So OT, what type of "Metal music" Genre you prefer?

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

DaVillain-  Moderator

Poll So OT, what type of "Metal music" Genre you prefer? (25 votes)

Heavy Metal 36%
Doom Metal 4%
Thrash Metal 12%
Death Metal 8%
Black Metal 4%
Progressive Metal 8%
Power Metal 4%
Metalcore 8%
Nu Metal 16%

I'll put the description explaining each type of Metal genre as it can be confusing:

Heavy Metal

• Also called "traditional metal". This is the most "basic", rock-oriented kind of metal. You can expect a lot of guitar solos, high pitched vocals, and catchy, hook-based songs when you're listening to heavy metal. Some of the most famous metal bands play traditional metal, such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Manowar, and King Diamond.

Doom Metal

• Doom metal is shockingly hard to pin down. It's debatably the oldest kind of metal, having been invented along with metal itself with Black Sabbath, and the subgenres of it have developed so far from the basic sound that about the only thing you can say about it is that it's slow and heavy. Traditional doom metal bands such as Black Sabbath and Witchfinder General are quite popular, but any metalhead needs to be aware of the representatives of death/doom and funeral doom styles - look for bands such as Evoken, Catacombs, My Dying Bride, and Autopsy.

Thrash Metal

• The average listener is probably more familiar with thrash metal than any other genre, as Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, and many other extremely well known bands either fall under its umbrella now, or did at some point in their career. Thrash metal is always influenced by punk rock and hardcore to some degree. Common elements include fast tempos and palm-muted, E-string based riffs. The vocals can be either shouted or sung.

Death Metal

• Mainly an evolution of thrash metal. Death metal actually started as just heavier, less melodic thrash metal bands, usually featuring downtuned guitars - check out old albums by Possessed, Death, and Morbid Angel for some good examples of this. These days, death metal has plenty of variety, but the core elements are still amelodic riffing, growled or screamed vocals, and tempos that are either very fast or at least very erratic.

Black Metal

• I regard black metal as being aesthetically pretty different from the other kinds of metal, and also as one of the hardest genres to pin down in a description. Most black metal nowadays follows the blueprint developed by Norway in the early 90s, meaning look for grainy production, melodic, tremolo picked riffs(tremolo picking is just picking one note over and over very quickly), and "blast beat"-based drumming. Early advocates of this style include Darkthrone, Mayhem, and Emperor. However, like the other genres, there's no shortage of variety.

Progressive Metal

• "Progressive" is a term used to describe both rock and metal which feature uncommon, even experimental, elements, frequently taking the form of a heightened level of complexity and an emphasis on unique song structures. Expect to hear a lot of odd time signatures and instruments uncommon to metal in this genre as well as its many crossovers with other genres. Prog metal is exemplified by a wide range bands, notably Opeth, Dream Theater, and Fates Warning.

Power Metal

• Power metal is a point of confusion for plenty of metal listeners, as it's used to describe both classic heavy metal, usually of the heavier variety hailing from the US or Germany, as well as a very different modern offshoot. The modern offshoot(dubbed "euro power metal") is nowadays closely related to progressive metal and features bands such as Rhapsody, Symphony X, and Angra. This brand of theatrical, keyboard-laden, sometimes even orchestrated metal was pioneered by groups such as Edguy and Helloween.

Metalcore

• Metalcore is advertised as a combination of heavy metal and hardcore punk(hence "metalcore"), but this can be misleading. Older "metalcore" bands were essentially hardcore punk, but had more metallic - usually meaning more technical - riffing. Look at Integrity and Earth Crisis for examples. Metalcore bands nowadays are indeed influenced by the metalcore bands of old(perhaps not Integrity, but certainly bands such as Hatebreed or Agnostic Front), but mainly in the way they use breakdowns. Metalcore songs usually feature segments where they transition to slower, "chugging" riffs. These are the breakdowns, and they're meant to make the song seem heavier and more intense as a whole. My impression of most metalcore bands, however, is that outside of the breakdowns, the primary influence is Gothenburg-styled melodic death metal, which is itself usually inspired by traditional heavy metal and thrash metal.

Nu Metal?

• Just to be clear, Nu metal is a touchy subject. Like metalcore and hair metal, it's something of a pariah here. It is not well liked on 235 or, indeed, in underground metal communities in general. Mainstream publications such as All Music Guide and even Wikipedia tend to classify it as a kind of metal, and understandably so, but metal communities rarely acknowledge it as one of metal's many subgenres. The reasons for this are complex. Stronger arguments involve the actual similarity nu metal has to the "canon" genres of metal. Nu metal tends to be aggressive, and so does metal. Nu metal tends to feature distorted guitars which the songs are often written around, and so does metal. Nu metal tends to have loud, double bass-heavy drumming, and so does metal. In fact, it is reasonable to say that nu metal was influenced, perhaps quite dramatically, by the "groove metal" style which emerged in the early 90s, which is acknowledged, sometimes grudgingly, as truly metal. Look at bands such as Pantera and Testament in their Low era for examples. Though a little late for the craze at the height of its popularity, the nu metal band Damageplan actually formed from the ashes of Pantera. I think this is probably the strongest argument nu metal supporters can make in favor of it being "really" metal.

Me, I like hard rock/metal depending on the Bands but I always favor all metal, so its hard to narrow it down what type of metal I prefer but to be perfectly honest, Heavy Metal is my go to and so is Nu Metal. Heavy Metal gets my vote.

• 
GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 11492 Posts

The type on the Judgment Night soundtrack, but those are kind of mash-ups

I had friends that played nothing but various types of metal but none of it much appealed to me. The closest I got is Soundgarden. I am not even much into classic rock like Guns n Roses and that type of stuff. I like a lot of types of music, and I've been exposed to this, but it never grew on me.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 2

#2 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4791 Posts

I like Heavy Metal and Thrash Metal of that list. My favourite band is AC/DC, not quite metal but close to it. Probably my favourite type of music is just plain old rock’n’roll, being Elvis,Buddy Holly,Chuck Berry,Muddy Waters,etc..... I love a lot of type of Classic Rock and Classic Metal.

Keaze_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Keaze_
Member since 2009 • 1145 Posts

Metalcore and Doom Metal.

Just saw you mentioned Rhapsody. Was in my top ten in high school when they were in their prime.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1344 Posts

I grew up on heavy/hair metal but gravitated to thrash and punk in my teens. Still listen to all of it. Voted thrash.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 6247 Posts
Loading Video...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 44274 Posts

Can't say know jack shit about the genre but use to like Metallica. The older stuff, heard of their newer stuff, sucks.

Loading Video...

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4431 Posts

I've been in and around all these music genres at various points or another, because I used to go to shows all the time and I've had a ton of music-oriented friends from all social music corners.

I like the progressive stuff, though. I've seen Opeth live and I really dig that type. I also like shit like Carcass and various trash and grindcore type stuff.

Lately I've been all about industrial, though, a branch away from metal. It's been about KMFDM and Rammstein lately for me.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13094 Posts

I listen to a lot of genres of music including metal such as Funk Metal, Nu Metal, Gothic Metal, Grunge, Industrial Metal, and Progressive Metal. I don't like growling and screaming. I'll listen to bands that mix having a screamer/growler and singer.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 6895 Posts

I pick thrash but really it's Groove Metal bands like, Pantera, White Zombie,Fear Factory etc.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for ghost_of_phobos
Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ghost_of_Phobos  Online
Member since 2020 • 1610 Posts

My physical music collection is composed of hundreds of Black Metal CDs, vinyls and demo tapes. I'll listen to some Doom too and Death to a much lesser extent.

(Big listener of electronica and some hip hop too but BM is king)

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45569 Posts

@SOedipus said:

I listen to a lot of genres of music including metal such as Funk Metal, Nu Metal, Gothic Metal, Grunge, Industrial Metal, and Progressive Metal. I don't like growling and screaming. I'll listen to bands that mix having a screamer/growler and singer.

Always thought Goth Metal had more to do with TGE catcalling more commonly found in works like the Spice Girls where as Gothic Rock Metal had more to do with being structured around guitar melodies a la Hanson. Guess it's in the mind of the beholder so I cant be objectively wrong. But anyway, Gothic Metal is stuff like Type O Negative and Motionless In White...which I happen to be a fan of Motionless In White.

@DEVILinIRON said:
Loading Video...

Good answer ;)

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4544 Posts

Progressive is my favorite, with Dream Theater and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum at the top of my list. But I enjoy most types of metal. Some bands I'm into: Judas Priest (obviously), In Flames, Unleash the Archers, Earth, Death from Above, Slayer, Pantera, Amonie to name a few.

Avatar image for ghost_of_phobos
Ghost_of_Phobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghost_of_Phobos  Online
Member since 2020 • 1610 Posts

@davillain-: Type O Negative, there's a band I don't listen to for many many years. October Rust has such an incredible atmosphere.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24402 Posts

From the poll, I would probably say heavy metal. I also like thrash, some death(especially old school), some progressive, some doom, etc.

You're missing groove metal(bands like Pantera, Machine Head, Prong, Lamb of God, etc.), sludge metal(bands like Down, Crowbar, Mastodon, Acid Bath, etc.), industrial metal(bands like Ministry, Godflesh, Fear Factory, Nailbomb, etc.), and symphonic metal.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 4544 Posts

I have to ask, is there a genre of music with more sub-genres than metal?

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 13094 Posts

@judaspete said:

Electronic or EDM perhaps? Some of the sub-genres sound the same to me with metal and EDM. I just go with it. Not into arguing about it with the the genre enthusiasts.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 4431 Posts

@SOedipus said:
@judaspete said:

Electronic or EDM perhaps? Some of the sub-genres sound the same to me with metal and EDM. I just go with it. Not into arguing about it with the the genre enthusiasts.

There's subgenres for every genre, and plentiful. I think the metal community is overall pretty outspoken. I think it's mostly because a lot of metalheads don't really mix with metalheads from different corners, and they often have a need to clarify just what type of metalhead they are. A folk metalhead would clarify that's their specific niche, for example.

Jazz is another genre I love, and I know there's a ton of subgenres too. I know there's all sorts of reggae and electronic, etc.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 218

#19 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 15452 Posts

My favourite metal band is Linkin Park. They're nu metal, so I'd probably go with that. I can understand why metal purists may not like it though, because it has rap and grunge influences.

Runner-up for me would be power metal. Specifically '80s power metal. I quite like the cheesy '80s power metal style.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 956 Posts

Death Metal is my favourite, however I cannot stand Deathcore. Having too many breakdowns in a song gets annoying.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 St_Monica
Member since 2020 • 385 Posts

So called alternative and industrial like Rage against the Machine, Linkin Park, and Marilyn Manson. Are they categorized as Nu? I also like a Japanese metal band called Dir en grey. I went to their live concert at LA years ago and their songs and performance were very exciting and fun as an entertainment.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 45569 Posts

@Jag85 said:

My favourite metal band is Linkin Park. They're nu metal, so I'd probably go with that. I can understand why metal purists may not like it though, because it has rap and grunge influences.

Runner-up for me would be power metal. Specifically '80s power metal. I quite like the cheesy '80s power metal style.

Don't feel bad, I also like Nu Metal depending on the bands and for a long time, I was a Linkin Park fan while in High School and later on, even I never picture them as Nu for that matter until I discover it during their promoting the new Medal of Honor 2010 game. Hyro the Hero, Disturbed, and Slipknot are the one's I mostly listen as far as nu metal goes.

@st_monica said:

So called alternative and industrial like Rage against the Machine, Linkin Park, and Marilyn Manson. Are they categorized as Nu? I also like a Japanese metal band called Dir en grey. I went to their live concert at LA years ago and their songs and performance were very exciting and fun as an entertainment.

Rage against the Machines & Linkin Park are classify as nu metal. Marilyn Manson is often consider horror metal (I rarely use that genre) but Manson has never had any good ideas and got famous by ripping off Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, and My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult with an added pseudo-intellectual veneer. (and also by screwing literally all of his original bandmates over)

I don't know much on Japanese metal, so hard to say.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 St_Monica

@davillain- said:
@st_monica said:

Rage against the Machines & Linkin Park are classify as nu metal. Marilyn Manson is often consider horror metal (I rarely use that genre) but Manson has never had any good ideas and got famous by ripping off Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, and My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult with an added pseudo-intellectual veneer. (and also by screwing literally all of his original bandmates over)

I know there are criticisms of Marilyn Manson's songs and styles as you say. However, the reason I was interested in him was when he gave a sharp and brilliant answer in an interview in Bowling for Columbine. He calmly analyzes mass shootings, understands the hypocrisy of society, and explains the relationship between fear and consumption more clearly than in sociology textbooks. His argument is still relevant and valid today.

Loading Video...

It was after watching this film that I bought his CDs and went to a live concert where I enjoyed his powerful performance. Of course you're talking about the history, styles and techniques of metal music here, so this is off topic, but that's why I like him anyway.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jag85  Online
@davillain- said:
@Jag85 said:

Don't feel bad, I also like Nu Metal depending on the bands and for a long time, I was a Linkin Park fan while in High School and later on, even I never picture them as Nu for that matter until I discover it during their promoting the new Medal of Honor 2010 game. Hyro the Hero, Disturbed, and Slipknot are the one's I mostly listen as far as nu metal goes.

@st_monica said:

Rage Against the Machine is another nu metal band I like. But yeah, my understanding of nu metal is that it's a mix of metal, rap and grunge. So Linkin Park and Rage Against the Machine are nu metal, while Marilyn Manson is not. And I think Nine Inch Nails would be industrial, though not sure if they're metal (I like "Closer" but I wouldn't really consider that metal).

Speaking of Japanese metal, that's still very much mainstream in Japan. That's one of the few countries in the world where metal is still a mainstream genre. In the rest of the world, metal has gone underground. Probably because the Japanese music industry is independent and does its own thing, instead of following American music trends like most other countries do.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By St_Monica
@Jag85 said:

Speaking of Japanese metal, that's still very much mainstream in Japan. That's one of the few countries in the world where metal is still a mainstream genre. In the rest of the world, metal has gone underground. Probably because the Japanese music industry is independent and does its own thing, instead of following American music trends like most other countries do.

I feel that Japanese metal bands basically arrange metal music to suit their culture and erase the elements of counterculture in the process, and that's why they stay in mainstream.

For example, Rage Against the Machine has a left-wing political belief and has performed concerts in rallies such as environmental groups with strong messages. In fact, the teacher who introduced me to their music was a former student activist in the 1960s. In short, their music is not for everyone.

On the other hand, Japanese bands like Dir en grey is not involved in such activities at all. Even if they wear costumes like Satanism, everyone knows it's just a cosplay. Their audience was purely looking for a show and probably didn't feel dissatisfied with society.

In Japan, metal music is often used in anime and games, and girls bands play heavy metal and become popular, just because they are cool. The elements of counterculture have been forgotten. That is why the hurdles for accepting metal music are low, and I think it does not match foreign trends.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jag85  Online
@st_monica said:
@Jag85 said:

I feel that Japanese metal bands basically arrange metal music to suit their culture and erase the elements of counterculture in the process, and that's why they stay in mainstream.

For example, Rage Against the Machine has a left-wing political belief and has performed concerts in rallies such as environmental groups with strong messages. In fact, the teacher who introduced me to their music was a former student activist in the 1960s. In short, their music is not for everyone.

On the other hand, Japanese bands like Dir en grey is not involved in such activities at all. Even if they wear costumes like Satanism, everyone knows it's just a cosplay. Their audience was purely looking for a show and probably didn't feel dissatisfied with society.

In Japan, metal music is often used in anime and games, and girls bands play heavy metal and become popular, just because they are cool. The elements of counterculture have been forgotten. That is why the hurdles for accepting metal music are low, and I think it does not match foreign trends.

Interesting. Japanese metal does come across as mostly apolitical to me. That does help make it more acceptable to mainstream Japanese audiences.

Yeah, Rage Against the Machine talk about political issues like class, race, climate, etc. Which potentially alienates mainstream audiences who don't want to hear their political views.

You could say hip hop went through a similar transition. It went from a political/rebellious underground movement in the '80s to apolitical "cool" mainstream music in the 2000s. After losing its political/rebellious edge, it became acceptable to mainstream audiences. Metal had a similar phase in the '80s when it peaked in popularity, before becoming more rebellious again in the '90s, which eventually led to its mainstream decline in the 2000s.

I hear metal in a lot of anime, games and pop music from Japan. While it's mostly apolitical, some of the anime they're featured in do have a sense of counterculture and rebelliousness to them. So I wouldn't say they're entirely apolitical.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 St_Monica

@Jag85: Yeah, I think your comparison with hip hop is interesting. I haven't been very aware of the historic phase of metal that much, but it's understandable that it followed the similar cycle you drew with hip hop.

Linkin Park was an interesting band that was commercially successful by incorporating elements of non-political rap into metal. I used to go their concert and was impressed by the wide variety of fans they had. It's sad that they lost Chester and stopped working. Mike Shinoda, on the other hand, was doing hip-hop with political implications in his Fort Minor, but he's now a Twitch streamer. I feel that it somehow symbolizes the decline of metal/rap of what I liked.

I hear metal in a lot of anime, games and pop music from Japan. While it's mostly apolitical, some of the anime they're featured in do have a sense of counterculture and rebelliousness to them. So I wouldn't say they're entirely apolitical.

Well, in that case what I wrote about Japanese culture may have been a little too superficial. I just felt that way from the outside, and it may be different if you look at the details of the contents as you say.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24402 Posts

@davillain-: I also like nu metal bands like (old)Korn, Mudvayne, (old) Slipknot, Coal Chamber, Disturbed, etc.

I consider RATM to be more alternative metal than nu metal. Bands like Faith No More, Tool, and Primus are also consider alternative metal.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#29 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 10555 Posts

neither of my favorite sub-genres are in there, Post Metal (bands like Cult of Luna, Neurosis, The Ocean)

and Sludge Metal (High on Fire, Mastodon etc)

In general I'm open to anything though. Like some bands from a lot of different sub genres

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jag85  Online
@st_monica said:

@Jag85: Yeah, I think your comparison with hip hop is interesting. I haven't been very aware of the historic phase of metal that much, but it's understandable that it followed the similar cycle you drew with hip hop.

Linkin Park was an interesting band that was commercially successful by incorporating elements of non-political rap into metal. I used to go their concert and was impressed by the wide variety of fans they had. It's sad that they lost Chester and stopped working. Mike Shinoda, on the other hand, was doing hip-hop with political implications in his Fort Minor, but he's now a Twitch streamer. I feel that it somehow symbolizes the decline of metal/rap of what I liked.

Well, in that case what I wrote about Japanese culture may have been a little too superficial. I just felt that way from the outside, and it may be different if you look at the details of the contents as you say.

I feel like hip hop today is at the same stage that metal was at back in the '80s: commercialized pop music for the masses to enjoy. The emergence of grunge and nu metal in the '90s was a reaction to the commercialized "hair metal" pop music of the '80s.

Linkin Park wasn't very political, but their songs did deal with relatable themes. They drew from their personal experiences, and channeled it into their music. Chester had some horrible experiences in his childhood, and kind of channeled that into his singing. I like Shinoda's Fort Minor stuff as well, though it's more hip hop rather than metal.

Japanese politics is very different to Western politics, so a lot of anime, games and music from Japan come across as apolitical to Western audiences, when in reality some have subtle political themes that critique Japanese society. For example, individuality vs. conformity is a common theme, often criticizing the conformity and expectations of Japanese society.

St_Monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 St_Monica
@Jag85 said:

I feel like hip hop today is at the same stage that metal was at back in the '80s: commercialized pop music for the masses to enjoy. The emergence of grunge and nu metal in the '90s was a reaction to the commercialized "hair metal" pop music of the '80s.

Linkin Park wasn't very political, but their songs did deal with relatable themes. They drew from their personal experiences, and channeled it into their music. Chester had some horrible experiences in his childhood, and kind of channeled that into his singing. I like Shinoda's Fort Minor stuff as well, though it's more hip hop rather than metal.

Japanese politics is very different to Western politics, so a lot of anime, games and music from Japan come across as apolitical to Western audiences, when in reality some have subtle political themes that critique Japanese society. For example, individuality vs. conformity is a common theme, often criticizing the conformity and expectations of Japanese society.

Yeah, your comparison with hip hop now and metal in '80s sounds about right, and I miss 90s. The theme of individuality vs. conformity also seems to take place in music industry in the form of individuals making rebellious music and music that appeals to the masses commercially.

I also read about Chester's life story. It is painful to reread the lyrics they wrote as an expression of his suffering. As you say, I agree that they were channeling their experiences into music and singing.

The theme of individuality vs. conformity makes sense. There are, indeed, quite a few cases I know in anime/video games from Japan where a main character is an outsider/maverick in society, military, workplace, sports team, old village, or classroom. They often conflict with rulers, old values ​​and traditions that try to adapt them to the regime. I agree that not every time but often intense rock music, including metal, are used to empower such characters.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32  Edited By dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

It's hard to say because I like a variety of metal. If I had to pick just one, I would pick power metal. I love Dragonforce and Sabaton.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 6247 Posts

Listening to Napalm Death for the first time.

Loading Video...

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 pyro1245  Online
Member since 2003 • 7294 Posts

I'm a big fan of good thrash: Megadeth & Exodus are probably my favorites. Not a fan of most Metallica. Exodus should have been in the big four instead, easy. They are in my big four.

I like Prog Metal a lot. Opeth's Ghost Reveries is a fantastic album.

Lots of good heavy metal I like. Who doesn't love at least a little Iron Maiden? King Diamond is great too.

Black metal is cool, but I don't know much of it. It's always reminded me of really fast bluegrass. It's the same boom-chick pattern. Conversely maybe bluegrass is my favorite type of acoustic black metal 🤔

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11395 Posts

Death, but I like most of the subgenres of metal, except most core (not grindcore though) bands are crap.

Loading Video...

I also like to advertise this band every chance I get, they're like extreme heavy metal :D

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 5854 Posts

Heavy Metal.

To me, it eventually becomes too much noise and not enough melody with the other genres.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 172304 Posts

Don't really listen to metal today but have in the past. Always like some Priest. Maiden is good as well.

Heavy Metal it is.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 627 Posts

I like death and metalcore, I love a few nights metal bands from the 90s/early 2000s like disturbed or Korn.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 14778 Posts

Heavy Metal. Disturbed, A7X, Metallica, GNR are some of my favorites. Not a fan of anything louder than that.