, a lot of things might when it comes to these... crimes.

Whether or not it does is missing the point a little. Women shouldn't have to fear dressing the way they do because they might be the victims of a crime. This goes for other groups too, and in this case, I can't say I don't understand this protest.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
I know whered I like to be.
YellowOneKinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 YellowOneKinobi

[QUOTE="YellowOneKinobi"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]
SkyWard20

It's a bit ridiculous to say that it does not factor in, but then again, a lot of things might when it comes to these... crimes.

Whether or not it does is missing the point a little. Women shouldn't have to fear dressing the way they do because they might be the victims of a crime. This goes for other groups too, and in this case, I can't say I don't understand this protest.

In a perfect world they wouldn't have to worry. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to lock our doors either. But to completely ignore known risks in the 'real world' is to put ourselves in harms way.

BrianB0422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 BrianB0422
Member since 2009 • 1636 Posts
Found my future wife there.
black_tempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 black_tempest
Member since 2008 • 2459 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Read the article I posted (you clearly had no time to even skim it). Attire has nothing to do with whom is chosen to rape. I think you are being the naive one here if you think you "know" how rape occurs. The statistics disagree with you. Most rapists aren't "freaks of nature," in more than 70% of cases, the victim knows the attacker, and most of the time, it happens in the victim's home, not on the street.Omni-Slash
wait wait wait...so because the girl knows the guy he's nto a freak of nature?.....how many of those acts were because someone was waiting for her at the house after casing?....hw many times was it because some dip**** of a guy followed her or was her "friend" around because he saw her in an outfit and liked what he saw?....you're absolutely right....attire pl;ays no part in it whatsoever..and that other 30%...probably all wore suits and were on their way home from church....you're toying with stats to make yourself feel good abotu a simple premise....outfits matter...in a job....in making friends....and in the minds of sick ****s who would do this type of thing....it's not the woman's fault for wearing this...but you are completely oblivious to think it plays no part...

Yikes, what's with all the ellipsis?
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
It doesn't take much brain-power to see how dressing / conducting oneself like a slut can put a woman in a pretty unsavory and compromising position with the wrong guy, but nevertheless 'no' means 'no'... saying things like 'if you don't want to be treated like a ho', don't go around looking/acting like one' doesn't go over very well in a society where people feel (for some utterly inexplicable reason) like they should be able to do whatever they want without regard to the potential negative consequences...