So I got into a heated debate about music......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AkimboBFGNinja
Member since 2011 • 205 Posts

with one of my friends the other day. He linked me to a video of one of Dragonforce's new single/work in progress. I wasnt very impressed and it sounded boring to me which is MY OPINION of how it sounded. I did compliment the playing and that it was cleaner and the solo was good, however I jsut wasnt feeling it. And now mind you I have not been a dragonforce fan for many years since i have seen a live performance video and was dreadfully underwhelmed, so my dislike for them has been rooted back a few years. So with that being said I listened I evaluated and yeah they can play now, but its still boring to me and that it wasnt dynamic enough for me.

My freind said how can I not like them they are heavily influenced by Iron Maiden and Rhapsody of fire. I said I did not care for them either, and that I wasnt a fan of the overall sound. Now mind you I never said they were bad jsut that I didnt care for them. My friend said my taste in metal was broken becasue "How can you like the new without liking the old". I mean really? How hard is it to understand that its jsut not my cup of tea, that I prefer newer metal bands like Kamelot, or Galneryus, or metallica rather than older power metal bands. I love power metal but only certain bands.

Has anyone have any input. 2 cents, or has anyone experienced this before?

discuss.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

All I can say is that taste and even talent is purely objective, even though some bands and artists actually are talented, such as Bowie. It's totally okay to acknowledge that and still dislike a band, as I do with most Beatles songs. If you don't like music, it just isn't suited to your taste. Almost like attraction.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AkimboBFGNinja

All I can say is that taste and even talent is purely objective, even though some bands and artists actually are talented, such as Bowie. It's totally okay to acknowledge that and still dislike a band, as I do with most Beatles songs. If you don't like music, it just isn't suited to your taste. Almost like attraction.

Spitfirer

Precisely, and thats what I was saying. I said that it was boring to me and it wasn't dynamic enough for me. And my freind said good music doesnt have to have a ton of dynamics in order to sound good, which is valid but for specific songs or even styles of music, but when dynamics arent applied correctly or it has a lack of dynamics to make it sound good that is where it matters. that and the fact that the lyris for the mojority of Dragonforces songs are boring to me, mostly all the same, typical power/epic metal about dragons and fighting evil.

I like my metal Deeper and more poetic than the typical "the POWER IS BLINDING WIH POWER!!!" or however that lyric goes hahaha.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spitfirer

I forgot to say that your friend's a douche in my last post. I think that's all that had to be said, rather than repeat what you posted.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AkimboBFGNinja

Hes a good person and hes cool, but when it comes to these debates he gets all up in arms. He was saying I was contradicting myself when I said Dragonforce wasn't dynamic enough although I listen to bands that don't have that dynamic of music. And again I said it depends on what Im listening to and what the end product sounds like. but yeah he was being a douche, and a close minded one at that. For him metal is all about speed and sounding cool (which is perfectly fine) but I like my metal more complex and deeper.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

a music argument is ultimately an argument over personal opinions. Sounds like your friend needs to understand this.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AkimboBFGNinja

a music argument is ultimately an argument over personal opinions. Sounds like your friend needs to understand this.

Serraph105

Pretty much yeah.

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Spitfirer

I don't think your friend can be reasoned with, this is something he will have to grow out of. He will one day realise that he's being totally irrational and stupid if he's as sound as you say. Sadly, I don't have the people skills or patience to deal with people like him.

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

your friend is dumb, he likes dragonforce, the obsession of 14 year old nerds everywhere.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#10 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I hate debating about music. They just end up becoming dizzying bouts of screaming matches, leaving both parties exhausted without influencing anyone in any way.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Metallica is a newer metal band?

letlive4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 letlive4
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts
lol Dragonforce i thought they were a fad..
Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

And this is why I hate going into OT's music threads, since it is a field where tastes are subjective and people act like it's objective.

letlive4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 letlive4
Member since 2011 • 134 Posts
all joking aside.. yeah, music is ALL taste. I actually enjoy some dragonforce.. I go from liking Attila to the biebs to lil wayne to black tide
AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AkimboBFGNinja

all joking aside.. yeah, music is ALL taste. I actually enjoy some dragonforce.. I go from liking Attila to the biebs to lil wayne to black tideletlive4

And that is what I was pretty much sayin to my freind but he jsut kept on saying my opinion was "flawed" and that my taste was "broken" and that I will miss out on epic things, whatever he ment by that.

F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 F1ame_Shie1d
Member since 2010 • 1389 Posts

worlock77

I was also wondering when this happened... Is TC only listening to Metallicas newest(and worst) cd?

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AkimboBFGNinja

worlock77

whoops forgot to specify that, but yeah moslty newer metal bands from Japan, or from Europe, and then Metallica is one fo the older metal bands I like.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AkimboBFGNinja

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

F1ame_Shie1d

I was also wondering when this happened... Is TC only listening to Metallicas newest(and worst) cd?

No im not I just forgot to specify that. The last album I bought of theirs was Reload.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Tell your friend HIS taste in music/metal is "broken" because he likes Dragonforce.
BoogieL0ve20xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#20 BoogieL0ve20xx
Member since 2010 • 81 Posts

Yeah, you're friend's a douche bag. If he can't let you have an opinion, one way or another, than he's just someone that wants everyone to like what he likes.... douche. Keep your opinion-as long as it's how you feel, isht, there shouldn't be a problem...

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AkimboBFGNinja
I figured everyone would be pretty level headed on this subject here, it seems my friend needs to stop being so close minded.
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
A musical argument to me is an argument no one can truly win due to it being based on y'alls personally opinions.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

I'm an OT regular.

Of course I have experienced this.This board is filled with people that get mad if you disagree with their opinion and list bands that aren't actually "metal".

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

I'm an OT regular.

Of course I have experienced this.This board is filled with people that get mad if you disagree with their opinion and list bands that aren't actually "metal".

Lto_thaG

This. The technicality nazis drive me ape **** sometimes.

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

Lol at the Dragonforce hating.

Anyone who has ventured past the sunny fields of power metal (that is, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Helloween and all that) should have met with dozens of utterly cheesy and crappy 'epic-themed' bands that make Dragonforce sound cool;

RoF at least are proficient in all their works. Dragonforce themselves are a pretty prominent power metal band, I'll have to give them that.

with o i have seen a live performance video and was dreadfully underwhelmed, so my dislike for them has been rooted back a few years. So with that being said I listened I evaluated and yeah they can play now, but its still boring to me and that it wasnt dynamic enough for me.

AkimboBFGNinja

Yeah, no...watch DF play live (not that they are great live, but most of the vids don't do 'em any justice), then form your own opinion.

If DF could ever play well, they did so on their first album, methinks.

Anyway, your friend sucks. Tell him to switch to dragonland, or something.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Metal fans are especially protective of their musical interests I find :/ I'm not really big on metal at all, but I'll listen to some of the old stuff on occasion. Best advice for discussing music though: don't do it with anyone who's interests are completely different than yours, else you're just asking for trouble.
Crimtmp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 Crimtmp
Member since 2006 • 2432 Posts

I am with you man. Metal has so many genres that I think its hard to say "You dont like good metal if you dont like _____" because you might like hundreds of other great bands. Then you say "I never said they were bad, I just do not like them" which idk why he does not understand that. I am a HUGE hip hop fan and there are plenty of classic artists that I am not a fan of but I recognize their importance.

AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AkimboBFGNinja

Lol at the Dragonforce hating.

Anyone who has ventured past the sunny fields of power metal (that is, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Helloween and all that) should have met with dozens of utterly cheesy and crappy 'epic-themed' bands that make Dragonforce sound cool;

RoF at least are proficient in all their works. Dragonforce themselves are a pretty prominent power metal band, I'll have to give them that.

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

with o i have seen a live performance video and was dreadfully underwhelmed, so my dislike for them has been rooted back a few years. So with that being said I listened I evaluated and yeah they can play now, but its still boring to me and that it wasnt dynamic enough for me.

Nude_Dude

Yeah, no...watch DF play live (not that they are great live, but most of the vids don't do 'em any justice), then form your own opinion.

If DF could ever play well, they did so on their first album, methinks.

Anyway, your friend sucks. Tell him to switch to dragonland, or something.

Well I did see a live video and was not very impressed, but hey thats just me.