So I'm in this predicament...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

To start off, my friend referred me to this link to a free-happy hour event where if I fill out a online form, I have a chance to be selected to attend a survey meeting. The meeting takes place in an 5 star Lebanese restaurant with free drinks, food, and I get a $100 gift card towards the end of it. We both filled up the form thinking we will never have a chance to be chosen. I got a call the next morning that I was the one selected. My friend want me to buy him Killing Floor 2 because he referred me to the link.

Am I morally obligated to him? Is it my fault that he wasn't chosen and I was? Should I get him the game in the act of kindness? Should I keep the money for myself? What would you guys do in this type of situation?

I know it is difficult for you guys to judge this situation because A) you don't know him B) you don't know the history between us

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

How old are you two (yes it does matter)?Well, did he told you in advance that if you got chosen you had to buy him a game? Was it implied? How good of friends are you two? He has nerve asking you that, I would never think of asking a friend for that. I hate when people put others in spot like these.

I would say no and explain to him that if he had won the gift you wouldn't expect to him to buy you anything and you didn't expect to have to buy him anything and should've had said something before hand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#3 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

It's not like if you hadn't applied he would have surely won, so while I would probably thank him and maybe buy him a drink, for him to come out and demand a game as payment doesn't sit well with me...

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts

Give him 5% of your winnings and if he's a good pal 20%.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Either your friend is joking or that he's a real jerk. Either way I would like to not lose my friends so maybe you can inform him of how ridiculous his request is politely.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

@klusps: If the game is worth a lot, then yes, your friend is being a jerk.

byof_america

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By byof_america
Member since 2006 • 1952 Posts

At first I was thinkin' you got yerself an ass fer a friend, but then i'm seein' the game would only be costin' you a 30 of that there 100 bucks. If'n i was you and i were good friends with this fella i might be a nice guy and buy 'im the game. Course, yer friend may be pullin' yer dick.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@klusps said:

To start off, my friend referred me to this link to a free-happy hour event where if I fill out a online form, I have a chance to be selected to attend a survey meeting. The meeting takes place in an 5 star Lebanese restaurant with free drinks, food, and I get a $100 gift card towards the end of it. We both filled up the form thinking we will never have a chance to be chosen. I got a call the next morning that I was the one selected. My friend want me to buy him Killing Floor 2 because he referred me to the link.

Am I morally obligated to him? Is it my fault that he wasn't chosen and I was? Should I get him the game in the act of kindness? Should I keep the money for myself? What would you guys do in this type of situation?

I know it is difficult for you guys to judge this situation because A) you don't know him B) you don't know the history between us

When proposed I would have laughed it off and said something to the effect of "you wish"

You have no obligations to your friend because of this and if he actually feels strongly about it then he's being a dick and you should let him know.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

You certainly are not obligated to restitute him for his lack of luck, but it would be the friendly thing to do as an expression of gratitude. Family and friends always come to me to buy their tech gadgets, and I always jest with them saying they'll have to buy me dessert for my trouble. I never demand it but I think its an amicable and appreciative thing to do.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@klusps said:

Sounds like a dick move on his part. To bring up another example, suppose my photographer friend says to me, 'Hey MrGeezer, you make cool photos. I just found a photography contest where the grand prize is $10,000. I'm entering, so should you. What's the harm?"

So then I enter and win the grand prize, and he's like, "nice! Now I think you should give me $5,000 just for telling you about it. I mean...if I hadn't told you about it then you never would have won. Seems fair, right?"

1) The thing is that I very well would have thrown him a bone anyway. Maybe not in the way he wanted, but I'd do something to show my appreciation. but him TELLING ME how to show my appreciation changes things. That seems less like he was being a friend to me, and more like he was just trying to help himself. As in, "if I win, I win. But if I lose and my friend wins, I can guilt trip him into giving me something. So I effectively double my chances of getting something out of the deal, by only stating some of the terms AFTER the other guy won." That's pretty shitty.

2) I'm not gonna tell you whether or not you should get him the game. I will say that if I were in your shoes, and if I bought him the game, then that would be a "parting gift."

3) Of course, that's after explaining to him what my beef is. If I'm gonna give my "friend" the cold shoulder and part ways with him, then I think i owe it to him to explain why I'm doing that. Hell, maybe he doesn't realize how big of a faux pas he made, and changes his stance after I tell him why I'm upset. But if it's a friendship that was potentially worth preserving, then I think i owe it to him to explain why it's coming to an end.