so i'll be getting braces soon

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts
what are some of the things i can look foward too? (the cons?)
Meeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Meeeko
Member since 2008 • 635 Posts
Everybody will laugh at you. Even your family pet.
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lonewolf604
well, i know that much lol, but im asking what about the pain of eating, getting fever, how long will i have that, ect
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I feel like it is my duty to inform you about the pain you will be facing. I did just over two years of braces and it really wasn't fun at all. The results are worth it but you have to face some serious pain in order to get them. Every time, for the first several months, when you get your braces "tightened" you will be forced to eat only the softest foods available, anything else will set off every nerve ending in your mouth and cause severe discomfort. The first couple of times brought me to tears every time I tried to chew something.

Obviously, this will freak you out but it is something you need to know that orthodontists don't seem to think is worth knowing about... probably to due with the fact they wouldn't have any business. Stock up on painkillers and get a blender. Its a rough ride but straight teeth are worth it.
trubluah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trubluah
Member since 2002 • 3678 Posts
So you're saying that your life is over... welp...okay
lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lonewolf604
I feel like it is my duty to inform you about the pain you will be facing. I did just over two years of braces and it really wasn't fun at all. The results are worth it but you have to face some serious pain in order to get them. Every time, for the first several months, when you get your braces "tightened" you will be forced to eat only the softest foods available, anything else will set off every nerve ending in your mouth and cause severe discomfort. The first couple of times brought me to tears every time I tried to chew something.

Obviously, this will freak you out but it is something you need to know that orthodontists don't seem to think is worth knowing about... probably to due with the fact they wouldn't have any business. Stock up on painkillers and get a blender. Its a rough ride but straight teeth are worth it.foxhound_fox
damn....i want to go through with it anyway, i want sexy straight teeth
hell_blazer899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hell_blazer899
Member since 2006 • 1907 Posts
you're probably voted for the student's council
Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts
I had braces for four years and let me tell you, it was meh. I prefer my retainer a lot more. A lot of the time when they tightened my wires, it would feel like I had a huge cavity on all of my teeth for a week and every time my teeth were slightly touched my whole mouth shuddered in pain.
Avatar image for imthemostwanted
imthemostwanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 imthemostwanted
Member since 2008 • 988 Posts
Let me put it in perspective for you. when i first got mine i couldnt even eat a penutbutter and jelly sandwhich. you'll be eating a lot of yogurt
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I didn't honestly think that they were that bad. I mean, yeah, they were ugly and uncomfortable, but they never hurt THAT much for me, but everyone is different. I just experienced a ton of pressure on my mouth. Who knows how it'll be for you. If you ask me, they're totally worth it in the end. I have really nice teeth now and it feels good.
kdsns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kdsns
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

You'll be fine. Just think about how good your smile will look after theyre off. The pain isnt so bad, it goes away after a day or two after you have them adjusted, but yeah you wont be able to eat anything hard for those few days. So many people I knew had them as well back in high school or in junior high so its not like your the only in the world that has them. Just remember that its temporary.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
I had them a while back. The worst pain for me was the first day after I got them put in. Your teeth will be VERY sensitive, so be very careful when putting anything near your mouth lol. The pain really wasn't that bad when I went in to get them tightened. They felt a little sore, but I could easily eat solid food shortly thereafter lol. Flossing is a real pain and going to your dentist for regular cleanings are pretty much a waste of time lol.
tobenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 tobenator
Member since 2005 • 3777 Posts
In all honesty it will never be over. I've had my braces off for a few years now, and I'm still wearing my retainer. My teeth still haven't set, and the orthodontist said I should plan on wearing my retainer for the rest of my life if I want perfectly straight teeth. I thought the bone structure would heal around the teeth, but apparently it doesn't do that completely:(
barcx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 barcx17
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts
I guess it's different for everybody, but I remember when i first got them last year and I heard all the stories of the pain and how you won't be able to eat and all that stuff. To tell you the truth, the only discomfort you'll feel are in the first few days you get them. Yes you won't be able to eat that much solid food but it'll get better. I made the pain go away a little by taking some tylenol before going to bed. The first month I got braces I lost about 15lbs cause i didnt eat much. When you get your braces tighten, you will feel a little discomfort but not as much as you did on the very first day. I guess that's all I can tell you. Having braces isn't that bad, you get used to it. There are times where I forgot I even had them  :P
canucks12792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 canucks12792
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts

Obviously, this will freak you out but it is something you need to know that orthodontists don't seem to think is worth knowing about... probably to due with the fact they wouldn't have any business. Stock up on painkillers and get a blender. Its a rough ride but straight teeth are worth it.foxhound_fox

what he said

fireball_016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fireball_016
Member since 2005 • 779 Posts
You get better cell phone reception at school. Dead serious.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
In all honesty it will never be over. I've had my braces off for a few years now, and I'm still wearing my retainer. My teeth still haven't set, and the orthodontist said I should plan on wearing my retainer for the rest of my life if I want perfectly straight teeth. I thought the bone structure would heal around the teeth, but apparently it doesn't do that completely:(tobenator

No offense to your orthodontist but they are full of ****. I obviously know nothing about your particular case but no one should have to wear a retainer for the rest of their lives. There is some settling of the teeth but they don't revert back to their original setting before the braces. You should wear the retainer as long as your orthodontist tells you to for at least two years after getting them removed.

You are *supposed* to start weaning yourself off using it slowly. For the first while, you wear it all the time, then 6 months later you only wear it off and on throughout the day (and all night), then only at night, then only every second night, then only every third night and so on, until you get to about one night a week and then you won't really be needing them anymore. I know I cannot put my retainers back on my teeth but they still are as straight as they were when I got my braces off. They settled in but they are still straight as ever. It was about four years ago when I finally was able to go retainer free, and it was the most liberating feeling I'd had up until that point in my life.
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

[QUOTE="tobenator"]In all honesty it will never be over. I've had my braces off for a few years now, and I'm still wearing my retainer. My teeth still haven't set, and the orthodontist said I should plan on wearing my retainer for the rest of my life if I want perfectly straight teeth. I thought the bone structure would heal around the teeth, but apparently it doesn't do that completely:(foxhound_fox

No offense to your orthodontist but they are full of ****. I obviously know nothing about your particular case but no one should have to wear a retainer for the rest of their lives. There is some settling of the teeth but they don't revert back to their original setting before the braces. You should wear the retainer as long as your orthodontist tells you to for at least two years after getting them removed.

You are *supposed* to start weaning yourself off using it slowly. For the first while, you wear it all the time, then 6 months later you only wear it off and on throughout the day (and all night), then only at night, then only every second night, then only every third night and so on, until you get to about one night a week and then you won't really be needing them anymore. I know I cannot put my retainers back on my teeth but they still are as straight as they were when I got my braces off. They settled in but they are still straight as ever. It was about four years ago when I finally was able to go retainer free, and it was the most liberating feeling I'd had up until that point in my life.

You should definitely wear your retainer while you're still seeing your ortho. My friend didn't really wear them, and his teeth did revert. I don't remember how crooked they were before he got braces, but they're noticably crooked now, so wear your retainers! I stopped wearing mine maybe a year after I stopped going to my ortho, and fortunately my teeth haven't reverted lol. I think one tooth kind of pivoted, but I think it stopped and it's not very noticable.

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
yea definitely wear your retainer after you get your braces off, I slacked off after the first month and thought it wouldn't really matter and I noticed my bottom teeth reverted but you can barely tell. I tried to put them on later and because of the way some teeth reverted, every time I tried to back on my retainer it hurt like hell so just wear it everyday no matter how annoying it may be
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#20 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Look forward to choosing the different colour rubber band things.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127532 Posts
Look forward to choosing the different colour rubber band things.SolidSnake35
That was your best memory from it? (if you had braces) :P
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#22 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
[QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Look forward to choosing the different colour rubber band things.horgen123

I haven't had them. I just remember being impressed when my cousin's teeth were luminous pink.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127532 Posts
[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="SolidSnake35"]Look forward to choosing the different colour rubber band things.SolidSnake35

I haven't had them. I just remember being impressed when my cousin's teeth were luminous pink.

:lol: must have been pretty on photos. And smiling in general must have made a few people stare. I know I would.